Any good MMORPG besides WoW?

Started by Bloody Rose, November 09, 2011, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqueline

Dashenka

...besides WoW?

??? ??? ???

What are you talking about? You mean that game called 'life'? I heard it sucks :)
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Dashenka on November 29, 2011, 08:15:43 AM
...besides WoW?

??? ??? ???

What are you talking about? You mean that game called 'life'? I heard it sucks :)

LIFE is expensive to play and maintain an account, starting character resources are randomly and unfairly distributed, it takes an unreasonable amount of grinding to accomplish anything, the PvP system is incredibly unbalanced ('guns' are OP, and far cheaper than 'body armor'), and the in-game authorities are notoriously strict unless you  happened to start with certain attributes. Even its account security is disputed - some people believe that being banned just means you have to start a new account from scratch, while others hold that only one person has ever been able to return to the game after being banned (and only because he was related to an administrator).

The only thing it has going for it is incredible graphics.

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 30, 2011, 08:27:07 AM
LIFE is expensive to play and maintain an account, starting character resources are randomly and unfairly distributed, it takes an unreasonable amount of grinding to accomplish anything, the PvP system is incredibly unbalanced ('guns' are OP, and far cheaper than 'body armor'), and the in-game authorities are notoriously strict unless you  happened to start with certain attributes. Even its account security is disputed - some people believe that being banned just means you have to start a new account from scratch, while others hold that only one person has ever been able to return to the game after being banned (and only because he was related to an administrator).

The only thing it has going for it is incredible graphics.

I wish there was a thank button.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Drake Valentine

MMORPGS as in first person or~?

There was only one MMORPG I enjoyed playing and it was Atlantica Online. To me it took a whole new approach, it involved tactics(since you have a party of NPCs and it is all turn base. Don't get me wrong, you can also party with other players who have their own NPC team out there) Me being a big fan of tactic base games(FF Tactics, Ogre Tactics, so on so forth) fell in love with Atlantica online. It is free(well to much of my former understanding when you play it) and has purchasable content, but such content won't restrict you otherwise(I don't believe.) I only played it few years back. With the graveyard shift and other games, I broke away from MMORPGS, just don't have the time for them sadly.

But if you have nothing against tactic like games or sprite-ish graphics I propose giving it a go, you might like it.

Edit: And of course it is free(or should be) so you can't go wrong. Only thing you would be wasting would be your time, not your money. ^^

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

fancyfictions

Lord of the Rings Online and City of Heroes/Villains are games I currently play and have for a long time. City of Heroes is new to the f2p model but it was a game I subscribed to for 3 years prior to the free to play option.

I've also played Dungeons and Dragons Online. It personally wasn't my thing but I know a lot of people who actively play and enjoy this one.

Someone mentioned Hellgate:London earlier. I might have to check that out.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

Cold Heritage

I didn't think Hellgate: London was an MMO. I thought it was a sort of Diablo-like game with the usual single and multi.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Shjade

Two notes about Atlantica Online:

1 - the cash store for it can buy stat-heavy items and enhanced team members that are a huge leg up, meaning f2p players are at a pretty severe disadvantage to paid players in PvP in the arena. Even worse, the cash purchases are boxes with random items in them, so you could drop $20 on boxes to get that Ninja Star Of Awesome and not even end up getting the star, just a bunch of random items that, while useful, are not anywhere as good - xp gain boosts and the like. It's terrible.

2 - it's extremely grind-heavy in pretty much every respect.

It's not a bad game, but I can't say I'd recommend it to most people.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

ShadowFox89

Has anyone played TOR? How does the beta look?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Shjade on December 03, 2011, 03:54:08 PM
Two notes about Atlantica Online:

1 - the cash store for it can buy stat-heavy items and enhanced team members that are a huge leg up, meaning f2p players are at a pretty severe disadvantage to paid players in PvP in the arena. Even worse, the cash purchases are boxes with random items in them, so you could drop $20 on boxes to get that Ninja Star Of Awesome and not even end up getting the star, just a bunch of random items that, while useful, are not anywhere as good - xp gain boosts and the like. It's terrible.

2 - it's extremely grind-heavy in pretty much every respect.

It's not a bad game, but I can't say I'd recommend it to most people.

True as far as cash store goes. On alternative you could use it to buy gems, sell gems.. Use sold gems to profit off of equipment in auctions. That was what I did, just got some rare stones they sold in cash store and sold them in auctions for a mil or so. ;3

As far as grin heavy.. Well. Dear sir. When is any MMORPG not grind-heavy? >.< Actually it doesn't get harder to level up when you hit 40+, then things slooooow down. ;/

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Shjade

Quote from: Drake Valentine on December 03, 2011, 10:34:54 PM
As far as grin heavy.. Well. Dear sir. When is any MMORPG not grind-heavy?

Most MMORPGs involve some grind; that doesn't make them grind-heavy.

World of Warcraft has a grind to the level cap that's pretty easy. If you know what you're doing you can hit cap in maybe two weeks if you don't try too hard, less if you push. If you're brand new you could still get there in under a month with casual play.

Compare that to, say, Lineage 2, and you'll see a significant difference.

Atlantica Online leans more toward the "requires substantial time" end of the grind scale.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Shjade on December 03, 2011, 11:19:13 PM
Most MMORPGs involve some grind; that doesn't make them grind-heavy.

World of Warcraft has a grind to the level cap that's pretty easy. If you know what you're doing you can hit cap in maybe two weeks if you don't try too hard, less if you push. If you're brand new you could still get there in under a month with casual play.

Compare that to, say, Lineage 2, and you'll see a significant difference.

Atlantica Online leans more toward the "requires substantial time" end of the grind scale.

True, but also AO has/had automatic battle scrolls or whatever they are called(not sure if some are 'unlimited') where you can just let your party run around and do their own thing.

So you can grind when doing other tasks legit! Or come back and weep to find your party dead. Depending where you are up to that point. and how you program your AI to use their skills. ;\

Tamhansen

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 03, 2011, 03:57:27 PM
Has anyone played TOR? How does the beta look?

Tor is a great game, but not so much a traditional MMORPG. The main emphasis is on the story, and they put much effort into it, but this does come at the price of slowing down the game. group instances are full of beautiful cutscenes, but that does mean, that if you're in a random group and one person decides to go look at the cutscene, everybody else has to wait. Not really an issue for me, I loved it, but i can understand people griping about it.

The storylines are great and highly immersive though, and best of all, you get sidekicks during the game, with which you can build a relationship, leading to other quests. Some of them you can even romance.
Can't wait for headstart. Just 11 more days. :)
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

The Dark Raven

If you like old school crafting and no pve combat (there is a lot of political wrangling), try out A Tale in the Desert.  We just started a new telling, and there's plenty of space to settle.  :)

Folks are also very helpful.

www.atitd.org

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Orithyia

I remember playing Silkroad Online and loving the heck out of it... That was back when I was in high school, so it might not be as cool as I remember it to be. I'm going to go see if I can find it again and maybe start playing that again.

I've also played Champions Online and spent more time than I want to admit customizing costumes... But once you get past that it's a pretty fun game.

You could also check out freemmorpglist if you can't find anything and haven't checked them out.

Heartland

Hahaha as geeky and lame as it may sound, I would love for a Harry Potter MMORPG to be developed XD
♥Heartland-xoxox♥

Oniya

There is a Hogwarts Online thingy - I forget if it's in late beta or if it's gone gold already.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

There's Pottermore, is that what you meant?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aiden

Pottermore is still in beta and it is not exactly an MMO.

The Old Republic is awesome, any Star Wars fan would appreciate it even without having played the KoToR series.

HairyHeretic

In sort of related news, the beta sign ups for Planetside 2 have opened.

I'm also interested in Age of Wulin, but again, waiting on beta.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Valth

I would have to agree with everyone who is recommending LOTRO. (: It's really a great game, especially for RP.

However, if you're willing to just stick on WoW and wait a while, I'd definitely recommend waiting for Guild Wars 2.

It's going to be great. :D

By the way! It's supposed to be coming out sometime around March, so you don't have too long to wait. (:

Chris Brady

I agree with anyone who offers LoTRO.  It's a great game.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Wolfy