~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebelle

This seemed like an amazing thing to do... So I had to throw my hat in - and had been working on something in my head all night at work!  It was definitely a nice little exercise in writing to get the brainmeats going for sure.  Definitely a good thing to have around here for folks :)

Everyone's writing for this has been amazing to read to be quite honest.

King Serperior

Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying each piece of writing everyone has been posting.   ;D

@Rebelle's post:  Simply amazing work!  I really loved the way you set the scene and individualized the characters.  The ending in particular made me want to know what would happen in the next few seconds.  I can't wait to see more from you.  Thanks for joining in the WotD fun!

@Jazra's post:  I haven't said this earlier, but I have been following Ebby's antics and can I just say that I love what you've done?  Ebby's quite entertaining and is also a rather adorable-looking grumpy cat, judging by the picture.  I can't wait to see what sort of trouble and adventures Ebby gets into next.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Rebelle

Thank you for your kind words KS,  I have to say while I love all the writing you have done.... the first one made me giggle a lot as I'm like "wait... wait is this..."  And I kept reading and then was like "haha haha it totally is Dresdenverse".  Absolutely loved it... And I want to see more.  :D

Blythe

I'll be running through later tonight to offer some more commentary on the newer selections written. :)

On a cheery note, I really like the word 'widdershins' in general. One of my favorite writers, Terry Pratchett, had this amazing comedic fantasy bookseries, the Discworld series, and 'widdershins' was actually a sort of cardinal direction in the series, because their world was flat.

King Serperior

Quote from: Rebelle on April 12, 2017, 01:50:10 PM
Thank you for your kind words KS,  I have to say while I love all the writing you have done.... the first one made me giggle a lot as I'm like "wait... wait is this..."  And I kept reading and then was like "haha haha it totally is Dresdenverse".  Absolutely loved it... And I want to see more.  :D
I'm glad you enjoyed that one, Rebelle!  I was actually rereading one of my favorite books in the series and it inspired me to write in the setting.  ^_^

Who knows, I may write something else in the Dresdenverse, but I'm enjoying the fantasy setting I'm writing in currently.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Flower

@Rebelle: I had forgotten how exceptionally well you weave a story. I was drawn in from the first word and I could feel the tension beating within the piece, even before you introduced us to the young woman awaiting a chance to strike. It was a lovely first contribution to the thread and I am eager to read more.

@Jazra: What a turn of events! Truly, you surprised me! I enjoyed this twist and liked to learn more of our witty and beloved Aasa's past.

@Nicholas: I enjoyed your piece as well. In fact, it put me in the mind of Downton, likely due to me watching a great deal of it lately. I love the relationship between nobles and servants though. Its complexity is a marvel to watch unfold and you tackled that in your piece. I also like your description of the room. How a place that might have been fill of life and energy earlier in the evening was now a place of silence, reflection, and maybe even discomfort for the lone indivdual.

Rebelle

Quote from: Flower on April 14, 2017, 07:24:41 PM
@Rebelle: I had forgotten how exceptionally well you weave a story. I was drawn in from the first word and I could feel the tension beating within the piece, even before you introduced us to the young woman awaiting a chance to strike. It was a lovely first contribution to the thread and I am eager to read more.

Thank you for the kind words you're gonna make me blush - and I think our young woman may definitely be making another appearance rather soon :)  It just kind of flowed through, funny how that kind of happens huh?  It just...was there.. if that makes sense

Flower

Jazra

Loved Marek’s short piece about an advertising agency. I so felt for Berta. I’ve been there when traffic keeps you from being on time. Hate it! And interesting to see the dishing out of the roles to various people. Never done anything in advertising, but this had a nice morning office meeting feel. And I’ve done plenty of those office meetings in the past.

Nicholas. Forbidden Desires, it left my feeling like I’d just walked onto the set of a horror film and as the tension built, I was looking to run, not walk off. I’m not sure if that’s the feeling Nicholas meant to inspire, but it built as he slowly added additional detail without really revealing anything. But that’s the strength of horror, the nervous fear comes from what you don’t know and the little details you think you know. But I do love Nicholas’s writing. I’ve started peaking at some of his other more lengthy examples.

I’d write more, but I’m doing taxes today. And waiting to hear back about my transmission (it went out). Love the compliments from Blythe and Flower. It definitely encourages me to keep developing this story. Of course, the joy of a story like this where you do no real planning in advance, is each new piece is a bit of fun discovery for me. I read a news article about a skeleton that was originally thought to be of a Viking Queen named Aasa, but later the archeologist decided she might just be a wise woman. Then I saw my cat cross my path for water and I was watching the first few episodes of a arguably not great show called Lucifer. But now the story has taken on a life of its own and wandered from my original inspiration.

