Pathfinder: Adventurers Welcome (Recruiting)

Started by kckolbe, September 30, 2013, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ershin

Thanks for the info, Kckolbe.

I was considering making a human Summoner with the Synthesist archetype.
The basic background as far as I've figured out for her is that she's a descendant of a great hero, a valiant and courageous Paladin who lived many centuries ago and was tasked by the crown to guard an expedition to the north of the region to establish a frontier town along with a small contingient of soldiers. For the first few years while the town was being constructed things were mostly fine, with the odd gnoll raid beaten back by the town guards and the ancestor. Fast forward a decade or two and the settlement is thriving, a jewel amidst the wilderness, with the gnolls having been quiet for quite some time. In truth, they were martialling their forces so that they may overwhelm the town's protectors and take the villagers as slaves or meat, even use the settlement itself as a stepping stone on their way further south into the heart of the kingdom.
Basically she was a combination of Joan of Arc and Leonidus. The horde was defeated, but at the cost of her life. Not a single civilian was harmed due to the acts of her and her comrades, and eventually she was considered a saint, a shrine raised for her in the town as it grew and expanded.

Present day, her descendant is able to call upon the spirit of her valiant ancestor to take over her body, changing it into her form from when she was alive (I have yet to decide if the whole "Eidolons can't wear armor" thing means she'll be nude, or if she'll always have her armor due to the natural armor they get). While wearing the skin of her ancestor, the Summoner's mind would likely take a back seat, channelled by the Eidolon to manifest spells and such when required as she doesn't want another of her bloodline to see the horrors of combat.

---

Then again, I'd also considered applying as part of the Staff with a Mysterious Stranger archetype Gunslinger... Maybe a Kensai/Bladebound Magus (no need for armor.  :-* ).
So many choices! Not only as far as Pathfinder stuff goes but also guild positions.

Actually, would you rather have an adventurer or staff application at this point?

Zaer Darkwail

I think there is overwhelming amount of adventurers but there is only my char in the Staff. So if you apply as staff member (think some good work/duty for her), then her spot is guaranteed. As it has been mentioned, being staff member does not mean you may end up sitting in guild 24/7.

Also even if my char is one instructors, he is not master of martial combat nor ranged combat. At best he is well educated scholar and scribe.

kckolbe

Zaer is correct that there is simply a higher chance of being accepted as staff since there are less applicants than open spots.

As for your character concept, it is actually extremely similar in concept to that of Luna's (until the eidolon part, that is).  You may want to coordinate shared ancestors.  She is playing an oracle with the ancestor mystery.

Unfortunately, all three classes you've expressed interest in are ones I've been uncomfortable with and would be slightly nerfing.  I've already told danz that summoners would be subject to "nerfing" and this would definitely apply to the synthesist.  I would be flexible in how these nerfs were applied (ask lockepicke, whose class has already been adjusted).  In the case of the kensai, it would just be a slight adjustment.  Bladebound looks fine as is.  Gunslinger is slightly too powerful for my comfort level, but synthesist would be very significant, as that makes one harder to kill than a barbarian.

Sorry if this ruins your plans.  You may have an extra day or two to work on your concept if you like.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

The extra hardiness of synthesis comes from fact that you need kill 'eidolon' before you can harm the summoner who is perfectly safe inside the eidolon (and the summoner can sacrifice HP to keep eidolon active).

If want reduce the survival curve of synthesist summoner then simply make eidolon and summoner's HP same; if eidolon reaches 0 HP so is the summoner (and if half HP before eidolon called away so is the summoner and if summoner gets hurt and then calls in synthesis form, eidolon HP is reduced). But the summoner gets all other perks for being possessed by eidolon.

Just my thought.

kckolbe

I'll see what she wants out of the classes and see if a compromise can be reached.  Or she may just end up going with another class.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

CurvyKitten

Quote from: kckolbe on October 05, 2013, 05:39:41 AM
I can't tell how much of that is supposed to be wings.  Tengu are such an odd race by themselves.  They have wings, yet cannot fly, nor can they even jump farther like most other flightless birds.  Physically, they have so little in common with humans. 

I think that I would rather prefer a player-created winged human race.  The race builder has two standard traits that involve wings, one that allows characters to glide down from jumps (3 RP), and another that gives a +4 bonus on Fly checks (2 RP).  If you want I can PM you a couple of winged human race templates.

What were you thinking of, class wise?  Also, staff or adventurer?

No I think I will try and find something else, there are already some Aasimar types proposed. Hmm....isn't there a cat like race...LOL Maybe I should just be something simple. hehe

Oh and I was thinking Ranger, I don't think I have ever actually played one of those. May be fun. And I don't think there is one yet~ goes to go check the list again~

Ershin

Quote from: kckolbe on October 06, 2013, 09:20:38 AM
I'll see what she wants out of the classes and see if a compromise can be reached.  Or she may just end up going with another class.

Well, with the Summoner what I had been looking for was a weak individual summoning the shell of a strong one so they could go out into the world and make Justice (capital J) happen, but since you're saying you're not okay with the class after saying on page 1 that's it was okay to apply with it, that's fine.

I'm also not sure why you think Gunslingers are overly powerful to the point of not permitting them (again after saying they were viable on page 1), but whatevs. :)

What were the changes you were thinking about making with the Kensai? They already seem to lose a lot from their diminished spellcasting, so...?
Also, is it okay to use the rules that permit you to use multiple archetypes so long as they don't replace the same features, for which the bladebound/kensai options apply?

kckolbe

Quote from: kckolbe on September 30, 2013, 05:07:33 PM
I've received a lot of questions regarding "questionable" classes here and in PM, both third party and even some from within paizo that have "bad reputations."  After giving it some minor thought, my answer is yes, though I will nerf these submitted classes (if the character is chosen) before playing to avoid regretting them.  Cuts will be arbitrary (as some classes may appear stronger to me than others), and I will listen to the opinions of other players, but I want to make sure that any 3rd party or potentially overpowered classes are being chosen for the right reasons.

I've seen more than one pathfinder game turn into an arms race, where players kept requesting class conversions and outside rules until the game was no fun as player or GM. 

This is the only post I recall making on page one where I mentioned classes, and in this post I said that I would nerf these classes.  I'm not sure why you feel I am going back on any promises.

Intro Thread

Ershin

My apologies, your post on this page mentioned nerfing rather than flat out banning, I misread. At the same time, it'd be nice to know what you had in mind rather than learning of it after havine one's heart set on a class and finding out what you think of is a cool concept in the initial rules is something that you've considered nerfing. Or giving extra feats in the case of certain Rogue archetypes as I recall. :)

That said, may I ask again what you were thinking of changing with the Kensai Magus archetype?

kckolbe

I feel that canny defense offers the AC bonus too quickly.  I would prefer that the cap on Int bonus added to AC increased every three levels as opposed to every level.  In addition to slowing down the progression, this would cap the total Int bonus to +6.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Well, I have to admit that I didn't expect this, but I just don't have enough players that I really want to take in order to make this game work.  I'm sorry to the ones who put in an effort, but I am going to call this game off.

Intro Thread

Ghostwheel

Ershin

Quote from: kckolbe on October 06, 2013, 03:21:56 PM
Well, I have to admit that I didn't expect this, but I just don't have enough players that I really want to take in order to make this game work.  I'm sorry to the ones who put in an effort, but I am going to call this game off.
Out of the twelve adventurer applicants there's not enough you like to start the game, even with like a minimum number for a party? Isn't that a little rude to the people who applied (not me since my concept wasn't completed) considering they might think their applications weren't worth anything?

Ah well, ultimately it's the decision of the person running the game if they feel up to it or not.

In any case, I hope you have fun either playing in or running games in the future. :)

Zaer Darkwail

Huh? Not enough peeps?! I found it tough to run game for around eight people plus now twelve + staff members?!

Either your serious or joking about it, I would suspect other reasons than 'too little amount players'.

But we can't force you run either if you do not feel up to it although it's pity as there was some solid interests here :-/ . I am busy myself with 2 games I run so I can't pick this up either.

Florence

I have to echo the sentiments of the others here...

This rp has one of the biggest turnouts I've seen on Elliquiy...

I mean, its your game, but... if this isn't enough people, you seriously might want to consider lowering your expectations for now on, as I'd call this a hugely successful recruitment.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Ershin

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on October 06, 2013, 04:20:37 PM
Huh? Not enough peeps?! I found it tough to run game for around eight people plus now twelve + staff members

It looks like it's not so much "not enough players", but rather "not enough players he liked". :P

Florence

Well, if this game is canned, I need to find another way to get my Pathfinder fix :\
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Blinkin

I would also have to wonder about the not enough players thing. But then, there was mention of not enough interest in staff, so I guess that is where the sticky point was. Although, I thought that staff would be a fairly small number to begin with, if required at all, as compared to the dozen adventuring characters with a surprising spread of classes.

Still, it's the GM's call and I wish everyone luck with their future RP and/or GMing. It was fun while it lasted. Disappointing in the end, but fun.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

Oh, lord!  Two in one day! 

*lower lip trembles* 

*Shrugs* 

Good luck, KC. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Phaia

well hell's bells!!!

okayy guess  I wont need to say i was keeping my race and background just the way it was with the ony change being from a perform skill to a profession or cfart skill

hmmm

Phaia