unConventional: Cosplay Gets Real! [Recruiting]

Started by Foxy DeVille, July 31, 2021, 10:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy DeVille

Every year swarms of geeks, nerds, dorks, and really attractive young women descend upon the SoCal city of Santa Mira for the Golden State Comic Con! Many of them arrive dressed as their favorite characters from comics, anime, sci-fi, and video games. Friendships, rivalries, and one night stands are all born on this glorious weekend. But this time there is a new visitor, one who wanders the convention amused at all the costumes and wonders what if these mere mortals didn’t just wear the guise of their idols… what if they really were their idols? A small group of cosplayers find out when fantasy becomes reality and they gain the abilities of the character they are dressed as! How will they react? What will they do with their new abilities? How will it affect their normal lives? Will their appearance change? What if the personality of the character starts influencing their own? It’s all very…

This idea is… what it says up there. People in “the real world” suddenly get abilities of whoever they’ve dressed up as. Regular fans, pro cosplayers, booth babes, actors hyping movies… any sort of person that would be at a major comic convention. As characters they portray, again anything that would be at a con goes, including genderswaps and original/alternate takes. A few things…

1. The player characters are all 18 and up
2. Likewise face claims, per site rules, so use people that can be identified please
3. The characters PCs cosplay as should also be adults
4. PCs can have been dressed as the same subject
5. This will be a sandbox for the most part as players decide how their characters are affected by their new changes
6. There is a source for all this that might have a secret motive…*cue fiendish laughter*

Overall this will be just a fun way to behave like normal people really would if they suddenly had great power but not so much responsibility. Sound like a good time? Then let me know and feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Santa Mira
Santa Mira is a city in Southern California that isn’t on any maps so don’t bother trying to find it. It has a couple hundred thousand residents, a diverse population, good quality of life, a UC campus, awesome weather, lots of cool small business, entertaining nightlife, and is less than half an hour away from the beach, the mountains, and Downtown Los Angeles. Being located in such a swell town has helped the Golden State Comic Con grow over the last few decades as the locals enjoy the quirkiness of the convention, not to mention the big influx of cash that comes along with it. The city even has a cosplay parade on the first day.

Golden State Comic Convention

The Golden State Comic Con began in 1996, making this one the 25th Anniversary Spectacular. It takes place annually over Labor Day weekend and has become home to all kinds of geekery beyond the funny books. It had a mind-boggling amount of booths shilling all sorts of nerdy sway with some employing lovely young ladies in gratuitously skimpy attire to entice potential patrons. There are tons of special guests from cult favorite underground artists to the casts of big budget Hollywood movies. The GSCC prides itself on being LGBTQ friendly and tries to create a positive experience for all. It is primarily located in the Golden State Convention Center but some events are held at the nearby El Dorado Hotel plus Santa Mira itself has things going on that tie in with the convention. But what people really think about when they picture the con are the cosplayers. There are contests and workshops throughout the event.

El Dorodo Hotel

The El Dorado Hotel is a fine establishment that is only a short walk from the convention center. It has space of its own for some booths and events as well as the usual amenities one finds at a quality hotel, including a gym, pool, tennis court, and a bar. Combined with the specials it offers convention goers, this makes it a popular place to stay for those from out of town. While most Hollywood celebs simply return to LA, there have been times when A-listers occupy the penthouse suites. During the weekend if the con the El Dorado tends to be a bit more lenient about the behavior of its guests but it is advised not to push things too far.

[center][size=18pt][glow=blue,2,300][u][b]CHARACTER HERE[/b][/u][/glow][/size][/center]

[float=right][img height=400 padding=5]IMAGE LINK HERE[/img][/float]

[b]Gender: [/b]
[b]Age: [/b]
[b]Occupation: [/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation: [/b]

[b]Cosplaying As: [/b]
[b]General Appearance: [/b]
[b]Faceclaim: [/b]

[b]Brief Bio and Background: [/b]

[b]Skills and Talents: [/b]

[b]Cosplay Persona Abilities: [/b]

[b]Personality: [/b]

[b]Ons/Offs: [/b]

[b]Extras: [/b]

Sketch

I mean, definitely sounds like a great idea in my book. I'll plant the flag of interest.