Love this thread and everyone who contributes. Great community event.
Ons & Offs
Absences

Boy, “If I and a slice of pizza fall in the water, which do you save?

Girl, wipes grease off her chin, “Why'd you let my pizza fall in the water?”

Blythe

While I am late, I have returned to review more of the writing!

Today I begin with a selection written by Majere Dreavan! I have not seen Majere write here in this thread before, so welcome, Majere! This was an interesting piece--first person perspective, and it was a diary, so I got an epistolary novel vibe immediately. I've always felt that this style is under-appreciated, so I was excited to see that you chose the format you did. Interesting sort of entry--I wondered at how much rain the world was getting when I read your piece. I also liked how you used the Words, though widdershins is by far my favorite word, and I liked how you used that one best! But I am biased in favor of that word, haha. ;D Bu after reading this, I was left hoping the narrator's world would improve. *nod*

Onward to King Serperior! MORE WIDDERSHINS, YAY. Though I do like that you used multiple words in this entry--you spaced them out in a way that it felt really natural for each to be included. I'd also like to specifically compliment how well you handle the fantasy genre--you did spectacularly. I think you have a real knack for building backgrounds here, and by the time I got to the section detailing Nar's history early in the piece, I knew I was in for a treat, character development-wise. :)

I move now to a piece written by Rebelle! Ah, I really love it when something I am reading starts out with a quote in the beginning. I love the use of those to set a general tone for a piece, and I liked it even more that you worked in two Words into it! I have to say that the grim tone of the setting drew me in--I wanted more of this broken world, even as I sympathized with those who were hungry and screaming. Very good work!

Jazra again! More Ebby and Aasa. <3 Nice use of the word hyperbole! I must also confess to a certain curiosity about Ebby--I wonder what his exact capabilities are? He's really rockin' that mysterious shapeshifter vibe!

After that, I read this piece, by Nicholas! Ooh, was this a historical piece? I got that sort of tone from it, and I was excited to read it! I saw the mention of the cinematograph, so was this set close to 1900?  :D I love the beautiful forbidden love angle--whenever I do venture into reading fiction more in a romance genre, forbidden pairings or star-crossed lovers are definitely a favorite of mine. I think you used the word 'napery' so well--your selection reads with a certain air of sophistication and secret daring!

Lastly, one more from Jazra! Good use of the word 'pittance,' and I particularly enjoyed the appearance of Fenrir and Fenris! Though I must say that I got a bit fascinated trying to figure out what was said at the end--what does "Kringlaugd wierd, ein spadi for qvoki ne skeifr drpr munni ne svinhqfdi" mean? Or is that a surprise for later?  ;D

Many sorries that it took me so long to review everyone's wonderful pieces--it was very relaxing and enjoyable to sit down to read them and type out my thoughts tonight. <3

Jazra

Quote from: Blythe on April 18, 2017, 12:53:12 AM
Though I must say that I got a bit fascinated trying to figure out what was said at the end--what does "Kringlaugd wierd, ein spadi for qvoki ne skeifr drpr munni ne svinhqfdi" mean? Or is that a surprise for later?

Blythe,

Thank you for the kind words. I'll tell you what it's supposed to mean,

Gaze upon thy destiny, with this sword I will cleave your lying maggot mouth from your swine head!

Which is a bit unfair to Ebby as I'm not sure he actually does much lying. The other man calls him, Lothbrok, which is another clue about Ebby and the name he went by before he met his fate at Odin's hands and reincarnated. 
Ons & Offs
Absences

Boy, “If I and a slice of pizza fall in the water, which do you save?

Girl, wipes grease off her chin, “Why'd you let my pizza fall in the water?”

Nico

Thank you, Jazra and Blythe. :-) I often worry that what I write isn't really interesting because it's just humans, but the feedback means a lot.

Theta Sigma

I meant to drop in a while ago and thank everyone for the wonderful feedback.

Seems these words really inspire Doctor writing. >_>

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Flower

-nestles in the good feels-

Also, maybe it's just me but I really love today's word of the day. Yesterday's was awesome as well. xD

Flower

I felt like additional​ information was needed for this one.

Did You Know?

If you work in a restaurant or bar, you might eighty-six (or "eliminate") a menu item when you run out of it, or you might eighty-six (or "cut off") a customer who should no longer be served. Eighty-six is still used in this specific context, but it has also entered the general language. These days, you don't have to be a worker in a restaurant or bar to eighty-six something—you just have to be someone with something to get rid of or discard. There are many popular but unsubstantiated theories about the origin of eighty-six. The explanation judged most probable by Merriam-Webster etymologists is that the word was created as a rhyming slang word for nix, which means "to veto" or "to reject."

