News:

Main Menu

Fallout 3 Review

Started by ZK, October 31, 2008, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

I never had problems with ammunition, not sure why... and no, I did not do melee primarily.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Inkidu

I've only run out of ammo once, but I bought out Underworld for all the ammo they had. I need more railway spikes for my fun-gun though! :D

Hey and it's my first playthrough too. Scrounger and a decent luck special helps with it though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ZK

Yeah, I took Scrounger as well. Only weapons I was always short on ammunition were the Big Guns (minus the Gatling Laser). I had enough 10MM ammunition that it was actually in the 8K range. All my Small Guns ammo were within the 1-8K ranges. o.O I also had a crap load of Energy Ammunition too. Mainly due to Enclave and Talon Company always attacking me left and right.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 19, 2008, 03:22:26 PM
Yeah, I took Scrounger as well. Only weapons I was always short on ammunition were the Big Guns (minus the Gatling Laser). I had enough 10MM ammunition that it was actually in the 8K range. All my Small Guns ammo were within the 1-8K ranges. o.O I also had a crap load of Energy Ammunition too. Mainly due to Enclave and Talon Company always attacking me left and right.
I consider two hundred to be a surplus in all semiautomatic weapons. Five hundred for the A.R. and Submachine gun. You have thousands!  :o
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Destiny Ascension

I was always fine with ammo. I used the Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle most often during my general travels, and then I'd use a shotgun or Chinese Assault Rifle. I used mines and frags alot for enemies that required a lot of ammo to take down like Deathclaws(mother fuckers!!).
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Inkidu

POSSIBLE SPOILER

If I can get my brother to give me some time on the Xbox I'll get to see the leader of the Enclave. Maybe get my first power armor. (Finally got trained. Been looking forward to it for a long while.)

ZK

One quest outcome for "You Gotta Shoot Em In The Head" gets you the strongest Power Armor the T1b Power Armor. Quest Giver is Crowley in The Underworld. He's in the 9th Circle bar.

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 19, 2008, 04:26:48 PM
One quest outcome for "You Gotta Shoot Em In The Head" gets you the strongest Power Armor the T1b Power Armor. Quest Giver is Crowley in The Underworld. He's in the 9th Circle bar.
Sweet. Thanks!

Avi

I typically use the hunting rifle and assault rifles, and I just figured out that super mutants can be a good source of .32 cal ammo.  I can always hunt them if I feel like stocking up. ;D  A.R. is my heavy hitter, if I need it.  And 10mm pistol is desperation.  I'm starting to get more ammo now that I'm working along on the actual quest storyline, and I realized I'd put the difficulty on hard, so I toned it down a tad.  Much less ammo waste-age now. 
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

ZK

When you get all the keys yourself, don't give them to Crowley, go to the base they lost that woman, go to the area required for the "last key" and bamf, in a strange terminal, you'll see the power armor.

magnamos

I'm using the AntAgonizer Armor for fun now :D

Usually I look into the territory I plan to march through and take weapons with me that would make a good addition. I got my home in Megaton so I usually take it from there. In the south are more Rad Scorpions while in the north are more Mirelurks and Molerats. Raiders are nearly everywhere but Super Mutants for example are only in special places or the Downtown D.C. Ruins. I never saw one roaming around. I take these territorial behaviors of my enemies to plan my routes and weaponry.

Minigun, Flamer - Raider, Mercs, Feral Ghouls
10mm Submachinegun, Power Fist - Animals (Radscorpions, Mirelurks, Hounds)
Hunting Rifle, Shotgun, Rock-It, Power Fist - Super Mutants
Pulse 'Nades 'n Mines - Bots of course!

