Mafia Murder Theater: A Midsummer Night's Dream - Understudies Win!

Started by desert ashes, September 03, 2010, 02:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desert ashes

Mafia Murder Theater: The Casting of A Midsummer Night's Dream

For the second time in fifty years since the grand de Chantal Theater has opened its doors, living down the rumors of deadly scandal and deceit, a new set of investors has come calling to budding thespians.  Had the city forgotten how death and plague had once claimed the lives of those on the stage?  Perhaps the new generation of thespians and investors would not remember -- or perhaps it would simply do to liven up the marketing.  Who could resist the temptations of a potentially haunted theater?  All seemed to be going well for the owners of de Chantal Theater as they opened their doors and posted the next casting call -- suitably, of course, for A Midsummer Night's Dream. 

Yet, as the auditions unraveled and directors went behind closed doors, it seemed all was not well for the budding cast and crew of the theater.  Death was once more entering from stage left, his glinting scythe in hand and summoned at the call of the Understudies who felt nothing more than the lingering blood and star lust.  Who ever remembered the Understudies?  Primary roles were a rare chance ... unless, of course, their competition happened to exit stage left as nothing more than a shell of what they arrived in. 

The final auditions have come to an end and while the investors and executive producers have been tucked away making their casting decisions, the ghosts of the de Chantal Theater are rattling their chains as the deathly cry for spotlight is becoming heard once again ...

Cast and Crew
Aiden - Understudy/Nick Bottom
Imogen - Thespian/Helena, Lynched, Act 3 Day
Kyrsa - Thespian/Puck, Killed, Act 1 Night
Leorobin - Thespian/Thesesus, Overtook, Final Act
Lucius Cornelius - Thespian/Lysander, Killed, Act 3 Night
Lypiphera - Thespian/Peter Quince, Overtook, Final Act
Marguerite - Thespian/Stage Manager/Hermia, Lynched, Act 2 Day
Marikir - Thespian/Oberon, Lynched, Act 1 Day
Remiel - Thespian/Director/Francis Flute, Killed, Act 2 Night
The Unholy Potato - Understudy/Robin Starveling
Valerian - Thespian/Titania, Overtook, Final Act
Xandi (Producer) - Understudy/Peaseblossom

Let the drama and comedy begin ...

Everyone is welcome to begin mingling while we're waiting for one or two more to join the cast!
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Imogen

Imogen shrugged off her coat and draped over a hanger in the large dressing room. She raked her fingers through her hair, until the dark locks sprang in all directions. A mischievous smile quirked the woman's lips and she winked at her mirror image as she grabbed her copy of the play and headed towards the stage to acquaint herself with the available space.
"Goodmorning!" She chimed at fellow thespians passing by.

Leafing through the pages of the pay, she avoided the part she wanted to play most. Everyone wanted to play Puck. It was a fact of life, she'd have to content with. At school her classmates fought over the part, and later at college. She sighed and pushed her desire to get into the mischievous spirit's head to the back of her mind and opened her play at the other part that appealed to her: poor, jealous Helena.

She took up a spot at the side of the stage, as if ready to walk in on the conspiring lovers.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Marikir

Marikir glanced up as Imogen walked by, nodding to her at her greetings.  He was glancing over the stage, trying to see the play develop, see what would be crafted by him and the rest.

This being his first major production, it was his hope that it would go well and be received very positively by the audience.  He'd heard the rumors, of course.  Actors are a superstitious lot.  Just look at how another of the Bard's plays was viewed as being cursed if mentioned.  'The Scottish Play' it was called instead.  He chuckled slightly at the thought.  Silly.  Completely silly.

As he turned to walk towards the other end of the stage, Marikir pulled himself up.  Damn ladder.  He'd nearly walked under it.  With a brief pause, he moved around it instead. 

Okay, so...maybe superstitions weren't all silly. Better to just not tempt fate.  That's what Marikir told himself as he suppressed the faint feeling of something dark stalking through the shadowed corners of the theater.

desert ashes

On Stage"My heart is true as steel."   (Producer Voting!)

