Losing long posts while writing them :-(

Started by Aeval, December 27, 2009, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeval

Was just wondering if anyone knows a way to save long posts while you are writing them here in E! I have lost several long ones over the course of time *just like the one I was just writing! *cries** and I DEARLY would love to know how to stop this from happening in the future!

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Will

If you're using Firefox on a PC, Lazarus works pretty well.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Marguerite

Try writing it on notepad or another word document and save it before placing it on Elliquiy. It has helped to save posts when Elliquiy lags or my Firefox collapses.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Haibane

My heart feels for you, I know exactly your frustration.

Unless its a very short post I use Word or Notepad now and copy/paste the post in when I'm ready to send it off.

Before the last upgrade you could recover your post by hitting the back button but that feature isn't available any more, at least not until some code gets rewritten or so I understand :(

EDIT: Thanks Will! I now have Lazarus installed! *hugs*

Aeval

Thank you Will...but..I think you are talking a foreign language! *isn't very computer literate except to turn it on and off and manage around E! and word!*

Thank you Marguerite..I am doing that and will do in the future because losing long posts is just too painful.

Thank you Haibane for your compassion..makes me feel better that it's not just me!

*goes to finish her LONG post in Word to then copy and paste!*

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Caeli

Aeval, what browser do you use to surf the Internet? :-)

Mozilla Firefox is one of several; Will was saying that if you use it on a PC (as opposed to a MAC), you could add a small plug-in type of feature to the browser, that would automatically save what you typed.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Cecilia

Sometimes hitting the back button on your browser (At least on Firefox) will let you find it again--you can copy and paste it in a new reply. 

I think we've all had that happen at one time or another, though. 

Aeval

Caeli..this is going to sound stupid I know..but I am not sure what browser I use :-(..Explorer..is that a browser?

Cecilia..I think I used to be able to use the back button and get to the post..but it doesn't work anymore :-(

― Neil Gaiman

Caeli

What does the icon of your browser look like? Is it a blue lower-case "e", or a an orange fox around a globe? :-)

And it's not stupid. Also, in the title of your browser window, it should say "Mozilla Firefox" or "Internet Explorer" or something like that. It sounds like you have Internet Explorer, though.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Aeval

Thank you Caeli for your patience..yes..it is the blue e and when I hover over it it does say: Launch Internet Explorer Brower!

― Neil Gaiman

Caeli

The Firefox plug-in wouldn't work then, since it's a different browser. :-) However, typing up your posts in Word or notepad would probably work, yeah? ^__^

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Aeval

Thanks Caeli..I am going to do that from now on..until..maybe..Veks can add something here that will allow posts that vanish..to reappear!! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that could have helped! *hugs*

― Neil Gaiman

Vekseid

Quote from: Cecilia on December 27, 2009, 03:55:42 PM
Sometimes hitting the back button on your browser (At least on Firefox) will let you find it again--you can copy and paste it in a new reply. 

I think we've all had that happen at one time or another, though.

The new version of SMF is bugged. The SMF team is aware of it and pretty much what is causing it, a fix isn't available yet, though, is a doozy : /

Draft saving is something I have planned for the next cms : )

Aeval

Thank you Veks :-) Somehow I knew you had a solution in mind and will implement it when it is feasible.

― Neil Gaiman

consortium11

+1 to the Word suggestion... I do pretty much all my posts in there and c+p them over

Oniya

Just remember that formatting in Word won't carry over (indents and fonts).  I've used Notepad and got used to typing out tags for bold and italic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aeval

Thank you Oniya...I found that out when I was cutting and pasting yesterday! But it is better than losing everything! I haven't worked in Notepad..I will have to try it..

― Neil Gaiman

Haibane

As Notepad has no font or style formatting it forces you to use the html tags.

Alternatively you can write in Word, paste into the reply window and add the bold/italic/colour/whatever tags there. Just save a final copy back to Word before you hit 'post' ;)

Aeval

Haibane..I can type in Word and make spreadsheets in Excel...html tags..that's another story! *chuckles* I didn't realize that joining E! would be a 101 course in computer software programming! But I am learning! thank you!!

― Neil Gaiman

Paladin

Well you know you can always as E for suggestions, or come to me. :D I'm majoring in computers and have to deal with family that are not Computer literate so I'm used to explaining stuff so it dosn't hurt the brain.

Aeval

Thank you Paladin. I think everyone here has given me great suggestions.  I appreciate your offer and will remember it for next time.

― Neil Gaiman