News:

Main Menu

Tattoo Question

Started by MagicalPen, July 16, 2012, 04:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

So, I don't have a Tattoo. I am thinking about getting one in the middle of my bike Trip, namely on my day off in Cardiff. I'd be getting this: http://www.clker.com/cliparts/s/H/4/G/U/R/welsh-dragon-hi.png  with the numbers "11 - 13 - 11" under it as its the day my dad died and he was born and raised in Cardiff (thus my thinking - "why not get a tattoo in the City he was born in to memorialize his death?"). A quick google search shows a few parlors/tattoo shops (whatever you want to call them) within walking distance of where I will be staying (the one I think I'll go to is right across from Cardiff Castle). Its a big commitment and I am not committed quite yet, but here is my question.

I'll be riding for the following 2 - 3 weeks, wearing a cycling jersey. I plan on getting the tattoo on the back of my shoulder (shoulder blade area) so was wondering - is it safe/good idea to get a tattoo in such location before doing that? My main concern being that they suggest wearing loose fitting clothing until it scabs and falls off.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

MagicalPen

There - this will be the Tattoo -

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sasquatch421

The main question is how is the cycle ride set up? You will need to be able to clean it as you ride afterwards. I used unscented Dial antibacterial soap and unscented Lubiderm lotion on all 6 of my tats. Then again every artist seems to recommend a different way of taking care of ink these days.

My concern is that your shirt rubs it as it scabs. At first it might be uncomfortable, but forcing the scabs off before they are ready to fall on their own might mess up the ink. Oh and if anyone offers to set the ink don't let them....

Kuroneko

You'll need to keep it out of the sun for the first month, as well as soaking it in water and having water spray directly on it for two weeks or the color will fade.  So, be sure you wear a shirt that will block the sunlight as you ride. 

A good tattoo will peel like a sunburn, but it shouldn't scab.  That's a sign it isn't healing properly.  Scabs will take color off with them.  I don't know if they sell Aquaphor where you are, but it's very good for the ointment you'll need for the first two days.  After that, any lotion is good, just don't use it too often.  Tatts need to breathe to heal properly.  Many tattoo shops have a favorite product they recommend, like Tattoo Goo.

Honestly, I would spend some time looking at the work of artists located where you plan to get it done before you make a decision.  Getting a good artist is very important, as the art is permanent.  And the good ones usually have a waiting list of months to even years. If there isn't one there who's work you like, it might be worthwhile to wait and look around elsewhere until you do.

Good luck and remember, tattoos are addictive ;)   
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

MagicalPen

The shirt will protect it from the sun. As far as being able to wash it everyday, there should be showers at the campsites I'll be staying at plus the random B&B.

As for tattoo shops, I am only looking at those with websites (i figure in this day and age, if you don't have a website you probably aren't worth visiting) along with ones that are within walking distance of where I am staying. I arrive around 1PM so only have the rest of the day to get it done if I choose to get a tattoo.

As for the rubbing, thats why I was thinking of putting some sort of non-stick pad over it. Should be able to breath that way while also not rubbing. When I had serious sunburn on my shoulders (2 lays of blisters) I did the same thing - a pad on top of it to prevent rubbing but not sealed all the way around so it could still breath.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Oniya

The question is, will the artist be able to fit you in?  As I understand it, most tattoo parlors of any repute are not 'walk-ins', you make an appointment.  I also remember hearing people talk about getting the linework done, and having to come back for the color.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MagicalPen

Glad I am asking questions ahead of time!

There is certainly no Tattoo place local for me. I did send an enquirey to one of the Tattoo places in Cardiff but no response yet. I think I might send one to another Tattoo place to see if they are a little more active online. I can certainly explain the situation to the Artist and see what they say.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sasquatch421

How far away is Cardiff from you? If you can go ahead of time you should take a look at the shops. Then you can see how the artists work and more importantly if the studios are clean and well maintained. It will also be easier for you to show off what you want and get a price for it. Keep in mind that many different artists have different strengths.

Kuroneko

Quote from: MagicalPen on July 17, 2012, 08:45:41 AM

As for the rubbing, thats why I was thinking of putting some sort of non-stick pad over it. Should be able to breath that way while also not rubbing. When I had serious sunburn on my shoulders (2 lays of blisters) I did the same thing - a pad on top of it to prevent rubbing but not sealed all the way around so it could still breath.

Ehhh, that's not really going to work for a tattoo.  The artist will cover it with either a pad or a plastic wrap when you get it done, but that has to come off 2 - 4 hours later and then stay off.  They tend to seep plasma, and the last thing you want is a pad stuck to the skin.  I've gone through it, and it's not fun.  You have to soak it off then, and that leeches color from the tattoo, resulting in rework later.  Left open, the tattoo will quickly 'seal' and in about 2 or 3 days, start to peel.  As long as the shirt isn't tight, rubbing shouldn't be an issue.  I just had a new one done in Japan on my thigh and spent the next two weeks walking 10 miles a day, and just made sure to wear looser pants.  It peeled and healed just fine.

It's best to call tattoo shops rather than email them.  Many are simply too busy to reply, especially if they're booked months in advance.  Then you have a quick answer and know if you need to look elsewhere.  You're going to live with it for the rest of your life, so it's best to do your research and get an artist you have confidence in, even if it doesn't work out with your travel plans. 

Aleph

Speaking as someone who spent nine hours under the needles, I would go so far as to ask if it's worth getting the work done at a time when it suits someone you're absolutely happy with, rather than seeing who'll be available at the important point. What you'll lose in temporal significance, you will gain in quality and maintenance.

Or to put it another way, is it worth going to a really good tattoo artist at the end of your trek?

Also, I don't know if the name changes in different markets, but I used Bepanthen when I got my work done and I recommend it. It's basically an anti-inflammatory (sometimes used against nappy rash).

Either way, hats off, I think it's a really worthy piece of body art. I hope you're happy with the end result, whichever way you go.

Trieste

I used neosporin on my tattoo and was instructed to wash it in warm and then cool water twice a day. It was itchy as fuck. I don't know that I would want to be sweating into it - I got the tattoo before I was really into exercise and working out, but sweating is already kind of itchy. I would hate to add that to the itchiness of a tat. (Don't scratch, of course. My tattoo artist recommended slapping the area when it itched, and that worked like a charm.)

MagicalPen

Cardiff is in Wales, I am in the US of A ^-^ so that might be a problem as far as getting a look around before embarking on getting a tattoo.

My alternate is getting a Tattoo in Ireland (Dublin, more likely) since it looks like I may be able to get a full day or two in in Dublin (or in Galway, on my rest day at Aunts house).

If you watch the Tour de France, I will be wearing that sort of outfit for most of the day everyday. I should be able to wash the tattoo with a wet rag in the morning and in the evening (at the campsites/B&Bs) its just a matter of when I get the Tattoo done.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Kuroneko

You'll only really need to wash it the first couple of days, and then it should be with warm water and your fingers, nothing more abrasive than that.  It's an open wound, after all.  After that, whatever shower you take will be enough. I second the slapping for the itching.  It works great. 

By checking out I think we mean taking a look at their websites and portfolios, asking about sterile conditions and so on rather than actually going to the shop. If you're willing to get work done in the U.S. rather than overseas, I'm sure that we could all make artist recommendations to you and find someone closeby.  It's a good idea to do it that way as most artists will want to check their work after it heals and provide free touch ups.  Otherwise, you have to pay to have that done.  I'm not trying to discourage you at all.  I've had two tattoos done in Japan and was doing a lot of walking after each one and everything went fine.  I just want you to get a nice tattoo that you'll be really happy with.   ;)

MagicalPen

I don't own a car and I think the closest Tattoo place to me is over an hour away by bus, if not further, and thats only during the summer months when the Pass is open. Part of the memory is getting said Tattoo done in the place of my Fathers birth in order to honor his memory.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Trieste

It's like this: if you don't have the chance to check out the tattoo place beforehand, you're not going to want something elaborate. If you want something elaborate, you're going to want to be able to check out the shop beforehand and have the ability to possibly go in for multiple sessions.

