The Fallen Knight Rebirth (DC Universe, Gotham-Based) -lgbtqa+ friendly

Started by Alias, January 28, 2017, 01:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alias

A year after the deaths of Batman and Joker in the events of Endgame*...

Everybody get out the Batman themed birthday cake, because The Fallen Knight just turned 1 year old! Welcome all, young and old, men and women, batman experts and people like Alias! We did it! Well, WE did it. Not you, but now you can join us as we cross the barrier into our second year of active roleplay.

It’s very exciting for us, a real celebration, and we’re making some big changes in an overhaul we’re calling “The Fallen Knight: Rebirth”. Now this was a fairly niche game idea; a group game that centered around what happens in Gotham City after Batman’s death, and the struggle for the younger ‘replacements’ to try and fill out the enormous hole he left behind. The selectable character list was rather short. Our application process was needlessly taxing for players and gms. So we three gms are just so astonished that we managed to survive a year. And not only did we manage that, we even got to become a Big Group Game thanks to some truly fantastic players.

Our plans are big, but not laborious. We’re gonna be doing some things we think are interesting and making the game a more vibrant open world for new players and our veterans. The biggest change is that we’re opening things up to new and different characters. We’re more willing to accept OC’s, more willing to accept meta-humans (DC’s term for people with superpowers), and we’re finally letting players submit sheets for Villainous PC’s!

Anyway, let’s talk about the game itself. What’s the story?

The Story So far

One year ago, the seemingly never ending struggle between Batman and the Joker finally reached its conclusion. The two of them died in a pile of wreckage and a chaotic cloud of joker toxin in the air. A year has passed since, the Bat’s allies have tried to keep Gotham intact, but the dark knight’s absence has been noticed. For the first six months, their various rogues seemed to be toying with them, prodding at them, testing their limits.

Now, a year later, the city has seen an influx of heroes and villains from outside of Gotham. The Caped Crusader might have worked with the Justice League but it was always clear that his city was off limits. With his death though, those restrictions have fallen away. Some may have come to help the local heroes maintain their tenuous control, others might be paying Gotham a visit to set things straight in spite of the present Bats. And the rogues are numerous. The more sinister powers on the planet feel as though there is opportunity in the city they once chose to avoid, and the villains who've made their home in Gotham are pressing the Bats to try and break them.

Running Timeline of Events*
Timeline of events

*If you want your character added to this timeline once they’ve been accepted, let us know! -Doomsday
*Some new things are happening with characters from the 1st year, so, there are more recent events as well

1984:
Bruce Wayne Leaves Gotham to go on his ten year journey of discovery and training

1985:

1986:

1987:

1988:

1989:
Bruce Wayne Meets Ra’s Al Ghul, the League of Assassins, and Talia for the first time.

Dick Grayson is born at Haly’s Circus.

Julia Pennyworth is born in London

Selina Kyle (13 years old) taken off the streets and sent to an orphanage. She disappears soon after the police crack down on corruption there after an anonymous tip.

1990:
Penguin sets up shop and slowly becomes a political force in Gotham.

Barbara Gordon is born in Ohio

Jason Todd born in Uptown Gotham

1991:

1992:
Selina Kyle starts working as a prostitute.

1993:

1994: 
Bruce Wayne comes back to Gotham, beginning his masked career as Batman.

Barbara Gordon’s Parents are killed in a crash, she moves in with her uncle Jim Gordon, and is adopted by him. She begins to live in Gotham permanently.

Selina spots Batman in action, and his omen inspires her to create the Catwoman persona.

1995:
Batman fights the Red Hood gang, which results in one of the gang supposedly dying at Ace Chemicals

1996:
The Joker first emerges in Gotham

1997:
Riddler starts to challenge the mind of Gotham’s police and Batman.

1998:
Dick Grayson’s parents are murdered. Later that year, he starts helping Batman by fighting crime as Robin

Jonathan Crane decides to use his fear gas as the villainous Scarecrow

1999:
Harvey Dent is permanently scarred by acid. Emerges as Two Face.

2000:
Victor Frieze takes up the name Mr. Freeze

2001:
Poison Ivy first makes herself known to the world

2002:

2003:
Kirk Langstrom tests a serum, hoping to cure his deafness, only to become horribly mutated and transform into ‘Man-Bat’

2004:

2005:
Killer Croc emerges from Gotham’s sewers to attack the upper world that had tortured him
Jason Todd taken in by Bruce Wayne

2006:
Dick Grayson, wanting to become his own man, decides to leave the Batcave and assumes the new Identity of Nightwing.

