High fantasy game (MxM - mix) Perhaps a small group game?

Started by Sergeant, December 26, 2015, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant

Not really a written out or solid idea but,

I've been thinking about (and craving) a game that is a mix of KenshinxStarWarsx.... (samurai, swords, magic,
...)

Just all in all a really high fantasy setting where we can just let our imagination run wild and have some fun! Crazy characters ahoy!
I only write MxM but if this gets the attention of more people I think this could be a fun grouo game with a mix of genders and sexualities.

You can post here if the group idea sparks your interest.

Zhu Que

I could see this being a very interesting game idea. Would need to outline somethings about abilities and what-not, but could lead to some very interesting settings.

Sergeant

I have a drawing that pretty much sums up what my vision for this world would be but that'll have to wait until I get home.

If we maybe play around with there being a ban on magic or it being only for certain people that could be something that gets the story started. Maybe a group that sets out to get the ban lifted or just uses magic on the down low, etc..

Zhu Que

I can't wait to see the drawing. ^_^

A ban on magic sounds fun... and depending on the way the story is set, it could either follow some trying to lift the ban making it a 'for the people' type setting, or it could follow those that disobey the ban and make it like a 'fuck the rules, I do what I want' setting. Both are interesting ways to go about it, and on a group game, it would be interesting to see characters on all sides of it (including some that fight to keep the ban). Personally, for a one-on-one game, I could see either style being fun. (I totally just spelled style 'Stiles'... I marathon-ed a lot of Dylan O'Brien stuff - including all five seasons of Teen Wolf for some reason, lol)

Sergeant

Sadly, I didn't make the drawing. But I totally could have. (Not really)

Group or one-on-one; every one would need to chip in and play both sides.

I never knew he did TW before The mazerunner until now lol. The korean actor should have been the lead tho, just saying  ;D

Zhu Que

Well, even if you didn't make it, you found it, so yeah, you did half thte work, lol.

Good point.

Yeah, I got into reading some stories and decided I thought Tyler Hoechlin was kinda hot- saw all the Sterek shipping and needed to see Stiles. Love his character so much. So I watched everything Dylan did that I could find, cause... Well, he's such a fun actor. (Definitely love Stiles's sarcasm and savy way of knowing things. Everyone should always believe and trust his instincts... "That dude is evil!" "Okay Stiles, we believe you, lets deal with him." lol) Ki Hong Lee is a gorgeous Korean, and Minho definitely should have been the main character, cause I don't think I got tired of looking at him or hearing him speak ('This dumb shank' has to be one of my favorite lines from the first MazeRunner).

You did it... I was trying not to be my normal fetishist self and focus on the Korean (cause, I'll admit, I've been hooked on Koreans for many years -.-) and you went and mentioned him. Yup, now I'm thinking about him. Sigh.

Sergeant

Well. DAMN, these pictures are big. Just handle it because I'm too lazy to crop etc.
Do ignore the characters, I'm talking mainly about the settings. We could make it a mix of old/new.

Can only say one thing to that; you're very welcome. He's a much stronger character than I would expect a side to be. I saw the second movie too and all I could think was 'damn, this is a grey movie'. All in all filmed really dark/colorless.

Zhu Que

Love the pictures. Love the watery world idea. ^_^
Mix old/new, sounds good.
I really like the forest-y look, too. The main building in the first picture is in a broken tree trunk, which is super awesome. I can see the setting being fun to work around. It would be interesting to see those characters that are disobeying the ban get chased about the paths over the water and stuff.

Agreed, Minho was a strong character throughout both movies. The shooting style of the first was amazing for being only a forty-four day shoot, it surprises me that the second took longer to shoot and lost a little of the quality of the first, in style. The actors were great. So far, everything I've seen, Ki Hong Lee is the only main cast member who didn't have casting issues. Dylan was almost not casted because the director thought he wouldn't fit the look because of his hair, until someone sent him a shot of Dylan without gel in his hair. The role of Teresa had like four actresses that could have gotten the part. Gally and Newt's actors both auditioned for both parts. Oh, forgive me, I forgot, Chuck's actor got the role with just a picture (as far as I've read) because someone sent his picture in and the director was like 'he's perfect for Chuck.'

So for the fact that the cast turned out pretty amazing given the issues casting them, I can kind of forgive the muted filming style for the second one. Though, wish it had been more edgy if they were going to use lower colors.

