(recruiting) Dawn of Man (PF, NC/EX)

Started by Zenkai, March 04, 2018, 11:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

I think I cna come up with something then; woulda had it sooner, but man, work is whuppin' me.

Zenkai

Char sheet thread open.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284083.0

dat tail, so hypnotic

Arcanist

Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Zenkai

Quick question.

Does the character š render in your browser? Should show a s with caron ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0 )

Pipaluk

Arcanist

Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 11:32:13 PM
Hmm. Can't find god caller on paizo's site. Let's go with her being granted these abilities by the goddess herself. That'll explain the eidolon. The spells still register as arcane. This kind of luggage comes with complications that will make me cackle with glee. Want a cookie?

Cookies are good!  I believe God Caller spells are still arcane so it might not make a difference if I take the archetype or not..  Here's a link.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/god-caller-summoner-archetype/

Also, you mentioned human only, but could it be possible for a half-elf?  I know there's drow assassins, a half-drow whose mother was raped is technically possible....?  I’ll also probably use the unchained summoner instead of the original summoner because it’s more balanced.
-TH

On/Offs

Zenkai

Quote from: towerhouse on March 07, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Cookies are good!  I believe God Caller spells are still arcane so it might not make a difference if I take the archetype or not..  Here's a link.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/god-caller-summoner-archetype/

Also, you mentioned human only, but could it be possible for a half-elf?  I know there's drow assassins, a half-drow whose mother was raped is technically possible....?

Humans only for starting characters.  God-caller is not in the PRD - why not use synthesist as was your original intention? Which aspect of God-Caller makes it more attractive than the synthesist?

towerhouse

I’ll drop god caller than.

As for unchained summoner synthesist versus original summoner synthesist, the unchained one is reportedly much more balanced. I can still use synthesist, but will just use unchained one if you don’t mind for party balance sake.

Do you have a set alignment for the fertility deity?  I’m thinking chaotic good.
-TH

On/Offs

Zenkai

Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life! Wait, wrong game :)

Alignments don't matter to the gods as long as you obey their wishes. Now keep in mind that it isn't unusual for a god to visit his priest in this age. Just a dozen generations ago, gods walked among mortals every day. Only since the Break did the gods grow more distant, and retreat to palaces or other distant places.

I don't mind either the original summoned or the unchained version.

Merdoroli

I hope I'm not too late, just putting the finishing touches on a character. Wandering what languages would be common inside the city though? I'm imagining my character as a bit... shady. Not doing anything wrong per se but in touch with a lot of street elements in the city. Is this a human only settlement? Wouldn't make much sense to learn something like elvish if he never met an elf. Lol.

Zenkai

There are two additional human languages apart from "common". That won't be important for quite a while.

Racial languages, celestial and infernal are beyond your characters' experience for now.

Races don't mix in this setting. Xenophobia is the norm, even if trade exists.

Merdoroli

What would you recommend for languages then? I get three bonus languages for intelligence right? The other two human languages?

Also: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1515561   <-- Presenting Rumar, potential brother of Ahum, with your approval of course Zenkai

I went the way of a myth weavers character sheet. Cuz it's something I'm used to. Besides languages I think that's it, I'm done. Is it okay? I haven't made a Pathfinder character before, I used to play a lot of DnD 3.5 but not Pathfinder, so I hope I didn't do something catastrophically wrong.

Chulanowa

Kind of annoyed; wake up with an idea, only to find out Ultimate Wilderness isn't on the PRD, so, no shifter  >:(

ThatFantasticBard

Ahum

Growing up, Ahum wanted for nothing. Born the eldest son of a wealthy merchant, he had very little in the way of hardships and was guaranteed a proper education thanks to his family's money. As soon as he was old enough, the boy was sent to an eduba where he learned to read and write. Despite the fact that he was often lavished with praise by the scholar priest that taught them, simply due to his father's generosity, Ahum's competitive nature had him working diligently to prove that he was better than the other kids, studying often even outside of the scribe school. Eventually, thanks to his own talent and diligence, and his father's frequent gifts to his teacher, Ahum was chosen to receive training for priesthood.