Cast and Crew
Aiden
Imogen
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Lucius Cornelius
Lypiphera
Marguerite
Marikir
Remiel
The Unholy Potato
Valerian
Xandi

Still Voting: Aiden, Imogen, Kyrsa, Leorobin, Lucius Cornelius, Lypiphera, Marguerite, Marikir, Remiel,  The Unholy Potato, Valerian, Xandi

Voting for the Producer has begun!  As a reminder, the only member you may not vote for is yourself.   
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Kye

Kyrsa sat on the edge of the stage, getting a feel for the theater as she watched the others arrive.  She smiled brightly at each of the other thespians who joined her and made small talk as she tried to decide who would be the best Producer.  She didn't truly know any of them very well after all, but you could tell a lot about people from the way the interacted with others.  It would have helped if they hadn't all been here to play a part, after all you could never trust a true thespian.

"I think Xandi would make a wonderful Producer," she said with a smile for the other woman. 

Autumn52

Xandi smiled at Kyrsa and the others as she heard her name. She was a little shocked but flattered that Kyrsa had faith in her that she could do the important job of the producer.

Xandi looked around and then she focused back on Marguerite and said, "I have always admired Marguerites work and I think she would make a fine producer."

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Valerian

Val was studying the current setup for things like the sandbags, lighting, and curtains.  After having heard so many stories about theatres that were cursed, haunted, and worse, she preferred to see for herself that someone was paying attention to safety around here.

The voting for producer caught her attention, however, and she looked back at the gathering crowd.  "Now that's a difficult decision.  How about Remiel?  I think he'd do a good job."
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

The Unholy Potato

The man who jokingly called himself "the Potato" arrived slightly late, a small bag full of papers clutched to his potato-shaped bulk. He waved cheerily to the other actors and cordially greeted any who seemed in the mood to be so bothered. The bag went into a convenient corner or alcove and the Potato picked up a copy of the play for himself. He then found somewhere to pick through the meat of the play, rereading it a time or two as he waited for the rest of his fellow thespians to arrive.

As such, it was no surprise that he didn't notice the voting going on until a largish crowd had materialized. He reluctantly prized himself from his resting place and waddled over. "I, for one, agree with Krysa. I think Xandi would do well as the producer, though I'm sure others are qualified for the role, as well."

Imogen

Flipping through the pages of her copy, Imogen cast a look of annoyance at the sudden talk of producers. "Whoever wants it, can do it. I'm only interested in playing. Maybe Lucius Cornelius will want the job. What's the producer do anyway? I mean, except pouring money into this production? I don't have a nickel to my name, but I can play." With that, she bowed her head over the book, her lips forming the Helena's words once Lysander and Hermia had left.

How happy some o'er other some can be!
Through Athens I am thought as fair as she.
But what of that? Demetrius thinks not so;

She sighed, and peeked at her fellow Thespians, hoping to see that one dear face amongst them. Not of Demetrius, or other figment of the Great Bard's imagination, but one living, breathing and she hoped, loving being.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

desert ashes

Cast and Crew
Xandi (2) - The Unholy Potato, Kyrsa
Lucius Cornelius (1) - Imogen
Marguerite (1) - Xandi
Remiel (1) - Valerian
Aiden
Imogen
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Lypiphera
Marikir
The Unholy Potato
Valerian

Still Voting: Aiden, Leorobin, Lucius Cornelius, Lypiphera, Marguerite, Marikir, Remiel

Voting for the Producer has begun!  As a reminder, the only member you may not vote for is yourself.
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Lypiphera

Lypiphera arrived nose in book, long strands of her blue-black hair falling errantly over her face as she read, absorbed in the great poetry before her. Without an upward glance she deftly avoided handbags, rucksacks, coats, shoes and any other items abandoned around that auditorium, stepping neatly over them or going around them all together.

