The Maiden Voyage of RMS Mystic (CLOSED for Recruiting)

Started by Zillah, March 03, 2013, 11:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryven

Quote from: Chreestafer on March 05, 2013, 10:16:24 PM
********* EDIT********

added photos :)

Name: Clyde Bishop, Bishop as a nickname

Position: Crew Member (loading and unloading of supplies / Ship hand)

Sexual Preferences: Bi-curious, Leans towards females but has had thoughts

Personality: He is very shift of authority figures but otherwise he is easy going and self sustaining.  Has a slight interest in the unknown and wears a golden cross around his neck as a protection to the evils of the world.

Background: His birth is unknown as he was an orphan boy.  He grew up in the streets doing what he could to survive and make his life better.   He was a trouble maker at a young age starting fights, stealing things, always running into the law in bad ways.  Yet he was lucky in the aspect that he always had the church ran orphanage to run back to.  (The church would explain his beliefs and fears in supernatural things) The sisters of the orphanage taught him subtle life lessons making him a deeper more spiritual person, which would later, as he grew up, make him a more rounded citizen and human being.

All was OK until the orphanage fire.

When people died the police needed a cause, a scapegoat,  and he was it.  Since his troubled past as a youngster it would be easy to pin the fire on him as a accidental murder.  So to evade the police he ran and ran and ran,  2 months later he found himself working the shipyards loading supply at point a and unloading at point b and so forth.  (Reasoning for being on ship)

alternate images

My character wants to do unspeakable things to him.  Just so you know...

Alysanthia

Quote from: Ryven on March 05, 2013, 10:19:44 PM
My character wants to do unspeakable things to him.  Just so you know...

*Would totally watch those unspeakable things.*

::)

Miva

Quote from: Zillah on March 05, 2013, 09:18:29 AM
Bellinda's a great character, Miva. Approved!

~does the happily approved dance~
thank you !

the rest of the character look absolutely awesome ... I can't wait for this to start!
~starts counting days ...~

Haibane

Quote from: Chreestafer on March 05, 2013, 09:12:54 PM
So what keywords should I use to find a good photo?
You should definitely use "1920s" as one of the words. What was regarded as handsome and dashing (or scummy) looked a lot different in the 20s to what is thought "good looking" today. A cigarette held casually in the fingers or lips was guaranteed to help a sexy or worldly image, as did slicked back hair and often a small moustache for men. Outside of the navy or merchant marine, beards were out of fashion in the 20s as was the unshaven look popular today. Moustaches were in. Also try searching for "1920s movie stars" or "1920s actors/actresses" or "silent movie star". Once you find one you think has potential, narrow it down to searching for them by name.

While we have some awesome characters lining up for this game, many would be even better if they used period faces and photos rather than modern ones.

Think Johnny Weismuller, Humphrey Bogart, Al Capone, Rudolf Valentino, Boris Karloff, the young Howard Hughes and such faces.

I use Google images for all my searches.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1920s+movie+stars&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Orq&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fQQ3UYuXL8asPO-zgagO&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1224&bih=859

and

http://www.listal.com/actors/1920s

If you'd rather use a colour image, try searching for "1920s period costume drama" or "interwar period costume drama" under Google images. The BBC churns these out with regularity and they are chock full of great faces.

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on March 05, 2013, 08:48:25 PM
Put my image in a spoiler.  >_>  Because I'm too lazy to resize my image :d
You can quickly make it smaller by adding the "height" tag around it:

[img height=250]url of your image here[/img]

This effectively turns it into a clickable thumbnail of whatever size you need.

Hope this is of help!

Branwen

If you want haaaaaawt pre-period man, google Oscar Wilde.  Clicky to embiggen.

VonDoom

I'm fairly comfortable with my choice of picture, though I suppose I could supply some alternates. I thought it a bit too obvious to use pictures from the Arsène Lupin movie for the thief and conman. Whereas just using the same actor might qualify as clever. Maybe.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Zillah

Quote from: Chreestafer on March 05, 2013, 06:37:33 PM

Name: Clyde Bishop, Bishop as a nickname

Position: Crew Member (loading and unloading of supplies / Ship hand)

Sexual Preferences: Bi-curious, Leans towards females but has had thoughts

Personality: He is very shift of authority figures but otherwise he is easy going and self sustaining.  Has a slight interest in the unknown and wears a golden cross around his neck as a protection to the evils of the world.

Background: His birth is unknown as he was an orphan boy.  He grew up in the streets doing what he could to survive and make his life better.   He was a trouble maker at a young age starting fights, stealing things, always running into the law in bad ways.  Yet he was lucky in the aspect that he always had the church ran orphanage to run back to.  (The church would explain his beliefs and fears in supernatural things) The sisters of the orphanage taught him subtle life lessons making him a deeper more spiritual person, which would later, as he grew up, make him a more rounded citizen and human being.

All was OK until the orphanage fire.

When people died the police needed a cause, a scapegoat,  and he was it.  Since his troubled past as a youngster it would be easy to pin the fire on him as a accidental murder.  So to evade the police he ran and ran and ran,  2 months later he found himself working the shipyards loading supply at point a and unloading at point b and so forth.  (Reasoning for being on ship)

alternate images

Hi Chreestafer,

This is a promising start. In addition to all the other excellent suggestions provided, I would try going to Wikipedia and searching for "silent film actors". This should give you a baseline for period-appropriate possibilities to use as a model for your character.

One suggestion for a change - in your character bio, you have him listed as a loader, which makes him sound more like a dock hand bringing stuff on board many ships, rather than a crew member of the Mystic. Ships wouldn't have dedicated cargo loaders ... they wouldn't have much to do while the ship was at sea! ::)

It might be better if he were a trimmer (responsible for engine coal), assistant pantry steward (responsible for food supplies), or steward (responsible for luggage), and assisting with the appropriate items being brought aboard depending on the role you select.

Amor

Name: The Hon. Artemis fforbes-Hamilton
Position: First Class Passenger (with nobs on)
Sexual Preferences: Submissive, straight
Appearance: A little taller than average for most women of her time and class, Artemis (Arty to her family) has fair hair, blue eyes and the porcelain skin that's characteristic of fforbes-Hamilton women. Her body is slight, but not entirely without shape - the family has survived countless generations thanks to suitably childbearing hips.
Personality: A quiet girl, unaware of her own beauty. She is more suited to the kinds of mindless activities that polite society foists upon a child raised in isolation... she can play patience and bridge, she can work needlepoint and recite obscure poems. She is aware of her social position and has been raised to believe she is somehow fundamentally different from people of the lower classes. Her new found freedom on board the ship reveals a reckless streak, a desire to live life to the full and attempt to shrug off her fearful nature.
Background: Has lived with her mother and grandmother at Grantleigh Manor in the English countryside all her life, every move monitored by a nanny or the tyrannical eye of her relatives. She's been very sheltered and protected, her only real access to the outside world has been newspapers (little more than propaganda) and servants' gossip. Her grandmother caught a severe chill days before their departure and it was decided, against her grandmother's wishes, that Artemis should make the trip alone. She is traveling to visit her father who lives in the States as a diplomat. With a new sense of freedom, she sets off on the open sea.
Click here for my O/O list & current games.
"The things that make us happy make us wise." John Crowley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpEesx_KyjM

Zillah

Quote from: Branwen on March 05, 2013, 08:16:20 PM
Zillah,

Would something like this help organize things for you and everyone else?  Or is it not necessary or not useful?

PlayerCharacterPortraitStatusRoleSexual Preference
ZillahGareth SinclairCrewCaptain, RMS Mystic  Straight
ZillahMaggie DelaneyFirst Class Passenger  Magician's AssistantBisexual, submissive
EbbClifford ThomsonFirst Class PassengerFBI AgentStraight
xSnorkleRainbow  Catherine Evelyn Porter  First Class PassengerActressBisexual, preference for men, submissive / switch 

Yes! This would br extremely helpful, Branwen - thank you so much for putting this together!

I've been compiling a similar database for my own use offline (sans pictures), but as mentioned elsewhere, I think it'd be beneficial to have a quick "scorecard" of sorts available to everyone involved in this RP.

Zillah

Also, two quick notes on pictures/character models:

1. No one has to resize their pictures in this thread, though I would highly appreciate it if you did. However, when the RP goes live, I will be setting some guidelines for posting pictures in the game threads, and I will simply ask that all participants abide by those guidelines.

2. I never initially specified that period-specific images be used for characters, so they aren't mandatory. However, I do firmly believe that having characters "look" appropriate for the timeframe of the game does add something extra for the RP. No one has to change the images they've selected for their characters if they've already been approved, nor should they feel compelled to do so ... but if anyone should so desire to change their selected image to something specific to the 1920s, I wouldn't object. ::)

CarnivorousBunny

I actually tried to find an image of the Michelle with short hair, but long hair really does suit her best :/
That's why I opted for the picture with pinstripes, in hopes that it would look waiter-ey  ::)

Of course, that totally backfired cuz all you see are boobs in that picture.
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Branwen

Quote from: Zillah on March 06, 2013, 06:06:44 AM
Yes! This would br extremely helpful, Branwyn - thank you so much for putting this together!