Jason Todd assumes the role of Robin

Roy Harper Joins the Teen Titans

2007:
Jason Todd killed by Joker in Ethiopia

2008:

2009:
Jason Todd returns to Gotham as the Red Hood, declares war on the city's gangs and Batman

2010: 
Roy Harper meets Killer Croc and tries to fight him to the death, instead Croc pulls Roy out of his funk and becomes his sponsor. Eventually Roy cleans himself up and kicks the booze.

2011:
Barbara Gordon is shot by the Joker and Paralyzed

Jason Todd and Koriand’r rescue Roy Harper from Qurac and form the Outlaws [?]

2012:
Bruce launches Batman Inc. as a way to facilitate the training of super heroes all over the world.

Selina forms the Gotham City Sirens with Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy.

2013:

2014:
Julia Pennyworth comes to Gotham and starts assisting Batman and her father while recovering from a serious abdominal wound

Barbara Gordon regains the ability to walk

Gotham City Sirens disband.

2015:
Endgame story arc. Death of Batman. 

Barbara Gordon returns to the streets as Batgirl

Due to a sudden influx of crime to Gotham City, Dick and the rest of the bat family call in the ranks of Batman Inc.

Selina “retires” as Catwoman, assuming control of the Calabrese mob family. Starts consolidating power in the criminal underworld, putting the families to use in opposing the more vile elements of Gotham’s criminal gallery.

2016:

Barbara Gordon becomes Oracle once again. This time voluntarily though

Start of game (August 2016)

Alias

Making A Character...

In the first iteration of the game, we were like hollywood television producers testing people to get into the writer’s room of a hot new tv show. The three GMs look back on that application process with cringing eyes. Partially because we were unnecessarily hard, partially because we likely lost out on some great players, and partially because it was hell on us. In the reboot here, we’ll be much more open towards applicants.

For those who don’t know our application process, it goes as such: fill out a character sheet and PM one or all three of the GMs. We’ll send you a pm back regarding our thoughts and any changes we think there should be, and then you can post the character into our thread designed for characters. It’s a basic system.

Some tips: talk to a GM, either here or in pms, a little before deciding on a character. There are a few characters that aren’t allowed, and there a few more characters that we’re hesitant on allowing into the game for various reasons (most of those are villainous characters or incredibly powerful metahumans). Be creative, don’t be afraid to change a character how you see fit. If you’re not sure about a character or you have idea you’re not sure would fit, talk to us. JamesSureWould and Doomsday have a lot of answers to questions and they love talking about it (Alias writing), research can be a bother, these two are encyclopedias. Don’t be afraid to let your character be imperfect; We really like character flaws, and find them to be the best part of a character in most scenes.

Now, we do still have a few rules for character submissions

• Re-imaging a character is fine. We are fine with genderbent character and shifting ages/backstories/etc. But the important part is that you stay true to the spirit of the character. For an example, if you were going to play Batman (not that you could) as a black man, that would be fine. But playing Batman as a guy who is a real chatter box and who loves practical jokes… we would likely have issues with that sheet.
  • We ultimately prefer quality over speed; that comes to posting, communication, and application. Thus, if we know that multiple people are submitting sheets for the same character, we will wait for all to come in before we decide which one gets the spot.
How To Apply

• Use the character sheet listed below.
  • PM the three GM's your application. (Doomsday, Alias, JamesSureWould)
  • Do not post your application in this recruitment thread.
  • Do not post your application in the approved character thread unless you have GM approval.
Character Sheet
BASIC INFO:
Legal Name:
Codename/Nickname/Aliases:

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Residence, neighborhood/type of home: (be as descriptive as you want)
Education (scholastic): (be succinct if possible, describe more in depthly in ‘Skills’ below if applicable)
Training (martial arts and otherwise): (be succinct if possible, describe more in depthly in ‘Skills’ below if applicable)
Wealth Level: (An exact gross income is not required. A scale of one to ten works, one is dirt poor, ten is bruce wayne)
Place of Birth: (self-evident)
Ethnicity: (self-evident)
Citizenship and other legal info: (self-evident)

OTHER INFORMATION:
Sexual Orientation:
Ons/Offs:

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height:
Weight:
Hair color:
Eye color:
General Appearance:
Faceclaim:

ABILITIES/EQUIPMENT/OTHER:

SKILLS: (Please list some things your character is good at, or at least has been trained and is competent at. This includes things like a fighting style, computers, repair, stunt driving, history knowledge, etc. There’s no limit to how many you can list, but these will be scrutinized base on history and background.)
Skill Name - Description here

ADVANTAGES: (Please list 1 to 5 non-skill based advantages your character may have. This may include things like a sharp sense of smell, being a light sleeper, quick reflexes, etc.)
Advantage Name - Description here

EQUIPMENT: (One of the most important things in the entire game. What kind of equipment does this character use to fight crime. This might include special gadgets that only your character has obtained, or it might be something as simple as a lock-pick set, or a ball of twine. )
Piece of Equipment - How it is used

HISTORY: (How did your character come to be, how did they get to this point, this could include dates and years or not. If it does, please refer to our accepted timeline.)

