News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest: D&D 3.5 Gestalt (Seeking GM/Group)

Started by PhantomPistoleer, April 26, 2011, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Hi!

I'm dying to play in a D&D 3.5 Gestalt campaign, preferably in the 4th-6th level range.  I know it's a long shot finding a GM.

What I'm looking for is a party-centric campaign where the characters are manageable.  There is a leader, and everyone follows said leader, and choices are considered democratically.  I'm interested in a group dynamic that borders on being something of a corporation, with characters understanding and being contractually bound to the group as a whole.  Of course beggars can't be choosers, and I'll probably nip at anything that comes my way.

Except, I'm not interested in being part of a HUGE group that has to be split up to make things manageable.  For whatever reason, I typically don't get placed into groups with the people I'm really hoping to play with.

Please and thanks!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Wintercat

I might consider running this, on the side, but I'd got a few key questions to ask first.

a) What 'Theme' are you looking for?
If its a dungeon crawl and challenges against monsters, I have no problem with the bash the door in and beat them up gameplay, but if you are looking for a game where you are put in an investigator's position or tracking down crooks, or even trying to deal with a royalty at one another's throats, then I'd like to hear the thoughts beforehand. I've run "war" games, I've run "deceit" games, as well as hybrids, but I prefer knowing. ''

Likewise, is this 'Grimdark' Fantasy? Is your desire for a more 'Idyllic' Fantasy, perhaps one that you need to protect? Or is it a blend of the two, a more 'Balanced' Fantasy where dark elements are present but where you can find havens where a more secure feel can be achieved ?

b) What is the 'Rating' you are looking for?
Is the game intended to be 'classic' Dungeons and Dragons play in a sense, its adventurers against monsters and villains and that's what its all about? Or is the game intended to be more dark with gore and brutality and a fear of death in the air? Are you looking for a game where mature themes of sexuality emerge one form or another? A general idea of where you think the game should be on those lines.

c) What is the 'team size' you are looking for?
Personally I've thought that D&D 3.5 works best with 3-6 players, with the 4 being generally an optimal size with the rules that are available. That doesn't take the GM into account of course, we're talking of the players with each playing a single character in the tale. If you've got different numbers in mind, I'd rather know beforehand.

d) Free-Roam or Grand Quest?
Which is more your play-style? Do you prefer to wander the land and actively seek adventure yourself, or do you like it the way many computer games provide a story, a grand quest comes in your path and though what you decide to do along that path is upto you, it seems that fates are telling you that you are going to be needed?

Even if it turns out that we can't share a tale, I'd like to ask this information for any other prospective DMs to view through as well. Maybe it'll help you find the DM and the players who share your thoughts.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Wintercat on April 28, 2011, 03:34:53 AM
a) What 'Theme' are you looking for?
If its a dungeon crawl and challenges against monsters, I have no problem with the bash the door in and beat them up gameplay, but if you are looking for a game where you are put in an investigator's position or tracking down crooks, or even trying to deal with a royalty at one another's throats, then I'd like to hear the thoughts beforehand. I've run "war" games, I've run "deceit" games, as well as hybrids, but I prefer knowing. ''

My preferred concept is an adventurer seeking fame and fortune.  Basic D&D, essentially.  That generally puts him into harm's way in a dungeon, I suppose, but I'm not opposed to different adventures having different themes.  Also, I really like the difficulties (whether those difficulties be legal or physical) of obtaining passage to the dungeon.  I'm not interested in partaking in a "war" game, however, if it means that my character has to control armies.  I would much rather prefer to play as a soldier in a unit in a grand-scale battle, if and only if fighting in said battle will grant him access to a dungeon.

Likewise, is this 'Grimdark' Fantasy? Is your desire for a more 'Idyllic' Fantasy, perhaps one that you need to protect? Or is it a blend of the two, a more 'Balanced' Fantasy where dark elements are present but where you can find havens where a more secure feel can be achieved?