I've been compiling a similar database for my own use offline (sans pictures), but as mentioned elsewhere, I think it'd be beneficial to have a quick "scorecard" of sorts available to everyone involved in this RP.

I will finish it up tonight then. Thank you for saying it will help. 

Zillah

Quote from: Branwen on March 06, 2013, 07:11:03 AM
I will finish it up tonight then. Thank you for saying it will help.

That'd be terrific, Branwen. Appreciate the assistance!

Zillah

Quote from: Nim on March 05, 2013, 04:50:58 PM
Hello Zillah,

I am very interested in playing in this very interesting concept of yours.  I still have some collaborating to do with my in game writing partner (Secretwriter) as far as plotting goes. So there may be more added to the Bio at some point. But I wanted to let you know about our interest before you closed the game to new applications.   

~grins~

Name: Jordan Cobblestone

Position: First Class Passenger

Sexual Preferences: Dominant, Straight

Appearance: 5'8" lean but fit. Dark brown hair almost black, side burns, wicked smile and expressive eyebrows

Personality: Top cat of his universe in full control of both his own and soon to be 'Trophy Wife's destiny.  (Future Trophy Wife to be played by Secretwriter)  Mr. Cobblestone is very possessive of his possession's including the future Mrs. Cobblestone. 

Background: 1st born son of a multimillionaire cattle rancher out of Texas Jordan's path was laid out before him even before he was born.  Three years after taking over his father's business oil was discovered in a little used portion of the ranch.  This discovery combined with Jordan's strong mind for business matters nearly tripled the family fortune seemingly overnight.

Mr. Cobblestone spent a great deal of time adding to the family fortune but he also took the time to enjoy all that life had to offer.  He absolutely loved going to the theater.  Whether it be for plays, opera's or to hear some new symphony play one could always count on seeing one of the towns most eligible bachelor arrive with some new young lady in tow.  When asked by his parents when he planned to settle down with one woman and get married he always replied, "Only if and when I find the most absolutely perfect woman for me will I consider settling down."  When asked about what this perfect woman would be like he would only smile and say, "I don't know yet but I'll know her when I see her."     

While many saw the tragic sinking of the RMS Titanic as the beginning of the end of the White Star Line.  Mr. Cobblestone saw it as a business opportunity of a life time.  And quickly set his shrewd business mind to the task of buying up as many shares of the shipping line as he could possibly get his hands on.  For this he had actually made the long trip to Liverpool where he privately and semi secretly set about making his purchases.  He had been living in Europe for nearly a year when his business there finally drew to a close. 

About a month before he was to set sail back to America he was given tickets to a new play along with a back stage pass to meet the cast and crew.  It was there he finally found the most absolutely perfect woman for him.  A Miss Mary Agnes Hawthorne who caught and held his attention from the very moment he first saw her walk on to the stage.  The whole month that he had spent with her had been by far the grandest month of his life up to that point.  It nearly broke his heart when it came time to leave but they vowed to keep in touch and it was a vow that both of them kept. 

A year later also keeping to his word he returned back to her loving embrace vowing never to leave her again.  Two weeks before the RMS Mystic was to leave on her maiden voyage Mr. Cobblestone had knelt down on one knee to propose to the one and only person he completely trusted and loved.

Appreciate the edits and additions, Nim ... approved!

Zillah

Quote from: Secretwriter on March 05, 2013, 06:02:46 PM
Name: Mary Agnes Hawthorne

Sexual Preferences: Bisexual leaning toward men, submissive to men, but not to women.

Personality: Fun, brash, and a little bit lewd, Mary Agnes grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, lower middle class with lots of siblings. She's used to having to share everything that she's ever possessed and only has one thing that has ever been entirely hers, which is a locket that was given to her by her namesake, Mary Agnes Bennett, her maternal great-grandmother.  Always just a bit on the wild side, she has spent more time pretending to be a bad ass than truly being one, as her goals are to become a silver screen starlet, she acts in a small stage troupe that does a lot of classical plays such as Shakespeare, though she doesn't find the man to be so very bloody brilliant. 

She has had only a hand full of male lovers though she pretends or alludes to the possibility of having more, though she neither confirms nor denies this.  She has been fairly chaste due to the fact that she doesn't want to have a child and get her career derailed before it truly got started. She has spent more of her sexual time with women for that reason.