Sergeant

Same. I know it has a heavy Japanese feel to it but that's also not necessary. I don't want it to have rules set in stone, or certain traditions or just any specific country/heritage that dominates. If anything, I want it to come really easy when we think of extraordinary housing or spells or fighting techniques which it will be when most of the stuff is thought of by our own imagination. 

It's understandable about the quality getting lost or the feel being completely different because both settings are as different as possible. And I think that's exactly what I was trying to say! If you make it such a dark second part, at least make it edgy. Now it just felt washed out.

I was thinking 'I didn't really care for the actress, but why' and then I remember she completely fucked them over by the end of the movie, hahah. Damn.

Zhu Que

I do agree it definitely has the Japanese influence, but if we say something like... different world where our countries are not the existent ones for the game, then it can be written off as just the lay of the land and available resources that dictate the way buildings and living styles developed. I mean, if you live in a naturally watery location, platforms and bridges are bound to be your main form of traveling, and then of course, adding magics and technologies of types, you'll get cool boats and other forms of transport. So that makes it easier to not have a specific dominant social style.

I think part of it was that it was so focused on the travel, when they didn't do much with the traveling. There wasn't a lot of struggle or fighting, little drama or mystery. When Teresa said something about 'what you did' to Thomas, and when she grabbed the radio when they were at Jorge's hideout, it was obvious she was going to be a problem, so no mystery there. It wasn't a surprise when one got bitten, though it was a bit of a surprise that all of them were so understanding to their friends desire not to turn and wanted to end it before he did. Most of the interest in the movie was in dialogue and they didn't do much with it like they did in the first movie. Definitely could have had slightly better character moments. More intense fights like them escaping from the compound at the start.

Yeah, she did, and it was so frustrating.

Sergeant

Perfect! I was thinking about my character and I'll probably make him some sort of recluse/traveler.

And an option for the story line;

If there is a certain spell or a sort of bracelet (just throwing stuff out there, sorry if it's ridiculous) that binds people's magic, it could work that MC is trying to find somebody to undo the spell or the item that could uncuff the bracelet. Wherever they/it is, the first time MC and YC meet is when they both figure out the location and end up in the middle. They could both be strong x smart enough to go through the many guards or obstacles but in the end have to run before they could get their hands on it or before they could persuade the person to help them lift the blocking spell. If they get figured out that it was them that tried to break in there could be an officer or politician that knocks on their door and gives them a choice to either a) work for the government or b) well. Get fucked over, pretty much.

If they agree to work for the government and they see each other again they could come up with a plan to work for them but also work against them?

(If by any chance this story gets more attention from any lurkers out there, feel free to jump in and say hello)

I'm not sure if you're having any ideas? If we have a few we could maybe pick the best parts and blend them together.

It could have all easily been solved if the bad guys gave his memory back. I mean. If the girl was so convinced they were on the wrong side because she got hers back then it's not hard to figure out the solution, no? The first idea was good. Memory loss, group forced to live together and try to survive, the maze... All of it was strong and inventive. But the second movie was trying too hard. Or maybe not enough.

Zhu Que

Oh, sounds interesting. I was thinking of playing a character that did odd jobs, helping others when possible, but also being a bit of a sneak/thief. Does help, but not in the most conventional of ways sometimes. Willing to work with seedy people and people of good standing, as long as it benefits him somehow.

I like the idea of an item attached in a way that people can't remove. Maybe an implant that just removing could harm them if removed haphazardly. That would prevent people from just trying to remove it themselves. Most either not willing to risk damage or just being compliant because of the item.

I like the idea of them getting there, but being unable to get the item or talk to the person who can help remove the item.

I could see MC possibly accepting to work for the government in order to get closer to the item or person, to get the item removed. Or MC could refuse and go into hiding, but still working to get to that item or person, but now more willing to do harm to the government if they keep getting in the way.

I would be interesting to see maybe someone try to bribe MC into giving the other (or others depending on how many) up, since his history of working for some kind of gain.

If they work for the government, it would be fun to see all the things they can do to undermine it from inside.

Maybe not enough, it felt like they kind of were just skating through, relying on the actors/characters to be interesting enough on their own to get through to the end. I hope the third one is done better. I mean, I love the characters, but the movie still needed to be a good follow up to the first.

Sergeant

Cool. Have you thought about the kind of magic he'd have?

We could do the first setting where they get there and meet for the first time OR they meet before all that because they were both looking for a partner.
I was thinking that having magic is a little like breathing. If it's restricted it's like part of you is missing and there's a constant yearning for it. If YC runs away or refuses working for the government it might be that MC has a harder time not accepting their offer. Especially is their offer includes having the item removed and have magic again... it could then be they try to work together from both sides.

Also, as a believable reason to be asked to work for the government; they have no magic but were still able to get really close to the person/item, so they look very strong and capable.

When does it come out? Did you see Star Wars?

Zhu Que

I haven't thought much on that just yet, was thinking we could cover those ideas together.

I think maybe they meet just before they head to get the item. Maybe MC heard about YC looking for a partner through the seedy side of things that is hidden from the government. That way they aren't too acquainted, but do know each other some. This way it isn't too unreasonable that they start working together from opposite sides. I like the idea that one joins and the other runs.

I also like the idea that magic is them and missing it is like not being whole. It's like the government literally taking a piece of you away. Also, yeah, I just looked at it like they are a threat to the government for being able to get so close without magic, what if they had their magic, how dangerous could they have been, lol.

I just thought, if magic is like a piece of them, maybe they way they act is a sign of what their magic could be like. Like, maybe MC's magic relates to his sneakiness or something, could cause illusions, disguises, or something like that? Like their magic, whether blocked off or not, helps guide them in their life style. Just thought this since in most fantasy things, something with magic tends to live a lifestyle that relates to their magic (high elves, drow, angels, demons, stuff like those).

It hasn't been announced yet, but Dylan, Ki Hong Lee, and Thomas have kind of hinted at the follow up. Ki Hong Lee mentioned it in passing on a Korean interview I believe. I haven't seen the new Star Wars yet. I was offered to see it when it came out, but I was doing other things.

Sergeant

Ok, so far;

- Magic blocked by item only the government can remove
- Magic is like a part of you and a respresentation* (I like this a lot)
- They meet before the raid to figure out the plan
- MC accepts the government's deal and YC doesn't**

*I imagine MC using electricity (or something along those lines) because he's such a hot head. His emotions probably enhance that power and its accuracy.

**We'll need to figure out what would draw them into working together after they both make different decisions. Perhaps MC has trouble coping with working for such bastards and maybe tries to get back in touch with YC to inform him of future plans?

Did the last hunger game come out yet btw? Lol
Star wars was good. No need to really see it at the movies unlike other ones.

Zhu Que

Yep, looking good. Glad you like the idea of magic as a representation, I liked the idea too. ^_^

Electricity is nice.

Hmm, for drawing them back together? Maybe while YC is working for them, MC is still looking for another angle to get his item removed. He'll be more determined, especially after getting so close and now being on the government's watch list. They could get in contact somehow, and start making plans from there. Maybe YC remembers that MC follows the underground talk closely and passes a message to him that way?

I'm not sure if it came out yet, I've not payed much attention, lol.

Sergeant

Awesome. I suggest we just go for it Zhu. If there's anybody who reads this after we start and would like to join we could go from there?

Zhu Que

Sounds great to me. We can jump on in, and we can always find ways to bring in more people or maybe even put up a request thread in group games if we start really craving additional players. ^_^

Winds Of Lust

I have admittedly only skimmed the details of ya'll conversation but I would be interested in playing around in this sort of setting if you are willing to run with more people.

Though I totally understand if ya'll want to start of as just the pair of you. Feel free to let me know if you find room for anouther ^^

Zhu Que

I'm open to another from the start if Pocket is (which I believe was an option to start, so maybe.^_^).

Any ideas on what you're thinking for your character?
Any thoughts of the story line we've set up so far?

Winds Of Lust

do I'm digging it so far :D though I may world building questions on the nature of the technology, magic, and the over all form of the government involvement with people born with magic.

So why is there a magic ban? Is it because of how powerful and useful of a tool it can be? If that is the case is it that if you have magic you either have the choice of working for the government or getting it taken from you? Perhaps people of higher stature in the society or government seen as 'responsible citizens' are allowed to keep their magic regardless of government/military involvement ( total side thought ). If you go with an item that prevents/cuts off magic, is the nature of this item magic or tech or both? I sort of like this idea that you have tech but also tech worked in with magic; like enchantments. Like its what makes some forms of tech possible in this world ( Fly spells on air ship engines, fire spell on guns, defense spells on hulls and armor and such, ect )

This may me just being cliche and thinking with people bringing up anime references but what if this thing that could remove the hindrance on the main characters magic was actually my character? Someone born with the ability to dis-enchant? Scrub magic clean from items, kill spells in mid flight, even maybe temporarily knocking out a mages powers? They would be take an studied/used by such a magically involved goverment right away. Ya'll get them free and we can have on the run from government shinanagins?

