A Real World Zombie Game (Interest Check)

Started by 1SAZ, April 04, 2013, 11:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1SAZ

This is not a game for superheroes or an "ex-special forces bad ass with an M60". This is not a game for a guy carrying around more ammo than he has body weight and a shotgun strapped to a shotgun because it would be cool. Nope, this is a story about average people surviving in a world where everyone wants to eat your face...

Welcome to Portland.

Known for micro-breweries and hipsters, Portland, Oregon started out as a little slice of Americana in the north-west of the United States. Too bad hipsters are notorious for contracting a zombifying form of rabies since they were zombies before it was cool. Players will be average students at the University of Portland, living their day to day lives as they try to survive the impossible. Players will have to scavenge for food and supplies while dodging the undead hoards that never really seem to thin out. Will the players choose to stay in the city where supplies are plentiful but danger is everywhere? Or will they decide to head to the woods where they will be safer but less likely to find what they need to survive? That's the question I pose to you as a player, amongst others.

To keep track of your supplies that you are carrying, I will have each player use http://innawoods.net/ to form their equipment sheet. I will also be keeping a list of supplies at your camp or in your vehicle if you are lucky enough to find one. You will only be required to keep track of your personal gear yourselves and the camp and vehicle list will be provided if asked. That is the only system I will be using as this is a story of survival, not killing every zombie you see.

If I see enough interest, I will be putting up a character sheet.

Lumasan

You know who I am, and you know I know about this. I don't think any more needs to be acknowledged roflmao.
My Ons and Offs/My Current Cravings 1x1's

"The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn, Is Just to Love, And Be Loved In Return" -Eden Abhez "Wild Boys"

Tamhansen

Sounds very interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this, I'm definitely interested
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

MasterOfMyFate

I'm interested, but a little disappointed. I click the link for the inventory system and they don't have bows and arrows other than crossbows. I wanted to make a guy who was big on archery most of his life. But I can make do with everything else.
"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

TheHangedOne

I'm interested. Will most likely make a sneaky chef of some sort.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Lithium

Vladimir valentine

amandafame

I'm interested an well just keep watching to see if this goes any where.

TheFonze

Interested and Have the same motives as the person above me, will watch and see how this goes first :3

Caitlin

I've wanted to join a group zombie game for ages now (it's actually the reason I joined E), but I'm concerned about my post rate. At the moment I can make two, maybe 3 posts a week at most. I also have a vacation at the end of this month and will be off line for 1.5 week then.

If the post rate isn't an issue then consider me interested. :-)

[edit]
As far as my equipment goes; I was thinking of something like this. (Please note that there is a bug with the arrows, it should only display 1 set of arrows, not 2.) For a character I'd like to play a student who studies to become a nurse and who relies more on her resourcefulness than combat skills to survive.

Caitlin

By the way, I had a fun idea; what if you give us a limit to what we can initially have? (Like having 1 pouch bag filled with 4 items and a single weapon.) Our characters would be forced to scavenge for additional supplies and that in turn can create quite the story already. It'd also add some realism to it all. For example, I selected a demper and laser sight as add-ons for my gun, but it'd make sense you wouldn't come across such things just like that. The same goes for the night vision goggles while the bottle of water would be more readily available. :-)

I hope you decide to give the story a shot, the more I think about it, the more I like the ideas you have. Let us know either way. ^_^

Sacredless

I'd join, but I would like a 9mm rifle, which the list does not list. In general, I don't like this editor; it's very user unfriendly, so I'll have to pass. :S

Caitlin

Once you figure out how it works it's actually quite easy. Just right click some thing and then click on the place where you want to deposit it. You could take a look at what I did to use that as an example Sacredless. :-)

Sacredless

I don't like how the weapons don't class things like ammo type or stuff. I know how to place stuff in the right place and so on, but I'm just very displeased with what I'm presented. Calibers are not listed for example, which is rather key information in the zombie apocalypse! Stuff like that; it just doesn't feel right at all.

Caitlin

Well, the game is supposed to be more survival based than combat based...

You do have a point though, but from what I can tell this tool is still in development as well. Most items also don't have their weight or even name listed and the total weight add up also doesn't work yet. There are also a couple of other bugs, but with some fantasy I think we can make this work for those who want to join. The item names aren't listed anyway when they're equiped, you could just pick a weapon that looks like the one you want and give it your own name in the story.

In the end it's just a tool to support the story, but I doubt the story itself will be based on the items or weapons you're carrying with you. When I write my posts I don't write something like 'Caitlin fired her MA60 with extended magazines, lasersights, scope and grenade launcher' but more something like 'Caitlin fired her rifle'.

Tamhansen

I agree. Personally I dont like depending on any system or listing too much. For me it get's in the way of a good story. I'm sure the GM can adjudicate my actions well enough.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Caitlin

1SAZ, there seems to be quite a bit of interest. Could you give us an update about whether or not you'd like to start with this game? :-)

Caitlin

I'm withdrawing my interest since I joined another zombie game. Good luck to all of you though!