I prefer grim fantasies where civilization is at constant war with hordes of monsters and city states are at constant war with one another.  People are rough, callous, selfish, but one can always find vice among them.

b) What is the 'Rating' you are looking for?
Is the game intended to be 'classic' Dungeons and Dragons play in a sense, its adventurers against monsters and villains and that's what its all about? Or is the game intended to be more dark with gore and brutality and a fear of death in the air? Are you looking for a game where mature themes of sexuality emerge one form or another? A general idea of where you think the game should be on those lines.

I'm looking for something that is a bit more brutal, I think.  I feel that D&D already has a lot of subtext when it comes to sex, but it's just implicit.  Orcs raping women has always been an issue, for example.  I feel that it's important for characters in game to have sexual liaisons (and enormous libidos), but I feel that this part emerges on account of the adventurer's thrill-seeking nature, and not because people are more likely to have outrageous sex in the world.  Sex dungeons, as it were, can have a place if it's appropriate:  say that the group is sifting through a lost temple of the Goddess of love.  But I'm not particularly looking for doing something like that.  Also, I'm not keen on using the erotic books.

c) What is the 'team size' you are looking for?
Personally I've thought that D&D 3.5 works best with 3-6 players, with the 4 being generally an optimal size with the rules that are available. That doesn't take the GM into account of course, we're talking of the players with each playing a single character in the tale. If you've got different numbers in mind, I'd rather know beforehand.

I totally agree with you.  I'm not keen on playing large groups, and I'm also not keen playing solos.  I would prefer not to play in a party full of sexually inaccessible characters, however.  Also, I want there to be a limit as to how many character classes you can pick for a single character (for example, I don't want to see a Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Wizard 1 gestalted with a Cleric 1/Barbarian 3/Swordsage 2).  I don't want to give a limit, I just don't want things to get unreasonable.

d) Free-Roam or Grand Quest?
Which is more your play-style? Do you prefer to wander the land and actively seek adventure yourself, or do you like it the way many computer games provide a story, a grand quest comes in your path and though what you decide to do along that path is upto you, it seems that fates are telling you that you are going to be needed?

I don't really like "grand quests," but I don't want it to be "free-form."  The best example of what I prefer is something akin to the Sunless Citadel, which has a clue inside of it as to the location of another dungeon.  I don't want to give you the impression that I only like playing dungeons.  I also enjoy transit between towns, whenever there is any.

--

Thanks for your interest, Wintercat.  I'm very happy to respond to your questions, as I had thought the idea dead in the water since yesterday.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

RubySlippers

I'm posting possible interest then I was waiting for the replies to the question but never Gestalted before so am a virgin in this sort of DnD. My idea though is a simple one combine two base classes I'm not all that fancy like a old style multi-class such as a Fighter/Thief or a Cleric/Wizard or a Monk/Sorceror keeping it simpler as examples.

Wintercat

Thank you for your answers, PhantomPistoller, and welcome along, RubySlippers.

I personally prefer to avoid having 10+ classes on 1 character if possible. I personally prefer playing a Core Class a long way, or for a gestalt, playing 2 core classes. I am not much of a multi-classer in general, and my NPCs may reflect this, but if you are alright with that I would not mind running this game.

I have a fair sized number of 3.5 Edition D&D books, as well as some 3.0 books and Pathfinder books. I don't touch 4.0. I also have some Forgotten Realms books, and Eberron books, but I'd prefer to avoid setting-specific books at least. The reason I mention this is I'd like to talk ab it about what books could be looked through for materials, and what people would want to ban from the game. Personally at least, I'd want to keep all "Dragon Magazine" content out. I don't have them, and can't check it if someone is cheating. I doubt anyone here would really want to cheat but it takes 1 bad apple to ruin an entire game sometimes.

I'd prefer to leave the erotic material to the players themselves, if they want to flirt with a barmaid, I can NPC her but she might be world-weary and not too keen on responding in a grimdark world. Nonetheless, the above example of a Temple of a Love Goddess was a good point, such places would certainly warrant their share of attention.

