Suicide Squad: Super-Villain System Game M&M2E

Started by PhantomPistoleer, January 05, 2019, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

This is a smutty Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition Game.  Characters are PP150, PL10.  If you want to play but need help creating a character, please let me know either on this thread or in PM.  The game takes place in a modified DC Universe.

Timeline of Events

For simplicity's sake, this game takes place in 2018.  The setting is similar to the DC Universe as depicted in the Young Justice cartoon, with some modifications.  Like in Young Justice, events from a number of alternate universes have already happened in this universe.  Consider this universe to be an amalgamation of the Young Justice universe, as well as Wildstorm, Charlston, Milestone, Vertigo, and the Watchmen.

Distant Past
-- Around 48,000 BC: Vandal Savage is born.
-- Around 2000 BC: The Blue Beetle scarab arrives on Earth.
-- Around 1,300 BC: Teth-Adam is born.

12th-15th century
-- Around 1100: Wotan is born.
-- Around 1200: Fall of Camelot.  Jason Blood becomes the Demon.
-- 1310-1410: Ra's al Ghul is born.

19th century
-- 1845: American Civil War.
-- 1899: Wild West is tamed.  Heroes like Jonah Hex are forgotten.

20th century
1938: Crimson Avenger becomes the first public Mystery Man.
1939: Dan Garrett finds the scarab in Bialya and becomes the first Blue Beetle.[9]
1940: Justice Society of America is formed, and disbands in 1951.  The team consisted of the Sandman, Green Lantern, Red Tornado, Wildcat, Dr. Fate, Atom, Hourman, and Dr. Mid-nite.
1941: The All-Star Squadron is formed, and disbands in 1946.  The team consisted of Wonder Woman, Liberty Belle, Mister America, Blue Beetle, Dr. Occult, Johnny Quick, and Judo Master.
1955: Martian Manhunter is transported to earth in a Zeta-Beam accident.
1977: Keene Act passes, outlawing superheroes.
1980: Atlantis is re-discovered.
1984: Stormwatch founded.  The team consisted of Apollo, Midnighter, Jack Hawksmoor, Engineer, and Swift.  The team is still in operation.
1992: The Authority is founded.  The team consisted of Jenny Sparks, the Doctor, Freefall, and Grifter.  This team staged an unsuccessful coup d'etat on the United States.
1997: Keene Act repealed.
1998: Superman starts his career at the age of 21.
1999: Batman begins his career at the age of 21.

21st century
2001: Diana (Wonder Woman) returns to her crime-fighting career.
2003: The Justice League is founded by Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter.
2004: Green Arrow, Hawkman, and Hawkwoman join the Justice League.
2006: After the tragedy at Haly's Circus, Robin (Dick Grayson) begins his career at age 9.
2006: The Justice League becomes known to the public.
2008: Gorilla City is discovered.  Zatara, Captain Atom, Black Canary, John Stewart, Captain Marvel and Red Tornado join the Justice League.
2010: The Justice League establishes the Teen Titans, an off-shoot superhero team of teenagers.  Doctor Fate, Plastic Man, Icon, Atom, and Red Arrow join the Justice League.
2011:  Ted Kord is killed by Deathstroke and Sportsmaster.  Rocket and Zatanna join the Justice League.
2016:  Kid Flash dies.
2017:  Fire, Ice, Hardware, Engineer, Batwoman, and Katana join the Justice League.  The Justice League splits into two forces: terrestrial and intergalactic forces.
2018:  Nightwing forms the Outsiders.  Batman forms Batman, Incorporated.

Premise:  I am interested in running a system game for a group of highly expendable criminals who are sent on secret missions for the U.S. government.  These missions are incredibly lethal.  In exchange for their service, the villains will have their criminal sentences reduced.

