Gauging the Temperature: Massive Custom Space RP. [UN]

Started by Revolverman, September 18, 2008, 11:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revolverman

Ok, I wanna know how many people are interested in a Massive Space RP with as many people as possible?

My idea is that Earth has just developed Warp Drive, and now needs to explore beyond the Sol Solar System.

However, your not stuck with being human. You're aloud to make your own home world, with its own race. it ,however, must be on par with earth. it can be equal, or it can be better then earth in some ways, but worse in others.

Earth is now for the most part clean, and peaceful, under the control of the UEG (United Earth Government, a Dictatorship) and almost all industry is now on Mars and Mercury. Earth is a farm world. The asteroid belt is being developed for mining. Venus is undergoing Terra forming. The Gas Giants are being harvested for the Hydrogen needed for Warp Drive and other trace gasses. Pluto is a military outpost. All these Planets have Human cities, so all humans can come from any planet in Sol (Gas giant have low orbit cities around them, but any one from one, is considered to be from the Planet.) If your from a Moon, you will still be considered from the planet it orbits. Sol System Traffic is busy and its nearly impossible to be hidden in Sol.

If you decide to make your own race, you will need to make a solar system for them too.

I will only be running the NPCs, and random events. This RP is going to be driven by the players, if they do nothing, nothing will happen.

Please post if interested, or have questions.

Players
Laeori
Atlus
Akhanu
Combicon
RubySlippers

Laeori

I am definitely there. Just let me think up my race of supa sexah ladies and I'll get back with you *winks*

Atlus

This sounds like fun. I'm not sure how many RPs I can handle right now, but assuming all goes well I'd like to join. Save me a spot.
How profound such profanity can be.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

Laeori

Ok, this is just a rough outline for my character, so you have an idea where I am going.  As usual I have selected a Royo print for inspiration.. here ya go.

http://www.aumania.it/fa/royo/091.jpg

As for the planet.  No land mass at all, the entire planet is water based.  Cities and civilization exists under water  They can however, fly short distances, this is mainly for travel and or hunting. 

The society, female driven.  Males are second class citizens if at all.  Think a reverse ancient Roman type world.  Pure love is believed to only exist between two women.
^.^ 

I haven't decided how I want to do reproduction and such with them, though I have a few really good ideas.  Anyhow, that's what I got so far I will work on it some more tomorrow =)

Akhanu

Yes yes. I want a ride among the planets and stars and all. Now Earth definitely needs better performing warp-drives then the crude, inefficient and highly unstable ones that they use so far. And I'm sure Laeori's alien race has better ones. :D Embassies anyone? Industrial agents and interstellar smuggling? We earthlings are resourceful even though primitive :P
Experience Chan! There's neither distance nor intimacy. Observation is like a family treasure. Whether with eyes, ears, body, nose, or tongue - It's hard to say which is the most amazing to use.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Revolverman

Added! put you down as an Terran?

Also, you RP as one person in this game, but you can be anything you like with the exception of the leader of the UEG (not to say you cant BECOME leader ;) )

Akhanu

Yessah. I'd be a Terran in this. I'll think in more detail what I'd make my character to be and it's a nice idea to  consider becoming the leader of the wretched primitive but still highly intriguing race we are. :D
Experience Chan! There's neither distance nor intimacy. Observation is like a family treasure. Whether with eyes, ears, body, nose, or tongue - It's hard to say which is the most amazing to use.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Revolverman

Akhanu

Hehe, yes, an agent/spy character in charge of leading the secret services of the UEG is a very good idea. I think I'll start here and now only work out the details.
If there's anything I'd have to keep in mind before I work out the detail, let me know.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Revolverman

nope, totally free formed, but keep it realistic, I won't hesitate to punish god-moders.

Revolverman

oh ya, if you want me too, I can build your solar system for you, and place it in the galaxy. but you must build the race.

Combicon

RubySlippers

I want to do a human offshoot that lives and works in space they have a modest home planet but most of the race live and work in space, from pirates to honest merchants and explorers. They would have penalties in average gravity fields but be natural space pilots being devestating in combat ,at least if smaller ships like fighters and corvettes, and navigating the stars. It will be neutral to humanity at this point and any other race.

Other races will likely have better big ships but the shipyards ,small and mostly personal family run, would produce the finest smaller ships in the universe and be experts at taking derelict materials to make custom ships.

I'm going to make it more of a guild or corporation however maybe called the Alliance of Free Space (AFS) in structure.

As for reproduction for the water race what about gene-spliced coloning tyope technology two females can decide to mate, go to a fertility facility they will take genes from both and merge them in a empty egg and encourage reproduction. Growing the daughter in a breeding capsule until she is matures. Like in a Brave New World but the daughter would know her parents.

Combicon

If I was allowed to join, I'd love to do a race that lives on an island that's been mostly avoided by civilsed worlds because of the lack of policing there, where mobs rule the streets, violence is a day-to-day occurance. Kind of like tattoine (with the hutts ruling almost everything), except a lot more violent, and mosst of the people there turning out to be theives, admittedly their engineering skills aren't that great, however their world, being mostly untouched by other races (as it's considered an unfit place to be, so no one even mines the resources), has given them the opportunity to develop rockets and the like. Admittedly, there will be the occasional mishap where something blows up, killing a few, but those who have made it up into the skies, usually become pirates of sorts, either that, or traders in a black market. The few who have made very sucsessful ships that can travel to other planets faster, or navigate easier have been known to intergrate to other planets, while generally being abused from day-to-day, live by helping construct, or further said planets travel potential (i.e. helping to make better rockets etc).

Their appearence would be a mixture between a rock elemental and gollum, their back, arms, the back of their head and their feet being the tough skin (where it is slightly rougher, like the rock elemental), but in general being smaller and nimbler, if that makes any sense.

