Windows Vista vs. Windows 7

Started by Caeli, July 16, 2010, 12:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

I recently purchased a copy of Windows 7 (only $30! finally!), but I've put off changing the OS on my computer because it's been a while since I've done the "entire computer backup", as I usually only stick to my most important files and documents.

I have some quick questions before I decide when I want to do this:
1. Does it take very long to do? Are there a lot of extra little things that are required after the initial OS switch?
2. I've heard from some friends that the Windows 7 upgrade does not require a software/data backup. Is this true? (I'll do it anyway, but I'm just curious)
3. Is the change worth it? How long did it take you to get used to the new OS?
4. What significant changes in usage are there?
5. Are there any external or accessory programs that you would recommend for use with Windows 7?

Without doing the switch yet, I don't have anything more specific, but I think that'll do for now.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Soran

Hi Caeli.

I can't answer your first question as I installed Windows 7 as a clean install, not an upgrade.
2/ I haven't bothered with a software backup. The only time I had to reinstall it was when my internet security went nuts.
3/ YES! Absolutely. Windows 7 is much less of a resource hog than vista. It is very easy to get used to. Some elements are like vista so you shouldn't have any issues. I found it very easy to use from the off.
4/...hhm usage. I'm not really sure what you mean. It boots quickly and shuts down just as quick. It feels as if its built around the vista model, but also has the easy usability of xp (from my perspective)
5/ There is a virtual pc with xp which you can load to use your older xp programs with if the compatibility option doesn't work.

From my point of view, Windows 7 is a much better O/S than vista. A lot less temperamental and much more stable. I won't pretend there isn't the occasional issue, but I think its well worth the change.

Good luck :)

princeben07

I'm running Vista Black Edition 2010 and it blows Widnows 7 to HELL.

No crashes, no loss of data, easy setup and driver packs are updated through Automatic Updates. Windows 7 does an upgrade fine. You should have a problem WITH Windows 7.

Scott

Ok, I don't think there's much differences. With 7 you lose the "Always on top" option for your windows, but there's a widget you can download to get it back. The half screens are great if you have a large screen, but on a normal size laptop I don't use it that much. ummmmmmmm you have to use a separate e-mail provider, like Mozilla Thunderbird, because outlook express isn't on 7, other than that not a lot of difference. I didn't have to back up anything, and didn't lose anything during the switch. I don't remember it taking that long time-wise to do. 

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Caeli on July 16, 2010, 12:30:48 AM
I recently purchased a copy of Windows 7 (only $30! finally!), but I've put off changing the OS on my computer because it's been a while since I've done the "entire computer backup", as I usually only stick to my most important files and documents.

I have some quick questions before I decide when I want to do this:
1. Does it take very long to do? Are there a lot of extra little things that are required after the initial OS switch?
2. I've heard from some friends that the Windows 7 upgrade does not require a software/data backup. Is this true? (I'll do it anyway, but I'm just curious)
3. Is the change worth it? How long did it take you to get used to the new OS?
4. What significant changes in usage are there?
5. Are there any external or accessory programs that you would recommend for use with Windows 7?

Without doing the switch yet, I don't have anything more specific, but I think that'll do for now.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

1. One hour most.
2. Yes, it is true. But you made the right decision, just in case.
3. Definitely. Forget every complain you had about Vista, they won't apply to 7
4. Windows 7 is very lighter and much more user friendly than Vista.
5. Not that I recall off.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Transgirlenstein

Wait.  If I update my laptop from Vista to Windows, I don't need to backup anything?  Like all my files and documents would be fine?  Really?
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Transgirlenstein on September 23, 2010, 08:58:38 AM
Wait.  If I update my laptop from Vista to Windows, I don't need to backup anything?  Like all my files and documents would be fine?  Really?

Vista is another Windows. If you go from Vista to 7 you don't need to backup anything, this is a feature Windows has: When upgrading to a newer version there is no need for back-ups, for you won't have to format the HDD.

You would only need backups for a downgrade (7 to Vista, Vista to XP, and there goes on), for you'd need a format in this case.

A & A

Transgirlenstein

Quote from: Chevalier des Poissons on September 23, 2010, 04:03:54 PM
Vista is another Windows. If you go from Vista to 7 you don't need to backup anything, this is a feature Windows has: When upgrading to a newer version there is no need for back-ups, for you won't have to format the HDD.

You would only need backups for a downgrade (7 to Vista, Vista to XP, and there goes on), for you'd need a format in this case.

Sweet.  Between that and the Vista memory issues I'm having, you just sold me on Windows 7.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Oniya

After watching my husband deal with Vista, and then get a new desktop with Win7 - even if you had to get a backup, nuke the old machine until it glowed, and then reinstall everything from 5.25 floppies, it would be worth it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

For some reason, my laptop gave me this compatibility error when I tried to upgrade to Windows 7:

QuoteWindows Vista™ Home Premium cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

I'm kind of ticked off. =_= I've spent the last four hours (and counting) backing up my important files and my most recently downloaded movies and Asian dramas.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Caeli on September 27, 2010, 05:53:43 PM
For some reason, my laptop gave me this compatibility error when I tried to upgrade to Windows 7:

I'm kind of ticked off. =_= I've spent the last four hours (and counting) backing up my important files and my most recently downloaded movies and Asian dramas.

There is still an option that will save you from back-ups.

Upgrade from Vista Home Premium to vista Business, then upgrade it to Windows 7 Professional.

That happens because the Home versions of Vista and 7 don't have some of the basic functions (Including use of wallpapers, weirdly), hence why the Home's are known as "Windows for dummies".

It won't be free, but it will save you those hours.

A & A

Caeli

Ah... is that why it wouldn't work?

Well, I'm done backing up my files, so I'm going to go ahead and "upgrade" (a.k.a. do a fresh install). It'll help my computer run faster, anyway... now all I need is to write down all the programs that I'll need to re-download in the future!

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Caeli on September 27, 2010, 09:41:10 PM
Ah... is that why it wouldn't work?

Well, I'm done backing up my files, so I'm going to go ahead and "upgrade" (a.k.a. do a fresh install). It'll help my computer run faster, anyway... now all I need is to write down all the programs that I'll need to re-download in the future!

(It would take less time to go to another vista version then hop to 7. Specially because of the compatibility thing)

A & A

Caeli

Yes, except I would need to purchase another version of Vista... I don't have that kind of money lying around. :P

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Caeli on September 27, 2010, 09:45:23 PM
Yes, except I would need to purchase another version of Vista... I don't have that kind of money lying around. :P

Details, details... 8-)

A & A

Caeli

Quote from: Chevalier des Poissons on September 27, 2010, 09:46:01 PM
Details, details... 8-)

8)

Plus, doing a fresh install will wipe all of the crap out of my computer. The thought is very tempting.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Caeli on September 27, 2010, 09:48:23 PM
8)

Plus, doing a fresh install will wipe all of the crap out of my computer. The thought is very tempting.

Pr0n?

Thanks Athena I don't have those kinds of thing here :P

A & A

Caeli

Mostly games and extra programs that I don't use. *nods* I haven't done a defrag or a reformat in months.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Caeli on September 27, 2010, 09:53:20 PM
Mostly games and extra programs that I don't use. *nods* I haven't done a defrag or a reformat in months.

To be honest, the reformat isn't that necessary (Except in your current case). Whenever you are over with the transition drop me a PM and I will give a set of maintenance tools that, allied to the defrag, prevented my computer from being formatted for the last 2 years. And counting.

A & A