If that isn't ya'lls cup of tea, I'm fairly flexible with character ideas. I wouldn't mind doing someone who was a straight up close quarters warrior since we a roughish-theify sort and a lighting mage. Round out the party so to speak.

Zhu Que

I believe we were still looking at it as sci-fi, so advanced technology, definitely could see technology and magic as separate but with some things benefiting from using technology with magic superimposed on it.

I viewed the government as a 'two-options' deal. Either you work for the government, or you have your magic suppressed. Figured there could be tests that start at a certain age, maybe magic doesn't start developing and showing until a certain age and that is about the time the government tests a person. If found to have magic, they offer the option to train in a program, and if refused, then they tag you. Said tag can either be an item that gets implanted (could be triggered by an item or maybe a person if we go with you playing the character than can defuse the item), which blocks the body's ability to activate and use the magic inside one.

The government has a ban on magic because it is dangerous. Maybe the original intent of the government was to train young peoples with magic, no ban in place-just observation. As more people refused and harmful magic was not used safely, the government became more insistent on trying to bring people in and train them. This would lead to the creation of the device to block magic. It would originally be used just to block magic that shows to be dangerous. Corruption and stuff happens in the government and it goes from trying to protect the people from harmful magic to something darker. To total control, either you join and work for them, or you lose your magic, whether it is harmful or not. Thus, it has been this way since. At least, until our team steps in and decides 'fuck the government.'

At least, this is what I had considered being the progression for the government setting up the ban. I had considered it when I thought maybe to make a character that starts as a worker for the government and had gone through the records and found how corrupt it really was, but then I like my rogue-y idea, lol.

I'm not strictly against the idea of you playing the character who can disenchant the items/implants/whatever, it would be pretty cool, but we'd have to really go over the ups and downs of that type of magic, so that we're all comfortable with the abilities to it (really, we should go over the ups and downs of whatever magic any of us choose, just a magic that can kill spells and drop ships from flight is super strong and needs to be covered properly). Again, I'm not against it, as long as we all agree and cover it right, but I do like the idea of a well rounded group (played a LOT of D&D without a nice rounded party and it gets touch sometimes).

I'd definitely love to go over this stuff with you and Pocket so that we can see where we can go. ^_^

Winds Of Lust

Coolio, that is largely how I was picturing how the government worked as well.

And don't worry about me making a OP character, I'm not about that life. I'd say this character would have to deal with the same sort of stamina restrictions as a traditional magic user ( assuming there are such things with this magic system ), for enchanted items they'd probable have to physically touch to undo what they have going on, and only a ten or so foot radius on their other nullification effects.

But yeah I'm way willing to discuss all our options :D

Zhu Que

I figure the biggest issue with magic to start with in the game is for those that have had it blocked for so long and then to suddenly have it back, learning limits and control will be the hurdle. Would suck to be using illusions to get through a place and suddenly the magic fades and he's left standing there (maybe he'll have a box like Snake--'What was that!? Oh a box, never mind.' lol Just kidding).

A touch based nullification could be workable, especially if you mix that with a close range combatant. Punch punch nullified! (sorry, I'm a little hyper I suppose)

I see lightning being their best weapon for quite a bit of stuff, since range is great and electricity would be useful against technology and stuff.

I am interested to see how the three of us work with this. ^_^

Sergeant

All right! Sorry had two really busy shifts!

The reason for the ban would definitely be because when it was still uncontrolled there were too many incidents. Think weaker getting pushed around by the stronger, etc..
I wouldn't maybe go as far as spells being used for technology? If that's the case it seems technolodgy only exists because of magic and it would be cool if both had nothing to do with one another.

YC being able to nullify other magic is a cool idea but for them to be the sole reason the whole "world" can't use magic might be a little stretched. Unless that's not what you meant? If it's just YC's power of magic then it's fine. Like use it in battle but not constantly?

MC would be able to congure electricity but because of the ban I'd definitely make him capable when using a sword (katana). If he gets his magic back the sword would probably be mixed with magic in a way where getting cut would be paralyzing the limb for a second or two. But we'll definitely have to go over the strengths etc..

So since I've never really played in a group game before do we just use one forum or how do you guys see this happening?