[Pathfinder, Recruitment Closed] Warpath of the Righteous: WotR & Path of War

Started by indarkestknight, September 18, 2016, 08:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Need to finish with traits, equipment, and get some actual fluff written down instead of a bunch of quicknotes.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Chulanowa

It looks like I might need to re-think my direction. Someday I'll get to play a badass mammoth lord. Someday. Man, there need to be some adventure paths or modules set out there, huh?

Skynet

Quote from: indarkestknight on September 27, 2016, 01:26:35 AM
Going through character sheets one by one. Will update this post after I finish combing through a character sheet.

Skynet
• You can only take one trait of each type. As such, because both Unorthodox Style and Demon Slayer are combat traits, you'll need to replace one with a social, faith, magic, race, or regional trait.
• Did you ever reroll that 1 from your starting wealth? Right now it looks to me like your equipment totals 267 gp.

Alright, will drop Demon Slayer and exchange for Avid Reader (Knowledge-Planes) as my Social Trait.

Never rerolled that one apparently; didn't know you could do that. Well in that case...

Rerolled for 4, for 30 extra gp!

Revised sheet here.

Quote from: Guancyto on September 28, 2016, 05:54:35 PM

I'm looking at the Child of the Crusades trait (got a ranged-and-water-focused Mystic sketched out), apparently everyone who chooses that is supposed to be siblings, so, Skynet, how do you feel about that? :P

Fine with me!

Guancyto

That was all I needed, really! Well, that and it makes my fluff-bits way easier because I can steal half of them from sis.

Character picture isn't great but serviceable for now and I can look for a better one as we go.

Updated sheet.

indarkestknight

Still waiting on hearing back from Shadow Fox89, Changingsaint, and Premier regarding party composition preferences.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

indarkestknight

Still one player I haven't heard back from yet, but moving forward on sorting people into campaigns, though this isn't set in stone. Tried my best to accommodate people as much as possible without ending up with... well, an eight person party.

Campaign Alpha
• Katherine (Tiefling Mystic/???), played by ShadowFox89
• Nanaly Felsoul (Tiefling Warder/Guardian), played by Zaer Darkwail
• Nishikawa Mitsuyo (Human Zealot/Marshal), played by Skynet
• Sebastian Durand (Human Warlord/Champion), played by Changingsaint

Campaign Omega
• Boris Kaminski (Human Warder/Guardian), played by MrBubbles
• Lissa Oddworthy (Halfling Stalker/Trickster), played by Latooni Subota
• Nishikawa Mei (Human Mystic/Marshal), played by Guancyto
• Tevreh Gnelm (Half-Orc Harbinger/Champion), played by Premier

You're welcome to rename your campaign groups.

Chulanowa has, at least for now, bowed out, though he has an open invitation to join us should he change his mind.

Snake, however, will be joining us after all.

ShadowFox89, you mentioned some houserules from one of the Path of War writers? If you would be so kind as to share?

indarkestknight

I reserve the right to change my mind on these at a later point.

However, if you disagree, I encourage you to speak up. I will take it into consideration.

QuoteRemove weapon restrictions on disciplines. The way a maneuver is initiated (melee, ranged, or both) determines what weapons it can be used with. EXCEPTION: Things that refer to unarmed strikes still only work on unarmed strikes; when /that/ was done, it was done as a balance concern rather than a fluff restriction.

Heh. I wonder if they realize that they hadn't actually spelled out anywhere in Path of War that discipline maneuvers require discipline weapons. Or, at least, if they did, I couldn't find it. This was already how I was ruling.

Quote- The +2 to save DCs for using a discipline weapon is gone. Replace it with a flat +2 to all maneuver save DCs. Base DC 12 + maneuver level + stat mod.

- Potentially worth doing: maneuver save DCs are equal to 12 + 1/2 initiator level + initiation modifier, rather than being based on maneuver level.

For now, I'm going to say no to this. I like there being some benefit to using a discipline's favored weapons.

Quote- Mystic, Warder, Warlord, and Zealot are changed to use the updated Archetype Maneuver Progression listed in Path of War: Expanded

Yikes. Limiting four five of six classes to capping out at 6th level maneuvers. This could make my job as a DM a lot easier, but it would be pretty rough on anyone not playing a Harbinger or Stalker. I'm undecided on this one.

EDIT:

Quote- Stalker defaults to an Int- or Wis-based (player's choice) Vigilante Stalker (see PoW E). It likewise runs on the Archetype Maneuver Progression. At a player's option they can use normal Deadly Strikes instead of Sneak Attack... but I'd caution against it because they're underwhelming and best used in a way that runs counter to PoW's ideas.

Missed that line about Archetype Maneuver Progression. Wow. So he... basically is of the opinion that only Harbingers should get 7th through 9th level maneuvers?

/EDIT

Quote- Allow up to one free discipline swap to any character. If the player and GM want, instead use or write a custom Martial Tradition.

Between Unorthodox Method and Martial Traditions offering characters ways to swap disciplines, I'm inclined to say characters have enough options to customize their access to disciplines even without this houserule.

I have no strong opinions on the rest. How does everyone else feel about them?

Revelation

Limiting my warlord powers to level 6 for an arbitrary and non explained reason feels kinda shitty, so... Yeah, can we not do that?

Guancyto

Mystic is sort of "I have all the powers" so not getting the higher-tier goodies seems odd. Wonder what's so special about Harbinger?

So yeah, let's not do that. The others look fine though, although I don't really know the system well enough to evaluate far-reaching consequences or anything.

Zaer Darkwail

All other stuff looked fine to me (albeit I agree we can stick with that using discipline weapons add +2 to save DC's as not all maneuvers have save DC with them anyways), however limiting all classes expect Harbingers to 6th level maneuvers is a no-no from me. We are going for anyways a mythic campaign so locking down the maneuver list just to 6th level (for no good reason) is bad for me.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 04, 2016, 03:13:15 AM
Limiting my warlord powers to level 6 for an arbitrary and non explained reason feels kinda shitty, so... Yeah, can we not do that?

Considering as the only Warlord you're the one most affected by this (especially since you chose to take Victory Gambit), how do you feel about the suggested changes to Victory Gambit?

Premier

I've no idea about game balance so I'm good with whatever you want.

Revelation

Quote from: indarkestknight on October 04, 2016, 07:50:43 AM
Considering as the only Warlord you're the one most affected by this (especially since you chose to take Victory Gambit), how do you feel about the suggested changes to Victory Gambit?

The change feels... Eh, alright?

Removing the luck bonus to the attack rolls makes it feel balanced but it is a nerf to the gambit basically. Which while i'm okay with, I won't exactly advocate as being fun or 'good', only 'right'.

Snake

I'm here with a char I submited to Darkest for review: a Pitborn (Demon spawn) Tiefling Discordant Crusader. :3 that specializes in the Black Seraph Style

I'll put it here for everyone else's opinion too, why not.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=966340

MrBubbles

Warder's getting locked to archetype progression... Why? That just doesn't make sense to me, and it really locks you out on the higher-tier strikes n' stances that would really stand out in a Mythic campaign. I'm voting hard against that.

Quote from: Snake on October 04, 2016, 03:07:46 PM
I'm here with a char I submited to Darkest for review: a Pitborn (Demon spawn) Tiefling Discordant Crusader. :3 that specializes in the Black Seraph Style

I'll put it here for everyone else's opinion too, why not.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=966340

I like her! She's got a good "rage incarnate" feel you'd expect from a Zealot, it also helps that she's very cute.

Snake

She's a Zealot Discordant Crusader, Bubbles. But yes :3

Oh and she's cute? Don't tell her that, she'll gutpunch you for it.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Snake on October 05, 2016, 01:28:08 PM
Oh and she's cute? Don't tell her that, she'll gutpunch you for it.

Oh, Nanaly would not call her cute; bur rather completely-bangable-sexy.

Snake

As a succubi-heritage Tiefling, she's supposed to be. And she hates it. She thinks that the flirtation is all shallow and pointless.

Her Stolen Fury Trait comes from, not the suggested ritual in the Players' guide, but she was a virgin sacrifice and was raped by an incubus when she was 16.  Which is how she uses Black Seraph, the demon seed she absorbed infused her with the power to use it.

For it though; she absolutely hates demons and worships Gorum cuz he's the only deity that seems to enjoy the fact that she'd stomp a demon into a puddle of ichor then light it on fire with a vial of holy water just to watch it burn.

But she can use holy based powers too from Silver Crane Style (discordant crusader ability) which is like her trying to keep herself "good".

I had an idea that later she doesn't go mythic like the rest. she instead uses a mythic wish to become a mythic Erinyes or something, because her hate of demons is too strong. If that were even possible.

Zaer Darkwail

Hates demons so much she would willingly become a devil? All fine with that XD. However Nanaly's case it's not matter are you tiefling, elf, human or anything; if she thinks your hot then your hot and thusly something which she would willingly fuck. So it's not about 'your sexy because your succubus sort' or anything like that. But it's true her flirts and such are shallow as she is not looking make lasting relationship (atm anyways) with anyone. He just would want sex just for enjoyment (and sex in itself is not sinful or evil as anything which is alive and even some undead; fuck things and love doing so).

Snake

Indeed. But Mila's scarred by it; it doesn't even register to her as a possibility anymore. 

I'm not sure which mythic path would work for her if super powered erinyes is out XD

Zaer Darkwail

Champion perhaps, it's keyed to stolen fury anyways. Champion is one going bashing demons on face hard.

Snake

Sounds about right.

Stomping demon faces is what she's really good at, though I imagine she'd just probably alignment shift several times though given that aggressive reaction.

indarkestknight

Generally looks like people don't like switching to archetype progression, and having given it some consideration, I concur. Whether or not it's more 'balanced', this is intended to be a Path of War campaign, so only giving Harbingers 7th, 8th, and 9th level maneuvers doesn't really fit what I'm going for.

Quote from: Snake on October 05, 2016, 01:59:36 PMHer Stolen Fury Trait comes from, not the suggested ritual in the Players' guide, but she was a virgin sacrifice and was raped by an incubus when she was 16.  Which is how she uses Black Seraph, the demon seed she absorbed infused her with the power to use it.

While it wasn't the exact ritual suggested by the Player's Guide, I will note that in order to have the Stolen Fury trait, the character must have been tainted by a ritual by demons or demonic cultists that was disrupted or interrupted before reaching completion. Violation by an incubus can count for that, so long as it was part of the ritual. Otherwise, Exposed to Awfulness would be appropriate.

The same applies to Tevreh and the demon that she survived an encounter with in her backstory.

Quote from: Snake on October 05, 2016, 01:59:36 PMI had an idea that later she doesn't go mythic like the rest. she instead uses a mythic wish to become a mythic Erinyes or something, because her hate of demons is too strong. If that were even possible.

It would be a pretty challenging finding someone (or, rather, something) able to cast that mythic wish and willing to cast it for her. And it seems very... odd to make a wish and go straight from a Chaotic Good worshipper of Gorum all the way to a Lawful Evil erinyes. I'm not saying it's impossible – but it would probably be an endgame / late-game side-quest.

That said, the Hellknights, an knightly order modeling themselves after Hell itself, prizing law and order above all else, are a presence within the Crusades. Though there are more evil Hellknights than good Hellknights, they accept lawful good, lawful neutral, and lawful evil characters alike. I was thinking they probably were among the most common practitioners of Black Seraph among the Crusaders. If you decide to give her a more lawful bent, you could have her join them.

Due to last-minute amendments to party composition preferences, I will be dividing you into a trio of campaigns, three characters each. ShadowFox89, before I can finalize these parties, I'll need you to select a campaign trait and commit to which mythic path your character will eventually walk.

Later tonight I'll be going through character sheets again. Once the campaign groups are set and at least one group has their backstories and character sheets sorted, I'll start working on getting an opening scene up.