Naturally, Ahum accepted. He saw this as both another means of proving himself and as an opportunity to live a truly lavish life. Unfortunately, despite taking to his studies with his usual determination, the boy grew more and more restless as the years passed, the idea of being confined to temple grounds for the rest of his life somewhat troubling. In his free time, Ahum often pretended he was an adventurer, exploring the world and slaying monsters, sometimes with his friends and brother, other times by himself. The scholar priest eventually took notice of the boy's desire to adventure and offered him an alternative. Instead of priesthood, he could train to become an inquisitor, an agent of the gods, whose sole purpose was to root out heretics and destroy anything that was an affront to the gods. Naturally, Ahum accepted.

The more militant nature of his new position to be meant he had to go to the temple grounds for training, and had entirely new teachers. Fortunately, the lessons he had already received as a priest applied to being an Inquisitor, so he didn't have to start from square one. However, he found the training to be far more arduous than anything he experienced while learning to become a scribe or priest, his body not used to the more physical demands of his new training. Of course ever eager to prove himself, the boy pushed himself to his limits, determined to show that he didn't want to just finish his training, he wanted to excel. As the years went by, Ahum grew to be quite the fighter, able to practically do his training with his eyes closed. This of course led to him growing restless again, knowing he still had a few years left before he could become a full fledged inquisitor and he doubted he'd be challenged anymore in that time.

Ahum decided that he'd seek out his own means of proving that while he wasn't technically finished with his lessons, he was more than ready to become an inquisitor. He often heard about Goblins that would raid the villages outside of town and decided that taking out a Goblin nest would be more than enough to prove that he was ready. After gathering some information about where they were coming from, Ahum borrowed some basic training weapons and managed to talk a friend and his brother into coming with him. The trio set off at night, not wanting to draw too much attention to what they were doing. It took them nearly an hour of travel to reach the cave where the Goblins were said to of been spotted. Ahum headed in, full of confidence with his little party in tow, knowing full well he'd be an inquisitor by tomorrow.

For a while, the boys worried that they were in the wrong place. They'd been walking for quite some time without seeing any signs that the cave was inhabited and the only sounds they heard were their own footsteps and the crackling of the torch that illuminated their path. Just as Ahum was about to give up, he heard footsteps behind them, followed by agonized screaming. Turning around, the boy's eyes widened in horror as he saw several Goblins on top of his friend, stabbing wildly at him, practically tearing the poor boy apart. Before Ahum could move to help him, another of the monsters jumped out of the shadows, slashing at his face. Ahum barely had time to react, the creature's dagger slashing his eye as he did his best to dodge the blow. Realizing that they were far too outnumbered by the Goblins, Ahum knew he had to get his brother out. After dealing with the little beast that had slashed his eye, he grabbed his brother's arm, quickly fleeing back the way they came, knowing full well his friend was already dead. Somehow, the two managed to get out without running into any more ambushes, their lungs burning and legs aching by the time they made it to the cave's entrance. Ahum knew he had to face the consequences of his actions and returned home, defeated.

Upon his return, Ahum first explained what had happened to his father, than the Priests of the temple. The blade that had been used against the boy was poisoned and while the Priests managed to flush out the toxins from his body, they could do nothing to save his eye, leaving him with another reminder of his failure. Having led his friend to his death, without any official support behind the adventure, Ahum was nearly banished from not only the temple, but the city as well. Fortunately, his father used his own charm and significant fortune to talk the Priests into allowing him to remain, albeit with significantly less freedom. He was left confined to the temple grounds and was to be closely watched for the remainder of his training. Despite his previous desire for exploring, Ahum was almost thankful for the new restrictions, realizing that even with all his bravado, he still had much to learn before he was ready.

Woo, all done with the backstory. Gonna post this here first to make sure that Zenkai and Merdoroli don't have any issues with anything I put.

Zenkai

There are only a few inquisitors in each city.