Reproduction; Most, if not all of the species would have sex organs like humans, that can either fold away, or becovered by a fold in their skin. As they aren't usually family-loving creatures (i.e. they are social, somewhat, but tend to veer away from staying as partners) at specific times of the year, like certain animals on Earth, have a specific place for mating, and mate as one big group (that is, essentially, a swingers party, where lots of people are mating at the same place, but paired off into small groups/couples).

Their solar system is quite small, and all the planets are quite close to the sun, making their skin likely to be darker,, and have less, if any hair.

Hmm, I can't think of anything else there needs to be discussed about it...

Laeori

The gene splicing is a great idea, though it takes the fun out of it. Plus if they were completely self sufficient they wouldn't need men at all and I would assume they'd all be run off, killed, or just bred out.  I am thinking I will go with my guild's current theory on Naga, and take it from a snake/ reptilian perspective.. I'll let those of you who need too look that up do so for now =P  Could prove intriguing later on *laughs*

Aiden

Combicon

Quote from: Laeori on September 19, 2008, 11:55:02 AM
The gene splicing is a great idea, though it takes the fun out of it. Plus if they were completely self sufficient they wouldn't need men at all and I would assume they'd all be run off, killed, or just bred out.  I am thinking I will go with my guild's current theory on Naga, and take it from a snake/ reptilian perspective.. I'll let those of you who need too look that up do so for now =P  Could prove intriguing later on *laughs*

Good golly, you're right. XD [Goes and edits]

Revolverman

All Approved. How long should we wait before we start? I was thinking a week.

Laeori

That's a good time frame.  Let's you get things started and lets us work out the final details of our races and character's.

Karnax

count me in. I will make an alien race... something different.
Polyamory is wrong! Multiamory or Polyphilia is ok, but never mix Latin and Greek roots!

Transgirlenstein

Not sure if this intrudes too much into what Laeroi is doing but I would love to play a naga/serpentine race.  Perhaps a hermaphorditic/andrognyous species or something.  I will need to think up some details first.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Laeori

*Smells potential crossbreeding*.. well if we don't nuke eachother first =P  ROFL  ;D

Jk jk kj  The more snake people the better I say!

Aiden

you want us to send some quick bio/appearance? (Those who have not?)

Revolverman

100% welcome, if possible, a space ship would be great too.

Karnax

OK. My alien -

I shall call the race the Kyssruk. A humanoid race, one that seeks physical perfection. They would be reptillian, but a blue color... ranging from cyan to deep blue. Very small scales, frills and spines were hair would be on a human's head. Snake eyes in a rainbow of hues. Regenerative abilities.

They seek perfection. It is considered shameful to eat or drink in public, because it is admitting your body lacks all it needs. On their homeworld, eating is done in private while removing bodily waste is a daily ritual. This is because they are celebrating their body ridding itself of poison (no scat or waterplay... the species considers it waste still). However, they have adapted their customs in the company of other races to more human standards, though they still eat alone.

Due to the regenerative capabilities of their species, many medical expierments are done to push and expand their bodies. Genetics are highly studied, but test tube babies or cloning is looked down on as cheating (excellent parents would naturally breed excellent children). Many expirements attempting to combine the species with a form of plantlife (to eliminate the need for food) have been done, but all have failed due to the radical differences between plant and animals. 

Reproduction is via live birth (their ancestors used to lay eggs, but this was seen as too vunerable and fragile, and live birth was one of the first medical modifications of the species). Females have internal sex organs simiular to humans, whereas the males have more of a tentacle probe which resides in their bodies when not in use (better to protect the organs).

Is that descriptive enough?
Polyamory is wrong! Multiamory or Polyphilia is ok, but never mix Latin and Greek roots!

Revolverman

Karnax

I didn't think of that, though I suppose they could work as a quick reference. Minus that spoon thing on their head. and blue. and spiney things instead of hair.

Inkidu

Hmmm. I do loves my science fiction. Human military please. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Hell I've been talking about Mass Effect too long Lieutenant Commander please.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Revolverman

Inkidu

Name: Adam Carmichael
Born on a Mars he was shipped off to Pluto at an early age being placed into the EUG military government. Has two parents who run a large farm on Earth. He doesn't talk to them or his other relatives. He's a career military soldier. Often jumping from system to system to help oversee EUG activity outside of the Sol system. He does most military work. Depending on the orders. As of late he has returned to Sol.

Revolverman

Just a note, Humans have yet to leave Sol, They are about to with the development of the Warp Drive

Karnax

OK... question then.

Are any alien races therefore more advanced than the humans? How else would there be contact?

Inkidu

Quote from: Revolverman on September 19, 2008, 08:07:57 PM
Just a note, Humans have yet to leave Sol, They are about to with the development of the Warp Drive
Oh well when I officially do this thing up it'll be fixed.

Revolverman

There is no contact yet, you have to start making contact when the game starts.

Inkidu

Quote from: Revolverman on September 19, 2008, 08:10:31 PM
There is no contact yet, you have to start making contact when the game starts.
I understand that. I was just saying I'm not going to fix a profile that will be forgotten once the main thread is up.

Revolverman

Quote from: Inkidu on September 19, 2008, 08:17:09 PM
I understand that. I was just saying I'm not going to fix a profile that will be forgotten once the main thread is up.

Oh, sorry I was explaining something Karnax. sorry for the misunderstanding.

Inkidu

Quote from: Revolverman on September 19, 2008, 08:25:17 PM
Oh, sorry I was explaining something Karnax. sorry for the misunderstanding.
Oh sorry. Gotcha.

Skilgannon

Hi, I would love to take part if there is still space, very much into Sci-Fi...

Would be the leader of a colony... sent away in cryogenics years before warp drive, landed on a planet and had to colonise and improvise... thriving colony due to lots of resources... My people are inovative thinkers and designers... we have our own small Navy... perhaps we could be discovered...

Terran by descent but no longer think of ourselves as Terrans as we are several generations on from where we were?

I can add more if this is okay?

The planet is Eraldin, named by the first colonists. Similar in make up to Earth it has polar regions to the north and south but the central area is almost purely grass plains. Large herds of animals graze on the grasslike terrain hunted by airborn and other land based predators.

The collonists found it easy to establish farms. Their ship carried heavy manufacuring and they built their first city and then used the ship to create smaller ships that could achieve orbit, harvesting ore and needed fuels from the nearest planets.

Now there are 4 massive cities in the centre of the grass plains, bustling metropolis that each functioned differently, one as an industrial capital, one a goverment capital, one the central food store and the other a resrt for people to have a break. The central government city also acted as the spaceport for Eraldin's blossoming space industry. There was now a mining colony on the moon, the nearby planet named Toradin and an orbiting gas harvester on the large gas giant. The planet was self sufficient and in the last few years had also just finished an orbital shipyard, producing more mining vessels and two of their new ships... these had been commisioned to defend the planet if needed. They carried pulse cannons and small missiles.

Nikkolas Taylen was the current leader of the planet... 42, strong and well shaped. 6ft2, brown hair and green eyes.
He trained in the Eraldin military for 10 years before moving on to become the leader of the colony. Though they don't have any enemies yet there are large predators out on the plains and to prove their training complete they are given a dagger and sent out onto the plains to bring back one of the Kresk, a large lizard like predator. This ensures that those in the military are tough and hardy folk given to survival.
What we do in life echoes in eternity...

Akhanu

Ok. I will put the character description here initially and then repost it where appropriate when the game starts. Revolverman, tell me if there's anything that might need modification and revision.

Name:           Ortin Nikaldi
Place of Birth: Earth

History:

Ortin's parents were from the Mars colonies and they came to Earth just before Ortin was born. His father was sent  there from the company he worked for. Mining and raw material enrichment were strictly prohibited on the farming oriented Earth as heavy industry activity damaged the fragile Earth ecosystem. Earthgrown crops were the most valued in all SolSys regions and the high demand had finally transformed Earth to a clean farming-only eden, with  several corporations ending in a trade race among themselves to suply Earth with the heavy industrial products. Ortin's father company produced all kinds of irrigation and terraforming machinery and equipment. With a handful of deals and contracts, Stargarden created a separate division for Earth, the Earth Branch of Stargarden Co, of which Ortin's father was General Executive.

Growing up on Earth provided Ortin with a relatively uneventful youth, yet with plenty of time for his education. Unlike his father, he didn't have much interest in business. Curious in nature and known among kids for his grudges, he enjoyed finding the details of how things worked. On Earth he led a lifestyle which allowed him plenty of time for his education, hobbies and even his vices.
But his flowerbed life ended very abruptly when his father was murdered under mysterious circumstance. Nothing was found that could lead to a reason why and by who. Soon rumours spread that he had been involved in illegal trafics and low-profile contracts with Pluto. Pluto was well known to be a military settlement and it was very questionable that Earth Branch of Stargarden provided Pluto terraforming equipment which Stargarden HQ wouldn't provide. For Ortin the investigation that labeled his father a smuggler and a victim of illegal activity was rigged and manipulated. It ended too fast, it was forgotten far too eagerly.

To everyone's surprise he asked Stargarden permission to lead EBS after his father's death and in the end he was allowed to do so under the supervision of another Stargarden representative for 5 years. The resourceful young man soon realised that he was being watched rather than supervised and with the help of some friends, it wasn't long till he managed to find out that he was being spied upon. This triggered anger and a feeling of revenge in Ortin. He did all he could to secretly and privately determine who was behind all this and was convinced it had to do with his father's death, but the more he found out the more he came across classified information!

He orchestrated a quarrel with Stargarden's supervisor regarding EBS' way of management and during a loud and angered moment between the two of them they agreed to transfer its leadership to the supervisor with the aproval of Stargarden HQ for 5 years, a timespan during which Ortin would have no saying at all. This perfectly suited Ortin's plans who left EBS and returned to his relatives on Mars where he imediately enrolled with Mars Military Academy. He was among the best cadets and when he was presented with the choice he took intelligence specialising. During his final year he volunteered for the Infiltrator Dragoon training, members of which were kept classified. Officially he was sent to Saturn Military Testbed facility, but in reality he went to Neptune, at one of the many secret Infiltrator Hardening Outposts of the UEG.

When he returned to Earth he was seen as the man who had just finished a 5year holiday with the military. But the truth was that Ortin now had access to previously classified information to follow on his father's investigation. Easily he found out that Stargarden's supervisor for the Earth Branch was a UEG secret services data gatherer but with much lower clearance than himself as an Infiltrator Dragoon and the Earth Branch was more than a terraforming company. As a profesional he knew it was meaningless to ponder his father's murder any more.

He now is the respected General Executive of Earth Branch of Stargarden Terraforming Co. He is also "Hammershark" for those selected few who know about it... Earth, apart from being the peaceful eden of SolSys, is also the home of the newest, most secret UEG intelligence department which Hammershark steers towards one aim alone: Alien Contact.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Atlus

I'll post my species here, though I'll post the character when we get a thread going.

Physical Description: The Khushun are a vaguely humanoid race with some major differences. The average Khushun male is 6'5", the average female is 6'1".They have powerful bat like wings which protrude from thier backs, though they are not capable of true flight. Below the wings are arms which are mostly identical to those of a human, with the exception of powerful talons on the hands. Below this set of arms lies another, longer more powerful set (rear facing for females, forward for males). This set of arms is usually wrapped tightly about the lower abdomen when not in use.
Khushun range in color,, though it is almost always a dark hue. Deep purples, blues, reds, greens, and blacks, are most common. Where humans have white eyes with varying colors for the iris, Khushun possess black eyes with red or blue irises. Long black spines serve the same function as hair on a human.