As would breaking into an evil wizard's tower only to find him in Bed with a Succubus and staring at the adventurers in shock...

Which might be because they just broke the magic sigils keeping the succubus from gulping down his very soul, by pushing the door open and scraping the chalkmarks in the floor near it.

Anyhow, I am not against the idea, and I could try it. I would like to know if there's more interest before starting. I think that I'd appreciate having a 3rd member for the party still before giving it a 'go', and 4 would be best. 5 or 6 if there was that much attention, could be negotiated with the group.

I've tried to run some D&D games before, the action seems to die out when someone goes missing in the middle of combat though. For that reason, I'd probably insist on NPCing a character if their player is gone too long, to keep the game from bogging down too much, especially with a fight scene.

But for a thought, here's one post to think about, as a possible game. To see if the atmosphere is right and what not.

The Tradegate of Trisholm

The world has become a dangerous place, and the stranger may be a threat. Little hamlets and villages quiet down when a rider passes by. There are few places that hold up the civilization's presence though. Towns dot the countryside here and there, and old ruins stand where borders of kingdoms used to lay. These days, the rule of those kingdoms is rarely felt, so weakened by the years of wear and tear that their grasp on their own lands has been lost, and rarely felt.

The sun was setting over the lands and the little town of Trisholm was preparing for the nightfall. The few merchants that had followed the old trade road had already settled into the local inn to wait until daylight to continue their travel by morning, the guards had been sent to watch over the walls surrounding the town. The west and east gates were being closed when a guard on the wall shouted at the west wall, rising his voice. "I see travellers, hold the doors a little longer."

So they did, but not without calling a few more guards near, just in case. The region was dangerous, and they wanted to know what was coming in, Whoever it was, would have to pass by the guard sergeant before being allowed into the town. That was the rule, after the sun had set in the horizon. These strangers came far too close to nightfall for the guard to give them a gentler treatment.

Chainmails kept making thier ringing noise as the guards set up ready to slam the gates shut and bar them with the sturdy beam once the travellers were in, the additional guards standing at ready with their hands holding onto their spears just in case.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

abandoneddolly

I would be intrested in playing. If you need another player. I have always wanted to do something dand  but never really had the oppurtunity. I have all the 3.5 books.

PhantomPistoleer

I'm interested to see what books you'll be permitting.

I don't really understand psionics, and I'm not particular to incarnum classes.

I'm personally thinking of playing a ranger/rogue...  but I'll have to see what everyone else develops.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

SomeGuy

I'd be interested as a player, the more grim setting is a nice change and I love gestalt. It makes various builds and interesting, but not necessarily good PrCs more viable.

I am a very firm believer in part cooperation, having your own story and stuff is great- working against the rest of the party because "it's what they would do" isn't.

Ugh, the stories I could tell...

Wintercat

With 4 players, I think we got a necessary number to form a good team with there already. While I think 1-2 people might still be allowed, I think that this is already a fairly good size.

The game is PhantomPistoleer's thought, however, so I'm just along as a DM that would be willing to run this game.

@SomeGuy: Agreed, I've seen two people who stabbed one another to death in one of the games, because one was Lawful Good and the other was Chaotic Neutral that pulled a damn nasty prank on the LG character, who seemed to ascribe to a 'Eye for an Eye' type of Law and things escalated.

Now, as for the books I think that I could make small lists of 'OK' and 'NO' books briefly, and you are free to comment about additions.

---OK---
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Dragon Magic
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Magic Item Compendium
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Spell Compendium
---NO---
Book of Erotic Fantasy (While I think Sexuality is fine in game, do you people want to play sex with rules?)
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Complete Psionic
Drow of the Underdark (Unless you want the whole game to be about Drow, please, no.)
Expanded Psionics Handbook (I am willing to lift this restriction if people are in favor of it, but Psionics add a whole notch to difficulty at times)
Tome of Battle (I would prefer to make this clear: If you want to use this book, the NPCs will too.)
Tome of Magic (Same as above.)