It was when she reached the wall of people in the way of her seat that any change happened. Frowning into the book's dog-eared pages as if slightly confused as to why she had stopped before she was in her normal spot she glanced up to find herself in the middle of an enthusiastic debate. Blinking to clear the visions of otherworldly splendour from her mind she considered her fellow performers for a second, head slightly turned to one side.

Then with a half shrug she picked the nearest person to her and voted for him, after all she didn't mind who produced just so long as they had a passion for the work (and who could not!)

"I pick The Potato,"
she said loudly from the back of the group, pointing at the back of his head for emphasis before burying her nose back in the play and edging into a seat on the other side of the group.

Remiel

Remiel sipped from his water bottle, listening to the others.  It was obvious, just by listening to them, that some of them were veteran actors.  He himself had very little experience upon the stage; he had mostly worked as a techie, working the lights or helping to paint the scenery.  His last (and only) role had been as part of the Chorus in Medea.  When you spoke in tandem with several others, you didn't have to worry about freezing up on stage.

And so he thought he'd try out for another role.  This one made him a little nervous, though.  He'd heard about the ill-fated production of Romeo and Juliet, and how all but one of the cast members had been killed in all manner of grisly ways.  So strange that they'd open the theater again so soon.   Oh, well.  As a techie, he knew that every playhouse had their ghost stories...

"Hrm, I didn't know that Imogen was in the cast," he said, recognizing her name from other productions.

Marikir

Odd, Marikir thought to himself, that the producer would be chosen from the cast.  Wouldn't that have been better suited to one who wanted it? 

He shrugged slightly as the conversation turned from one person to another.  He didn't recognize many of the names being thrown about.  He was familiar with a couple, and one by reputation.  Well, since he had no way of knowing much of them beyond such...

"I vote for Marguerite," he said with a shrug.  "She's probably got a fair amount of ideas."

He glanced around as the discussion continued to turn, watching his cast mates with cursory glances.  He was pleased to note that he wasn't the only one looking around, glancing into the dark places above and to the sides of the stage.  Maybe he wasn't the only one to have heard the tales of "that" production.

desert ashes

Cast and Crew
Xandi (5) - The Unholy Potato, Kyrsa, Leorobin, Lucius Cornelius, Aiden
Marguerite (2) - Xandi, Marikir
Imogen (1) - Remiel
Remiel (1) - Valerian
The Unholy Potato (1) - Lypiphera
Aiden
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Lypiphera
Marikir
Valerian

Still Voting: Marguerite

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Zelric Miras

Leorobin rises from his chair after having heard some of his peers cast their vote. He glances at them one after the next, wondering what hides behind their appearances. He recognizes a few faces, although some are just a fading memory in the back of his head, like a breeze that stirs the lonely leave  on the street. "I vote for Xandi, I think she can take the job and do it well." He smiles at the woman in question, remembering a few times they had met in social events after plays like this one.

His experience on this type of stage was a bit scarce when compared with some of the crew,  but he knew his way on stage. Wether it was made of expensive fabrics or concrete walls, wood and ropes, he was there to show a side of himself only a few were acquainted with.

Lucius Cornelius

Lucius smile has he step on the stage, he was a little late but he is happy that nothing has begun yet. smiling he wave a hello to all the old friends from previous plays and eager to know the new ones.

he lean to Imogen and taking her hand, put his lips over the hand "thanks for thinking about me as producer  but right now , only interested in be one more of us "

And over all i truly think that xandi has the experience to do a great work there

Aiden

Autumn52

Xandi smiled at all those who had confidence in her to do the job of producer. She blushed wildly and sat with her script in hand to see who would audition for what part of the play. Xandi thought about auditioning for the part of Hermia, but decided to audition for the part of the fairy queen, Titania.

Speaking softly to herself she recites:
"What, jealous Oberon! Fairies, skip hence:
I have forsworn his bed and company."

She rehearses her lines waiting for the auditions to begin.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Zelric Miras

A blush was a view he always appreciated, still without a further comment he took his seat again while browsing through the pages to decide who he should try for. Lively and mischievous Puck was a part he could see himself in, the lines were challenging but his memory could work with them.

