News:

Main Menu

Women and ties

Started by Beorning, September 26, 2013, 07:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

A silly question for everyone to consider:

Should women wear ties? Would that be a normal fashion choice, or something that would smack of "wrong", like men wearing skirts?

If it's the latter, then what to do about all these uniforms that require women to wear ties (like cop uniforms, military uniforms in my country)? If ties just aren't a female article of clothing, then what to replace them with?

As I said: a silly thing to consider in your spare time ;D

Florence

What's wrong with men wearing skirts?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Beorning

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt  ;D

You don't see men wearing pencils skirts or mins, do you?

Chris Brady

"Es nae a skirt, it'sa KILT.  And 'Kilts' whatcher gunna be iffin' ye callin' it a skirt!"
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Blythe

Quote from: Beorning on September 26, 2013, 07:06:43 PM
A silly question for everyone to consider:

Should women wear ties? Would that be a normal fashion choice, or something that would smack of "wrong", like men wearing skirts?

Nothing wrong with women wearing ties. I think it makes ladies look confident and strong. I think a tie is an article of clothing that works well for all genders to add a nice dash of professionalism to a person's wardrobe.

Oniya

No one said anything about the girls wearing ties in Harry Potter.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Neckties became a fashion staple for some women back in the 70s or 80s I think when the Women's Lib movement was strong.  I see ties with uniforms as a way of emphasizing the uniform and what it stands for over the person wearing it, as in not a man or woman but a police officer.  Wearing ties today is fine by me.  I do it now and then myself. ;D

Oniya

I've worn a tie in cosplay before, but I was portraying a male character.  I was absurdly pleased with the fact that it only took me two or three times to get the darn thing tied correctly.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 26, 2013, 08:46:49 PM
I've worn a tie in cosplay before, but I was portraying a male character.  I was absurdly pleased with the fact that it only took me two or three times to get the darn thing tied correctly.
I like wearing suits with ties, and I can't even get the damn thing on in less than two tries. :\

More on topic their are women-style neckties, usually used in female military uniforms the world over.

No, it is not considered improper fashion for women to wear four-in-hands though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on September 26, 2013, 08:16:34 PM
Neckties became a fashion staple for some women back in the 70s or 80s I think when the Women's Lib movement was strong.  I see ties with uniforms as a way of emphasizing the uniform and what it stands for over the person wearing it, as in not a man or woman but a police officer.  Wearing ties today is fine by me.  I do it now and then myself. ;D

+1. The "professional uniform" factor is a key thing I think, but it only works with fairly narrow, wedge-shaped ties. Wide, leaf-like and aggressively patterned ties do interfere with a lady's cleavage, no matter how much of it she is...exposing.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dhi

I think of men's fashion as woefully uncreative and mired in tradition. I'm hardly the first woman to feel this way. Le Suit And Tie has throughout the ages been hopelessly dated and outclassed by women's fashion at every recognizable period of history. All that really differs from one man to another, one complexion and build to another, across hundreds of years of male fashion, is the fit of the suit.

I suspect that for many women who put on a tie, the irony of wearing something so blasé is more compelling than the sense that ties are for men. This was definitely the case in the goth/punk scene when I was growing up.

Enjoy your ties, fellas. I have about forty different things I can put around my neck and look fabulous.

Oniya

Ties can be so much fun, though.  What other fashion accessory can double as a blindfold, a leash, and restraints, and still be worn to a business meeting?

Beorning

Personally, I don't enjoy ties. I think they are stupid and try to wear them as rarely as possible  ;)

Inkidu, what would the "women-style neckties" be like?

Inkidu

Quote from: Beorning on September 27, 2013, 09:39:52 AM
Personally, I don't enjoy ties. I think they are stupid and try to wear them as rarely as possible  ;)

Inkidu, what would the "women-style neckties" be like?

Quote from: Dhi on September 27, 2013, 09:33:15 AM
I think of men's fashion as woefully uncreative and mired in tradition. I'm hardly the first woman to feel this way. Le Suit And Tie has throughout the ages been hopelessly dated and outclassed by women's fashion at every recognizable period of history. All that really differs from one man to another, one complexion and build to another, across hundreds of years of male fashion, is the fit of the suit.

I suspect that for many women who put on a tie, the irony of wearing something so blasé is more compelling than the sense that ties are for men. This was definitely the case in the goth/punk scene when I was growing up.

Enjoy your ties, fellas. I have about forty different things I can put around my neck and look fabulous.
When it's perfect you don't mess with it. ;)

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I remember that top one from Girl Scouts.  >_>  The bottom one looks a bit like something Daphne would wear.

Dhi

Quote from: Oniya on September 27, 2013, 09:39:21 AM
Ties can be so much fun, though.  What other fashion accessory can double as a blindfold, a leash, and restraints, and still be worn to a business meeting?
Hair ribbon.

As a blindfold, it's not going to do the job spectacularly, I'll admit.

Avis habilis

Speaking of military uniforms, here's a woman petty officer in dinner dress (sharp!), which includes the women's equivalent of a bow tie.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Beorning on September 27, 2013, 09:39:52 AM

Around the same time that some women adopted the male necktie as standard fashion men began wearing turtleneck or mock turtleneck shirts with their suits in place of the dress shirt and tie for the comfort factor as well as a response to women wearing ties.  Some men still do that though it isn't as common today.

Avis habilis

But then you end up looking like a luchador.

Nadir

O.o

In England, school uniforms usually include a tie. Not "special girl tie", it's... it's not a gender restricted garment

Beorning

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on September 27, 2013, 10:21:53 AM
Around the same time that some women adopted the male necktie as standard fashion men began wearing turtleneck or mock turtleneck shirts with their suits in place of the dress shirt and tie for the comfort factor as well as a response to women wearing ties.  Some men still do that though it isn't as common today.

That's what I do! Suit + turtleneck = win  ;D

Quote from: Avis habilis on September 27, 2013, 09:53:29 AM
Speaking of military uniforms, here's a woman petty officer in dinner dress (sharp!), which includes the women's equivalent of a bow tie.

You know... with all due respect, that dinner dress uniform is just awful. It looks like a cross between an evening dress and a normal uniform without having the charm of neither.

BTW. In general, these "female neckties" (necktabs) US military uses look even worse than normal neckties... They aren't a good alternative, really.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on September 27, 2013, 09:39:21 AM

*imagines two sweaty, unkempt boardroom tigers trying to strangle each other with a grip on each other's ties/leashes.*

Oniya

Quote from: Dim Hon on September 27, 2013, 12:20:46 PM
O.o

In England, school uniforms usually include a tie. Not "special girl tie", it's... it's not a gender restricted garment

That's precisely what I was thinking of earlier.  (Of course, all the pictures I could find were pre-18, so there was that.)

gaggedLouise

Necktie pulling in the office (don't miss the row of more aggressive images at the foot of the page!)

;)