If I have no idea what to expect I usually take the Hunting Rifle, loads of 'nadies and mines along with the Rock-It Launcher and my Power Fist. I'm quiet handy with the Power Fist and you can make small Minefields if you have to make a quick escape. I got plenty of ammo for the Hunting Rifle and it has a good accuracy so I can deal with tough enemies by aiming for vital parts and it's not that bad to fail one or two shots. Every failed shot with .203 hurts badly you know (I'm really really short on that one. Got like 40 Rounds). If something tough appears you can cripple it with the Hunting Rifle to slow it down and bomb it back to it's mother with the Grenades. For everything else there is the Rock-It Launcher just because it has unlimited Ammo. You're fighting on the world's biggest Junkyard of all times and Junk is your ammo. Seriously, if you run out of ammo with the Rock-It Launcher you have to be blind...

Inkidu

I use the 10mm pistol when fighting feral ghouls ( I think I moved up to the submachine gun because of roamers and glowing ones.) I can double-tap them in the head and they usually go down.

Seven Mysterious Stranger Visits. Dude's a life saver sometimes. :D

Avi

Quote from: magnamos on November 20, 2008, 03:46:28 AM

Super Mutants for example are only in special places or the Downtown D.C. Ruins. I never saw one roaming around.

I ran into a pair of them when I was doing the Blood Ties sidequest.  At the old drive in movie theater just east of Arefu.  Be warned, one of them has a frickin' missile launcher, so be prepared with stimpaks if you get clipped.  I took that bastard down with a few .32 rounds to the face.  I never get tired of seeing a Super Mutant's head explode. XD 

And yeah, I use my 10mm for taking out litte piddly enemies like Molerats, bloat flies, or Feral Ghouls.  Standard equipment for me is Hunting Rifle as my main weapon, A.R. as the heavy duty, and 10mm as back-up.  I usually have a few 'nades, but I hardly use them unless I'm desperate.

Inkidu

My custom-made railway rifle is my heavy hittter. It almost always cripples with one hit, and is nice for piercing power armor or tough carapaces. Plus it makes a train whistle when fired. If that's not badass I don't know what is. :D

Avi

Heh, I'll have to find the schematic for that thing, then.  I have a few railway spikes from killing Super Mutants, but I don't know of any good sources for them yet.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:15:26 PM
Heh, I'll have to find the schematic for that thing, then.  I have a few railway spikes from killing Super Mutants, but I don't know of any good sources for them yet.
Me either but if I had to make a guess. Any metro tunnels or robocorp factories would be a good bet. I've almost compiled enough material for another so I can do cheap repair, but I need more spikes. Other than that it's insane.

Avi

The Rock-It Launcher... expensive schematic.  Is it worth it?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:23:23 PM
The Rock-It Launcher... expensive schematic.  Is it worth it?
I wouldn't know. I don't do big guns. Lack of finesse turns me off. 

Avi

Gotcha.  Well, I think I'll look into it on my next run-through.  For now... the train rifle sounds nice. :P  Where do you get the schematic for it?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:33:08 PM
Gotcha.  Well, I think I'll look into it on my next run-through.  For now... the train rifle sounds nice. :P  Where do you get the schematic for it?
I don't know. I must have picked it up as a quest reward or something. I know you can't make it without it, but I just don't remember :P

Avi

I'm assuming that a high repair skill is a must for making good custom weapons, right? 

mannik

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:37:53 PM
I'm assuming that a high repair skill is a must for making good custom weapons, right? 

Having a high repair skill is just a must...

ALL your weapons will benefit greatly.

Inkidu

Quote from: mannik on November 20, 2008, 12:41:35 PM
Having a high repair skill is just a must...

ALL your weapons will benefit greatly.
This is true, mine is around fifty or so with some perks, and it came out half conditioned. I need to get some lunch boxes and cherry bombs and make some bottle cap mines. They're so fun.

Avi

Heh, or you could make them and sell them to buy ammo or stimpaks. ;)

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:57:41 PM
Heh, or you could make them and sell them to buy ammo or stimpaks. ;)
Nah I actually make a nice living selling packages and cartons of cigarettes. It would be so badass if you could smoke one, but no surgeon general says you smoke you die. You can become a chronic alcoholic but not smoke a damn cigarette.