Anna Katrine

Putting down my interest as well, just need to figure out who I might play and what their costume would be :)

Annisthyrienne

Question: What about the age of the characters the PCs come to the con dressed as? For example, a 26 year old Star Wars/Clone Wars fan comes dressed as Ahsoka Tano from the 7th season of The Clone Wars.  Ahsoka was assumed to be 17 during those episodes.  To further complicate things, Ahsoka's race, the Togruta, may not age the same way as humans. So maybe her level of development physically and mentally/emotionally is the human equivalent of 17, but she is actually older in years than that.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Annisthyrienne on July 31, 2021, 01:27:29 PM
Question: What about the age of the characters the PCs come to the con dressed as? For example, a 26 year old Star Wars/Clone Wars fan comes dressed as Ahsoka Tano from the 7th season of The Clone Wars.  Ahsoka was assumed to be 17 during those episodes.  To further complicate things, Ahsoka's race, the Togruta, may not age the same way as humans. So maybe her level of development physically and mentally/emotionally is the human equivalent of 17, but she is actually older in years than that.

If that much work has to go into explaining a character's age then it'll be much better to not be dressed as that character.

EDIT: Added a rule that cosplay subjects must also be adults.

Kadigan

Out of curiosity what about peripherals?

Example, Thor - Does Mjolnir become real? Or if you were say Michael Knight, would KITT be waiting in the parking lot? Or is it only IN the building?

Foxy DeVille

Yes to peripherals! And I dig the idea of something like a Knight Rider cosplayer not realizing anything's up until they go out to the parking lot and their Hyundai is now KITT.

Marie Reynolds

Hmm I would be interested in this. I think I might bring along someone that cosplays as Zatana Zatara! This would be perfect for that cause I am always to worried about playing existing characters like that and doing them justice. I  could create my own character and play with the concept and abilities of Zatana. Now is it just powers or do we get skills inherent to the character as well. Like Zatana's Escapology skills and such.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on July 31, 2021, 05:01:29 PM
Hmm I would be interested in this. I think I might bring along someone that cosplays as Zatana Zatara! This would be perfect for that cause I am always to worried about playing existing characters like that and doing them justice. I  could create my own character and play with the concept and abilities of Zatana. Now is it just powers or do we get skills inherent to the character as well. Like Zatana's Escapology skills and such.

Skills too!

Green Goo Theory

What sort of limit is there going to be on the power level of the chosen characters?  Also, is it kind of on us to choose how much physically changes? 
Coming soon...

Angie

Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on July 31, 2021, 11:30:58 PM
What sort of limit is there going to be on the power level of the chosen characters?  Also, is it kind of on us to choose how much physically changes?

I don't see need for power limits. The concept is seeing how otherwise ordinary people would respond to suddenly have these abilities plopped onto them so it's whatever you think would be fun and interesting to explore.

And yes, any physical changes are up to y'all for similar reasons.

Levi

A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

stormwyrm

If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

blue bunny sparkle

Athem

Sounds like an interesting idea. I think there's a lot of comedy potential in superhero tropes colliding with real life  ;D

Green Goo Theory

I kind of want to see, and am considering, characters with big negatives and how those would translate.  Like if they're cosplaying a spirit or ghost with tons of rules that they now have to follow.  Or someone with situational powers like Escanor or The Hulk.
Coming soon...

AlizsahTheBard

Colour me interested - regarding gender-bent cosplays does that mean if a guy dressed as a girl character he would become the girl too? If so I am so in <3.
A Tiefling Most Private (Naughty Thot) Thoughts - AlizsahTheBard Search Thread
"And so we go, on with our lives. We know the truth but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss. Why go against tradition when we can?
Admit defeat, live in decline! Be the victim of our own design...
The status quo, built on suspect. Why would anyone stick out their neck?"
The Decline NOFX

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: AlizsahTheBard on August 01, 2021, 07:42:25 PM
Colour me interested - regarding gender-bent cosplays does that mean if a guy dressed as a girl character he would become the girl too? If so I am so in <3.

If you wanna then sure!

Callie Del Noire

Definitely interested. Thinking crossdressing as Shego or supergirl.

Foxy DeVille

Okee doke. So this did the explode-o bigger and faster than I thought. I'll start firming up the concept and making up a sheet.