It sounds like the latter is not an option for you, so you will want to keep it very simple. I would recommend getting the date tattooed while you're in Cardiff, and then have the red dragon done at a shop that you can check out and return to if needed. You do not want a rushed tattoo, especially a memorial tattoo. I don't think that caring for the tattoo afterward is going to be most of the problem - just make sure the ink can breathe and you keep it clean. You treat it like you would treat a sunburn, for the most part. You make sure no clothing rubs it, you make sure not to scratch it, and you keep it clean and moisturized.

However, the difficult part for you is going to be getting quality, safe work with the deadlines you've placed on yourself. It's my understanding that red is tricky, and can sometimes take several coloring sessions to come out nice and vivid. It's also my understanding that a tattoo like that is going to take more than one session to complete. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to go for that. It might work - it might be fine. You might be able to do it all in one go and have it be fine, but that will be if you are lucky. Since this is a permanent mark on your body, you want to give yourself the best chance of it looking fantastic for the rest of your life, which means planning for the time that you have and sticking to it.

Getting simply the date in black ink will be really hard for the artist to screw up, and it will be much easier to care for while you finish your bike trek. If it were me, having already gotten a tattoo and having seen what goes into even my simple shaded tattoo, that's what I would do.

Kuroneko

I second what Trieste said.  It's a really sensible idea (though I've seen my fair share of screwed up lettering). 

Since we're all saying pretty much the same thing about research and care and what not, and because you seem set on doing this no matter what, I'm going to bow out of the conversation and wish you the best on your quest to make this happen.  My experiences in Japan were really good ones, and I was able to locate a really talented artist via the web (and with some luck), so I know it can be done.  :-)

Good luck, MP! 

edit:  If it helps you at all, I found the work at this shop in Cardiff to be consistently good, through all the artists - http://www.physicalgraffiti.co.uk/site/ .  With five artists, the chance of an opening increases.  One guys specilalizes in portraits, but the color, shading and line work is good throughout them all. 

MagicalPen

Thats why I am only looking at Shops that have a website. A few of them have pictures from the inside of the shop, a gallery of the artists, and reviews from customers. Not every website link is active, which makes me question whether the shop still exists, but two of the shops have responded to my first inquiry. Thy are http://www.physicalgraffiti.co.uk/site/ and http://www.ink-cognito.com/index.php - with Aaron from the latter being the one who is writing the emails. His gallery has a lot of animal work which I think makes sense for the Dragon. Based on the size of the image (see second post) he said theres about 1.5 hrs worth of work on it. Will try and get more details today/tomorrow (working on 7 hour time difference, good thing I get up at 7AM everyday).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

So its set. Going to get the Cymru Tattoo done when in Cardiff at Physical Graffiti by Sam Fisher (oddly, his name immediately makes me think of Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher). Going to take a little under 2-hrs to complete and the person I've been in contact with has been quite helpful. August 31st is just over a month away ^-^ I'm excited, first tattoo and all, especially since it honors my dad and will travel the entire length of Wales on my back. I'll even try and visit the street he grew up on in Cardiff if I have the time.

I did more research on the studio and decided I liked Phyiscal Graffiti the best. Lots of positive reviews online, nothing negative, and the guy answering my emails was very helpful - communication is always a good sign to me. Answered my questions and offered me suggestions. So now I am booked for August 31st. Gives me 4 hours to explore Cardiff once I arrive, then Tattoo time, then dinner before perhaps exploring Cardiff at night.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Beguile's Mistress

I truly hope your time is magical :-) on this visit and your journey safe and easy.

Think about writing it up for the Herald & Post while you're at it. ;D

MagicalPen

I'm certainly going to be blogging about my trip as I ride, I think. Pictures will late until later, but I won't be posting a picture of the tattoo right away. My mother, for instance, would probably kill me...so I'd rather finish my trip and show my Aunt (her sister, who has one) before I break the news to her ^-^ My immediate family generally disproves of Tattoos, but this is my thing (and I have wanted one for a few years, just never knew what I wanted until this - in memory of my dad passing). But yes, I am getting anxious as my trip starts in a mere few weeks. So much to do, so little time! I think I have my signature on here linked to my blog. The laptop I will be using is a Mac, so I've never uploaded a pic onto it from my camera - might test it out while I go, but unsure of internet access for  majority of the second half of my trip (post Cardiff visit).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry