The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Somehow still looks less crazy than the Lego Batman Movie.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Now here's an interesting story, Disney has agreed a deal to buy 21st Century Fox. There's a bit of me that's uneasy about Disney hoovering up every other entertainment company on the planet, but it does mean that all non-Sony Marvel movie characters will have the same parent company. How long before the X-Men and Fantastic Four arrive in the MCU?
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Arkaniel

Considering what they did with Wanda and pietro and how large the MCU already is, I think the Xmen will never be added. I hope they don’t, because it would become so incredibly large a world that it won’t be workable to keep telling the tale in two hour movies.

That’s just my opinion, though.

Besides, I wonder if a movie like Avengers vs Xmen could ever be successful enough to pay those dozens upon dozens of star actors required for such a flick. The budget would be staggering, after all.

mia h

Quote from: Arkaniel on December 14, 2017, 09:55:58 AM
Besides, I wonder if a movie like Avengers vs Xmen could ever be successful enough to pay those dozens upon dozens of star actors required for such a flick. The budget would be staggering, after all.
You mean an Infinity War type budget? Which has got 30+ "main" characters and a rumoured budget in excess of $500 million. So to do as well as Age of Ultron it'll have to take close $2.25 billion worldwide.

What I was thinking was that the MCU is very Avengers centric but a lot of those actors will be leaving the franchise soon, so they have to replace that core with something. It looks like the Guardians will provided that glue for phase 4 but beyond that they could introduce those Fox characters to take over and become the central team, so Avengers and X-men would never have to meet on screen.

Mathim

Quote from: Arkaniel on December 14, 2017, 09:55:58 AM
Considering what they did with Wanda and pietro and how large the MCU already is, I think the Xmen will never be added. I hope they don’t, because it would become so incredibly large a world that it won’t be workable to keep telling the tale in two hour movies.

That’s just my opinion, though.

Depending on the amount of destruction caused in Infinity War, they may need to do a little time-reversal or reality-bending to try to repair some of the damage, and that could be the perfect catalyst for the entrance of both mutants, the F4, and whatever other characters were in those stables (quite a few aliens, incidentally). What really bothers me is that Namor isn't getting similar treatment in a prospective homecoming. I'd love to see him slug the Hulk and send him flying in spite of his size being different enough that you'd think they wouldn't be comparable.

And it is a mixed blessing. While I don't want a monopoly on something great, let's be honest, very few studios outside of Marvel are killing it with Marvel properties. X-Men movies (while generally improving since DOFP) have a pretty imbalanced rate of impressing people. While I would want other approaches to be taken with certain properties (R-rated stuff like Deadpool), Marvel would have to farm them out to other studios to get them made in that way since they're never going to do that themselves. I wish Marvel would get to a point where they'd feel so confident with 1-2 of their own movies per year that they'd just let someone (or a group of people) with a vision use one of the lesser or frequently-used properties and do something creative with it even if it didn't participate in the overall MCU continuity. I mean, they could allude more heavily to the multiverse, so why not? It's not like it's out of the question to ever use that route in the MCU since it opens up limitless possibilities and that can only be a good thing.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

First Robin, now Hawk & Dove.

On one hand they look really cook but it also looks a little bit off, especially with Dove. The cracks on Hawk's helmet and shoulder pads are in keeping with the character but it's either the quality of the photo or Minka Kelly's blonde hair that doesn't feel right for Dove.

wander

Mathim

How about Terra?

It looks like despite the box office barely doubling the budget on Justice League (it hasn't even caught up to BvS, for crying out loud), WB is plowing forward with what's on their roster. I guess diminishing returns isn't something they comprehend. Jumping immediately into a Flashpoint movie would let them soft reboot into a 'fresh start' and be an awesome story, to boot, but no one there has any imagination. Sad. But at least now they know to keep Zak Snyder and anyone of his ilk the hell out of the kitchen. It's just too late for me to be able to give them any credibility. They had three strikes and they're out. Apparently Nintendo isn't the only major company who doesn't want to listen to or give a shit about the opinions of their fans.