Now, the only hmm problem I have is Rumar being a mesmerist. It's a minor issue, however. Just consider the life of a professional con man, in the bronze and early iron age. It'll be a challenge. Not sure what to do with those free languages yet. I'll wing it later on.

What domain? Note that you'll start "devoted to an ideal" until a god shows interest in you.

ThatFantasticBard

Zenkai

Sounds fine so far. Sheet looks fine too at first glance.

Chul, yeah, the shifter would be fun and quite at home in this campaign. I am almost temped to allow it. Can't you do something similar within the classes in the prd?

ThatFantasticBard

Quote from: Zenkai on March 07, 2018, 02:19:24 PM

Alright! I'll go ahead and post him on the character sheet thread then.

Zenkai

NB. Inquisitors don't get bonus spells or spell slots from their domain.

Merdoroli

Rumar, the second son of a merchant, grew up in the shadow of his older brother, Ahum, who could do no wrong in their father's eyes. No matter what Rumar did, Ahum was the chosen son, and Rumar was always second place. He competed fiercely with Ahum in school, trying to outdo him, but he rarely succeeded, and when he did it was overlooked. Most of the teachers were paid very well to ensure Ahum got the best education possible and they reciprocated by speaking highly him at every opportunity but they  weren't paid nearly so well for Rumar. Their father only needed one son to inherit the shop and carry on the name.

That all changed when Ahum went off to the priesthood. Suddenly Rumar needed to be trained to one day inherit the shop. Their father called on him to help more and more often, teaching him the ways of a merchant. Rumar, although angry at his father and jealous of his brother, did his best to garner his father's approval. He quickly found he had a natural talent for getting people to buy and sell things they usually wouldn't for sometimes ridiculous prices. He had no patience for the math involved though. Market prices and supply and demand and so on. It was all so boring. The people themselves were what interested Rumar. There were so many different people who would come into the shop. Slaves buying something for their masters, nobles searching for only the best, guards looking to sell something they'd found laying around. And Rumar quickly learned that while slaves are very easy to subtly intimidate into buying something at an higher price, that same tactic didn't work on nobles. Each new person was a puzzle.

As Rumar grew older he started being bored with just manipulating people in the shop. He started skipping classes, especially math classes, to wander among the people of the city. He learned about dice and gambling. Cards and card tricks. He learned to fake telling someones fortune, and to hypnotize people. His father was not happy to hear he'd been skipping class. But Rumar was used to that by now and the people out in the world were just so interesting. They all had their own lives and desires. Such subtle and easy manipulation and Rumar could get just about anything he wanted.

When Ahum came to Rumar one night asking about goblins and wanting to go out and kill some, Rumar was very hesitant at first. He had recently learned his power of persuasion wasn't purely good technique, it was at least partially something more. He had manifested a psychic illusion but he managed to keep it completely secret and he wasn't sure how far his powers went. What he did know though, is the right guy to talk to among the guards to get outside the city and right where the nearest goblin threat would be.

He decided to help Ahum, if only to learn more about his newfound powers and make sure Ahum made it back safely. As much as he was jealous of Ahum, Ahum was his brother, and he empathized with Ahum's boredom. Plus it was nice to hear of Ahum breaking a rule for once and he wanted to see what happened.

The entire trip was a nightmare. Rumar had no trouble getting them out of the city. Dazing an already sleepy guard. But the trip there and into the cave was such a long walk. And everyone was so quiet. It was boring and tiring. Once they got to the cave it was also very creepy and scary. He had a walking stick, tied to his wrist just in case, that cleverly hid a sword, a trick he'd picked up around the city but he wasn't very good with it. Fighting wasn't really his forte, and he wasn't sure his powers of persuasion would even work on a goblin. He was just about to tell them they should just turn around when he heard a scream from behind him.

He turned and saw Ahum's friend covered in goblins. He watched on in stunned silence, unable to think as the boy was ripped apart in front of his eyes until his brother grabbed his arm and pulled him out of his trance. Suddenly they were surrounded and running for it. They managed to make it a decent ways but Ahum was slower in his armor and the goblins were gaining on them. He concentrated and created what looked like a cave-in behind them. It had none of the noise of an actual cave in, and could easily be walked through, such that even a goblin could figure out it was fake but it would take them a minute. And that was all the boys needed.

Home at last, Rumar let Ahum do the talking. He was too ashamed and shocked to talk any himself. His father was mad as all hell of course, but Rumar didn't care. There was nothing his father could do that hurt any more than the image of that kid being torn to shreds in front of him. The image haunted him at night and kept him from sleep so Rumar started sneaking out to go see his brother. He didn't know who else to talk to. He didn't have any other real friends. Just people he used as a means to an end. He started to realize his brother and him had a lot in common.

He confided in his brother that he had a special gift, a power, and met with him regularly to learn to control and use it better. He wanted to be stronger to keep what he'd seen from happening to anyone else ever again.

Posting here for the same reasons ThatFantasticBard did. :D

Money wasn't really a problem for Rumar for the most part so he didn't face much of the problems a usual con man might I think. Most of his cons were done just for fun or to try to up sales at his father's shop. At least until the RP starts and he's away from his Father's money. Then he's bound to get in trouble. Considering your earlier Nurgle reference I don't think it's any more trouble than the rest of the gang will likely be in. Lol.

ThatFantasticBard

Quote from: Zenkai on March 07, 2018, 02:36:54 PM
NB. Inquisitors don't get bonus spells or spell slots from their domain.

Whoops, forgot about that. It should be fixed now.

Merdoroli

I slightly updated my character sheet. I didn't know there were alternate racial traits until I was talking with ThatFantasticBard. So I dropped the bonus human skill point for Silver Tongued. Hope that's still okay.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zenkai on March 07, 2018, 02:19:24 PM

Chul, yeah, the shifter would be fun and quite at home in this campaign. I am almost temped to allow it. Can't you do something similar within the classes in the prd?

I can just gram one of the thirty other ideas i always have laying around  ;D

rikka

Hoping to get accepted.  Here's my character.

Urnina

Urnina is the daughter of a blacksmith in some isolated village within the valley.  Her father was disappointed when he was bore with a daughter instead with a son in order to pass on his legacy; due to this Urnina was frowned upon by her father and their relationship became indifferent at best to the woe of the girl.  Things took a turn for the worse when an accident left her father unable to continue his craft.  Urnina wanted to help out but what can useless girl like her do.  The god of blacksmiths came to her in a dream, like it is said to all who became blacksmiths, so it was unusual that he chose to appear before her.  The god asked her if she would do anything to gain his secrets.  Urnina did not give it a second thought and accepted. 

With the divine insight granted to her, in addition to having secretly watched her father's work through many hours during her spare time, took on the mantle of blacksmithing.  The work was hard and grueling, and was not profitable at first since many frown upon the idea of a woman being a blacksmith which has been a profession exclusively for men.  But Urnina persevered and continued on in spite when suffered an accident from the hazardous work that left her maimed for life - a give and take thing she suspects in exchange for being granted divine guidance and as a test of her faith.

As time passed on people slowly came to accept Urnina’s calling, and many clients locally and from the outside came seeking her services.  Perhaps they came to the lure of the only female blacksmith in the area.  She had produced many blades and armor especially to those who call themselves as adventurers.  It was from them that she learned of the goblin hunts, and of the fact that many women enter the life of adventuring in order to escape their sorry state.  Their tales prompt her of wishing herself of becoming an adventure but she just had too much responsibility here in her hometown especially having to tend to her stricken father.  That all changed however when her  father eventually died of misery, perhaps having never accepted the fact that he was succeeded by her daughter in his profession. 

In spite of what had gone between them, Urnina was devastated by the loss of her father, which had left her in being lull in her blacksmithing for a long time.  Eventually, deciding to get over her grief, she decided to close shop and sell off what possession she had in order to outfit herself and decide to strike out on her own, to become an adventure, and perhaps give a shot at those so-called goblin hunts.
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs