another windows7 issue

Started by Sybl, March 15, 2012, 07:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybl

I upgraded to Windows7 Pro several months ago. Since then I purchased a Kodak camera which uses a San Disk card. I went on a trip, and tried to get my pictures and videos off the card, in the slot on my computer and nothing happens. Windows7 does not recognize it. It recognizes all other usb ports and cables, but not the disk which is not in the area of the usb thingies.

I do not have the usb cable that goes with the camera, long story short, it was either packaged wrong or the whole connection was installed wrong, the cable does not fit.

I need help on what to do, these pictures and videos are priceless, and I do not wish to lose them.

Also, I am not tech smart or a computer geek .. can someone help in plain English?

jouzinka

You may want to try that SD card with another comp as the connections are sometimes "moody." Also, it's entirely possible, that the card is actually SDHC (high-capacity), which is different from plain SD and the reader in your computer hardware might not support it (depending on its age).

Quick solution would be to buy a USB card reader (they shouldn't be too expensive - I don't think over 20 USD).

Depending if your computer still has warranty and such, you may try to file complaint, but the first thing they'd do would wipe your computer clean to factory settings to ensure that the problem isn't caused by software...

Edit: This is me confusing SanDisk and Secure Digital...

SanDisk is a manufacturer, Secure Digital (or SD) is the format of the card - which is a whole lot of assumption on my part, since they manufacture other formats as well...
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Sybl

My computer is less than 2 years old, it has a reader /slot/ and it read other San Disks before the upgrade, it is not an SDHC, I will contact HP and see what gives.

thank you  Jouzinka

jouzinka

No problem. Does it read other cards (non SD, for example Memory Sticks or xD cards)? Also, if it's HP, you may first try to go to the support page and download the driver for the specific reader as the driver may not be included in the Win7 installation. ;)

Sybl

:) It did not however I contacted HP, and remotely they fixed it in front of my eyes, wow.. I have all my pictures and the videos ...happy dance.
Thanks so much for your help.

jouzinka

LOL, I didn't help any, but glad you have the stuff. *joins Sybl in the dance*

Sybl

You did :D you replied. aww and a cute dancer too  ;)

Autumn Sativus

In the case of an upgrade, you probably just need to re-download the drivers for your card reader.
Check your computer manufacturer's website for driver downloads specific to your computer model.

If you can't find them, what is your computer manufacturer and model number?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Sybl

Thank you Saffron, the issue is fixed and I took your advise and have re-downloaded my drivers. :)

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~