Those would be the books available to players, what Monstrous Manuals I'd pick to use would be upto me. I'd also prefer to keep setting specific rulebooks out, so no Eberron or Forgotten Realms specific classes or such.

As for deities for the divine-class players, I think we could get along with the standard Pantheon in the Player's Handbook, and that's all the deities that are known to the players. There may be few more, but they're monstrous deities mainly.

This game, if you want me to run it that is, would also contain the following characteristics to start with:

Level: 6
Gestalt Rule: Players can combine 2 classes as per Gestalt rules, but the classes are set at level 1 and unchangeable. If you take a Prestige Class, you take -1- class. You don't take 1 level of previous classes/new class AND 1 level of prestige class. So leaving the initial 'Duality' of Gestalt means you accept a loss of power growth.
Ability Scores: All abilities start at 10, and you can divide 28 points among them. 11 through 16 costs 1 point per increase, the final 2 ability increases cost 2 ability points per increase. So, Ability score of 16 costs 6 points, and 18 costs 10 points. Racial ability modifiers follow after, and you get +1 Ability Point for Level 4 ability increase.
Starting Wealth: All characters possess a total wealth of 15,000 gold pieces. This is 2,000 gold pieces more than standard adventurer for the level would have, but I believe it should go along with their more-than-average abilities to have also acquired a little more rewards. No single item can cost more than 7,500 gold pieces however, or you have to check it with me first and have some very convincing reason how you have come across something that costly.
Experience: All players begin at 15,000 xp, and need 21,000 xp for their next level up.
Crafting Magic Items: Negotiable, but character will acquire 'XP debt' they have to pay before they will begin acquiring experience, lagging them behind others. I wont drop their level for this, but will lay down this penalty. Likewise, the 'XP debt' has a maximum of 1,000 experience spent on crafting some items.

I'll listen to any other questions, complaints, and screams now then.
A&A

SomeGuy

Quote from: Wintercat on April 28, 2011, 11:40:05 AM@SomeGuy: Agreed, I've seen two people who stabbed one another to death in one of the games, because one was Lawful Good and the other was Chaotic Neutral that pulled a damn nasty prank on the LG character, who seemed to ascribe to a 'Eye for an Eye' type of Law and things escalated.

There was another good one where someone made a character who only had one goal, being left completely alone. They then got pissed when no one else was willing to spend our time trying to convince her she should come along with us after the second time she left.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Wintercat on April 28, 2011, 11:40:05 AM
Now, as for the books I think that I could make small lists of 'OK' and 'NO' books briefly, and you are free to comment about additions.

---OK---
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Dragon Magic
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Magic Item Compendium
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Spell Compendium
---NO---
Book of Erotic Fantasy (While I think Sexuality is fine in game, do you people want to play sex with rules?)
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Complete Psionic
Drow of the Underdark (Unless you want the whole game to be about Drow, please, no.)
Expanded Psionics Handbook (I am willing to lift this restriction if people are in favor of it, but Psionics add a whole notch to difficulty at times)
Tome of Battle (I would prefer to make this clear: If you want to use this book, the NPCs will too.)
Tome of Magic (Same as above.)

Quote from: Wintercat on April 28, 2011, 11:40:05 AM
Level: 6
Gestalt Rule: Players can combine 2 classes as per Gestalt rules, but the classes are set at level 1 and unchangeable. If you take a Prestige Class, you take -1- class. You don't take 1 level of previous classes/new class AND 1 level of prestige class. So leaving the initial 'Duality' of Gestalt means you accept a loss of power growth.
Ability Scores: All abilities start at 10, and you can divide 28 points among them. 11 through 16 costs 1 point per increase, the final 2 ability increases cost 2 ability points per increase. So, Ability score of 16 costs 6 points, and 18 costs 10 points. Racial ability modifiers follow after, and you get +1 Ability Point for Level 4 ability increase.
Starting Wealth: All characters possess a total wealth of 15,000 gold pieces. This is 2,000 gold pieces more than standard adventurer for the level would have, but I believe it should go along with their more-than-average abilities to have also acquired a little more rewards. No single item can cost more than 7,500 gold pieces however, or you have to check it with me first and have some very convincing reason how you have come across something that costly.
Experience: All players begin at 15,000 xp, and need 21,000 xp for their next level up.
Crafting Magic Items: Negotiable, but character will acquire 'XP debt' they have to pay before they will begin acquiring experience, lagging them behind others. I wont drop their level for this, but will lay down this penalty. Likewise, the 'XP debt' has a maximum of 1,000 experience spent on crafting some items.