Caveats:

• The villains will be under the direct control of the American government;
  • To control the villains, the American government has implanted all of them with subcutaneous explosives at the base of their skulls;
  • Furthermore, the American government wouldn't select villains who could easily remove the explosive, like through shrinking, phasing, or shape-shifting;
  • Generally speaking, the villains in this game are usually not the most powerful villains running around; and,
  • The villains would all be previously imprisoned.

Character Submissions
As for character submissions, just try to get what your character is and does together and I will put it into a character sheet format that makes sense to me.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Questions:

1.  I want to run the game using an easily accessible heroic system.  I am familiar with the HERO system and Mutants and Masterminds.  Does anyone have suggestions?

2.  I want to make the game really smutty.  What ways can a game like this be made realistically as smutty as possible?

3.  I want to run the game in a gritty setting, rather than a four-color one.  Heroes aren't perfect in this world.  Given that, would any one like to design their more heroic enemies?

4.  Is there any interest in a game like this?  What would generate more interest, do you think?

Systems:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

• Mutants and Masterminds 1e, 2e, or 3e
  • HERO System
  • Champions
  • Heroes Unlimited (Palladium)
  • Others?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

HockeyGod

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 05, 2019, 06:26:52 PM
1.  I want to run the game using an easily accessible heroic system.  I am familiar with the HERO system and Mutants and Masterminds.  Does anyone have suggestions?

This premise sounds interesting to be, but alas I am not a system player so I can't help with this question.

2.  I want to make the game really smutty.  What ways can a game like this be made realistically as smutty as possible?

I think the premise makes it "smutty" or at least adult - I'm not sure I'd use the word smutty as, to me, that makes it cheesey/trashy. If you mean a lot of sexual content, these are evil villains who likely use S/M and other sexual devices to their benefits. The comics essentially downplay what would be reality.

3.  I want to run the game in a gritty setting, rather than a four-color one.  Heroes aren't perfect in this world.  Given that, would any one like to design their more heroic enemies?

I think that if you are using either Marvel or DC there are heroes that are incredibly dark - Batman, Deadpool, etc. They have very few qualms with killing and such.

4.  Is there any interest in a game like this?  What would generate more interest, do you think?

Like I said, this is an interesting concept and heroes RPs are doing quite well in E - sadly many fizzle out pretty quickly after starting. If I recall there was/is a game similar to this, but you'd have to look back through the recruitment thread.

Mathim

I was actually waiting a bit to start a similar game, about Marvel's Thunderbolts, who are basically the Marvel version of the Suicide Squad from what I've read.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Ixy

I'd love to join in this, Phantom, though it's most appealing if it's with original PCs (regardless if it's a DC or original setting).  I don't have anything against DC, it's just that I think we'd more creative players that way. 

Have you settled on any guidelines for creation?

PhantomPistoleer

I am most familiar with M&M2E, and although it would be set in the DC Universe, characters would have to be original.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Brittlby

Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Ampere

Sounds fascinating, I do have a soft spot of erotic superheroics (and it might be nice to play a villainess for a change, especially if there's a risk of ending up in all sorts of sexy shenanigans).

I'd probably go with M&M or potentially Heroes/Champions (although that will no doubt involve some very hard maths).
Art is magic delivered from the lie of being truth.

O&O's

Conundrum

I am interested in a smutty heroics system game though hsave little experience with any of the superhero systems.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Ixy

System-wise, I've only ever tried Mutants and Masterminds 2e. I don't know that I've ever seen a game get off the ground, though.

PhantomPistoleer

I think that people like 2e M&M because it is highly customizable and it feels familiar (it being a D20 game).
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Callie Del Noire

Part of me wants to build up a port of a teleporter criminal I tried to play a few months back before my partner vanished

indarkestknight

Not super familiar with the systems in question, tbh.

Would a Rick Flagg/Katana type also be welcome as well, or would that be more the purview of an NPC/GMPC?

EDIT: I will note that out of the system options, M&M 3e is the only one that turned up a freely available set of rules in an online srd when run through google. I didn't look super hard, though.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: indarkestknight on January 14, 2019, 08:37:10 PM
Not super familiar with the systems in question, tbh.

Would a Rick Flagg/Katana type also be welcome as well, or would that be more the purview of an NPC/GMPC?

It would be more of a GM or co-GM sort of thing.  I suppose it’s acceptable, but that person would have to help reign in the other players.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Conundrum

I think have a character concept.  I am planning to play a brick, your standard strong/tough muscle of a group, and with a thing for women in tight spandex.

He discovered his powers relatively young so never put much effort into school figuring his supernatural strength and toughness would carry him through life.  Turns out it didn't, supers naturally aren't allowed to compete with human athletes.  With that falling through he decided to go for the superhero life and sell out.  He did not have the temperament for it and was never marketable being not strong enough to go into the big leagues and with an overfilled niche.  Never being particularly moral in the first place it was easy to turn to crime and was pretty good at it after he got fed up with construction work.  Eventually though he got taken down when some heroes figured out a bit of a routine of his and caught him at a brothel after a big score where he was banging hookers dressed like superheroines.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Brittlby

Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

indarkestknight

My current concept is inspired by a combination of City of Villains' Lord Recluse, Doc Ock, and Iron Spider. Basically a dude with massive cybernetic spider-legs attached to his spine/back.

Ampere

My plan was to try a psychic booster/vampire crossover, who I suppose would probably fit better as a henchwench than a main villain type.

O&O's

indarkestknight

Quote from: Ampere on January 15, 2019, 01:53:16 AM
My plan was to try a psychic booster/vampire crossover, who I suppose would probably fit better as a henchwench than a main villain type.

Hey, Harley started as a henchwench and these days she's a headliner! Maybe a Suicide Squad is a chance for her to step out of her boss's shadow.

Quote from: indarkestknight on January 14, 2019, 08:37:10 PM
EDIT: I will note that out of the system options, M&M 3e is the only one that turned up a freely available set of rules in an online srd when run through google. I didn't look super hard, though.

Further point in favor of M&M3E is that there's an DC book with stats for a ton of canon characters, which could save you a lot of time building canon DC characters if you can get your mitts on it.

Ixy

I'm thinking a human/reptile hybrid hit-woman, product of an off-books government experiment in Southeast Asia.  Definitely a stealh-killer type.

PhantomPistoleer

Character Creation Rules

System:  Mutants and Masterminds 2e
    Player Level: 10
    Power Points: 150

Notice:  Leveling rules have been modified.  Generally, earning 15 power points (pp) results in gaining a level.  In M&M, earning a level results in an increase of your caps.  However, in this game, convicts will not be able to increase their PL through leveling.  Consider that, in this world, Batman is a PL 10 character with an absurd amount of PP (300+); Superman is a PL 15 character because he is Kryptonian; New Gods are PL 14; Amazonians and Martians are PL 13; Atlanteans and Homo Magi are PL 12; and Thanagarians are PL 11.  Earth’s meta-humans can only usually achieve PL10.

Cap Theory:  M&M2e’s versatility allows players to make versatile characters, but such versatility often creates disparity between characters if they don’t follow cap conventions.  These cap conventions aren’t designed to prevent convicts from being on par with existing heroes, but rather to inform players about where they stand in the world.

• Hand-to-Hand Caps:  +16 (Greatest Martial Artist Alive on Earth: Lady Shiva, Richard Dragon, Karate Kid), +15 (Master of All Martial Arts: Bronze Tiger, Batman, Cassandra Cain), +14 (Master of Many Martial Arts: Nightwing, Kobra, Black Canary), +13 (Master of Several Martial Arts: Cheshire, Deathstroke, Tigress), +12 (Master of a Martial Art: Katana, Green Arrow), +10 (Olympic Level Athlete: Mr. Terrific, Blue Beetle), +8 (Extensive Training), +6 (Military or Police Training), +4 (Amateur).  Consider that most martial artists trade-off hitting power for the ability to make contact through a high melee bonus.  For example, under most circumstances, Batman can only do 5 damage on a +15 attack.
    • Ranged Attack Caps:
    Marksmanship conventions are similar to hand-to-hand conventions.  +16 (Greatest Marksman on the Planet: Green Arrow, Deathstroke, Deadshot); +15 (Among the Greatest: Merlyn, Shado, Connor Hawke), +14 (Nationally Renowned: Red Arrow, Tigress, Batman), +13 (Nearly Perfect Marksman: Jonah Hex, Nightwing, Jason Todd), +12 (Expert Marksman: Speedy, Arrowette, Robin), +10 (Olympic Athlete), +8 (Extensive Training), +6 (Military or Police Training)
    [/list]

Always seeking 5E games.
    O/O

Ampere

Fix

Background:

Yuliya 'Fix' Voronova was part of a now long-since forgotten cold war program to create enhanced operatives to counter the overwhelming American supremacy in terms of superpowered beings. Radiation, chemical agents based on WWII era experimentation as well as cutting edge psycho-surgery and other less-conventional methods were used to transform the woman during development in the artificial womb in which she was grown.

Cryogenically frozen and stored in a bunker somewhere in East Germany, Yuliya was forgotten in the chaos following the collapse of the Berlin Wall. She was only discovered several years later, by an aspiring villain who was searching for forbidden technology and potential blackmail material. Unable to control her lust ability, Yuliya's awakening was a rather torrid affair. It was as if the long, unsupervised period at close to absolute zero had somehow supercharged her abilities, allowing her to effectively feed on the arousal she was able to induce in others. Unfortunately, other than that, the young Russian is now completely unable to experience emotion.

When she is able to hold this ability in check, Yuliya can operate as the GRU had originally planned, bolstering and boosting her teammate's abilities or locating powered targets from whom she can steal energy.

Personality:

Yuliya recovered surprisingly quickly when she found herself living in a world she didn't recognise and had never expected. Her emotional numbness is more of a problem, although paradoxically, despite recognising all she has lost, Yuliya can only analyse that loss from an entirely clinical perspective. That said, she has a very select skill set and a market keen to offer employment. Prior to her incarceration, Yuliya was working on her plan to acquire a sufficient number of powered captives to feed her addiction. To say that she is now ravenous, would be an arch understatement and she is willing to do pretty much anything in order to get what she needs.

STR: 10
    DEX: 16
    CON: 10
    INT: 14
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 20

Toughness: +0
    Fortitude: +0
    Reflex: +4
    Will: +6
    Attack Bonus: +5
    Grapple: +8
    Defence Bonus: +5

Initiative: +3

Bluff: +6
    Concentration: +5
    Diplomacy: +6
    Disguise: +5
    Escape Artist: +3
    Gather Information: +6
    Handle Animal: +5
    Intimidate: +5
    Perform (Dance): +6
    Sense Motive: +10
    Sleight of Hand: +4
    Stealth: +3

Feats:
    Attractive: 3 (+12)
    Distract (Bluff):
    Fascinate (Perform):
    Wrestling Finesse:
    Fighting Style - Wrestling:
    Teamwork: 3

Powers:
    Fatigue (10) - Ahegao (Progression, Sedation) DC:20
    Boost (10) - All Powers, Tiring
    Immunity (5) - Emotion Effects
    Drain (10) - Leech - All Powers, Side Effect (2): arousal DC:20
    Emotion Control (Lust) 10 - Uncontrolled DC:15
    Power Detection: Preternatural, Ranged

Load:
    33/66/100/200/500

O&O's

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ampere on January 15, 2019, 02:24:55 PM
    Still searching for the right image.

Fix

Background:

Yuliya 'Fix' Voronova was part of a now long-since forgotten cold war program to create enhanced operatives to counter the overwhelming American supremacy in terms of superpowered beings. Radiation, chemical agents based on WWII era experimentation as well as cutting edge psycho-surgery and other less-conventional methods were used to transform the woman during development in the artificial womb in which she was grown.

Cryogenically frozen and stored in a bunker somewhere in East Germany, Yuliya was forgotten in the chaos following the collapse of the Berlin Wall. She was only discovered several years later, by an aspiring villain who was searching for forbidden technology and potential blackmail material. Unable to control her lust ability, Yuliya's awakening was a rather torrid affair. It was as if the long, unsupervised period at close to absolute zero had somehow supercharged her abilities, allowing her to effectively feed on the arousal she was able to induce in others. Unfortunately, other than that, the young Russian is now completely unable to experience emotion.

When she is able to hold this ability in check, Yuliya can operate as the GRU had originally planned, bolstering and boosting her teammate's abilities or locating powered targets from whom she can steal energy.

Personality:

Yuliya recovered surprisingly quickly when she found herself living in a world she didn't recognise and had never expected. Her emotional numbness is more of a problem, although paradoxically, despite recognising all she has lost, Yuliya can only analyse that loss from an entirely clinical perspective. That said, she has a very select skill set and a market keen to offer employment. Prior to her incarceration, Yuliya was working on her plan to acquire a sufficient number of powered captives to feed her addiction. To say that she is now ravenous, would be an arch understatement and she is willing to do pretty much anything in order to get what she needs.

STR: 10
    DEX: 16
    CON: 10
    INT: 14
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 20

Toughness: +0
    Fortitude: +0
    Reflex: +4
    Will: +6
    Attack Bonus: +5
    Grapple: +8
    Defence Bonus: +5

Initiative: +3

Bluff: +6
    Concentration: +5
    Diplomacy: +6
    Disguise: +5
    Escape Artist: +3
    Gather Information: +6
    Handle Animal: +5
    Intimidate: +5
    Perform (Dance): +6
    Sense Motive: +10
    Sleight of Hand: +4
    Stealth: +3

Feats:
    Attractive: 3 (+12)
    Distract (Bluff):
    Fascinate (Perform):
    Wrestling Finesse:
    Fighting Style - Wrestling:
    Teamwork: 3

Powers:
    Fatigue (10) - Ahegao (Progression, Sedation) DC:20
    Boost (10) - All Powers, Side Effect (2) Arousal, Tiring
    Immunity (5) - Emotion Effects
    Drain (10) - Leech - All Powers, DC:20
    Emotion Control (Lust) 10 - Uncontrolled DC:15
    Power Detection: Preternatural, Ranged

I have no qualms with this character as is.  Do you mind if I use your character to create the character sheet template that I want people to use?  And the skills, are they just ranks or do you add the ranks and the ability modifiers?

Everyone:  Ampere’s character is one of the most naturally beautiful women on the planet.  Her mere presence makes normal people super lusty. 

This is a fun character, and it’s exactly the sort of character I wanted to see in this game.
    Always seeking 5E games.
    O/O

Ampere

That's good to know - I've added the ranks and ability mods (but not the bonus for attractiveness).

O&O's

Ixy

Jīn huán shé (Krait)

Background:
    Born and raised in a series of underground bunkers and hangars in Malaysia, Jin's life was like summer camp-- with small arms training, snakes, infections, tiger pits, knife-fights over meals-- with a group of other children her age, all products of the same off-books project: Glass Helix.  Predicting the increase in violent conflict among super-powered forces, national factions, and terrorist radicals, Glass Helix's intent was to create a repeatable process for the creation of meta-humans, to condition them for loyal service, and provide them with advanced training in evolving counter-meta tactics-- all in flagrant violation of international law-- with the ultimate goal of profiting from their endeavors and contracting out their services.

Krait, however, was more clever than the others, though just as callous.  She was also patient, and she was determined.  It took a few weeks of planning... creating a cache of live-fire ammo, saving rice and water for weeks, pre-digging traps off the main trails... but she executed a plan to seize her freedom, and just past midnight, she killed all of her teammates, two trainers, and four guards before disappearing into the jungles.  Twelve days later, she had successfully set traps, circled back, and ambushed her pursuers repeatedly until the survivors abandoned chase.

For the next few years, she traveled from Thailand to China, doing the most brutal wet-work for the most ruthless people imaginable.  She finally went freelance and took her career across SE Asia and, eventually, to Mexico, the Caribbean, and the USA.

(more developing)

Mercenary Assassin
    Identity: Public (in certain circles)

APPEARANCE
    Size: Medium
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 115
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Amber

POWER LEVEL
    Power Level: 10
    Power Points: 150
    Max Attack: 10
    Max Defense: 10
    Max Save DC: 10
    Max Toughness: 10

ABILITIES
    STR: 16 (+3/+0)
    DEX: 26 (+8/+3)
    CON: 18 (+4/+2)
    INT: 12 (+1)
    WIS: 10 (+0)
    CHA: 12 (+1)

COMBAT
    Attack 10 (Melee 10, Ranged 11) [Unarmed +3 (Bruise)]
    Defense 10 (5 flat-footed)
    Initiative 16

SAVES
    Toughness 10 (10 flat-footed)
    Fortitude 9
    Reflex 13
    Will 5

SKILLS

Bluff  (+1)
    Climb 8 (+11)
    Computers 4 (+5)
    Concentration  (+0)
    Diplomacy  (+1)
    Disable Device 9 (+10)
    Disguise  (+1)
    Drive 2 (+10)
    Escape Artist 2 (+10)
    Gather Info  (+1)
    Handle Animal  (+1)
    Intimidate  (+1)
    Knowledge
    -Current Events 1 (+2)
    -Streetwise 4 (+5)
    -Tactics 9 (+10)
    -Technology 9 (+10)
    Notice  (+0)
    Pilot 1 (+9)
    Search  (+1)
    Sense Motive  (+0)
    Sleight of Hand 1 (+9)
    Stealth 2 (+10)
    Survival  (+0)
    Swim 1 (+4)

LANGUAGES
    English, Thai, French, Chinese (Mandarin)

FEATS
    Attractive (1)
    Uncanny Dodge (1)
    Evasion (1)
    Attack Focus, Ranged (1)

POWERS
    POWER[7] Regeneration (Persistent, Regrowth)
    POWER[2] Super-Speed
    [a] [2] Leaping
    [a] [2] Quickness
    [a] [2] Swimming
    POWER[3] Super-Senses (Acute olfactory)
    [a] [3] Super-Senses (Infravision)
    POWER[6] Protection
    ARRAY[4] Concealment (Blending)
    POWER[10] Enhanced Dexterity
    ARRAY[4] Enhanced Constitution
    ARRAY[6] Enhanced Strength

MOVEMENT
    Base Move: 30 ft/60 ft/120 ft
    Leaping: 65 ft/30 ft/15 ft
    Speed: 220 ft (25 mph)
    Super-Speed: 220 ft (25 mph)
    Swimming: 450 ft (50 mph)

LIFTING
    Light: 76 lbs, Med: 153 lbs, Heavy: 230 lbs
    Max: 460 lbs, Push: 1150 lbs

DRAWBACKS

SUMMARY
    Abilities 14 + Skills 14 (56 ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 59 + Combat 40 + Saves 15 – Drawbacks 0 = 150 / 150

indarkestknight

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 05, 2019, 06:26:52 PMI want to run the game in a gritty setting, rather than a four-color one.  Heroes aren't perfect in this world.  Given that, would any one like to design their more heroic enemies?

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 13, 2019, 03:45:31 PM
    although it would be set in the DC Universe, characters would have to be original.

Few questions:

Are we in a grittier DC where the heroes are more tarnished, or are we in baseline DC?

Are we permitted to include canon DC characters in our backstories, and if so, to what extent? Or would you prefer us to keep our backstories clear of the canon characters? Should we expect to interact with canon DC characters (other than, obviously, Waller) in play?