Looking for players for in depth RPG game - Dreambending

Started by Victor, March 06, 2011, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

I have recently been inspired and created my own mod of World of Darkness. The mod is based centrally on the movie Inception with elements of movies such as the Matrix (only the first one) and the TV show Dollhouse. The game will revolve around a team of people who use dreams to do everything from solve crimes to heal the injured to prostitution to theft. They all work for one company and will be assigned tasks. All of them are working for the company to be able to have something expunged from their records or to earn some special privilege. In the system characters will be able to spend points at character generation on a set of abilities I have created which allow them to manipulate the dream to one extent or another.

At this time I am planning on taking four to five players and would like a rough balance between males and females. I am very open to hear character concepts but their will be some limitations on background. Characters will start the game with standard World of Darkness character creation rules. Aside from picking a Vice and Virtue I will also be asking the people who join the game for a list of their characters likes and dislikes which will include things such as sexual preferences of their character and favorite foods.

If you are interested in the game then please post here with a basic concept for your character and appearance. If you have any 'dark secrets' planned for the character then please DO NOT post them here. They will be discussed with me through PMs so that they can be brought into the game without the other characters knowing how it might affect yours.
"When the Lion fawns upon the Lamb, the Lamb will never cease to follow him." - Shakespeare

Rollard

I was going to make an RP based on Inception myself, but it looks like you beat me to it.

One question though, how does World of Darkness work? And what is Dollhouse about?

Wait a minute, that's two questions.

vyttor

I would have to adapt one of the character concepts I like to play, but I like the idea, in principle. Will get in touch with you again in a near future.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am sworn by the Oath of the Drake
----------------------------------------------------------------

Acid Lips

I like it, however I don't have the WoD book atm. If you can help me make the character sheet I would love to rp this with ya all

vyttor

What's good about WoD system is that it's one of the best systems around to start with a good character concept and background, and then the stats all come easy from that, with the rules to fit you into what's reasonable (i.e. in level with other starting characters).

Knowing a little about the most common settings, however, can help you get an idea of what to look for.

Victor

Very glad that people are interested... due to having a tabletop DnD game tonight I won't be able to answer questions at the moment so I will get to them tomorrow as soon as possible. =)
"When the Lion fawns upon the Lamb, the Lamb will never cease to follow him." - Shakespeare

Victor

Quote from: Acid Lips on March 06, 2011, 03:52:44 PM
I like it, however I don't have the WoD book atm. If you can help me make the character sheet I would love to rp this with ya all

This link --> http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/pdf/NWOD/NWoD1-Page.pdf is the place where you can find the WoD standard human character sheet. Everyone will be building from that. I will not be revealing the types of power or what stats they used until the game has started to prevent god-moding. So just have fun and build a character that will have some strong connection to her dreams/subconscious. The instructions for assigning stats is at the bottom. I will be more than happy to explain what things do that are not intuitive. The one change to the character sheet is that the skill "Occult" will be replaced with "Dreams".

Quote from: Rollard on March 06, 2011, 02:01:57 PM
I was going to make an RP based on Inception myself, but it looks like you beat me to it.

One question though, how does World of Darkness work? And what is Dollhouse about?

Wait a minute, that's two questions.

World of Darkness is a world in which you can play either humans or things that go bump in the night... Vampires, Werewolves, Mages, etc. Its a very dark setting with realistic view of the human characters. The system favors role playing over combat (it was made by the same people that did Vampire the Requiem).

Dollhouse --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)

I hope that answered your questions. If you have more then please let me know.

Rollard

How exactly are we supposed to fill out each section of the character sheet? I don't get it...

Why bother to use a pen & paper game for character sheets? Is the success or failure of every action going to be up to the roll of a die?

Victor

World of Darkness doesn't work exactly like that. Most things come out through roleplaying and there is no need for dice. It is more for if someone is to do something very difficult. The reason that I like using character sheets is because the offer a way for a person to look at their character from a more objective stand point. I think people enjoy playing a character that is awesome in all ways like James Bond but the truth is that people have strengths and weaknesses... using a character sheet helps that process, forcing people to sacrifice some things to make other areas stronger.

Rollard

And just how do you fill out the character sheets to begin with?

Victor

This link  http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/pdf/NWOD/NWoD1-Page.pdf that I posted gives the character sheet with the instructions for the assigning of points at the bottom of it. If you have any questions about what any of it means then please let me know.

vyttor

Rollard,

The number are number of dots you can place as you wish in that filed. You will notice that attributes and skills are each divided in three groups. So, "Attributes 5/4/3" means you can put 5 dots in one group of you choice, 4 in another, and 3 in the last one. Same logic for skills.

Rollard

Are the groups in rows or columns? Does every attribute in the group get the same amount of dots or do I distribute them?

Victor

The groups are the columns... such as Mental, Physical, Social.... you distribute the points into them... so for instance... assigning 4 among mental stats, 3 among physical and 5 among social.