I'm okay with this, with exception to the gestalt rule imposed.  I emphatically do not like the switch between gestalt and single-class when reaching a prestige class.  Couldn't we just limit it to one prestige class per gestalt level (so you can't be two gestalt classes at the same time)?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

RubySlippers

I have access to only the core rulebook and whatever else is in the on-line SRD and have to check over the Gestalt rules since I don't want a prestige class not sure how this is going to work overall.

EDIT: Ok as I read them I would be a 6th Level character with the best of both core classes taken in everything and would be its own unique class like a Barbarian/Fighter would get a d12 a level, lots of feats, rage and the barbarian abilities assuming in suitable armor and the best of the respective saves and skill points. Correct? [Example only not sure what two I'll take right now.]

Wintercat

@RubySlippers: Your summary seems right in my view, yes. You take the best of the classes, and combine them. Fighter grants access to extra feats and barbarian to the rage and good HD. They have similar saves, so you'd take good save progression with all the saves they have good, and combine the list of available skills, and choose the -higher- amount of skill points per level. It seems right to me.

@PhantomPistoleer: Gestalts and Prestiges have a likelyhood of making things very confusing at some point. I am willing to consider a rule that you Start with 2 classes, as per Gestalt rules, but you can replace one of these 2 classes with Prestige Class Levels at some point onwards. The other Gestalt class must come from either one of the original 2 classes, it can alternate, but every level at least 1 of the levels must be from the original pairing. Similarily, prestige class can be abandoned and changed for another (For a 4-class total) but in that case, you still have to take one of the classes you began with for one of the Gestalt levels, and you can spend 1 for the new prestige if you wish.

I've seen powerhouses done with Gestalt so I prefer to lay down some limitation to it.

If you would prefer another style of play, you have players and you have clear cut ideas on what you want and questions answered. I think it should make it easier to find another DM in case you find I am not the DM you are looking for.
A&A

PhantomPistoleer

I actually prefer the rule that you proposed, Wintercat.

I would prefer to start with two classes that you can prestige one basic class into (maintaining gestalt even at prestige).  What you suggested is very sound, and to my liking, since I'm not particular to creating a very complicated character.  I disliked the original idea simply because it wasn't gestalt.

How are we to calculate HP?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Wintercat

I prefer to have the heroes usually blessed with a lot of will to live and power to cling to it, so I tend to usually suggest that players get the maximum hit points per level, not rolling them. Though for a grimdark setting, I wonder if I should suggest one of the two other alternatives.

Option 1)
You roll your hit points, but if your total is less than half, treat your roll as if it was on the upper half of the dice roll. In Example, a D4 health roll for a wizard comes off 1, you get 3 HP + Constitution modifier, a barbarian rolls a 5, that's 11 hit points (second biggest possible with the d12), your fighter rolls a 5, you get the total 10, your priest with d8 rolls a 7, that's a 7, the sorcerer happens to roll a 2, with the d4, that's a 4.
So, basically, you get half HP minimum, but its still upto the die.

Option 2)
You get to roll HP with 3 dice, and pick your favorite. If you roll 3 dice and get '1' on all of them, well then your character really got the short end of the stick that time.
A&A

SomeGuy

I was thinking of using the swiftblade PrC if no one has a problem with it.

