News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mortal Kombat!

Started by Sabby, August 31, 2010, 08:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

New trailer is out! =D Holy shit, my knees just went weak seeing this.

Mortal Kombat 2011 trailer #2!! OFFICIAL - "Shadows" - MK9 MK 9 IGN

Wolfy

T_T..I thought I  made your knees go weak. T_T

TheWriter

Felt ripped off.  Just shadows?  Come on, Boonie, give us some new footage!

Inkidu

Actually I thought it was pretty tasteful. It's something they can stick on late-night T.V. and not get in trouble for doing. I'm sure all the gory kontent is still there. Boon said that even the guys in the office have come up with fatalities too gruesome for their games.

My only worry is that Mortal Kombat often comes up a little light in the gameplay department. Sure it's fun but beyond being a mere fighting game, it often evokes a feeling of dullness quite quickly.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

To me, fighting games have always been something that exist solely for multiplayer. I do not mean competitive multiplayer... yes, I know, there are people out there that treat it as serious business and have memorized every combo and can pull them out at exactly the right times, but aside from those superhumans, the only way people play them is when they're friends are over and they need a distraction other then laying in their room bitching about school.

Sure, they don't know HOW exactly they just did the moves, all that matters is the kill looked flashy, and one of the boys/girls gets some bragging rights. It's a pretty, flamboyant distraction.

When they add in a singleplayer campaign, ya start to see just how true this is... only reason I was interested in Soul Calibur 2 (besides watching people play, had no intention of competing) was the campaign mode... little scenarios with special conditions and a bit of narrative to set the scene... like, you've run afoul some pirates. Oh noes! There's a dozen of them that you fight one after the other. But gasp! There are land mines! Which will only go off if you or your opponent lands off their feet...

Now, your actually having to take the flashy combat and use it in a coherent manner, essentially reaching into a bottomless box of combat moves and somehow pulling out the one you need. Does not work. Maybe for those inhumanly skilled Rayman-esque tourney-goers, but for the rest of us, who have no issue with most other games, it's an impossibly murky task >.>

TheWriter

http://www.trmk.org/news/13126/gamestop_managers_conference_2010_recap_with_video.html
Ah, here we go.

EDIT: Yeeeeees, my two main characters are token technical fighters.  For some reason I always love using the more technical characters.  Bring on the hat slinging piranhaface double action.

Sabby

TheWriter

Quote from: Sabby on September 01, 2010, 09:21:34 PM
HOLY SHIT It's a Cyrax!
Hadn't you heard?  He and Kitana were the latest two confirmed.

Heaven Sent Blossom

This is either going to be pretty bad (like ever MK game after 2) or pretty sweet (like 2), either way it's a certain purchase for me provided that Shang Tsung gets his morph ability back. If he doesn't have his morph back then I'll be waiting for either a price plummet or maybe give it a rental.

On a slightly related note I really hope the rumoured Mortal Kombat HD arcade collection actually becomes a reality, if that comes together nicely then I would be totally down with buying an updated MK2.