Thou speak'st aright;
I am that merry wanderer of the night.
I jest to Oberon and make him smile

A character of Puck was unlike most of what he had done, perhaps Oberon, conceited, proud and self-assured and another challenge in itself, he could remember a few of the lines by chance, maybe he could remember more?:

How canst thou thus for shame, Titania,
Glance at my credit with Hippolyta,
Knowing I know thy love to Theseus?

"Choices, choices...." He whispered under his breath in the same tone he had used for the lines. His eyes wandered briefly over the rest of the cast, would be someone else competing for those parts? "Certainly", a voice answered back, "leading parts are the first to coveted".

Marguerite

*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

desert ashes

Cast and Crew
Xandi (5) - The Unholy Potato, Kyrsa, Leorobin, Lucius Cornelius, Aiden
Marguerite (2) - Xandi, Marikir
Remiel (2) - Valerian, Marguerite
Imogen (1) - Remiel
The Unholy Potato (1) - Lypiphera
Aiden
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Lypiphera
Marikir
Valerian

So it was with the majority of votes that Xandi was elected Producer, and with that, the auditions began.  One by one various members of the cast were brought forth to play courtier to the darkened figures in the audience.  Yet, not all were completely focused on the happenings of the stage.  No, there were a few rather engrossed on particular competition; there were figures and faces that had to be eliminated, had to be removed from the path of stardom was assuredly meant to be theirs.

Just as the first round of auditions were settling, a blood curdling scream sounded from the prop room.  The body of the beautiful and fair Natalia, who would have made such an exquisite Titania if only she'd had the chance to audition, swung slowly back and forth from a sturdy fake tree where she'd been heartlessly hung.  The ghosts of de Chantal theater were stirring once more for the deadly Understudies had returned.

Who among them could possibly be the dangerous foes?

On Stage"A lion among ladies is a most dreadful thing."   (Lynch Voting!)

Cast and Crew
Aiden
Imogen
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Lucius Cornelius
Lypiphera
Marguerite
Marikir
Remiel
The Unholy Potato
Valerian
Xandi

Still Voting: Aiden, Imogen, Kyrsa, Leorobin, Lucius Cornelius, Lypiphera, Marguerite, Marikir, Remiel,  The Unholy Potato, Valerian, Xandi

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Marikir

Marikir glanced up at the swinging form of Natalia.  He felt a pit of fear collapse into being in his stomach.  No.  No no no. 

His eyes darted from face to face, trying to see if there was any hint to be found.  But, he couldn't see anything there.  In fact, all showed shock.  But which was faked?  Which face was false and secretly held joy at the sight?

And who was next?   

Marikir swallowed to try and wet his suddenly parched throat.  He felt an itch at his throat, an echo of the rope around Natalia's neck.  Better to find them out first.  But he had no evidence...he had to choose someone quickly though.

"Leorobin, I don't suppose you have any knowledge about this?" he asked firmly.

Aiden

"We all know Natalia was no chaste women, but I do believe Lucius was the last one to follow her to her bed chambers, perhaps it is the result of a love triangle gone wrong."

Zelric Miras

"No, I assure you I don't..." Leorobin looked with a long face at the dangling body and then at those around him. He shook his head and sighed, taking a small pocket knife from his coat and a curtain from the props. He headed to the dangling body and cut the rope, placing her on the floor and covering it with the curtain. He looked up from his kneeling spot on the ground as he stored the knife. "She was a promising runner up for Titania. Maybe Kyrsa was close when it happened?"

Kye

Kyrsa had kept her peace, still in shock over Natalia's demise, but at Leorobin's accusation she shook her head, paling as she sat down, her knees shaking slightly as she stared at him.  "How could you believe I had anything to do with her death?  I wasn't even trying out for the part of Titania, I have my heart set on the part of Helena."

She glanced around at all of her fellow Thespians and finally shook her head one last time.  "Even though you accuse me Leorobin I do not believe you are the killer.  I thought I saw The Unholy Potato skulking around near Natalia's dressing room... perhaps he has something to do with it."