Flower

@Shores: What a fantastic piece! At first, I thought maybe this guy is a werewolf. Lol but I love your twist. It was unexpected and delightful. I love the acronym you came up with. FoOD. Pretty clever. :)

Shores

Quote from: Flower on April 21, 2017, 12:14:35 PM
@Shores: What a fantastic piece! At first, I thought maybe this guy is a werewolf. Lol but I love your twist. It was unexpected and delightful. I love the acronym you came up with. FoOD. Pretty clever. :)

Oh, I just found the comment thread here! Thank you! :D I had a lot of fun writing it since I imagined the customer as a Gordon Ramsay fan.

Flower

Now I'm imagining a lot more obscenities flying. xD

Flower

Oh Shores! You've outdone yourself again.

Ever heard of a man being good at directions? I had a serious laugh at that line. It might not be true in other's lives but my god is it true in mine. My SO can't navigate for crap even in an area we've lived in for over a year. This was just a great giggle moment for me. Thank you for that. All and all it was a wonderful piece! I want more of this setting and woman in particular. Anyways, you're a marvel at dialogue. I even enjoyed the old man who seemed keen to participate in negotiations though he could barely talk for coughing.

Shores

Lol! Well, luckily he has you around to show him the way!

Thank you for your kind words! I like to read dialogue in books and listen in on conversations when I take public transport. It's very entertaining. I don't know if I'll continue this setting and woman, but it does sound interesting.

Flower

Hehe. I always overhear crazy stuff off the train as well. It's one of the reasons why I'm not always tempted to zone out with headphones.

Also, huzzah to more wonderful contributions. I haven't had the opportunity to read all off them but I'll be back with some comments. ^_^

Flower

@Blythe: I was super glad to see you use 'tatterdemalion' as inspiration for your prompt! I thought it was an awesome word. At first mention of the club's name, Wonderland, I knew I was in for a real treat. I always love when fairy tales or just fantasy concepts are remixed to fit the modern, non-magical world. I really loved your contribution. I wanted to know more about Wonderland and the lost souls within it. I really hope you explore the concept more. ^.^

My favorite lines from this piece was...'Was it meant to have that 'hole in the wall' appeal, to have a plain unpleasant appearance on the outside but be beautiful on the inside?'  

Shores (factoid): Another nifty contribution! Again, I love how natural your characters' speech sounds. It just flows and has that nice little umph that makes their voices unique. I am curious about the circumstances behind these two being together and how they came to be married. Also, what's at the end of that tunnel? xD

My favorite line was...'It’s a one-way corridor. Where could I run to?” I don't know why but that made me crack up with laughter.

@Mio (factoid): I am not a huge Star Wars fan but I did enjoy reading your piece. It's an interesting concept, being trapped in one's own body.

My favorite line was 'RAWRGWAWGGR' and I liked this bit as well 'He clutched his side where the saber had attempted to make his heart its sheath'.

I'll get to the other ones soon! Thank you, guys, for being so awesome with your contributions. :)

Shores

Quote from: Flower on April 28, 2017, 09:21:39 PM
]
Shores (factoid): Another nifty contribution! Again, I love how natural your characters' speech sounds. It just flows and has that nice little umph that makes their voices unique. I am curious about the circumstances behind these two being together and how they came to be married. Also, what's at the end of that tunnel? xD

My favorite line was...'It’s a one-way corridor. Where could I run to?” I don't know why but that made me crack up with laughter.

I'm glad it made you laugh. :D I'm really enjoying learning all the words, and I'm trying to use them in some of my rps as well. Some words are harder to use than others.

Monster at the end of the tunnel, of course! >=D

mioyumyum

Quote from: Flower on April 28, 2017, 09:21:39 PM
@Mio (factoid): I am not a huge Star Wars fan but I did enjoy reading your piece. It's an interesting concept, being trapped in one's own body.

My favorite line was 'RAWRGWAWGGR' and I liked this bit as well 'He clutched his side where the saber had attempted to make his heart its sheath'.

Thank you Flower for your words of encouragement. :)

Beautiful Mystery

I have been so terribly behind in reading everyone's posts for word of the day. >.> I blame it on not enough hours in the day. But I just wanted to thank everyone for contributing here! It is so wonderful to see so many people coming in and writing wonderful pieces. All of you are very talented in writing with words you may not have encountered before! I know I thought it would be a pretty easy prompt to do but I was wrong... It is harder than it looks. :P

So again, thank you everyone for writing!
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir