Interest Check for Star Wars Bounty Hunter Game

Started by Pumpkin Seeds, October 15, 2018, 03:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

Checking interest for a game that would revolve around a newly formed Bounty Hunter group.  I would like the aspects of the Bounty Hunter business to be up to the characters with their decisions shaping opportunities and problems they will face.  Such choices might be if they are part of the Bounty Hunter guild, do they take contracts from the Empire, etc.

Rule wise I’d like to use the Star Wars Narrative dice system.  The group will start with both a business and a starship for their travels.  Ideally I’d like the game to have an over arching plot focusing on the morality of hunting, punctuated with the group selecting bounties.  If I can figure out a rule setup I would also like the group to be able to send other bounty hunters in their business {if any} to handle smaller threats and generate income.

Force Users would be allowed, but obviously there is the issue of a force user being hunted by the Empire.

Anyway, if there is enough interest we can proceed toward the actual construction and hammering out details.  Look forward to hearing from people.

Muse

*Steps up*  Reporting for duty, most eloquent and lovely of captains! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Love And Submission

I'm somewhat interested. Is this Edge Of Empire or Age Of Rebellion?  Or a mix?

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Pumpkin Seeds

Edge of the Empire would be the most appropriate, though I would be open to hear a character from the Age of Rebellion careers.

Conundrum

If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Woot.  If there's three than I can start working on more details.

Belisuavious

Tentatively interested, depending on my own schedule

Aethyrium

I would be interested in seeing more details about this as well.

Angie

Oh sure, why not? I can swing more games these days.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Pumpkin Seeds

Alright so we have a nice mix of tentative and strong interest.  I would like to say for anyone still thinking or visiting that I am certainly open to more players. 

At this point I would open the discussion on what sort of Bounty Hunter business people are interested in running here.  There only needs to be one Bounty Hunter to hold the license.  Even if your characters are not liking the taste of the Empire, the license that a Bounty Hunter holds is still required unless you just really want some trouble anytime you are in Imperial territory hunting a target.

I also want this to be more than simply shoot’em up and drag’em back.  There will certainly be moments of fighting and of taking down the target with brutal force.  But finding the target will require chasing, investigation, social and intellectual skills.  Obviously the characters are the final arbitrators in how they pursue a target and which bounties are taken.

When a character is submitted I will also require two things.  The first is a NPC for the business.  This could be a bounty hunter apprentice, the receptionist, the person in charge of sweeping the floor or whatever.  Someone that is part of the business.  I will also require a group the character is associate with outside the business.  Whether this be a gang on some core world planet, a smuggler group, a political party or what have you this will serve as a contact.  In this game there will be contacts that the players can cultivate or destroy with their actions.

Pumpkin Seeds

Reference for Timeline would be Dawn of the Rebellion era and starting level characters please.

Muse

Brainstorming with Pumpkin we put together a rather interesting idea. 

Tentatively naming this guy Randar Tvarn.  He is from a good family on Ryloth, but was low in birth order.  If he couldn't get a military position he'd probably wind up collared and sold. 

Randar didn't like this a bit.  He was ambitious and lusty.  He looked at the harems his older brothers were collecting and wanted that for himself—not just the adoring girls but the power and respect they represented. 

Ambition became motivation.  Randar trained hard under the family's martial arts master—Tehkla Falar.  He picked up the fundamentals of blaster and blade, but excelled beyond all expectation in unarmed combat.  He soon surpassed all but the master himself, all but one.  Tomar, Randar's elder brother, was his fighting equal.  Their rivalry was usually friendly, though it would occasionally spike bitter and vicious.  Both understood in their blood and bone that they their rivalry was pushing them farther and faster than anything else every could. 

As the boys came of age, growing ever stronger, Tehkla came to realize something.  Their prowess and awareness were more than mundane.  The boys were both sensitive to the Force, and tapping into it through his training.  He did not reveal this to them. Rather, he spent many months in quite and fearful contemplation of the consequences he and the family he served would face if these young men were not turned over to the Empire. 

Randar has yet to realize why the Imperials descended upon his home. 

