Fire in the Skies [Final Fantasy d6 (Ivalice)| Not Recruiting Right Now]

Started by Sepsep, April 04, 2015, 08:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepingferret

Lockepick

With this party of four here -- we're pretty low on any kind of healing. Our only real source is Synthesis (Alchemy) 2 on one of us.

Just as a note: If Aria took the Favored Terrain ability (Plains or Underground), we could have an automatic '100% HP' between every encounter. Not the best for mid-combat heals -- but at least some touch ups between combat.

@EndOfDivine: Since Miracle has Synthesis (Tinkering) and Systems -- I'll probably drop mine down from max and basically leave that up to her. Does that sound good to you?

@The Rest: Any input on the name of the airship or the features? I'm considering Stealthy and Superior Handling to start -- those seem the most fitting.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Latooni Subota

It really depends on the terrain choices/options, and how much we invest in Alchemy, to make up for more of a lack of healing/early support.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Sepsep

Well, speak of the devil and yea EndofDivine shall appear it seems... I apologize for the awful joke  :P

In any case, this makes four~ I still need to give all the sheets a really thorough comb-through, but we should be good to go since four is usually an optimal group size. I could take one more, but regardless the basics of a party are here~ All in favor of making this an actual game?

And at least it's not four White Mages

Lockepick

I am still worried we're a little too martial -- but as I don't have much room to adjust my character, I suppose I can't expect anybody else to modify theirs either. I'm happy to proceed and make this an actual game. :)

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

EndofDivine

Quote from: lockepick on April 12, 2015, 10:29:42 PM
With this party of four here -- we're pretty low on any kind of healing. Our only real source is Synthesis (Alchemy) 2 on one of us.

How important is healing in this game? If it's something you have to have to succeed then I can come up with a different idea.

@EndOfDivine: Since Miracle has Synthesis (Tinkering) and Systems -- I'll probably drop mine down from max and basically leave that up to her. Does that sound good to you?

Yeah, I kind of imagined my character as a mechanically inclined thief so I'd like to keep those two skills.

@The Rest: Any input on the name of the airship or the features? I'm considering Stealthy and Superior Handling to start -- those seem the most fitting.

Sounds good to me. I'm not good with names though but Green Shimmer sounds fine.

Lockepick

Quote from: EndofDivine on April 13, 2015, 04:02:35 PM
How important is healing in this game? If it's something you have to have to succeed then I can come up with a different idea.

I can't really say if it's necessary or not -- but I guess I presume it's like any other Dungeon Crawl type game. I admit, I'm running entirely on assumptions here, and a crippling fear of dumping all my money into potions just to get by. :)

Quote from: EndofDivine on April 13, 2015, 04:02:35 PM
Yeah, I kind of imagined my character as a mechanically inclined thief so I'd like to keep those two skills.

Oh! I wasn't suggesting YOU drop them -- I was ensuring you were okay with ME dropping them -- basically considering Miracle the Ship's 'mechanic' for all dues and purposes. I'm actually going to keep a few ranks in them -- but not maxed out, and not nearly your level. Just enough to be able to like... identify problems in Miracle's absense.

Latooni Subota

It's not amazingly necessary to have a dedicated healer. Items and some geotrance-ing should be fine. Also, assuming everything is good, I'm happy with sticking to four and going.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Sepsep

Well, healing is tricky. Potions heal a lot for very little (a flat 25% for 20gil), and characters at higher levels can throw around thousands of gil each. Not to mention I tend to be liberal with Rest Opportunities, meaning if you manage your inventory right you should generally be fine on healing.

Speaking of, from my experience running the system the four 'Main' roles in combat tend to be Offense, Tank, Support, and Debuff, though by no means is a character limited to performing only one of those roles. It looks like Hiroshi fills Offense by benefit of the high spike of Draw-Out, Benoit and Miracle both will be able to Debuff foes later on (with Benoit able to add to Damage more effectively with Ranger Abilities), and Aria fills in the gaps by having enough HP to Tank big hits (but sadly no real way to forcibly draw aggro), several options for Support (based on terrain), and not too shabby Damage when the opportunity presents itself.