Though she has always found being a lady to be overrated, she tries to display her manners everywhere but the bedroom with her fiancé, one Mr. Jordan Cobblestone, whom she loves to pieces. She prays that he never thinks that she's a gold digger because she loves him with all of her heart.

She is submissive to her fiancé though she does find that to be hard sometimes. Mary Agnes is rather sentimental.

Background: Mary Agnes was born to poor parents in Central London, who were a baker and a seamstress respectively. She has two older sisters, an older brother, and a younger sister and brother.

She grew up with a gift for acting and quit school in the eighth grade to work so she could take acting courses. She held various jobs as a shop girl and waitressing positions to work her way through and was still waiting tables when she met Jordan. 

The pair met back stage at one of her plays; he had passes that allowed him to meet the cast and the pair hit it off and dated for two years, the first year was long distance and he had moved to London for the second year.  She has every one of the letters he wrote to her and plans to keep them forever.

I'll believe she's submissive when I see it, Secret. ::) But definitely approved!

Chreestafer

I rather like my photo choices ;)

And ill edit his job soon

Anything else my dear I need to fix?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Zillah

Quote from: Porkyspanx on March 06, 2013, 06:04:07 AM
Name: The Hon. Artemis fforbes-Hamilton
Position: First Class Passenger (with nobs on)
Sexual Preferences: Submissive, straight
Appearance: A little taller than average for most women of her time and class, Artemis (Arty to her family) has fair hair, blue eyes and the porcelain skin that's characteristic of fforbes-Hamilton women. Her body is slight, but not entirely without shape - the family has survived countless generations thanks to suitably childbearing hips.
Personality: A quiet girl, unaware of her own beauty. She is more suited to the kinds of mindless activities that polite society foists upon a child raised in isolation... she can play patience and bridge, she can work needlepoint and recite obscure poems. She is aware of her social position and has been raised to believe she is somehow fundamentally different from people of the lower classes. Her new found freedom on board the ship reveals a reckless streak, a desire to live life to the full and attempt to shrug off her fearful nature.
Background: Has lived with her mother and grandmother at Grantleigh Manor in the English countryside all her life, every move monitored by a nanny or the tyrannical eye of her relatives. She's been very sheltered and protected, her only real access to the outside world has been newspapers (little more than propaganda) and servants' gossip. Her grandmother caught a severe chill days before their departure and it was decided, against her grandmother's wishes, that Artemis should make the trip alone. She is traveling to visit her father who lives in the States as a diplomat. With a new sense of freedom, she sets off on the open sea.

Your character looks just fine, Porkyspanx - approved, and welcome aboard!

Amor

Quote from: Zillah on March 06, 2013, 08:52:06 AM
Your character looks just fine, Porkyspanx - approved, and welcome aboard!

Phew! Thanks Zillah  :-)
Click here for my O/O list & current games.
"The things that make us happy make us wise." John Crowley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpEesx_KyjM

Zillah

Quote from: Chreestafer on March 06, 2013, 08:24:12 AM
I rather like my photo choices ;)

And ill edit his job soon

Anything else my dear I need to fix?

Just the previously requested adjustments. Thanks.

Secretwriter

Quote from: Zillah on March 06, 2013, 08:19:51 AM
I'll believe she's submissive when I see it, Secret. ::) But definitely approved!

Thank you. Lol I never said she was good at it, I said it was hard lol with Mr. Cobblestone she is :P

Secret's Bio | Tanja's Bio

I see hell in your eyes. Taken in by surprise. And touching you makes me feel alive.

♦ Kitty's Brain ♥ Pockets's Lucky Charm ♥ Doom Cookie Monster ♥ Shade's Spanking Machine ♥ Najdan's Sinful Little Devil ♦

Nim

zenpai

I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Chrystal

Quote from: Secretwriter on March 05, 2013, 05:28:07 PM
And how am I mean? ;)

By creating a bi character who is sub and is taken by a jealous man!

Oh boy, this is a busy thread.

For women looking for suitable photos, the keyword "Flapper" is a good one. The fashion of the 1910 and 20s was the flapper - a bob-cut, tight short dress, lots of beads and a tight dome-shaped hat (not sure what the name is)

Zillah, may I suggest putting the re-size code in the character sheet?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Zillah

Quote from: Chrystal on March 06, 2013, 01:50:57 PM
Zillah, may I suggest putting the re-size code in the character sheet?

Good thought, Chrystal - I've updated the template accordingly. The OOC Thread (which I'm currently writing) will also feature the updated template, and feature guidelines for how pictures should be formatted in all game posts.

And the dome-shaped "flapper hat" is a cloche hat. :)