The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

And being psychotic. It's not charming or entertaining when it's done the normal way. His is special.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

No one else could make flying around inside a giant boot shooting at the bad guys as hilarious or awesome as Deadpool
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 21, 2015, 09:17:12 AM
No one else could make flying around inside a giant boot shooting at the bad guys as hilarious or awesome as Deadpool

A giant boot? I'm getting flashes of Super Mario for some reason...maybe Deadpool does have some competition in that field, after all.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on March 24, 2015, 01:39:19 PM
The game was utterly perfect in so many ways...

Really? I watched some footage of the gameplay and it looked really short and simplistic, at least combat-wise.

Deamonbane

I mean character-wise. His voice actor is just perfect, and his interactions with the rest of the characters had me laughing so hard I got killed. You also take control of Rogue at one point too...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on March 24, 2015, 02:05:17 PM
I mean character-wise. His voice actor is just perfect, and his interactions with the rest of the characters had me laughing so hard I got killed. You also take control of Rogue at one point too...

Eh, that's still not enough for me to pick up the used copy I saw today for $13.99.

Deamonbane

If it ain't your thing, it ain't your thing. Although I do reccommend seeing the walkthrough that they have on youtube.

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on March 26, 2015, 04:22:21 PM
If it ain't your thing, it ain't your thing. Although I do reccommend seeing the walkthrough that they have on youtube.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I watched to make that determination. Woulda been a great TV series on HBO or something.

SapphireStar

Looks like they added another new character to the upcoming X-Men movie to be an addition to the group featuring a young Jean Grey and Scott Summers. They've announced the casting of Jubilee.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 27, 2015, 01:54:13 AM
Looks like they added another new character to the upcoming X-Men movie to be an addition to the group featuring a young Jean Grey and Scott Summers. They've announced the casting of Jubilee.

Is she Asian, or at least half-Asian like in the comics/TV show? I know X-Men is only marginally more diverse than the Avengers but still, every little bit helps.

Also, it looks like it's been confirmed that the directors of Captain America 2 and 3 are also going to be helming Infiniti War part 1 and 2. Think they can pull it off as good as Joss Whedon?

CaptainNexus616

Hmmm that is a good question. Like its been stated before in this thread. Captain America the Winter Soldier dealt with conspiracy and such
I am not certain how much Sci-fi experience they have compared to Wheldon but they will have to expand beyond just doing a super soldier film with all of the Gods, sorcerers and aliens that will be in the war. Fingers crossed.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

consortium11

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 27, 2015, 09:03:33 AM
Hmmm that is a good question. Like its been stated before in this thread. Captain America the Winter Soldier dealt with conspiracy and such
I am not certain how much Sci-fi experience they have compared to Wheldon but they will have to expand beyond just doing a super soldier film with all of the Gods, sorcerers and aliens that will be in the war. Fingers crossed

They've got basically no Sci-Fi experience at all... but then they also had no conspiracy, sci-fi, thriller or super-hero experience going into Winter Soldier; pretty much everything they'd done before was comedies and their most notable works had been the likes of Community, Arrested Development, Welcome to Collinwood and You, Me and Dupree.

Mathim

And The Winter Soldier was really not that funny, at least compared to most other MCU films. But they'll get some practice in sci-fi and such with Civil War, so that should help warming up for the even bigger war. Still, I would rather they branch out a bit with directors and not just use the same ones over and over, even if they did a good job the first time (Jon Favreau between the first and second Iron Man films, and all) and give them a chance to make other films in between to build up their experience more before coming back. Joss Whedon was able to do other stuff between the first and second Avengers so that was good (not that I don't have faith in him to make anything great) but pulling in the Russos to immediately follow TWS with CW and then two more films in the same line on top of that, I wouldn't think would be a good move logistically, without any personal feelings about any particular directors. Even Joss Whedon would need a decent hiatus from that, and it looks like he's just doing that on a more indefinite basis.

SapphireStar

At least they seemed to get the costume right for Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds tweeted a pic of it. Full costume, lounging on a bear skin rug infront of a fireplace  ;D Tag line: With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

CaptainNexus616

Do not tease me with such! Please provide a link to this lol

SapphireStar

Found a video for Deadpool "Leaked" test footage on youtube featuring Ryan Renyolds as Deadpool. If the movie is anything like the test footage I am so going to see the movie  ;D

twitter.com/deadpoolmovie

Hopefully the link works. Other sites like Comicvine are reporting the news too.

Edit: Did some digging. The "Leaked" test footage was from a few years ago, done by Blur studios. No connection to the upcoming movie apparently. It was done to drum up support ahead of the Comicon at the time. But, it was Ryan Renyolds doing the voice. the footage had been pulled, as Fox hadn't approved it, but has resurfaced lately.  And, completely CGI, which looks amazing for a test.

Mathim

Should be amusing to see when they put up a synopsis, LOL. I mean, how good can the story be when it's probably going to be a showcase of beautiful action montages and one-liners? Not that there's anything wrong with that, it'll probably just be funny for the writers to come up with an apt description.

Zelta Runa

Here’s hoping it doesn’t fall victim to the “Avengers effect” like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did.

I wrote a blog post about upcoming superhero flicks. I wonder if we’re allowed to link that sort of thing.
“ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
— Gandalf

— Ω —
BACK… IN A LIMITED CAPACITY
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Deamonbane

It's apparently gonna be doing an origin story for Deadpool. I can't tell if that's good or bad.

Zelta Runa

Colour me… mildly interested?

That’s more than I can say for Ant-Man or the Fantastic 4 reboot.
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Mathim

Quote from: WongBal on March 29, 2015, 01:51:43 AM
Here’s hoping it doesn’t fall victim to the “Avengers effect” like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did.

I wrote a blog post about upcoming superhero flicks. I wonder if we’re allowed to link that sort of thing.

Gonna have to ask you to clarify what exactly you mean by the "Avengers effect" and how TASM2 did this.

Deamonbane

The Avenger's Effect is (I think) the way that super hero movies seem to always focus half the movie on the potential sequel(s) instead of on the plot of the movie itself, which was what TASM2 did

Zelta Runa

Quote from: Deamonbane on March 29, 2015, 10:04:03 AM
The Avenger's Effect is (I think) the way that super hero movies seem to always focus half the movie on the potential sequel(s) instead of on the plot of the movie itself, which was what TASM2 did
Exactly. TASM2 wasn’t bad, but it could’ve been way better if they’d just focused on one villain. Electro goes from worshipping Spider-Man to wanting to murder him in the space of five minutes, Harry shows up out of nowhere and gets shoved into a goblin suit by the third act, and then there’s Rhino running around, too.

I bring it up because Fox is sort of doing something similar, although with more success. The Wolverine took a page from Marvel’s book by having Xavier and Magneto show up after the credits to talk about “dark forces rising.” Then they did Days of Future Past, which was a huge success. Now they’re finally doing a Deadpool movie, but they’re also doing a Gambit spinoff and a sequel to The Wolverine. Avengers effect. :)
— Gandalf

— Ω —
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Deamonbane

Can they do a sequel to The Wolverine even after the generalizec reboot that was Days of Future Past?