wander

Hardly fair when Justice League was in development as BvS was yet to be released, they did at least try to backtrack and take on some of the criticism from that film. Right now there are rumours of future films going the more stand-alone route, though I think everyone who knows the universe can see Flashpoint as a neat and tidy way to do a soft-reboot and get the franchise more where WB and DC would want it to be. There's been some shufflings with some higher-ups and going forward the films will be under new direction now. My only worry is they brought in Bendis to help with the direction of the films going forward and he was part of the creative committee for Marvel, which Fiege wanted to break from (and did) and also that goes into all of Marvel, including their meh tv shows (Netflix excepted) and their current shitpile line-up of comic series.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on December 17, 2017, 05:12:45 AM
Hardly fair when Justice League was in development as BvS was yet to be released, they did at least try to backtrack and take on some of the criticism from that film. Right now there are rumours of future films going the more stand-alone route, though I think everyone who knows the universe can see Flashpoint as a neat and tidy way to do a soft-reboot and get the franchise more where WB and DC would want it to be. There's been some shufflings with some higher-ups and going forward the films will be under new direction now. My only worry is they brought in Bendis to help with the direction of the films going forward and he was part of the creative committee for Marvel, which Fiege wanted to break from (and did) and also that goes into all of Marvel, including their meh tv shows (Netflix excepted) and their current shitpile line-up of comic series.

Actually about half of their Netflix output so far has been meh, so they're not really an exception.

There's nothing wrong with going 'dark' if it fits the characters or if they don't obsessively rub it in your face throughout. Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash definitely don't work so well going dark, unless it's an Injustice type of story where Superman is not standalone and has his friends trying to bring him under control. But I think Aquaman's darker turn here will work better than most of the other lineup, though they really need to focus on making the script work more than anything. I want there to be an underwater superhero movie just to see how well it can be done, but only so we can tell whether Marvel can make a Namor movie work out well.

wander

Funnily enough I'm more excited to see Mera with the upcoming Aquaman film, they've been doing great things with her in Rebirth and I hope some of that flair comes into the film. I'm debating if I'm the target audience for it otherwise, I'm not a big fan of Aquaman myself, not into Mamoa and I have a bit of a dislike for extended water sequences in films (I nearly drowned once and I find the visuals for that generally quite claustrophobic to boot). However, there's a lot of promise in the characters from the rich comic history that few people really know there. Wonder Woman did alright, maybe it can happen again here. Though honestly, I'm more anticipating Flashpoint as that crossover and the animated film based from it is up there in my fave DC stories.

Mathim

Oh, that animated film was fantastic, absolutely one of my top 3 animated superhero movies ever. If they did even half that good in a live-action movie, I'd be pleased. But it would have to actually reboot everything and open all roles up for recasting.

wander

Though I think it's the unsaid thing they can keep Gal Gadot as she's old enough to not really be affected too much by the time ripples (outside if they do the Atlantis v Themiscira thing of course). It's more a way to recast Batfleck. His contract is for one more film and it looks to be that one will be Flashpoint, he's not going to renew obviously and having the explanation of the timeline being affected even when Barry fixes it (ala the original comics and also the tv continuity) will help explain that. Could also shake the others up if other recasting is needed too also.

Arkaniel

I think in Man of Steel, Cavill played the kind of superman I always wanted to see. It is one of my favourite superhero movies, but I’ve always been a superman fan. Not so much the rest of DC till the Christopher Nolan dark night trilogy. I think Wonder Woman was portrayed all right, gal gadot is good for the role and affleck did portray the batman they intended for these movies, though I’m not generally a fan of that type of batman. Especially since he has to compete with the Dark Knight trilogy, which put the bar very, very high.

I just fear what Flashpoint can do, since I’m generally not a fan at all of reboots, timejumps and so on.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on December 17, 2017, 05:52:12 PM
Though I think it's the unsaid thing they can keep Gal Gadot as she's old enough to not really be affected too much by the time ripples (outside if they do the Atlantis v Themiscira thing of course). It's more a way to recast Batfleck. His contract is for one more film and it looks to be that one will be Flashpoint, he's not going to renew obviously and having the explanation of the timeline being affected even when Barry fixes it (ala the original comics and also the tv continuity) will help explain that. Could also shake the others up if other recasting is needed too also.

Yeah, she's one of the few in the DCEU I'm not totally against as far as casting, I'd be fine with her sticking around.

My main problem with Batfleck is that he's older than a Batman should be among a group of peers. I don't want to see a jaded, murderous Batman unless it's the Flashpoint Thomas Wayne version.

wander

That's a fair point. Personally though, outside of the killiness, I found Batfleck to my fave Batman, he had the full package as a badass Batman and he's great watching as Bruce Wayne too.

CaptainNexus616

It truly does bewilder me Snyder broke the most freaking obvious Batman rule when doing a movie involving one of the biggest comic book characters known.

Batman Does NOT KILL!