Navana Loi, a teen slave girl who was to become Tomar's third concubine when she came of age in a few weeks time, had caught Randar's fancy with an unhealthy blend of genuine affection and brotherly rivalry.   Randar was 21 one now.  Even as he secretly wooed the young beauty, Randar was planning how he might challenge Tomar for her before he could claim her maidenhood, and in the process claim a higher position in the family. 

Randar and Navana were out in the desert, kissing and watching the stars together when they realized that some of the descending ships were heading for Randar's home.  They crept back to get a look and found his family's compound locked down with storm troopers guarding the entrances.  Tomar was being lead into a lambda shuttle by an inquisitor! 

The next few minutes were thrilling and terrifying beyond all reason, but Randar and his concubine managed to steal a hyperspace capable fighter and flee for the outer rim. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Belisuavious

Name: Icarus Hawke
Species: Human
Obligation: Blackmail (deserter from Imperial forces, guy knows and is demanding money)
Career: Hired Gun, Mercenary Soldier specialization

Icarus Hawke was born on the Outer Rim planet of Endisssh, the son of a miner and the local doctor. Endisssh was colonized for the simple reason that there were large mineral deposits. While it was originally a freeholding planet, problems with pirates and difficulties scheduling supply shipments led to a lot of meetings which culminated in, essentially, selling the planet to a Corporate Sector conglomerate. The metals mined in Endisssh wound up in a whole slew of ships, transports, buildings and other sorts of products. Things should have been better for the people of Endisssh but it turns out that when the planet was purchased, everything was purchased but the people. The people wound up indebted to the Corporate Sector for the homes they had lived in for years, the food shipments they needed to live and the products they bought. Endisssh had been turned into a Company Planet. While there were laws in place to prevent this sort of thing, those were generally only enforced closer to the Core. Out on the Rim, there were no protections for the miners who saw costs rise and wages fall steadily.
The Clone Wars broke out when Icarus was 9 years old, and he suddenly found himself part of the Separatist Alliance, and his family patriotically mining metals to help defend their freedoms. The irony was not lost on many of the people on Endisssh, and soon a resistance movement was thriving on the planet. By the end of the war, Icarus had learned how to scout and shoot, and Icarus was fiercely supportive of the newly formed First Galactic Empire. His fervor was dimmed, but not diminished, when he began to see that conditions on Endisssh were not improving.
Getting off planet by the time he was 19 was difficult, but he managed to scrape together just enough credits to bribe his way on to a supply ship, and from there made his way to an enlistment center. Signing on to join the military which had liberated his planet, believing that while there was some problems with the Empire, it was ultimately a good thing. His first deployment disabused him of that notion, as he found himself fighting against a resistance movement very similar to his own experience during the Clone War. Writing it off as a one-off event, it happened again, and again, until he finally snapped. Icarus deserted the Imperial Army, with the help of a supply officer named Truk Hascig, to whom he is still paying hush money five years later.
Out of a job and qualified only to fight and kill, Icarus Hawke found work as a soldier for hire, working with the Silver Sabers, a mercenary company that specialized in anti-pirate work in places that the Imperial War Machine had marked as a low priority. It was the sort of work Icarus enjoyed, crushing vicious predators preying on the helpless. It also made him a decent amount of money, which he needed to make payments to avoid being marked as a deserter.
The Silver Sabers were disbanded following a massacre off the Triparadesus Asteroid Field, in which multiple pirate gangs merged together to take on the mercenaries. In a matter of hours, the mercenaries were dead or scattered, and Icarus needed to find work before Truk blew the whistle on him. Icarus Hawke and a friend of his who had survived the Triparadesus Massacre made their way to where they had heard bounty hunter groups were hiring. His friend, a Twi’Lek named Asha, had some contacts that landed them a job, himself once again as a hired gun, and Asha as an armourer.