The Khushun's physiology is vastly different from that of a human. They live on a diet comprised of rocks and other minerals and ore.
In modern times, cybernetics have become a staple amongst the Khushun.
Most Khushun live in communities of 20 to 1000 individuals. Everyone within a community is considered family.

I've come up with alot of details for this species so I can't really list them all here. If there's something important I'm leaving out let me know.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

Revolverman

Quote from: Skilgannon on September 20, 2008, 08:34:20 AM
Hi, I would love to take part if there is still space, very much into Sci-Fi...

Would be the leader of a colony... sent away in cryogenics years before warp drive, landed on a planet and had to colonise and improvise... thriving colony due to lots of resources... My people are inovative thinkers and designers... we have our own small Navy... perhaps we could be discovered...

Terran by descent but no longer think of ourselves as Terrans as we are several generations on from where we were?

I can add more if this is okay?

The planet is Eraldin, named by the first colonists. Similar in make up to Earth it has polar regions to the north and south but the central area is almost purely grass plains. Large herds of animals graze on the grasslike terrain hunted by airborn and other land based predators.

The collonists found it easy to establish farms. Their ship carried heavy manufacuring and they built their first city and then used the ship to create smaller ships that could achieve orbit, harvesting ore and needed fuels from the nearest planets.

Now there are 4 massive cities in the centre of the grass plains, bustling metropolis that each functioned differently, one as an industrial capital, one a goverment capital, one the central food store and the other a resrt for people to have a break. The central government city also acted as the spaceport for Eraldin's blossoming space industry. There was now a mining colony on the moon, the nearby planet named Toradin and an orbiting gas harvester on the large gas giant. The planet was self sufficient and in the last few years had also just finished an orbital shipyard, producing more mining vessels and two of their new ships... these had been commisioned to defend the planet if needed. They carried pulse cannons and small missiles.

Nikkolas Taylen was the current leader of the planet... 42, strong and well shaped. 6ft2, brown hair and green eyes.
He trained in the Eraldin military for 10 years before moving on to become the leader of the colony. Though they don't have any enemies yet there are large predators out on the plains and to prove their training complete they are given a dagger and sent out onto the plains to bring back one of the Kresk, a large lizard like predator. This ensures that those in the military are tough and hardy folk given to survival.

that sounds ok, how far do you want to be form Sol?

Revolverman

Quote from: Akhanu on September 20, 2008, 08:48:06 AM
Ok. I will put the character description here initially and then repost it where appropriate when the game starts. Revolverman, tell me if there's anything that might need modification and revision.

Name:           Ortin Nikaldi
Place of Birth: Earth

History:

Ortin's parents were from the Mars colonies and they came to Earth just before Ortin was born. His father was sent  there from the company he worked for. Mining and raw material enrichment were strictly prohibited on the farming oriented Earth as heavy industry activity damaged the fragile Earth ecosystem. Earthgrown crops were the most valued in all SolSys regions and the high demand had finally transformed Earth to a clean farming-only eden, with  several corporations ending in a trade race among themselves to suply Earth with the heavy industrial products. Ortin's father company produced all kinds of irrigation and terraforming machinery and equipment. With a handful of deals and contracts, Stargarden created a separate division for Earth, the Earth Branch of Stargarden Co, of which Ortin's father was General Executive.

Growing up on Earth provided Ortin with a relatively uneventful youth, yet with plenty of time for his education. Unlike his father, he didn't have much interest in business. Curious in nature and known among kids for his grudges, he enjoyed finding the details of how things worked. On Earth he led a lifestyle which allowed him plenty of time for his education, hobbies and even his vices.
But his flowerbed life ended very abruptly when his father was murdered under mysterious circumstance. Nothing was found that could lead to a reason why and by who. Soon rumours spread that he had been involved in illegal trafics and low-profile contracts with Pluto. Pluto was well known to be a military settlement and it was very questionable that Earth Branch of Stargarden provided Pluto terraforming equipment which Stargarden HQ wouldn't provide. For Ortin the investigation that labeled his father a smuggler and a victim of illegal activity was rigged and manipulated. It ended too fast, it was forgotten far too eagerly.

To everyone's surprise he asked Stargarden permission to lead EBS after his father's death and in the end he was allowed to do so under the supervision of another Stargarden representative for 5 years. The resourceful young man soon realised that he was being watched rather than supervised and with the help of some friends, it wasn't long till he managed to find out that he was being spied upon. This triggered anger and a feeling of revenge in Ortin. He did all he could to secretly and privately determine who was behind all this and was convinced it had to do with his father's death, but the more he found out the more he came across classified information!

He orchestrated a quarrel with Stargarden's supervisor regarding EBS' way of management and during a loud and angered moment between the two of them they agreed to transfer its leadership to the supervisor with the aproval of Stargarden HQ for 5 years, a timespan during which Ortin would have no saying at all. This perfectly suited Ortin's plans who left EBS and returned to his relatives on Mars where he imediately enrolled with Mars Military Academy. He was among the best cadets and when he was presented with the choice he took intelligence specialising. During his final year he volunteered for the Infiltrator Dragoon training, members of which were kept classified. Officially he was sent to Saturn Military Testbed facility, but in reality he went to Neptune, at one of the many secret Infiltrator Hardening Outposts of the UEG.

When he returned to Earth he was seen as the man who had just finished a 5year holiday with the military. But the truth was that Ortin now had access to previously classified information to follow on his father's investigation. Easily he found out that Stargarden's supervisor for the Earth Branch was a UEG secret services data gatherer but with much lower clearance than himself as an Infiltrator Dragoon and the Earth Branch was more than a terraforming company. As a profesional he knew it was meaningless to ponder his father's murder any more.

