Attempted scrubbing of News Corp's partisan $1M donation from Wikipedia

Started by Vekseid, August 22, 2010, 04:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

See the vote here - in reference to including it on the 'Fox News Controversies' page. Cue typical right wingnut genetic fallacies in defense of the removal.

I don't imagine the partisan donations surprising anyone. This probably shouldn't surprise anyone, either, but I thought I would at least draw attention to the attempted scrub.

Jude

More consequences from the Supreme Court decision; I love it.

There's some really poor arguments on the talk page, such as this:  "You wanna criticize Jon Stewart for being a hypocrite in attacking FNC for this when the parent company of Viacom gives a majority of its donations to Democrats?"  Last I recall the Daily Show wasn't categorizing itself as non-partisan or making up slogans like fair and balanced.

The reason this is an issue is because the subsidiaries of News Corp are almost all right-leaning media outlets which deny bias.  When bias crops up in the donations of the parent companies, it shows how disingenuous that assertion is.

Vekseid

It mostly amuses me because of the 'you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time' - trying to cover up events like this only whittles away at those who are fooled into thinking Fox News actually has America's interests at heart. The only party News Corp has shown dedicated loyalty to is the Chinese Communist Party - actively turning over dissidents.

Truth always wins in the end.

Remiel

It has to be said: is anyone really surprised, at this point,  that any organization associated with Fox News Channel is supportive of the Right? 

Although I personally suspect that the only political loyalty that Rupert Murdoch holds is loyalty to his bank account.