Firefox slow load

Started by despickable, April 16, 2012, 07:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

despickable

My firefox is taking forever to load a page i log in to E but I get the egg timer thing on the page sitting there for what seems like five six minutes yet exploerer loads me in immediately
Does anyone have any clue why this is happening?
And I really don't want to delete Firefox as i perfer to keep it but this is very annoying

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

despickable

Quote from: Saffron on April 16, 2012, 09:44:22 PM
Clear your cache?
How do I do that? I'm not real big on the technology stuff

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Oreo

Top of the Firefox bar, click Tools. Go down to Clear Recent  History, un-check everything except Cache. Hit the clear button.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

despickable

ok did that will i need to restart as i still unable to open pages

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

jaybee55

Cache bloat can slow down the startup time, but usually by seconds (maybe 20-30 at worst), not minutes.

What version of Firefox do you have?  What version of Windows are you running?  How much RAM do you have?

Here's a simple test to see if its a RAM problem: Make sure you close all applications.  Start Firefox.  Does it still take forever?  If not you probably need more RAM.  (caveat: If you are running Windows 7 with < 2gb of RAM you might have issues no matter what you do).

You might also be interested in the official answer from the Mozilla support folks:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-takes-long-time-start-up
Ons and Offs (incomplete)

despickable

I hav e FDirefox 11 .0 I run windows 98 I have plenty of RAm it has only been a problem in the last few days
I have plenty of space cos i store important files and big ones on a portable harddrive
It is slow as in it open on home page but I left it and ten minutes later ist still hasnt opened the page
Im off to work now so I will shut it all down and the restart might help I will let you know how it went on my return

Thanks all for assisting

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Vekseid

You're seriously running Firefox 11 on Windows 98?

despickable

Quote from: Vekseid on April 16, 2012, 11:47:41 PM
You're seriously running Firefox 11 on Windows 98?

I have been for quite awhile Veks. Is there a programme I should be running with windows 98

It hasn't worked since clearing history either so I guess I need to delete Firefox as it
When rebooting in the cache box remained ticked despite clearing it before closing

It opened and worked through start menu so it seems to be okay now but advice on upgrades very much appriciated to hear what is good

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

jaybee55

Personally I'm amazed that FF11 runs on win98 at all.  Wow!  And since you're running win98 you're stuck with IE6 as an alternative... wow :(

I'm fairly certain you can still get a "legacy" version of Opera that will run on win98.  Maybe that's a viable alternative?

Did you try any of the official fixes suggested by the link I sent?

My gut feeling is still that you're having a memory problem, and that the interminable delays are probably a result of thrashing.  So, when you say you have "plenty of RAM" can you be a little more specific?  Of course that might be a moot point: Windows 98 has a flaw that causes all but the top 512mb (of a maximum 2gb) to be nearly unusable - it gets allocated to disk cache instead of process space.  Modern versions of Firefox (with a half-dozen tabs open) can easily use that much RAM all by itself.

(And by the way, my hacker friends tell me that finding a win98 box on the internet is like going to someone's house and knowing there's a front door key under the mat... just saying)
Ons and Offs (incomplete)

despickable

Sorry I had the computer updated Im tired and frustrated so I wasnt thinking I checked I have Winxp home addition 2002
I had firefox working by opening at start menu but on closing and retrying it is lagging again.
I did looka t one of the things listed but I will go through the ideas listed and try to sort it
The page opens at home page E but lags when opening into site I can use Explorer to visit but it appears I might have to unstall fire fox unless the other options work
Anyway Im off to bed and sort it tomorrow sorry for the confusion Im not savvy on programmes

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Vekseid

Quote from: jaybee55 on April 17, 2012, 08:58:24 AM
Personally I'm amazed that FF11 runs on win98 at all.  Wow!  And since you're running win98 you're stuck with IE6 as an alternative... wow :(

I'm fairly certain you can still get a "legacy" version of Opera that will run on win98.  Maybe that's a viable alternative?

Did you try any of the official fixes suggested by the link I sent?

My gut feeling is still that you're having a memory problem, and that the interminable delays are probably a result of thrashing.  So, when you say you have "plenty of RAM" can you be a little more specific?  Of course that might be a moot point: Windows 98 has a flaw that causes all but the top 512mb (of a maximum 2gb) to be nearly unusable - it gets allocated to disk cache instead of process space.  Modern versions of Firefox (with a half-dozen tabs open) can easily use that much RAM all by itself.

(And by the way, my hacker friends tell me that finding a win98 box on the internet is like going to someone's house and knowing there's a front door key under the mat... just saying)

You need to patch the kernel to get FF4+ running on Win98. Which surprised me as people capable of doing that tend to be pretty savvy, and not the sort of person who would start a thread like this.

No offense >_>

Quote from: despickable on April 17, 2012, 09:29:45 AM
Sorry I had the computer updated Im tired and frustrated so I wasnt thinking I checked I have Winxp home addition 2002
I had firefox working by opening at start menu but on closing and retrying it is lagging again.
I did looka t one of the things listed but I will go through the ideas listed and try to sort it
The page opens at home page E but lags when opening into site I can use Explorer to visit but it appears I might have to unstall fire fox unless the other options work
Anyway Im off to bed and sort it tomorrow sorry for the confusion Im not savvy on programmes

Check your plugins and extensions, which ones do you have installed/enabled?

despickable

Checking add ons it wont allow as it is lagging and I have been able to operate it if I log out but leave page open and switch of to stand by mode
It took nearly 20 mins  to open and operate when I last closed it down
I shut down and switched off and the lag problem has returned.
I can't try the other options mentioned above due to it lagging and I figure my only option is to delete the programme and reinstall it again which seems the only option

I have not updated anything and it still doesn't want to work so I will lose my bookmarks and do I lose  E as the home pagge/
Is there a way to save those if I can?

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Oreo

Yes, if you can get on long enough. Click your bookmarks. Choose 'organize bookmarks'. Then Export Bookmarks. When I do it, it saves it to my pictures. Then when you get reloaded you can Import them from the saved cache. You may not need to do that unless you are moving to a different computer though. Firefox should have them stored even if you try another version. I use an older one, 3.6.2, I think.

Sorry, edit: To change your homepage. Open E, then click Tools --> options --> general. The option to make E your homepage is there.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

despickable

Quote from: Oreo on April 23, 2012, 03:26:28 AM
Yes, if you can get on long enough. Click your bookmarks. Choose 'organize bookmarks'. Then Export Bookmarks. When I do it, it saves it to my pictures. Then when you get reloaded you can Import them from the saved cache. You may not need to do that unless you are moving to a different computer though. Firefox should have them stored even if you try another version. I use an older one, 3.6.2, I think.

I can't open anything other than the start up page everything else just sits there and lags i tried doing as their so called help page suggested and could not make head or tail of half of it i posted the code they suggested into the dialogue bosx as suggested and it did nothing
I guess refreshing might help but it just lags when trying to open caches or anything else

I don't see organise bookmarks on the list only show all bookmarks

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Oreo

I can see the dilemma. I had a similar one with one of my add-ons messing everything up. I had to disable them all, reboot and try them one at a time until I found the glitch. With the lag that might not be possible. Uninstalling likely wont help, because the add-ons are still there when you load the new version. I have no idea if loading an older version would help the problem or not.

despickable

It's running after a ten min wait I will try and close off a few of the add ons and try and work out which ones to get rid off and hopefully fix

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

despickable

I updated to Firefox 13.01 the lag time problem is still happening I deeted and reinstalled it but not getting any improvement. I guess unless you have suggestions Firefox is going to never be used by me again as I have had it with this issue and leaving my PC on standby with the programme open isn't satisfactory
Any other suggestions on how I can fix this issue

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page