Also, I like both options but favor 1.

PhantomPistoleer

I'm going to be particular to any of these options, Wintercat.

For my part, I'm heavily considering being a Ranger 5 -> Order of the Bow Initiate 1, with no idea as to what my second class will be.  Maybe Rogue, maybe Scout, maybe something else.  I also have been toying with the idea of being part of a nightsong, shadowbane or daggerspell duo.  My partner would have to put out, though. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Wintercat

I prefer to keep materials to books I know and have, but I am willing to permit the PrC from the official WoTC site *IF* all the players agree to it. I have had games ruined because of bickering over unfair advantage, and won't follow that path again, too much Drama.

So, waiting till I've heard everyone's thoughts on that before approving it, if someone doesn't like it then I will have to ask SomeGuy to look for an alternative to that in your build.

PhantomPistoleer, I thought only the BoEF had things that require you to have someone to 'put out' for the benefits to be gained? Or are you referring to a character personality with those classes involved demanding it then?
A&A

SomeGuy

Pretty sure he's talking about personal interaction, not actual mechanics. If anyone has any issues with swiftblade, please say so. It really isn't something critical, or even hard to replace. I just think the class features are nifty.

RubySlippers

Barbarian/Fighter Half-Orc Female who is agile, uber-strong and has a decent con with an Int 8, Wis 10 and Cha 12 (14 likely around her kind) and who can use two bastard swords at once and knows how to use them! With diversify a bit elsewhere also starting with improved unarmed combat so she can beat up people in bars with pinache.

Ok not very orginal but who cannot love the big not to bright character with big sharp weapons and who can add in barbarian abilities to the fighter feats - oweiiiiii!

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: SomeGuy on April 28, 2011, 01:33:22 PM
Pretty sure he's talking about personal interaction, not actual mechanics. If anyone has any issues with swiftblade, please say so. It really isn't something critical, or even hard to replace. I just think the class features are nifty.

I think that there are two problems with the swiftblade.  One, the GM hasn't said it's allowed.  Two, it's a gestalted class.  But it's not for me to say.

Edit:  But I don't actually have a problem with the class, per se.  I think it's neat.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 28, 2011, 01:35:34 PM
Barbarian/Fighter Half-Orc Female who is agile, uber-strong and has a decent con with an Int 8, Wis 10 and Cha 12 (14 likely around her kind) and who can use two bastard swords at once and knows how to use them! With diversify a bit elsewhere also starting with improved unarmed combat so she can beat up people in bars with pinache.

Ok not very orginal but who cannot love the big not to bright character with big sharp weapons and who can add in barbarian abilities to the fighter feats - oweiiiiii!

Please don't be a half-orc barbarian.

This character concept throws a huge wrench into the group dynamics I'm interested in pursuing in-game.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

SomeGuy

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on April 28, 2011, 01:46:44 PM
I think that there are two problems with the swiftblade.  One, the GM hasn't said it's allowed.  Two, it's a gestalted class.  But it's not for me to say.

Er, he said he wanted everyone's opinion on it before allowing it, so I'm not really sure why that's a problem? I don't really think of 6/10 caster as gestalt, rather that's Abjurant Champion (eldritch disciple/theurge, mystic theurge, etc.) as such. But that's personal opinion and a fair point.

Also, what's wrong with half-orc?

RubySlippers

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on April 28, 2011, 01:56:21 PM
Please don't be a half-orc barbarian.

This character concept throws a huge wrench into the group dynamics I'm interested in pursuing in-game.

Yes she is not stupid just basic in tactics and is more of a fighter who can rage when she has to like fighting the big bad boss of an adventure, or fighting barehanded in a tavern. Her wisdom is average so sticks to what worked she was trained in, is kind of social and pretty for a half-orc nice to have around and is great in a fight. That combo should be. Plus if its gritty, dirty, dark and violent sometimes brute power is a good thing. I could do a Fighter and Rogue combo if its more urban or choose to be human the fundamentals won't be much different.