He now is the respected General Executive of Earth Branch of Stargarden Terraforming Co. He is also "Hammershark" for those selected few who know about it... Earth, apart from being the peaceful eden of SolSys, is also the home of the newest, most secret UEG intelligence department which Hammershark steers towards one aim alone: Alien Contact.

Sounds good man.

Revolverman

Quote from: Atlus on September 20, 2008, 01:32:09 PM
I'll post my species here, though I'll post the character when we get a thread going.

Physical Description: The Khushun are a vaguely humanoid race with some major differences. The average Khushun male is 6'5", the average female is 6'1".They have powerful bat like wings which protrude from thier backs, though they are not capable of true flight. Below the wings are arms which are mostly identical to those of a human, with the exception of powerful talons on the hands. Below this set of arms lies another, longer more powerful set (rear facing for females, forward for males). This set of arms is usually wrapped tightly about the lower abdomen when not in use.
Khushun range in color,, though it is almost always a dark hue. Deep purples, blues, reds, greens, and blacks, are most common. Where humans have white eyes with varying colors for the iris, Khushun possess black eyes with red or blue irises. Long black spines serve the same function as hair on a human.

The Khushun's physiology is vastly different from that of a human. They live on a diet comprised of rocks and other minerals and ore.
In modern times, cybernetics have become a staple amongst the Khushun.
Most Khushun live in communities of 20 to 1000 individuals. Everyone within a community is considered family.

I've come up with alot of details for this species so I can't really list them all here. If there's something important I'm leaving out let me know.

Nice, how far do you want to be from Sol?

Inkidu

What is the theory behind backward facing arms?!  :-\

Atlus

I guess they should be somewhere in the same spiral of the milkyway as the humans, given the similar mineral makeup of their homeworlds.

And the concept behind backward facing arms is kind of involved. The Khushun core worlds are very rocky and comprised mostly of peaks, valleys, and crevices in between. The second set of arms served several vital functions in the days before modern dwellings were invented. Firstly, they assist in maneuvering through tight spaces where the front arms would be pinned. When wrapped around the abdomen they protect the midsection from sharp rocks. An egg (Khushun lay fertilized eggs) can be carried between the abdomen and the arms, protecting the egg from harm and warming it. The reason that female arms go backwards as opposed to forwards also relates to their evolutionary origins. Khushun mating tends to be rather vigorous. Traditional Khushun mating was usually performed upside down while the feet gripped on to a cliff or other suitable surface. In modern times many sexual positions are practiced, but in those times the most common method was to have the male penetrate from the rear. During mating the wings are extended and the lower arms intertwine, binding the couple together. This ensures that if either looses footing, the other can maintain their hold.
In addition, rear facing arms allowed female Khushun access to tighter crevices then rival males, ensuring that there would be safe hiding places for eggs.
And while we're on the subject of Khushun sex, I should mention that the concepts of kissing and oral sex are unknown to them. A species with three rows of teeth designed for grinding rock just can't conceive of doing something as delicate as sex with their mouths.

Revolverman

Its a dictatorship, military based, but popular because earth is now clean, peaceful, and everyone is fed and has water.

Grimm

I'm totally interested in this.  I'm curious about the political structure of people living off-world.  I mean, do we have a caste system with the wealthy and government officials at the top, and a workforce trapped for generations in indentured servitude on the bottom? 

Also, how would the government view people that are born and live in space?  That is to say people that aren't connected to any particular colony, but instead do other interesting jobs (Interplanetary repair jobs, jacked up freight haulers, career Zero-G construction workers and the like).  Are there enough of these people and has enough time passed for there to be a subculture within the Terran umbrella that exists solely to fill those niches?

Finally, do you have a preferred method of submitting a character?  Not looking to taint what is possibly my first rp on-site by irritating the GM.  If can get in, of course.  *Grovels in Revolverman's direction*

Revolverman

In fact, off earth, there is almost no caste system, as the very best and brightest must be at the top for everything to run.

Those who are born in space dont have many rights, but those who live off world tend to like staying off planets. Unless its piracy or rebellion, there is almost no law enforcement in open space so they tend to be the most free. there is a number of unaligned space stations around Sol System.

hahaha just give name, age, history and birth place

Grimm

Name: Eddie Naman
Birthplace: On the family freighter in-transit between Earth and Mars.
History:  Eddie was raised alone with his father after his mother died of complications during his birth.  When told that her death could have been prevented if she had been in a modern medical facility, Eddie's father simply frowned and took the infant back to his Freighter.

Eddie was put to work young, as his father needed the money to keep the ship running and to keep them fed.  It also didn't hurt that having Eddie work was a surefire way to keep him from getting into trouble.  Of course, there was the occasional accident, and Eddie would make it to the station with a broken arm, or a bad burn, but nothing life threatening. 

Eventually, as Eddie got older, he began to long for contact with other people, but the work he and his father did always took precedence over having a social life.  As time passed, Eddie began to resent what he considered his father's emotional blackmail.  Every time he brought up getting his own ship and seeing the colonies, his father would immediately start to list all the parts the ship needed, and how brittle his old bones felt.  It was only a matter of time before they had a falling out.

After the inevitable argument, Eddie took the small savings he had been setting aside and left his father's ship.  After buying a small junker ship, Eddie began to take small repair jobs to get the money he needed to make critical repairs to the craft. 

Growing up in space took it's toll on the young man though.  His bones and circulatory system are weaker than someone who grew up on-planet, as the artificial gravity in their ship was barely a fifth of Earth's.  His current ship is totally without gravity of any kind.  He intends to repair the maneuvering thrusters to the point where he can put the ship into a spin that would simulate gravity.  For now though, it sits, useless, in dock on a station orbiting Saturn.  On the plus side, Eddie gets to meet people.

