News:

Main Menu

Doctor Who Junkie!

Started by Usani, September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snickerz

I was into the original Dr. Who, I've never really gotten into the new ones.

dthewaters

I was enjoying Matt Smith's version but oh well stuff always ends sooner or later and I hope the next doctor will be as enjoyable.

WildCat

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 13, 2013, 12:38:58 PM
Here is a good one.. can you recall your FIRST Doctor Who moment?
My first memory of hearing it mentioned was hearing public television advertise for "The Five Doctors" and think it was about five different people with doctorates in different disciplines. My first viewing experience was Terror of the Autons. It must have been a good couple months before I saw an episode *without* Roger DelGado.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

Sabby

I just heard the best term for time paradox. A Doctor Hoop.

Stella

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on September 29, 2013, 05:27:11 AM

Yes!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Florence

I am going to repeatedly punch Netflix until they add more Doctor Who. Both the modern series AND the classic series are woefully lacking on there. AND I NEED TO CATCH UP IN TIME FOR THE ANNIVERSARY Dx

As for Smith leaving... honestly, he was alright, but as much as he grew on me, he will always working in the shadow of David Tennant, who was just absolutely perfect as the Doctor. I mean, I love the Fourth too, having gone back and watch classic Who, but... Tennant will always be MY Doctor. There's just something about the fanboy passion he brought to the role that really can't be beat.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the Twelfth is, though :>
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

akaiakamai

Quote from: Avis habilis on September 20, 2012, 12:13:09 PM
TomDoc cannot be surpassed. Although admittedly Jon Pertwee comes in a close second thanks to the barely repressed haughtiness, groovy outfits & Venusian aikido.

I was mad about Tom Baker's Doctor Who--got to meet and interview him, back in my reporter days. And he was just as mad as the character! What a day that was, trying to keep up with that man. His real world was just as magical as the show.
Akaia Kamai

Oniya

Quote from: akaiakamai on September 29, 2013, 01:38:35 PM
I was mad about Tom Baker's Doctor Who--got to meet and interview him, back in my reporter days. And he was just as mad as the character! What a day that was, trying to keep up with that man. His real world was just as magical as the show.

I misinterpreted that at first - I had to translate it into American.  ;D   I am also intensely envious of you at the moment.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

akaiakamai

You know...I totally understand. He's a remarkable man and deserves his loyal following. A bit mad, to be sure--in a good way, though! Returning to the "real" world was very difficult. What it must be like to live as he does--talk about "blurred lines," that guy moves between the real and make believe worlds with impressive ease. And leaves the rest of us breathless and wondering, "What just happened?!"
Akaia Kamai

Oniya

For some reason, I always had the impression that he wasn't exactly pretending too hard.  I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd ended his run as the Doctor with a departure along the lines of Anthony Geary in UHF - leaving the studio and then returning to his home planet in a beam of light.

Moraline

I don't envy the next Doctor. Coming in after Tennant and Smith would be a really hard act to follow. Where do you go from there? Tennant and Smith in my opinion covered all of the best qualities of the Doctor. The new person will have their work cut out for them.  In my opinion, they should have went with a female Doctor - it would have been easier and a more exciting new approach.

Falanor

Quote from: Moraline on October 01, 2013, 07:55:16 PM
I don't envy the next Doctor. Coming in after Tennant and Smith would be a really hard act to follow. Where do you go from there? Tennant and Smith in my opinion covered all of the best qualities of the Doctor. The new person will have their work cut out for them.  In my opinion, they should have went with a female Doctor - it would have been easier and a more exciting new approach.
Eh, not that hard.  >:)

In all seriousness, Capaldi is a fantastic actor and I'm thrilled to see what he'll do with the role.  As for the best qualities, why does the new Doctor have to be better qualities instead of a possible decent into madness?  I suspect we'll see a turn back to a more intellectual Doctor, but I can see Capaldi brimming with a way too dark side to his role.

Stella

^ I agree with all of that. Capaldi is going to be incredible.

Oniya

Quote from: Falanor on October 01, 2013, 10:12:06 PM
As for the best qualities, why does the new Doctor have to be better qualities instead of a possible decent into madness? 

Hey, it worked for Colin.

Who's that snickering in the back?

Stella

Not me! Colin's my favourite classic Doctor. Haters to the left and off the cliff, kthnx. :P

Falanor

ToriJ

My descent into Doctor Who began with video footage from "Blink" introducing me to the Weeping Angels. After watching some scenes of Matt Smith as The Doctor I decided to give the series a watch starting with Series 5 and I never looked back. Watched all of Series 5 and 6, the first half of 7 as it was available and then went back to the watch the rest of the relaunched from 2005 on up. I even managed to find the very first episode on Dailymotion and got to see William Hartnell in action. A few months back, during his birthday no less, I watched the first Doctor story starring Jon Pertwee. My favorites out of the ones I have seen goes in this order 11, 10, 1, 3, 9. And I know, I'm a terrible person for not having watched any of Tom Baker episodes yet.

Quote from: Sabby on September 29, 2013, 05:27:11 AM

Where's the like button? :-(