Altogether not a bad team at all~ Though I've a few things of note.

@EndofDivine
Since you've got Engineer at Lv1 and then Thief at Lv2-3, you'd have two Engineer Abilities and only one Thief Ability. You also still need a Limit Break, but if you don't want to dig through the odd mechanics of building one, we could work something out and I could make one for you~

@lockepick
Unfortunately, the Accurate Property is limited to Accessories only. Your Dull Leathers will need another.

@sleepingferret
I actually really like the layout of the HTML sheet~ You do still need a Lv1 Limit Break, however, but my offer towards EndofDivine is good for everyone.
The only other thing I'd note though is less a statement and more a question, to the tune of 'How do you see Hiroshi developing mechanically? Just sticking with Samurai straight through to Parivir? Mixing in any other Job Levels along the way?' Just a general question that, in turn, helps me set challenges and loot later on down the line in stone.
As an aside; have you considered filling in the blanks in your Background with lockepick? Two wanderers from the upper crust of Archadia, leaving their old lives behind for reasons of honor. And ending up being labeled as Pirates in the process.

@Latooni Subota
That... is a lot of HP for Lv3. Ah well, it'll make things interesting~

As a final note, no objections to Benoit taking up the mantle of 'Captain'? In either case, we're probably ready to move from the Requests board to another~

sleepingferret

@Sepsep

• Limit Break: I've gone over things and I think I've gotten it "mechanically" built, but I just can't seem to get a fitting descriptive picture in my head.  So I've torn it apart a few dozen times...and still have writers block with it, and it's even ended up mechanically different only to end up right back to how I originally designed it.  So again, while mechanically I think I have it done and think it's "sound", it doesn't have a name or description.

So well, I guess if you could end my writers block for now.  Mechanically, I used the following:
    Attack: Weapon (-3), Break Arts (-4; Armor Break), Piercing (-4), Power Item (+1; Bladed weapon)

Premise:
    A basic demonstration of both the fine craftsmanship of a Samurai's sword and their skills as a swordsman.
  • Progression Development: I don't really see mixing any other jobs along the way, he was "born" a Samurai and will die a Samurai.

As for discussing anything with lockepick or any other player in regards to background and such, I've only recently read over everyone's backgrounds in detail.

So since the cards are on the table now, well....

seƱor Samurai LF person to "Pay back debt of honor to" for "X life saving or life changing deed"

As for "Tanking'", and drawing aggro... what, an "unarmored" Samurai wielding a sword isn't going to attract attention? :P 
Some monster may not care, but some pirate or thug might be like "Hey look at 'pretty boy', with his sword."  That is right before, I decapitated them of course...but still.  >:)

As for healing.... you miss me, you heal me (points to Outmaneuver).  8-)  I just have to keep my Avoidance score on the higher side as the game progresses, so the nastier stuff doesn't just poke holes in me.

Benoit for Captain 2015?!!! No objections here. ;D

Lockepick

@GM: Ah! My bad! I'll switch it to a Attribute Bonus (Dex) then.

@Sleepingferret: First off, I think he was talking to Latooni about the tanking thing, since all of her Job Abilities went towards HP, and you're actually our best source of damage. For Tanking -- Warrior/Dragoon/Paladin all have ways to force attacks towards them (or punish those who don't, at least). As for the debt -- makes perfect sense that you owe your Captain a debt. Could explain why anybody 'honorable' by the samurai code would be a pirate at all.

sleepingferret

I was speaking non-mechanically in regards to the Tanking issue.  Mechanically, no I don't have anything to "attract" attention to myself in combat.  Nor did invest in being able to take "large" hits or multiple large hits.

But again, I wasn't commenting from a "mechanical" standpoint.

As for owing Captain Benoit a debt of honor.  I guess that leaves 2 questions.  First, how did Benoit and Hiroshi meet.  And what would shall we make said debt be.

Lockepick

Ah, I think the notion of filling party roles is usually more of a mechanical discussion.

As for how they met -- Well I'm game for whatever there. That's more your story than Benoit's -- so if you can imagine any situation where he defended your honor (most likely by accident) -- I'm happy to roll with it. I'm not quite sure I could guess what would/wouldn't help/hurt Hiroshi's honor!

Just to rattle off some potential ideas: He could have simply defended one of his family members from some abusive soldier; interrupted a duel that Hiroshi would have lost, taking the shame onto himself instead of Hiroshi (also, Hiroshi didn't die) for some other reason; Hiroshi's sword gets stolen, Benoit happens to steal it from the thieves -- sells it back to Hiroshi...

Sepsep

I would say that there are very large advantages to Multiclassing. Very few characters can't be improved mechanically by picking up choice Abilities from other Jobs. For example, one of my players in another game mixed Gambler and Samurai until they got Double Up. And
then used Draw Out on their copied swords, resulting in Draw-Outs every round. That's a bit of an extreme example, of course, but like any Final Fantasy you can get up to some serious shenanigans if you pick Abilities wisely~

As for a description, how's this?
Kesagiri (Lv1 Limit Break)
Hiroshi closes his eyes amidst the chaos of combat around him, centering himself. A thousand distractions are pushed away, replaced by the results of countless thousands of practice swings, crystallized in this flawless downwards slash that rends armor like paper. Like the blade itself, there are no frills; merely the results of endless dedication.

And as a final note, my mind immediately goes to 'Vassal Family' as an answer to the situation of Benoit and Hiroshi. After all, the Archadian Empire has consumed many other countries over the years, in the Roman pattern of merely shifting Law and Leadership while leaving Culture intact.

Lockepick

The annoying part about multi-classing is the temporary loss of your main ability. For ranger, it's not too bad since it's mundane -- but I can totally understand why Hiroshi wouldn't want to go a level without being able to Draw Out. Admittedly, that's why I did my multi-classing in the first level -- so I could get it out of the way.

I'm not sure I know exactly what Vassal Families are -- but based on my assumption, my fears are that it sounds more like slavery than Hiroshi's choice (if he's obligated because the LaCroix own his family), and also might not work well since Benoit is not in good standing with the family. If another LaCroix that ISN'T wanted for grand theft air-auto -- they could just 'take control', no?

Latooni Subota

The perk of starting at level 3 is that if you're only multi-classing into one other class for regular abilities (as opposed to limit abilities which take a lot more effort to get) then you can just take the other class for levels 1 and 2 (Giving you 2 and 1 abilities respectively) and then jump back into your main class for 3 and on. I tend to do that a lot with proper mage classes, dipping into Red Mage or Time Mage, then going with White/Blue/Black/etc for my main progression. And don't even get me started on my build so convoluted and OP that I needed Onion Knight to make it work~

sleepingferret

@Sepsep

Limit Break description is perfect.  Thank you.  8-)

---
As far as the vassal family thing, while it wouldn't necessarily entirely be like slavery per-say; meaning that in exchange for giving their loyalty and services to the LaCroix family the Sagara's would be granted certain privileges.  For example, access to certain crafting materials or if the Sagara's had owned land that had said materials when Archadian's took over the area, the LaCroix family could have taken possession of the land only to essentially let the Sagara's keep it.  From the outside, it just looks like the Sagara's are "working" the land for the LaCroix family, as the guards at the borders are now either part of the LaCroix family guard or Archadian soldiers.

So while that may be a good starting place to explain how Hiroshi and Benoit know each other.  It wouldn't be a good way to explain fully why Hiroshi owes Benoit a debt of honor, if Benoit isn't in good standing with his own family.  Now perhaps something like Benoit staying Hiroshi's hand before he drew his blade and got into a duel with a patrol sergeant that was chiding Hiroshi for the way he dressed, and his culture in general.  Luckily for both Benoit and Hiroshi, the patrol sergeant only knew the LaCroix name and knew it as a family of Judges, so when Benoit told the sergeant to back off, the sergeant snapped a quick salute and he and his men walked on.

sleepingferret

Character sheet updated for Limit Break addition.  Should be all good to go, aside from finishing the little details about Hiroshi's background and his debt of honor.  Anyone needs anything, message me or drop a line on this thread; I have it bookmarked and I typically drop by E throughout the day when I find time.  Gotta make some use of my smartphone, that I don't really use for anything else lol, except well... making phone calls.

Lockepick

How about we say that before Benoit 'rebelled' he stopped a potential altercation between Hiroshi and a superior officer -- maybe some guy he knew would have dueled to the death and lost if Hiroshi kept pushing. Could always say the superior officer was in civilian clothes at the time, to explain why Hiroshi could actually go "Oh shit, that was close" afterwards.

We could also add something like that when Benoit rebelled and stole the ship, Hiroshi/Benoit had been close enough associates that the Judges assumed Hiroshi knew where Benoit was. Maybe they get heavy handed/rough with their interrogation and Benoit swoops in to help him out. Though that would make Hiroshi also wanted in a rather direct way -- not sure if that's appealing.

sleepingferret

Alright, so how about this then....
------------------

Hiroshi at first just merely rolled his eyes and acted as if he hadn't heard the semi-intoxicated man's remarks, as the man stepped out from the bar, as Hiroshi passed by on the street.  Then the man had repeated his insults louder, which made Hiroshi pause for a brief moment, but still he was just going to calmly continue walking.

But then it happened.... "Oh well I guess, the Nip can hear."  While the man, had probably uttered a few other racial slurs in his previous string of insults, Hiroshi hadn't heard them clearly as he had been trying to ignore the man.  However, now that he had paused for a moment, the man's words rang clearly in his head. 

Hiroshi spun around to face the man, his right hand tightened about the grip of his katana.  And with a raised eyebrow and a calm, yet also spine tingling and dark look about his face... "I hear just fine, but I suggest you be able to back your words.  Else, I suggest you offer a sincere and convincing apology, lest I cut out your insulting tongue."

The man at first started to laugh, thinking Hiroshi's words to be completely outrageous.  His laughter however, only seemed to make Hiroshi more serious and the samurai began to approach slowly, his hand still resting calmly on the grip of his katana.  As Hiroshi approached, the man stopped laughing and took a more serious look about him.

He at first raised his hands in a gesture of "mock surrender", sort of waving them in the air, in front of him as he attempted to both stall Hiroshi and think for himself.  "Now let's just talk about this, young man."

Hiroshi stopped his approach and took a more relaxed stance, but his hand still rested on the grip of his katana.  "So talk...but you heard my terms.  You can either fight me, and if you win...well if you win my life is yours.  Or you can apologize, and as long as it is sincere, I simply walk away.  But if you fight me and I win, you die...or if you offer me an insincere apology, I will cut out your lying tongue."

The man swallowed hard, his intoxication for the moment seeming to dissipate as the stress of the situation rose.   He turned to another next to him and whispered, "Get my axe."  Then turned to face Hiroshi again, "Very well, I'll fight you, if that's what you wish...."

"Oh no you will not, Master Sergeant Kendrick!", came a shout from behind Hiroshi.  Glancing over his shoulder to see what appeared to be a Judge looking figure approaching, Hiroshi relaxed his right hand letting go of the grip of his katana and taking a relaxed stance as he stood in the middle of the street.

Master Sergeant Kendrick, the man who had been insulting Hiroshi, gulped before responding to this new figure who now stood just to the right of Hiroshi.  "Lord LaCroix.  Is there some concern over two men having a friendly contest?", the Master Sergeant asked with a somewhat shaky voice.

"Considering your reputation, and considering I heard why you might be having said 'friendly' contest, to begin with and since this man has given you a simple way out." Lord LaCroix paused briefly, "I do believe there is a problem, Master Sergeant."

The Master Sergeant looked from Lord LaCroix to Hiroshi and back again, a defiant look on his face the entire time.  A loud clang of a two-handed axe hitting the street shattered the silence of the moment, as the man returned with the Master Sergeant's axe but dropped it in surprise when he saw the judiciary figure.

Lord LaCroix turned and faced Hiroshi, "Regardless of how much of a bonehead, Kendrick is.  I strongly suggest you just let this go and walk on.  His drunken stupidity isn't worth your time nor the time it would take to clean his blood from your blade."

Hiroshi merely gave a small smirk, then a polite bow to Lord LaCroix.  "I really had no intentions on getting on the bad side of any Judges anyways."

------------

A few years later.... Hiroshi sat down after working with his father on some swords, and thought about the past.  He laughed to himself, thinking about somethings....  Especially when thought about his old friend Benoit... they had first met when Benoit had stopped a potential duel between Hiroshi and drunk Master Sergeant;  but over the past few years, while Hiroshi had stayed working with his father as a sword smith and was also a samurai like many in his family before him; Benoit had left his past behind.

Hiroshi smiled as thought about Benoit and all the crazy nonsense he must of been up to over the past few years.  The two had only met up on a few rare occasions, and usually only when their paths happened to cross by some odd chance.  And most often, the two ended up helping each other out of all sorts of things.  While, Hiroshi was always hard pressed to stay to his traditions he was raised by and still help his friend.... somehow, it seemed that not helping his friend would be more dishonorable than to help him.

And so it had went... at least until just recently... news had spread that the entire LaCroix family was "under fire".  Or well, they had been ever since Benoit had turned against his father and helped some poor guy out, and then decided not to become a Judge.  But now, evidently it was worse...because supposedly Benoit had stolen one of the LaCroix family airships.

Some Judges had even came and arrested Hiroshi, under the assumption he knew where Benoit was.  "Why would I know where he is?  I haven't seen him in at least an entire year!  The only reason I even know that Benoit supposedly stole an airship, is well it isn't as if such news was kept a big secret.  And well you did just confirm it for me!"

Lockepick

That setup works for me, as long as it works for you! I imagine 'repaying your debt' would be saving Benoit's life as how he saved Hiroshi's.

I imagine when Benoit retells it: "Hiroshi's pride got the best of him, where I make it my business to tarnish my pride whenever I can. Lets me see that things would have been deadly for Hiroshi, and I had no interest in the paperwork that would have followed."

sleepingferret

I'll get an "official" background write up adjustment change put to my character sheet put up sometime here in the next day or so.  I'm just going to re-proofread things and what not.  Cause I was writing all of that at like 2 or 3 am.

I haven't been sleeping well lately, so I end up staying up and checking things here.  Or working on some projects for my RL D&D group.  And then...maybe, maybe finally getting to sleep at like 4 am...maybe 5 and not getting up till like 10 or 11.  Or worse, waking up at 8 or 9 am... and repeating the darn thing....

Sepsep

So! Two last, big questions.

1) Who is/is not going to start as a crew member, and thus should be planned on being roped in due to the opening plot? Rest assured that said plot will more than amply provide for all characters to start with.

2) What level of lewdness is everyone expecting? Since this dictates what board the actual game ends up on.

sleepingferret

1) Given my background... I'd say, I'll probably be starting as or would be "quickly" roped into, depending on how we decide to play out the opening scenes, a crew member.

2) As far as lewdness wise, I'd personally say leave it somewhat "open"; but I wouldn't expect anything beyond what the guidelines are for the "Light" board classification is.  Especially since none of the player characters are non-human (non-human like); and unless anyone expects to engage in activities involving with more exotic creatures, then again I'd say the "Light" board classification would suit our needs.

Latooni Subota

1) Probably gonna get roped into the chaos/stow away pretty much asap/etc.

2) My only issue with Light is that it makes certain fun things go out the window. I would actually suggest Bondage: Exotic - Small Groups, or NC: Exotic-System Small Groups (Because monsters, charm, etc are a thing). In terms of amount of lewdness, not too much would be fine by me. Heck, we could even make side-threads in different sections for 'interesting' things that happen on the side?