Love And Submission

Name: Nefarious Antrad
Species: Zabrak
Beginning: The High And Mighty
Reason For Adventure: Wrong Place, Wrong Time
Obligation: Oath (Haunted By A Force Ghost)
Career: Colonist, Politico Specialization

Nefarious is the son of a Zabrak general and his family is quite revered  on their homeworld. Nefarious's great uncle is perhaps the family's most interesting member. While Nefarious's grandfather lived on Iridonia his entire life, his brother moved to Dathomir in his early twenties.  It was during Nefarious's  Res Selenoren that his Great Uncle first appeared to him. His great uncle's ghost  has appeared spoardically to him since then though he has ignored it. It was only after he revealed these visions to his parents, that he was encourageed by his parents to explore the universe. His family believes that this vision is an omen that  their ancestors have some great task for him and that he can not complete it on Iridonia. Nefarious believes he is being called to Dathomir and he's traveling along the outer rim to get there.  While he has the finances to make it there, he feels that he is not ready to answer the call so he's taken a few jobs on the outer rim to prepare him for his journey.

Pumpkin Seeds

Looking good so far.  Have a couple of things to add, but will probably get us a proper board soon to do so.

Any input if people want non-con or not?

Love And Submission

What are we thinking about in terms of a ship? I love the ILH-KK Citadel-Class Light Freighter. It has far more offensive capabilities than any of the YT Ships and It's less suspicious since YT ships are so frequently used by smugglers.

Conundrum

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 18, 2018, 09:34:27 AM
Looking good so far.  Have a couple of things to add, but will probably get us a proper board soon to do so.

Any input if people want non-con or not?

I am fine with non-con

Quote from: Love And Submission on October 18, 2018, 02:50:01 PM
What are we thinking about in terms of a ship? I love the ILH-KK Citadel-Class Light Freighter. It has far more offensive capabilities than any of the YT Ships and It's less suspicious since YT ships are so frequently used by smugglers.

Standard rules are the ship cannot cost more than 120,000 and the Citadel costs 200,000.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Love And Submission

Quote from: Conundrum on October 18, 2018, 04:27:41 PM
I am fine with non-con

Standard rules are the ship cannot cost more than 120,000 and the Citadel costs 200,000.

There are creative ways around that cap. We could buy a used ship as opposed to a new one, We could steal a ship or we could just go into debt with The Hutts or Black Sun. There's plenty of people who will give us a loan in the outer rim.

Actually, if we're bounty hunters, We could have just taken the ship in exchange for not turning one of our bounties into The Hutts.

Conundrum

Quote from: Love And Submission on October 18, 2018, 08:03:16 PM
There are creative ways around that cap. We could buy a used ship as opposed to a new one, We could steal a ship or we could just go into debt with The Hutts or Black Sun. There's plenty of people who will give us a loan in the outer rim.

Actually, if we're bounty hunters, We could have just taken the ship in exchange for not turning one of our bounties into The Hutts.

That just seems to be trying to skate around a rule before asking the GM.

Belisuavious

Non-con isn't something I'm personally into but I'm not against it in the game.

As for the ship, I agree that it's for the gm to decide what we get, I know in games I've played and run that it's dependant on both what the group wants and what the gm feels appropriate for a group of low level bounty hunters.

Love And Submission

Quote from: Conundrum on October 19, 2018, 11:21:28 AM
That just seems to be trying to skate around a rule before asking the GM.

Or it's trying to create plot hooks and backstory for our characters?

Marie Reynolds

Tentative Interest, Pumpkin How do you intend to handle the unique dice of this system, Cause E's dice roll  likely wont be up to the task especially since a lot of the dice have an uneven number of symbols and or blank  spots?

Conundrum

Quote from: Love And Submission on October 19, 2018, 04:48:47 PM
Or it's trying to create plot hooks and backstory for our characters?

It is trying to get a ship more than 50% more expensive than base rules allow before asking the GM.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 20, 2018, 09:51:36 AM
Tentative Interest, Pumpkin How do you intend to handle the unique dice of this system, Cause E's dice roll  likely wont be up to the task especially since a lot of the dice have an uneven number of symbols and or blank  spots?
There is a guide in the front of the book for standard dice to unique dice conversions.

edit:
Here it is.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Pumpkin Seeds

I would perfer to work within the rules in terms of the initial ship.  If you want these ideas presented once the game starts then that would be awesome and I will gladly accommodate with some adventures.  As it is the group is starting with both a business and a ship, so is starting with two starting resources.  That seems quite fair.

If you wish to take on more obligation to gain additional credits or expand the business, that is certainly within your ability and rule set to do so.

The best way I have seen to use the dice is simply to use the chart and standard dice.