News:

Main Menu

Who do YOU write like?

Started by RedRose, December 29, 2017, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkwood

Of all the many authors I've read, there are a few that I consciously strive towards:

Alexandre Dumas - The Three Musketeers &c.
Richard K Morgan - Altered Carbon
William Gibson - Neuromancer

I find a certain elegance in their sparse, lean prose; they are decidedly not purple.

TeraMelon

That's a fun site! I put in the three snippets and got:

- Stephen King x 1
- Dan Brown x2

Guess I have some new literature to check out! I've never read them before.

AlekDelaunay

I put in one story, a single paragraph blurb, another story, a short play, and a poem.

I got Anne Rice, Stephen King, Anne Rice again, Agatha Christie, & H. G. Wells.

I find the results to be a bit dubious.

Aspen

I tried it with three  different stories.  Agatha Christie came up for two and Anne Rice for the one. 

Redhorn

Arthur Clarke Thrice
Anne Rice Once

Looks like a trend...
Ons/Offs
Discord: redhorn_

Nen

Mario Puzo
Agatha Christie

I don't believe I've read either author's works, but it seems like they would be very different. Curious!

RainbowKirin

From the two pieces I posted Dan Brown and Agatha Christie

BluLibrarian

Tried 3 pieces from three different stories and I got Agatha Christie, then Anne Rice, then Ruyard Kipling. Huh! Last time I tried one of these I couldn't get anything other than Stephen King, but he didn't show up at all this run. Interesting.

Markus

мαякυs's αωσℓ ησтιcε

ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ɢᴏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ? ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴛ ɪs ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ.

Saxman172

I got Anne Rice twice from two different Roleplays, and Arthur Clark from my thesis. Makes sense that a science paper would be similar to a science fiction writer. Very cool.

CrimsonAlt69

Quote from: Vekseid on January 19, 2018, 08:32:26 AM
Harry Harrison and George Orwell for my first two samples.
Mans got George Orwell, he really is god

Galanthor

ok, that's interesting.

I got Harry Harrison, but really couldn't see it, so out of curiosity, I threw an excerpt from Terry Pratchett in there.

Sir Pratchett got Arthur C. Clark. So...I would guess it works off of word choice rather than sentence structure or similar stuff, kinda curious given that it has an actual AI learning module in there.

clonkertink

Quote from: Galanthor on May 25, 2020, 10:00:29 AM
ok, that's interesting.

I got Harry Harrison, but really couldn't see it, so out of curiosity, I threw an excerpt from Terry Pratchett in there.

Sir Pratchett got Arthur C. Clark. So...I would guess it works off of word choice rather than sentence structure or similar stuff, kinda curious given that it has an actual AI learning module in there.

As someone who's actually learning about Natural Language Processing for work, this actually doesn't surprise me too much. The models I've worked with don't really learn sentence structure. It's more like they learn, "What words appear close to other words?" In fact, a very common method is called "Bag of Words", where it actually jumbles up the order of words in a sentence.

Galanthor

Yeah in a way that's true, but for analyzing writing styles it'd go a long way to consider basic stuff like the length of the sentences, interpunctuation, length of paragraphs, usage of direct speech, etc.

clonkertink

Quote from: Galanthor on May 25, 2020, 10:53:31 AM
Yeah in a way that's true, but for analyzing writing styles it'd go a long way to consider basic stuff like the length of the sentences, interpunctuation, length of paragraphs, usage of direct speech, etc.

Well, that's both the challenge and the beauty of machine learning. For all I know, the model might look at those things. But a big part of machine learning is letting the model find its own patterns. We don't really program an AI telling it "what to look for" so to speak. Instead, we just feed it data, and it figures out what patterns are most striking. In fact, you can't really lift up the hood to examine how the model makes these decisions, because it's just so complex.

Ozolosterna

I got Dan Brown after using a sample from my Now and Forevermore story.

immabanana

I got Agatha Christie 3 times in a row.

I think it's trying to tell me something.
O/O's || Cravings & Ideas || A/A's

Nana is seeking new victims partners.

"I was not proud of what I had learned but I never doubted that it was worth knowing."

TheHangedOne

I write like
Chuck Palahniuk (Me and My Monster)

I write like
Ursula K. Le Guin (Druid's Kassel)

I write like
Stephenie Meyer (Herald of the Storm)

I suppose the lesson here is that I don't actually write like anybody in particular.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Amaris

Or that your writing style changes depending on the content. You could write like all of them at different times.

I only put one sample it, but I got Stephen King

Twisted Crow

Stephen King didn't surprise me, as I get that from others even before doing this. I try to borrow his 'less is more' approach. I am not entirely sure that I execute this well, however.  ;D

Still, I try to take it as praise. He's not the author I wish I was, however (R.A. Salvatore). >_>

Afsana

xD I obviously write like Anne Rice. No matter the text I choose, I always end up with Anne Rice. Now I am not sure if that's a compliment, I couldn't stand reading most of her books, I found her writing style annoying.

JustMildlyPervy

I got Stephen King on one paragraph and Charles Dickens on the next.

I'm at peace with it.

LeapingButterfly

As I hit 'paste' I smirked and sort of knew it would be DFW.
And yep. No surprise there.

That's what you get for blending journalism / anecdotal story telling and semi overanalyzing your own work as you are writing it.
Now the question becomes, do I happen to write like him, or did becoming aware of his writing style pull me more to his writing style because it's useful for telling the type of stories I enjoy telling.
Does it matter?

Are those even valid questions?

Hi reader.
Bye.
You can deny, if you like, nearly all abstractions: justice, beauty, truth, goodness, mind, God. You can deny seriousness, but not play.

Inari

Apparently, I am like Stephen King? ._.

-Edit-

I just took different posts and so far I have:

Steven King
Dan Brown
Ian Fleming

o.o