Lucas changes Star Wars..again.

Started by Wolfy, September 03, 2011, 11:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Quote from: Slaven on September 04, 2011, 04:24:27 PM
Actually, one of the oldest rules in sales ever is "The customer is always right." So, if he wants to keep up his sales, the customer is always right..
As anyone in the service industry will tell you, that's something no one believes or even enforces.  As Indiku says, it's there to make you, the customer, feel better about the purchase.

The only thing you can do is, not buy the product.

I love Star Wars, but the changes, not so much.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Slaven

Quote from: Inkidu on September 04, 2011, 04:29:54 PM
That's what the salespeople tell you to get you to buy things. "The real adage is more like Make the customer think they're right." I still think the majority of people are going to buy it.

Actually, knowing what a damnably shrewd business man Lucas is this will be his strategy:

Slowly over various releases change small things to see what fans like and don't.
Do this over several years and then release the remastered but unchanged "classic" edition for ruinous amounts of money.

Despite what his fans think Lucas is not stupid. Not by a long shot.

My only point was, you said fans shouldn't complain..Customers always have the right to complain. :)
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Will

Red Letter Media's reviews of the prequels pretty much sum up my feelings on those movies, as well as the changes made to the originals in the re-releases.

Here's the review for Phantom Menace.  It's pretty long, but also entertaining in its own right.  Lots of good points.  I think my favorite is when people were asked to describe Amidala's character without mentioning what she looked like, what her profession was, or her role in the movie.  Tough question.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Slaven

Actually, Will, that's perfect for me as well.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Sel Nar

SaveStarWars.com has found a brilliant ally in the crusade to stop George Lucas from monkeying with the Star Wars movies: George Lucas, himself. http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html

Notable quotes include the following.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society."
** He's the copyright holder, they're his movies, but I'd have a hard time believing that "profit" and "an exercise of power" are alien concepts to LucasFilm.

"Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control."
** This is from the guy who can't seem to find the original negatives of Episode IV and who replaced Sebastian Shaw's Jedi-ghost with Hayden Christensen's.

"In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."
** I'll be right back; I have to go buy the unaltered original trilogy from Best Buy.

"The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests."

** Who shot who first?

"And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work."

** George, your adopted kids' cybernetic great-grandchildren will somehow still have a death grip on this franchise, we all know it.

(Shamelessly 'borrowed' from Aaron Williams' blog)

Sabby

I'm not caffienated enough to read all of this, but... couldn't they just release unedited but remastered editions of the movies right next to the new ones with the silly pointless CGI alien strippers? I mean... maybe I lack the fire in my chest that is fanboyism, but that just seems like a no brainer solution. No one will buy the shitty edits if the old stuff is on the same rack for half the price.

Oniya

It's not even that the old ones are available for half-price.  They aren't available at all, unless you find them in a garage sale or eBay.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Thats so stupid. He knows people generally don't mesh with his 'creative additions', he must realize that the market for remastered original releases is somewhere along the value of crude oil in golden barrels with a doggy bag of cocaine.

Brandon

Quote from: Oniya on September 05, 2011, 11:04:04 AM
It's not even that the old ones are available for half-price.  They aren't available at all, unless you find them in a garage sale or eBay.

or torrent...just saying
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

I think you'll only see the originals if you find them moved to DVD by hard core fans or.. a new version given out after George moves off this mortal coil. I'm sure the original negatives are hidden DEEP in a vault at Skywalker Ranch and only after George has moved on will someone else find it.

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Inkidu on September 04, 2011, 04:29:54 PM
That's what the salespeople tell you to get you to buy things. "The real adage is more like Make the customer think they're right." I still think the majority of people are going to buy it.

Actually, knowing what a damnably shrewd business man Lucas is this will be his strategy:

Slowly over various releases change small things to see what fans like and don't.
Do this over several years and then release the remastered but unchanged "classic" edition for ruinous amounts of money.

Despite what his fans think Lucas is not stupid. Not by a long shot.

my god, its the coca cola ''classic'' fiasco all over again.

Inkidu

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on September 05, 2011, 11:41:44 PM
my god, its the coca cola ''classic'' fiasco all over again.
I don't think you're supposed to use fiasco in a situation where Coke-a-Cola made tons of money, but yeah, that's pretty much it. I'm waiting for that to happen.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.