PERSONALITY: (self-evident)

CHARACTER FLAWS: (What is wrong with your character? As a human, as a hero, as a lover. Depending, what kind of ‘problems’ does your character have?)

EXTENDED NOTES: (Anything else we should know?)

[float=right][center][img height=370]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/69/f4/7269f4d3626a7c572ed43783ff3656c1.jpg[/img][/center]
[img height=100]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/69/f4/7269f4d3626a7c572ed43783ff3656c1.jpg[/img][img height=100]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/69/f4/7269f4d3626a7c572ed43783ff3656c1.jpg[/img][img height=100]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/69/f4/7269f4d3626a7c572ed43783ff3656c1.jpg[/img][img height=100]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/69/f4/7269f4d3626a7c572ed43783ff3656c1.jpg[/img][/float]
[b][u]BASIC INFO:[/u][/b]
[b]Legal Name:[/b]
[b]Codename/Nickname/Aliases:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]

[hr]
[b][u]ADDITIONAL INFO:[/u][/b]
[b]Residence, neighborhood/type of home:[/b] (be as descriptive as you want)
[b]Education (scholastic):[/b] (be succinct if possible, describe more in depthly in ‘Skills’ below if applicable)
[b]Training (martial arts and otherwise):[/b] (be succinct if possible, describe more in depthly in ‘Skills’ below if applicable)
[b]Wealth Level:[/b] (An exact number is not required, a scale of one to ten works, one is dirt poor, ten is bruce wayne)
[b]Place of Birth:[/b] (self-evident)
[b]Ethnicity:[/b] (self-evident)
[b]Citizenship and other legal info:[/b] (self-evident)

[hr]
[b][u]OTHER INFORMATION:[/u][/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]
[b]Ons/Offs:[/b]

[hr]
[b][u]PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:[/u][/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Hair color:[/b]
[b]Eye color:[/b]
[b]General Appearance:[/b]
[b]Faceclaim:[/b]

[u][b]ABILITIES/EQUIPMENT/OTHER:[/b][/u]

[u][b]SKILLS:[/u] (Please list some things your character is good at, or at least has been trained and is competent at. This includes things like a fighting style, computers, repair, stunt driving, history knowledge, etc. There’s no limit to how many you can list, but these will be scrutinized base on history and background.)
[i]Skill Name[/i] - Description here

[u][b]ADVANTAGES:[/b][/u] (Please list 1 to 5 non-skill based advantages your character may have. This may include things like a sharp sense of smell, being a light sleeper, quick reflexes, etc.)
[i]Advantage Name[/i] - Description here

[u][b]EQUIPMENT:[/u] (One of the most important things in the entire game. What kind of equipment does this character use to fight crime. This might include special gadgets that only your character has obtained, or it might be something as simple as a lock-pick set, or a ball of twine. )
[i]Piece of Equipment[/i] - How it is used

[b][u]HISTORY:[/u][/b] (How did your character come to be, how did they get to this point, this could include dates and years or not. If it does, please refer to our accepted timeline.)

[b][u]PERSONALITY: [/u][/b] (self-evident)

[b][u]CHARACTER FLAWS: [/u][/b] (What is wrong with your character? As a human, as a hero, as a lover. Depending, what kind of ‘problems’ does your character have?)

[b][u]EXTENDED NOTES: [/u][/b] (Anything else we should know?)

Alias

Suggested Character List...

And we come to the last part of our housecleaning introduction. This final section is a character reference, for those that are already taken, for those that are available, and for those that are pretty strictly, no exception, forbidden. Each group has its own spoiler below.

Accepted Characters
Approved Characters Vault

GM Characters...

Richard ‘Dick’ Grayson aka Nightwing
Jason Todd aka Red Hood
Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl
Julia Pennyworth aka Penny-Two
Ling Xiu aka Lynx

Player Characters...
Selina Kyle aka Catwoman
Harper Row aka Bluebird
Jean-Paul Valley Jr aka Azrael
Katherine Kane aka Batwoman
Benjamin Turner aka Bronze Tiger
Felicia Foxworth aka Red Vixen (OC)
Timothy Drake aka Red Robin
Harleen Quinzel aka Harley Quinn
Bette Kane aka Flamebird

So, we really want to emphasize, there aren’t the only possible characters. This is just a really small list of possible characters we think could fit. If you have a different idea, please, let us know :)

Male Heroes

BlackStone

I recall this game in the past, and at the time I had put in a character whose concept was not approved.  Given the opening of this thread, I wanted to ask if the concept might be considered before I do go through the time and effort to fill out the application. 

The concept was a for a Male version of the Huntress, but his back ground was an offspring of Ra's Al Ghul who broke away from his father, and the death of the Batman draws him to Gotham.  If the concept meets at least an "intrigued and interested" reception, then I will put in the full blown character.  If not, no worries, and I do thank you for your time and consideration.

Blackstone

Alias

Quote from: BlackStone on January 28, 2017, 04:15:14 AM
I recall this game in the past, and at the time I had put in a character whose concept was not approved.  Given the opening of this thread, I wanted to ask if the concept might be considered before I do go through the time and effort to fill out the application. 

The concept was a for a Male version of the Huntress, but his back ground was an offspring of Ra's Al Ghul who broke away from his father, and the death of the Batman draws him to Gotham.  If the concept meets at least an "intrigued and interested" reception, then I will put in the full blown character.  If not, no worries, and I do thank you for your time and consideration.

Blackstone

In short, yes!

Although, one little thing: we still remember the sheet very well, and it would be best from our point of view if he was turned into an OC, mostly so that the canon huntress is still available for other players. This character represents something different enough in our eyes to have his own identity. If you don't see things the same way, there might be a disagreement. As long as you're willing to take the male huntress part off, we like it more that way.

:)

BlackStone

No issue there.  I can find another name for him and turn him into an OC.

VonDoom

Heya!

Since this game s open to villains now, I have an old write-up for a failed Suicide Squad game still lying around, gathering virtual dust. Do you guys think that the game might be a viable podium to showcase the terrifying tunes of ... the Fiddler?

I know he's a Flash villain and I'd have to tune tone down the sort of insane mind control equipment he made to actually challenge the Scarlet Speedster, but he could be quite a frightening foe to Gothamites and certainly wouldn't look out of place in a nice cell in Arkham. Or maybe Blackgate, since he's not insane. Well, technically.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Doomsday

Quote from: VonDoom on February 01, 2017, 03:46:18 PM
Heya!

Since this game s open to villains now, I have an old write-up for a failed Suicide Squad game still lying around, gathering virtual dust. Do you guys think that the game might be a viable podium to showcase the terrifying tunes of ... the Fiddler?

I know he's a Flash villain and I'd have to tune tone down the sort of insane mind control equipment he made to actually challenge the Scarlet Speedster, but he could be quite a frightening foe to Gothamites and certainly wouldn't look out of place in a nice cell in Arkham. Or maybe Blackgate, since he's not insane. Well, technically.

Oh man. I have never heard of this guy before, he sounds like SUCH a golden age villain. Very curious to see how he gets used. Absolutely write a sheet up! Just remember to PM it to us GM's first :-)

JamesSureWould

Heya!

hot damn, the Fiddler? Please feel free to make a character sheet!

I'm a real fan of old and obscure characters, and The Fiddler seems to fit that to a T :)

And yeah, he would fit very well in Gotham.

Alias

Heya!

and I'll throw something in to, it sounds like you already have a sheet built, so do reformat it to fit our game if you could. :)

Latooni Subota

*Friendly wave!*

Gotham has no shortage of street rats and 'kid' gangs running around, trying to survive that endless war between the mob, metahumans, cops, and the Bat Family. Nicolette Bellamont was one of these kids, and not a particularly successful one. Life was always super terrible being a poor kid hanging out with other poor kids in Gotham, and it got even worse thanks to a particularly rough fight between the aforementioned forces. The gang she was a part of was unfortunate enough to be hiding out in a warehouse that became collateral damage and absolutely flooded with one of the Joker's many experimental versions of Joker Venom. According to the police reports, there were no survivors. Nicolette, however, DID survive due to her latent metahuman abilities . . sort-of. Turns out that Nicolette was 'lucky' enough to have a healing factor, pretty much the only reason she survived those long Gotham winters and scuffles with other gangs, though the effects were never quite obvious enough for her to realize this until later in life. Her metahuman physiology managed to fight off the Joker Venom's lethal aspects, but left her permanently marked. Skin that has lost most of it's pigment, bright green hair, ruby red lips, and a permanent (and wholly disconcerting) smile that takes genuine willpower to suppress long enough to take a few bites of food. That's nothing to say of the psychological effects, lending to wild mood wings and psychotic behavior.