That was why I never really saw the entirety of the movie (I've seen bits and pieces). If a director in charge of a film cannot understand the most important core concept of Batman. He doesn't need his hand in anything else involving him.

That said who knows what will happen come May. If Infinity War does as good as the projections are looking, this may prompt Warner Bros to still keeping trying to get that kind of cash.

Or the Super Hero Bubble may very well pop and the Avengers movie post Infinity War may signal the end of the Golden Age of Superhero movies.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

wander

With the prospected budget on Infinity War, it's gonna be tough to get too big a profit on it. As film budgets escalate, reduced comebacks are gonna be a thing. Only so many people can afford to see a film after all.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on December 18, 2017, 09:44:26 PM
With the prospected budget on Infinity War, it's gonna be tough to get too big a profit on it. As film budgets escalate, reduced comebacks are gonna be a thing. Only so many people can afford to see a film after all.

Well, you've got to look at the patterns. Avengers 1, 2 and Captain America: Civil War all topped a billion. So if Avengers 3 makes 1.5 billion (not exactly too outlandish given the trend) they've tripled the budget on the first half of the two-part Phase 3 Avengers films. But that's assuming they're still trying to go back-to-back with it like they initially were, otherwise if just Infinity War alone has a billion dollar budget, yeah, they're overstepping themselves. But if it's only costing the originally projected 500M, it'll still triple (or get close to it) its budget back at the box office and they have to know this, they have a way better marketing division than Warner Bros. whose projections are kind of all over the place and never meeting expectations. Also this movie will have something none of the other Avengers films did: Spider-Man. And Guardians of the Galaxy, but I don't know if they will be as big a draw as Spidey will. If it's as good as it looks, repeat viewings won't be an issue. And it's not going to have huge competition during the time it's released so that's always a good strategic move on their part that Warner Bros. doesn't always remember. They know they're maximizing their profit potential and the fallout of a knock-out hit is that the next several films they release will be correspondingly more successful because of the good will and intrigue they've generated. WB had one hit, Wonder Woman, and then kind of limped across the finish line with Justice League, so they didn't keep up the pace. It's crystal clear that if you can score a string of hits, they trend up or maintain their high return, and when you keep striking out, the returns diminish no matter what crazy turns you make, even if you get a hit amidst your three strikes or four foul balls.

CaptainNexus616

Learned a little fun fact today, may have been mentioned here before though. Turns out the director for the Green Lantern movie would go on to do Thor Ragnarok. The things you learn ;D

TheSithChicken

The director for Green Lantern was Martin Campbell. Taika Waititi directed Thor Ragnarok - though he did act in Green Lantern.

Mathim

Quote from: TheSithChicken on January 01, 2018, 01:49:47 PM
The director for Green Lantern was Martin Campbell. Taika Waititi directed Thor Ragnarok - though he did act in Green Lantern.

Yeah, he played the nerdy friend who Hal Jordan told he was Green Lantern. I made that mistake initially as well til I looked into it further since I wanted to learn more about Waititi after finding out he was directing Ragnarok. I thought if he flubbed Green Lantern that was a bad idea but it wasn't due to him so that was a huge relief.

Can't wait to see some reviews of Black Panther. I want to hear that this first minority-led MCU picture knocked it out of the park, same as the vast majority of them. Really hope Trump's America isn't going to harm its box office. Hopefully whatever backlash occurs will be balanced out by the international box office. But hey, if Deadpool can make 800M with an R rating on a Valentine's Day opening week, surely Black Panther can keep pace. Fingers crossed.

TerribleTira

Personally, I'm pretty sick of the superhero movie genre. It is the same general plot, with the same character archtypes, and the fact that most of these movies are all intertwined makes it feel more like I'm watching some kind of drawn out tv series instead of a stand alone movie.

I mean, tbh most of these movies only make it because of the hype or nostalgia factor, and really aren't that great by their own merit. I suppose if I were a 10 or 12 year old, it would be fine, but as an adult they are just too cheesy for me.

I don't deny that there HAVE been some good movies in the past that were made from comics. I loved The Crow, and its sequel. The first Blade movie was pretty good. The Dredd movie with Karl Urban was severely underappreciated. I wish we could see some new Predator movies (although to be fair, the comics were made after the fact). Spawn needs a remake for sure, and I think Witchblade would make an excellent movie if they don't overplay it. Conan the Barbarian needed a better reboot. The one with Jason Momoa was crap.

But as far as the recent plague of Marvel and DC stuff, they are definitely not within my tastes of what I consider "good" movies.

mia h