Here's a couple of cool ship pictures.

Akhanu

Seems like more people are getting involved which is a good thing. :D

Silkgannon, I was reading as well your idea of the colony about the expedition of settlers you had in mind. I thought of providing some numbers as to help you in the details.

The Milky Way is HUGE (not that there aren't bigger galaxies, there are and they are many), diametering 100000 ly and Solsys is around 25000 ly far from its center. The spiral that contains Solsys, we can asume and round it up to be around 25000-30000 ly in length.
The closest stars to the Sun are Proxima Centauri (hence the name) and Alfa and Beta Centauri, all these at around 4.5 ly.
I'd guess that a colony of humans who set sail generations ago and traveled conventionally, would roam no further than 10 ly from Solsys. Considering the travel speed and the timescales involved, it's actually no joke at all and quite a heroic endeavour to cover that distance. Currently, Homo Sapiens Sapiens have not changed evolutionarily and/or genetically since 200000 years ago since they first appeared in Africa, despite the many many generations in between them and us today. However little, if there'll be a difference between the Earth humans and the colony humans it makes sense for these differences to be genetically engineered rather than genetically naturally evolved.
I hope these figures to be helpful when you chose the location of the colony relative to Earth. The more sensible these details are, the more this game will be a kick arse game. :)
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Combicon

Oh yeah, location relative to Earth...

Well, I'd have to put them in the spiral galaxy NGC 4414, which is located in the constellation Leo (Coma Berenices), and is 17,000 parsecs in diameter and approximately 20 million parsecs distant. Numbers wise, it's located around 62 million lightyears away. The planet itself is located around 14,420,300 miles from its own sun (roughly somewhere between Venus and Mercury from our sun). If I got any of those details wrong, please, correct me. n.n

Revolverman

Combicon, being outside the milky way galaxy is going to keep you from being able to interact with other people, those distances are simply insurmountable.

Revolverman

Quote from: HeretiKat on September 21, 2008, 03:42:59 PM
Is there a caste system on Earth or on the planets?

There is a soft one, kinda like you can move up if you work hard and have lots of luck, but if there, you cant really fall unless you damage the system (I.E. Government). Basically as long as you don't do anything to hurt the government, no one will stop you.

Akhanu

The Milky Way Galaxy

Each spiral branch is called an arm too and here are the names.

Common Name                Alternative Name
---------------------------------------------------
Norma Arm                       3 kiloparsec Arm
Scutum-Crux Arm            Centaurus Arm
Sagittarius Arm               Sagittarius-Carina Arm
Orion Arm                      Local Arm
Perseus Arm                      -
Cygnus Arm                    Outer Arm

-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Akhanu

Maybe an graphics artist can add a light grey grid with small reference numbers to the previous photo, upload it, and we can use it as a general map for the game? For me it can perfectly suit that role.

Also, the white center and the area around is shown in this other one.

Wikipedia has a higher resolution version too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Milky_Way_IR_Spitzer.jpg

Cited:
"This dazzling infrared image from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope shows hundreds of thousands of stars crowded into the swirling core of our spiral Milky Way galaxy. In visible-light pictures, this region cannot be seen at all because dust lying between Earth and the galactic center blocks our view."

That area can serve for any ideas for strange races and effects of high gravity not only from the planet, but the entire region of space and matter itself. Spacetime is denser. It could be the Inner Twilight Rim in our game. A place most of the galaxy species don't go or can't go or avoid as a plague to go for a myriad of reasons.

LoL, our Galaxy is so cool E. :D
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Revolverman

I have two problems with this Ruby. One Humans JUST developed warp drive, so it would seem strange a group of humans would be able to make its own warp drive before the UEG did and not be hounded by them. Second I don't like the idea of you having gates that can criss cross Milky way so easily. That puts you with HUGE advantages over every other race in the game.

I really love the idea of the planetless nation however.

RubySlippers

Back to the drawing board.

Damned GM ruining all my fun picky, picky, picky.... (grumbles)
>:(

RubySlippers

Revolverman

haha its hard to strike the balance between keeping players happy, and the race balance, but if you ever have a problem with a call I make TELL ME. I want everyone to be happy.

Combicon

Are we allowed to put our own planets into the milky way, or do we have to use the already existing ones there? :3

RubySlippers

So Time Lords are out of the question?  :(

just kidding

Revolverman

Quote from: Combicon on September 22, 2008, 10:32:18 AM
Are we allowed to put our own planets into the milky way, or do we have to use the already existing ones there? :3

just the stars close to Sol itself, 5 light years out, you can make you own.

Revolverman

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 22, 2008, 10:58:47 AM
So Time Lords are out of the question?  :(

just kidding

hahaha I was thinking perhaps sometime I should personify myself as a time lord, or Q :P

Combicon

//new question. xD
Hopefully the last one: As the planet of my race would be used to the hotter climates, it'd make more sense for it to be close to a sun, or at least two, as I'm guessing our sun is out of the question (for obvious reasons, aside from humans already discovering the species/race) would around Proxima Centauri be fine with you/everyone? :D

Revolverman

Akhanu

Multiple stars in that area is norm Combi so get one of the 3somes. :D Humans are about to solve the guess what this warp thing hype and stuff is all about and the thing is unstable. There are many "who know"s and "where"s.  Are there aliens anyhow once we get anywhere? lol

Multiple stars must be awesome thing to look at when one wakes up in the morning though. Humans would love that.

Meeh, those aliens.
:D
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Combicon

That's lucky. XD
But yaay.
I'm sure they wouldn't want to live there when they realise how hard it is to live there. XD
And I doubt the species would be too...erm, inviting about it...n.n
Don't expect a warm welcome. ;D

Revolverman

Combicon

Combicon

Okie. Just so you know, I'll not be able to post much on Monday to Wednesdays.
In the evening I should be able to though. So, around this time, maybe a few hourrs before. n.n

Revolverman

Grimm

Quote from: Akhanu on September 22, 2008, 04:14:37 PM
Multiple stars must be awesome thing to look at when one wakes up in the morning though. Humans would love that.

Especially if there's always one sun in the sky.  Humans would LOVE that.    ;D

Karnax

Laeori

Laeori

Ok, I need to clear it with the other fella of my race, but I think I like this one for our species

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/galleries/Graphics/Science%20Fiction/Ships/slides/SAUCER04.html

Thanks to Grimm for all the pics!

Grimm

No probs.  I've already posted my ship.  (It's the one on the right.)  In my mind, it's a little bit bigger than an RV.

Revolverman

Ok, all leave this call up to the players

Should I just Run the NPCs and random events in the game, or should I occanaly personify myself in the RP ala Q or a Time Lord.

CaptainErotica

I'd love to join in on this. It is the perfect game for me to flesh out my S&M Nekojins. If you still have room I'll work up a bio and other info.

Revolverman

Combicon

i suppose from those, I'd prefer them to have this kinda ship:
I'd also go for: http://www.starbase1.co.uk/galleries/Graphics/Science%20Fiction/Ships/slides/shadow.html

n.n

Laeori

Your game baby though, I think you'd enjoy it more if you were able to interact and enjoy it as well.  Plenty of GM's play characters,and just don't make decisions involving meta game knowledge... I know you can handle that *kisses*

RubySlippers

Association of Free Traders (AFT)

Based on the plutoid world Eris with its one small moon Dysnomia three times distant from the Sun than Pluto is the home world of the Association of Free Traders (AFT) the first of Earths deeper space colonies. Founded as a merchanting consortium and made up of free  spirits its Libertarian leanings put it at odds with the current core Earth government and many of the large corporate interests. They are not evil or malicious as a group they promote free trade and tend to focus on smaller level trading, running pleasure stations and recently deep space exploration. The AFS quickly borrowed the plans for the warp engine and made some major and fast improvements forming a smaller and less expensive version called the AFT Drive and marketing it as a less costly alternative on their own vessels. Giving them a noticeable edge for their merchants in space commerce and other areas of development.

Much like humans of Earth they are not outwardly much different they have bioware implants and cybernetics but were engineered as a race for space travel with extraordinary reflexes, sense of direction, flying instincts and mathematics that also carrys over to business. They are natural deal makers and able to figure out the margins and profits of complex deals in their heads. And they sport fine smaller ships using innovative cost cutting designs, development of new technologies and practical adaptions of new technologies. They also are heavily into corporate espionage and reverse engineering of new technologies often rethinking them to be cheaper and often more effective such as the warp drive.

They did develop three unique technologies. The first is cloaking forms namely designing ships that are harder to detect using sensors and popular with many members into smuggling, espionage or criminal activities. The second is the Hypertrael Tube this odd item allows a ship to be propeled one way into space at far higher speed and they recently started colonizing many areas of deep space, due to the energy needs the only one is in orbit of the home planet attached to the moon which has a reactor chain on it. This has given them an edge at claiming prime space first although there is a good chance a ship won't reach its destination safely. (Roughly a 20% chance a ship might navigate into some space body, if its not an AFT pilot it would be far higher.) The last technology is the Cyberdyne Gyroscope this advance AI unit and system gives ships far more control if attached to an AFT vessel and designed to work with the engines, in space travel it makes them very maneuverable and able to handle hostile space environments. This unfortunately doesn't work with the large colony vessels the largest ship AFT makes and rare, most are small transports and fighter craft (largest of these the Raptor Class Destroyer the most agile and formidable small warship known to the Sol system).

Most of the major assets in the Sol system are pleasure stations in the Asteroid Belt, some family or small group mining operations, cargo transort to remote locations large corporations don't bother with and security details. The largest asset is in Mars Orbit the free trade station Babel One a bastion of free trade, commerce, diplomacy, criminal activity and storage of trade goods. Several art colonies, science stations, small ship yards and repair facilities and hidden criminal pirate bases are not uncommon the AFT is open to all sorts of space traveling types and ideas.

Culturally they are Libertarian and have all sorts of coupling arrangements legal and protected under legal contracts. Most merchants have ships that cater to the family with this actually protecting them most corporations won't attack families. The government is minimal and effectively a corporation every new citizen is given one share of stock at birth and can buy more shares each giving one vote, and can elect the Board of Directors for their quadrant (sort of a district that is a virtual one its based on when you were born to balance out the population) and anyone can vote starting at age sixteen. They love modern technology although some favor staying natural save for the bio-engineering common for the race now almost natural, so you do have all types. Cloning and cross-splicing cloning is common for same sex couples with children grwon in birthing chambers.

The region well around their home planets is a safe zone and they support free trade but any armed vessel is likely to be challenged the largest amount of military force is centered on the planet. Among these the lethal Raptor Defense Squadron and a high level of planetary defenses and orbital defense satellites. The are free minded but is paranoid to the extreme about defense of their HQ planet.

Akhanu

I wonder where could I upload a modification of the Milky Way photo of the above posts where I've tried to add a grid. We could use it as a rough coordinate system for the game. It's quite basic but it could serve as a start.
Is it possible to upload it here on Elliquiy Forums?
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

CaptainErotica

You could use Photobucket. If you don't have an account send me th pic over IM and I can upload it and post the link.

RubySlippers

I must point out I was watching NOVA (tv science program on US public TV) and the center of our galazy should contain a massive black hole so going through the center of the galaxy is generally a BAD idea. At least I would think so.

Revolverman

I think if you get within like 10 Light years of the core, you will be crushed by the gravitational forces.