In the years since her exposure Nicolette has actually managed to attain a level of stability, her healing factor and utter hatred of being anything like the man who (even accidently) did this to her helping her out. By 2016 she's actually managed to gather together a group of orphans to be her own gang, The 8th Street Sneaks, since she figures they have a better chance at surviving with her than anyone else. She teaches the youngest to use their cuteness and pity to grift adults in the better parts of town by day, and the older kids to steal what they need to survive, while she takes on the role of enforcer on the front lines to keep her brats safe. She uses all manner of forms of meditation and self-help techniques learned from tv and library books to stay stable, only letting out that Joker-esque insanity when things get violent, though a good joke puts her into an uncontrollable laughing fit (How embarrassing!). Heaven help her if you call her the Joker's daughter based on her looks and laughter . . .

Definately Not The Joker's Kid

So yeah! That's a thing. I always find the youngsters and common gangs tend to be under-represented, so Nico here is taking care of that, straddling the line between hero and villain. She's got good reasons, but bad methods, and a bit of crazy she keeps under lock and key. She's not a trained fighter, but years of living on the streets taught her how to survive, and a partially-working healing factor tends to keep her in one piece.

T . . thoughts  . .? Am I terrible? D:
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

JamesSureWould

*waves back!*

Hey there! We really like this idea and we'd love to see it extended into a full character sheet :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Latooni Subota

It's gotten late, so I'll have to get the sheet up tomorrow after work. I hope y'all like all the fiddly bits!

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Latooni Subota

Well, how's this for a first draft?

BASIC INFO:
Legal Name: Nicolette Bellamont
Codename/Nickname/Aliases: Big Sis Nico, Smiles, Little Green, The Joker's Daughter (In order of increasing hate)

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Residence, neighborhood/type of home: 8th Street Sneaks Hideout. 8th Street is yet another incredibly poor area near Crime Alley, nominally under control of Nico's gang. There are a number of abandoned and partially inhabited apartment buildings used as lookout points for the gang. The gang's main hideout is in the 'basement' of one of these buildings. There is a hidden hole that leads into the Gotham sewer system, and from there an old and oddly comfortable hideout of Killer Croc's. Long abandoned, Nico and her kids cleaned up the basement of the building and the bolt-hole and keep it well defended, and full of all the creature comforts they could steal.
Education (scholastic): Nico doesn't have an education on paper, other than a short stint in Gotham Academy for the duration of 1st Grade. Thankfully she was naturally bright, and smart enough to realize she'd need to continue her education after entering the gang life, spending time in the library or reading discarded books. There are definate gaps in her education but she gets by, and has a bit of a gift for picking things up fast.
Training (martial arts and otherwise): While her education is lacking, she's mastered the street arts. Everything from breaking and entering, to making the perfect shank, to delivering said shank to someone's kidney. She's one hell of a thief, and while she'll never out-fight the batman she's a fair match for just about any ganger on the mean streets of Gotham.
Wealth Level: 1~3 (Depending on how well heists go during the week)
Place of Birth: Gotham City
Ethnicity: French-American, with a splash of Chinese a few steps back.
Citizenship and other legal info: American

OTHER INFORMATION:
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Ons/Offs: Nico generally leans submissive/passive, and sexually is adventurous. She does NOT enjoy violence beyond play-violence, blood, scat, bestiality, and generally illegal kinks. She'll outright stab someone at the mention of the word pedophilia. She's not a fan of kissing, since . . well . . she's incredibly self-conscious about her smile.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 90 lbs
Hair color: Green
Eye color: Slate Gray
General Appearance: While Nico is cute, there's some glaring issues with her physically. She's quite short at a mere 5'0", and has a skinny frame thanks to many a day undereating so her kids can have a bigger share. Her skin is paper-white, and she has slim hips and a pair of small breasts. All of this is light muscle, a body built for short burst of movement and a lot of flexibility rather than extended feats of strength. Her hair is a bright, almost cartoony green color and reaches down to the small of her back, though she generally keeps it pulled up into pigtails. There's a faint asian cast to her slate-gray eyes, very expressive eyes at that considering her near-constant surgical masks. She wears these because she doesn't like people staring at her ruby-red lips and almost painful-looking permanent smile. Light most street toughs she has a few ear piercings, and a tattoo on her upper left arm of a stylized 8 with a black cat skulking around it. Her wardrobe consists almost entirely of bulky hoodies that definately aren't the right size for her and scavenged jeans and sweatpants. She'd love to have fitted clothes one day, but . . it's just not on the menu for her.
Faceclaim: (No idea, yet)

ABILITIES/EQUIPMENT/OTHER:

SKILLS:
Patchwork General Education - Just enough to get by. She primarily knows things that can be learned from high school textbooks, with an emphasis on things that have a use in real life. Math? Definately useful. Chemistry? INCREDIBLY useful with all these weird drugs around. History? She doesn't even know 20 presidents . . .
Survival Skills - Boy scouts know the best tricks. Years on the street taught her what things to eat and what not to eat, how to find warm and dry places, how to start a fire, how to trap rats and dogs, and how to hide. There's few people who can survive Gotham's underbelly as well as Nico can.
Lockpicking - She's like a human skeleton key! Short of an electronic lock, nothing can keep her out.
Parkour - Economy of movement. Over a decade of running from bigger and badder threats in Gotham taught her how to get around with minimal expenditure of energy. She practically throws herself up steep walls, across rooftop gaps, and into the tiniest of holes with the greatest of ease.
Street Fighting - Rule 1: Cheat! She's no karate master, but she knows how to bluff a man into letting her get that knife into his side. Loose bricks, broken bottles, and thrown knives are her speciality. If it's a dirty trick, she knows how to take advantage of it.
General Repairs - She can't possibly fix a broken cellphone, but she's quite skilled in simple mechanics and fixing up damaged clothes and mundane goods. Years of practice.
Throwing - Guns are for sissies. Nico is oddly gifted when it comes to throwing things about. She can juggle a handful of knives without cutting herself, and bullseye a man peeking out a window the next building over.
Sleight of Hand - Now you see it, now you don't, especially your wallet! A necessary skill learned by Nico and taught to ALL of her kids. Also useful for misdirection and sneak attacks.
Stealth - To complete the ninja skillset! Growing up on the streets as a kid, let alone a girl, being able to hide and move silently was incredibly important. Probably the most important skill she had to learn, in fact. You can't always rely on friends after all, and when somebody bigger and badder than you shows up, sometimes you just gotta find a hole and crawl inside it.

ADVANTAGES:
Healing Factor - Nico's metahuman ability closes up cuts, patches bullet wounds, and kicks up blood production when she's lost too much. Not much good against concussions and limb locks, but it's kept her alive so far. Coincidentally, this combined with the odd side-effects of the Joker Venom have made her immune to everything from cyanide to alchohol, though she sometimes experiences slight effects before throwing those off. It's really weird.
Quick Learner - If it's a physical skill, Nico can pick it up in no-time flat, and act like she's been doing it all her life. She might not retain the skill without constant practice, but it's been a big help.
Contortionist - Bendy like Plasticman! . . Not quite. Still, she can bend herself all sorts of useful ways, making it easy to slip out of tight situations.
The Eye of the Storm - Nico has spent the better part of a decade studying self-help books, the teachings of various gurus, and meditation in order to master herself. This mastery of herself lets her ignore the pain from bullet wounds and an empty stomach, pay attention long past the point of boredom, and keep a tight leash on her emotions. At this point she can pretty much walk across hot coals with a jaunty wave . . .

EQUIPMENT:
Lockpicks - Picking locks!
So many knives - Never less than five knives of various styles, though generally all small and easily hidden.
Extra Layers - It's not arctic survival gear, but she's got enough extra clothes to keep herself AND the kids warm year-round.
Glass-Cutter - A girl's best friend for getting into windows. Comes with a suction cup!
A Whole Case of Tools! - She might have stolen a 300-piece Craftsman toolset out of the back of a Sears truck once. She has to leave it in the base, but when she knows she needs to do some heavy-duty repairwork or breaking in, she has them.
Mace - The spray, not what Hawkgirl swings around. A handy personal defense tool and easily pickpocketed off of pretty much any woman in Gotham.

HISTORY:
Nicolette Bellamont was born in 1998 on Christmas Day, a wonderful present to wealthy socialites Virginie and Edward Bellamont. The pair had moved to Gotham City (Being kicked out of the family for THAT choice) from France the year before, dedicating their lives to doing good and setting up charities and emergency services like so many other ill-advised nice guys. Really is a shame they chose to do this during the great supervillain boom of the late nineties/early new millenium. To be fair, the pair did a pretty decent job. They were successful enough to get more medicine flowing to poorer neighborhoods at least. They even had enough money to get their clever girl to attend Gotham Academy! At least until the pair were killed by the Marconi family due to their refusal to be bought and used to funnel more . . interesting chemicals for the mob.

The very same year Jason Todd had a nightmare of an encounter with the Joker in Ethiopia, Nicolette found herself homeless on the streets of Gotham City. No family to speak of (Not that they'd want to anyways), family's assets taken by the mob, kicked out of Gotham Academy for not being able to pay tuition . . She tried the orphanages at first, but found the level of corruption and worrisome behavior from the adults enough to take her chances on the street, eventually finding a home with a series of small gangs. The Slashers, The Lost Boyz, The Outsiders . . she spent time with most of them learning from their best thugs and pickpockets and making a name for herself as an oddly tough girl as she learned how to fight and steal. More than once a rival gang member had taken her down with a knife, only to find himself on the ground after Nico somehow managed to get up and bring the pain with a bottle or brick. It wasn't a comfortable life by any means, Nico growing used to near-constant hunger and pain, but it was HER life.

Showing a good bit of foresight she'd use stolen clothes washed in alleys to clean up enough to get time in one of Gotham's public libraries, practically devouring the books they had in stock. She was always a person that learned by doing rather than reading, but it was enough to sort-of keep up with her education, and it gave her great ideas to help her friends. You'd be amazed what sorts of traps and defenses how-to manuals could teach you! By the time she was rolling with the Outsiders everything was going pretty damn good. In 2011 though her gang was a victim of collateral damage during one of the Joker's terrorist attacks, their warehouse flooded with his latest experimental batch of Joker Venom. It was a pretty quick investigation by the cops, writing off the dead teenagers with minimal effort since nobody tended to survive Joker Venom without immediate medical help or The Batman. It's understandable then that they'd not noticed that a prominent member of that gang wasn't found with the bodies.

Nicolette had managed to crawl herself down into the sewers, drifing in and out of fits of laughter and spasms, surviving the lethal amount of Joker Venom thanks to her metahuman Healing Factor. Her continued survival was not without cost though. Her formerly raven-black hair was the kind of bright green you'd see in the comics or cartoons. While not dark, she'd at least had a healthy tan before, now her skin was paper-white. The most jarring change though was her ruby-red lips and semi-permanent smile. It would be months before she could gain any measure of control of herself, now appearing amongst the public in heavier clothes and an ever-present medical mask. It was early 2012 when she'd managed to learn enough self-help exercises and meditation that should could (For the most part) interact with people in a stable manner. She really didn't know what she was going to do though, until the tales of the Gotham City Sirens began to spread across the Gotham underworld. Criminals for sure, but they were doing good things too. It gave her ideas . . .

Nobody really tended to look out for the really young kids, trapped in orphanages or dying in the gutters. If it weren't for her Healing Factor she'd probably never have survived the streets, let alone the Joker Venom. Rolling with her bit of inspiration she first reached out to some of the kids she'd known before her change, managing to get them on her side first. It took some doing, but eventually it worked. With less-scary-looking people on her side she then began a campaign of 'rescuing' the youngest street urchins from other gangs, eventually carving out a small piece of the city along 8th Street for herself, proclaiming that her gang would be called the 8th Street Sneaks. The kids were well taken care of compared to their earlier situations, with an emphasis on teaching everyone the art of stealth and sleight of hand. The cutest, cleanest kids were able to scam people by the day time, while the sneakiest and toughest kids did quiet robberies by night. By late 2016 the Sneaks were well dug-in to their territory, and while not a major player, they were big enough to not be worth the effort to get rid of by the larger groups in the city, only really having to deal with smaller gangs and individual thugs.

Nicolette herself has become more than just rumor of a girl that looks like the Joker in the last few months. Reports of a girl with Joker traits, a face mask, and a big hoodie with a smiley face icon on the back lead to the Gotham underworld dubbing her Smiles . . something she's not appreciative of. Still, if the infamy meant less people trying to hurt her kids, she'd take what she could get. While she's no mastermind on the order of the Penguin or the old mob bosses, she's doing quite well for herself. You'd be surprised the kind of information network that can be built up with the help of street rats and thugs . . .

The events of the last year have left Nico rather torn. The Joker's death especially has given her a good bout of psychotic dancing and celebrating, and lapses of depression. On the one hand the monster that made her the way she is has passed away, and can't hurt her or her kids anymore. On the other hand, it wasn't her that ended the monster's life. Even more importantly, he was the one that created her strain of Joker Venom, meaning that the person who knew the most about it was now gone and unable to be . .  'convinced' to help make a cure. The Batman on the other hand was a rather important stablizing factor for Gotham. His mere name was enough to keep certain people and groups either focused on him, or out of Gotham entirely. With him gone the other gangs have slowly become more uppity and bold, and more villains have begun to move into the city and bring with them collateral damage. The Bat-Family might be powerful, but the original Bat's reputation was a weapon above all others, and one the little thief actually missed.

PERSONALITY: Nicolette is a bright, driven young woman absolutely chock full of ambition. Honestly, her sheer drive and willpower puts her pretty high up the list for inheriting a green lantern ring one of these days! While she likes to make the 'moral' choice when she can, she definately lives by the idea that good people can do bad things for good reasons. She'd prefer it if people would leave her kids alone, but she understands that a knife and a gun are necessary when people are out to hurt you. When she's around her kids she's surprisingly warm and light, always willing to patch torn clothes or divvy out extra food or medicine when one of them is sick. When called to lead she puts on a serious mien, trying very hard to be the badass big sister everyone expects her to be. The truth is though, she never quite grew out of some of her child-like personality aspects. Her self-esteem is dangerously low, she has a poor body-image, and desperate need for making more connections to give her some semblance of self-worth. Her occasional psychotic breakdowns have convinced her that she's a monster, and she's slowly trying to crawl her way out of that deep pit of negative emotion.

CHARACTER FLAWS:
Joker's (Not)Daughter - Her exposure to Joker Venom has left her with the very obvious Joker-like features that Gotham knows and fears. Her kids have had time to get used to it, but most people tend to react very poorly to seeing that pale skin, green hair, and terrible smile.
The Storm (Of Emotions) - While Nico uses every trick in the book to keep her emotions under control, they're still there boiling under the surface. Good jokes and puns send her into uncontrollable laughing fits. Things that truly get to her core and push her past the point of merely being upset can send her into a psychotic rage. She tries to her best to be a 'decent' person (for a gang leader) and control herself, but everyone has her breaking point . . and once she hits that point all bets are off. Both of these things lead to . . .
What Self-Esteem? - It's really hard to be proud of yourself when every time you look into the mirror you see a freak. When every time you get introspective you realize that there's a monster hiding in your brain, ready to lash out at everyone. While she has put herself in the role of a leader out of necessity, her lack of self-esteem holds her back and gives her a more submissive mindset. At this point she just tends to do what books tell her are the right things to do, and emulates people she's seen over the years, to act like a leader and hide her discomfort with being center-stage.

EXTENDED NOTES: (Anything else we should know?)

JamesSureWould

That looks like a very good sheet! The other gms and I will have to discuss once we've all had a chance to read it, but I enjoyed it :)

Latooni Subota

JamesSureWould

Hey there, we love the sheet! It's a really cool concept.

Just a few things we would want to see fixed up before you're ready to go.

• She only has 1 piece of character art, which is fine, but she has the placeholder images still in the sheet.
  • She does need to be aged up to 18.
  • Her bio needs some kind of mention of how she was affected by Endgame, Joker and Batman's death, etc.

Latooni Subota

Woo!

1) Yeah, I left the placeholders in just in case I come up with more art and/or an IRL faceclaim . . which has been a bit difficult considering my concept! If you prefer I take them out and stick with the one image for now, to keep the sheet clean and pretty?

2) AND WITH A WAVE OF MY HAND I casually edit her to 18, since apparently I am amazing at missing the proper keys on my keyboard. Or possibly doing basic math.

3) Done and done! Thoughts are given!

JamesSureWould

Quote from: Latooni Subota on February 09, 2017, 06:42:44 PM
Woo!

1) Yeah, I left the placeholders in just in case I come up with more art and/or an IRL faceclaim . . which has been a bit difficult considering my concept! If you prefer I take them out and stick with the one image for now, to keep the sheet clean and pretty?

2) AND WITH A WAVE OF MY HAND I casually edit her to 18, since apparently I am amazing at missing the proper keys on my keyboard. Or possibly doing basic math.

3) Done and done! Thoughts are given!

And with that, you are good to go!

The new and improved OOC thread is here and you can post the character sheet here

DrMcQuark

This sounds like a great game setting, but my guess is that the game is defunct. I would LOVE to be wrong.

Doomsday

Quote from: DrMcQuark on December 09, 2018, 11:59:30 AM
This sounds like a great game setting, but my guess is that the game is defunct. I would LOVE to be wrong.

Unfortunately, it's quite defunct :(

Alias

chiming in, yuhp. We had a good run. Thanks for the interest though, no matter how late it may be. :D

DrMcQuark

Thanks for getting back to me. Sad to hear, but I know how that goes.