RubySlippers

If you don't run into one of the many millions of stars. Even AFT adventurers are not that stupid I would think.  ;)

Revolverman

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 23, 2008, 07:10:50 PM
If you don't run into one of the many millions of stars. Even AFT adventurers are not that stupid I would think.  ;)

haha, hate to lose any AFTs to foolish adventures.

RubySlippers

Of course we are loading hundreds of members in big colony ships and shooting them to a long tube structure into deep space hoping they can safely navigate to a distant system, well there is a 1 in 5 chance of making it.

RubySlippers

Basic common law if you get to a system first and before another race it can be claimed at least the choice squatters areas, if yiou have to lose a ship every now and then oh well.

;D

Revolverman

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 23, 2008, 07:25:41 PM
Basic common law if you get to a system first and before another race it can be claimed at least the choice squatters areas, if yiou have to lose a ship every now and then oh well.

;D

Something tells me your going to have a large empire.

RubySlippers

Not empire that is to strong a word more a large neutral version of Walmart if they had a fleet and the morals of the old East India Trading Company. And smaller ships have an easier time with the gyroscope technology which makes the super tube thing arguably safer but those would be independent efforts and one way. I suspect the AFT will have a very decentralized system of governence long term. Until warp travel is perfected and AFT steals ,er, "borrows" the technology.

Revolverman

RubySlippers

No scientific and engineering procurement and reverse engineering. We "borrow" the technology and figure out how to make said item cheaper, and maybe better at least for AFT use.

Akhanu

Now after I asked around about uploading photos and such, I finally came to the easiest solution, the wiki of elliquiy. My idea of a map for this game. If we like it we can use it.

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/index.php?title=Image:Mwmap-gautem.jpg

-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Revolverman

Hey, who wants a stock and commodities market in the game?

RubySlippers

Well I was thinking about a seedy but oh so popular market for people buying and selling anything in the game, can include services and the like (gambling, casinos, whoring) and legitimate ship maintenance and repair. Maybe in the asteroid belt.

Revolverman

what kinda space game would this be without intergalactic whoring? :P

Combicon

A very un-prostituted one.
And that's not very fun.

Grimm

Any major criminal organizations?  Or just one shadow-y, nebulous group that runs the black market?

Revolverman

There are lots of small ones, but they generally work together in a group known as the Union

RubySlippers

Who cares the Union, Earth Central Government or Mars Government etc. ALL the same to the AFT.

Narcotics or a life saving drug for medical centers is the same to us, odds are your going to get ripped off from either just the first is more honest.
:)

Hell AFT may have factions IN this Union. Its just another business area after all.
;)

Like I stated any goods can be sold or bought at my intended characters asteroid trading center, just give her a cut of the profits.

Revolverman

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 25, 2008, 06:25:17 AM
Who cares the Union, Earth Central Government or Mars Government etc. ALL the same to the AFT.

Narcotics or a life saving drug for medical centers is the same to us, odds are your going to get ripped off from either just the first is more honest.
:)

Hell AFT may have factions IN this Union. Its just another business area after all.
;)

Like I stated any goods can be sold or bought at my intended characters asteroid trading center, just give her a cut of the profits.

you know, a Sol/AFT war won't shock me :P

RubySlippers

War with the peaceful merchanting race of Sol?

(raptor destroyer dances around a big carrer nuking it with electromagentic gun fired torpedos, experimental anti-matter devices blowing it to hell as it elegantly turns to unleash hell on its escorts)

Thats all they are peaceful and innocent merchants adapted to space.  ;D

Revolverman

Ok the game is starting soon, go ahead and being posting your Players and/or Races in https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=341.0

The name of the game will be called SOL 1

Transgirlenstein

I mgiht be having some internet troubles for a day or two but will post it there as soon as they are over.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Combicon

Grimm

I went ahead and made an OOC and Character thread for everyone's ease.  Hope you don't mind, R-Man.

Atlus

I couldn't help but notice the OOC is in the light exotic section. Will this be true of the game as well?

Revolverman

I suspect so, if it needs be, it will moved

Thanks Grimm, use his OOC, sorry I was so busy last night,

Akhanu

I will repost my character's profile there very soon. But I was thinking maybe it's better to have separate threads for OOC and character descriptions. New players will find it easier to get to see who's playing what and what it is when they'll be reading the character thread. I'd expect the OOC thread to be populated with random posts as well and it might become a burden to find a player's description among the many pages.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Revolverman

hmmm, I think your right. I will go and make a OOC thread, the current thread will be for player info only.

Combicon

Should we put race descriptions in character threads?

Revolverman

If you feel your player has an interest in it, if not, no.

Destiny Ascension

Are applications still being accepted for this? :P
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Destiny Ascension

Alright, any chance I could get a rundown of how things work?
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

Revolverman

No prob.

Earth controls the Sol system, but has just developed Warp drive and is now beginning to explore the Milky way. You can be human, or a race of your own making.

Destiny Ascension

Any limits to the races? Like...all female or wha?

What about advances, is there conflict or no?

Revolverman

They cannot be too far ahead of the humans. besides that, no restrictions

Right now there is none, but who knows what happens? also, piracy and smuggling are common.

Destiny Ascension

Coool, I'll think something up.

Also, would maybeeeeeee, taking some information from another locations(Mass Effect...yeah...) and using that for a species basis, yes or no?

Revolverman

sweet, and no problem.

Atlus

Holy crap I missed alot. I have no idea where to start.

RubySlippers

You can start as Station X there is lots of opportunity there.  ;)

Vellencia

This idea has piqued my interest, If its possible I would like to register my willingness to join.  I can get working on a character once i get back from work tonight

Revolverman

cool, feel free to post as humans, or your own race.

Starchaser

Got room for one more? I'd like to play a privateer looking to assemble a crew.