Omni Circuit - Recruitment Thread - Semi Hard Scifi Space Horror LGBTQIA Welcome

Started by Tolvo, June 15, 2019, 04:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

Omni Circuit

Omni Circuit World Building Thread

Omni Circuit is a horror story set within a science fiction universe. It will focus upon those living upon the Space Station Priunimus. This is a space station that is host to the research of the Amygdalan Research Foundation which studies matters of the mind and potential psychic discoveries. Located within the Ur system is the planet Aesfon of which Space Station Priunimus orbits. While originally merely host to the Mining Outpost Execraos, after miners there discovered mysterious alien fossils the station above was refitted. Originally it was intended to be the start up for a future colony which would come to replace the station as mining operations upon and below the surface expanded, however many bays within the station were altered to support research into the remains of the aliens.

While psychic capabilities are a known quantity they are not well understood. Those with psychic abilities are incredibly rare and as of yet none have shown much more than minor powers such as talking to someone over a short distance in simple terms telepathically. However upon first coming into contact with the fossils left behind of the Amygdalans/Xenophages those who made contact were given impressions of the creatures left behind. At the start naturally they assumed it was some sort of alien virus that caused hallucinations. When the ARF got involved they were able to determine these fossils were left behind by creatures with powerful brains capable of far more than mere humans.

Years of work have been put into the research program with hiccups from time to time mostly due to environmental problems or crew members seemingly at random losing their minds. Thankfully due to the metal rich planet beneath the station it has been possible to continue to operate without having to worry as much about resources and funding. There is an interest from the military government in th program, as communications that cannot be picked up by any sensors alone would be a great tool in warfare. Yet they seem very displeased with the progress.

If you are interested in joining and/or have questions feel free to post below. I will answer any to the best of my ability. When we have enough accepted characters I will be able to make an OOC thread and an IC thread.

Inspirations for this story include Alien, John Carpenter's The Thing, Dead Space, HP Lovecraft, Silent Hill, Body Snatchers, The Twilight Zone, Shadowrun, System Shock, and Xtro.

Aesfon

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Aesfon is a planet located within the Ur system which is capable of hosting life. Its atmosphere is comprised of Oxygen, Nitrous Oxide, Argon, Nitric Oxide, and Ammonia. This planet is a cold planet as it is located further from it's stars in its system than would be necessary for a warm climate. Because of its mass and size it has gravity that is one point two times stronger than that of Earth. When daylight is present the planet is very bright due to the large abundance of surface ice. Nearly constantly the world will be blanketed in radiation though depending upon the climate there is some level of protection from it. Still it is advise that while the atmosphere is mostly breathable that one should always wear gear to protect one against extreme colds, radiation, and possible toxins brought about due to local vapors and clouds or mining.

It also in the form of ice contains Sulfur Dioxide, Sulfur Trioxide, Xenon, Hydrogen, Helium, Nitrogen, and Iodine. The surface of Aesfon is quite unpleasant despite the breathable air. Bombardments of radiation are regular though there are safe pockets that shift over time depending upon the planet's weather. Many useful and dangerous chemicals are found trapped within ice that covers most of the planet. At all times while the planet itself is cold the heat from the constant daylight and radiation causes much of thee surface of the ice to turn to vapor then form clouds which can be extremely acidic. Because of the large amounts of iodine in certain regions parts of aesfon appear quite violet. While hydrogen and helium would normally be able to escape as gases from the atmosphere due to the temperature the planet is quite rich in them within its stores of ice.

Aesfon has two stars in its system. A Class B Blue Giant and a Class A White Dwarf. This causes the planet Aesfon and other planets in its system to have shades of blue lighting naturally. It can very from planet to planet with some being a deeper azure while others are closer to a lighter cyan. As it is a binary star system this causes two shadows to be cast depending upon the current placement of the stars and the planets. Due to its rotation Aesfon has daylight for on average three standard days and three standard nights. As the planet rotates perpendicular to to the rotation around the stars there is not as much variance between latitudes as there is on Earth.

Underneath its surface and within the thick layers of the planet's crust is what brought many of those residing there currently. Hidden under the ice ar large stores of aluminum, iron, copper, zinc, magnetite, rutile, ilmenite, titanium, vanadium, lead, silver, magnesium, chromium, palladium, corundum, boron, silicon, quartz, zirconium, and more. After early surveying it became clear the planet would need to be used for mining. Currently the mining operations are still in the rather early stages before entire colonies can be set up with factories that can process and produce in space then ship to other locations. Despite how hostile the planet is there is life on it. Much of the life is sulfur based, as are the life forms whose fossils the Amgydalan Research Foundation have come to research. As well there is flora which is a mixture of sulfur and carbon based. Beneath the surface is where much of the life has formed with organisms similar to fungus very deep and near warm pockets. Large vents exist that lead deep in Aesfon which vent heat towards the surface creating zones with relative warmth and springs which may or may not be toxic. Around them has formed small oasis.

RP Rules

1: I Tolvo am the GM, I get the final say in regards to matters of the world and setting. However players can contribute I just have to accept something for it to be canon to the RP.
2: Do not cause harm to other players. Teasing can be fine but please respect if someone else asks for something to stop. Do not be hostile towards other players.
3: Please do not post offensive content. This can be very subjective, try to use your best judgement but for more direct things I do not want to see racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, ageism, body shaming, basically do not disrespect, attack, or post cruel things about people's identities. I will give warnings but if people refuse to stop I will ask them to leave the RP.
4: Do not meta game. Do not try to powergame. This is a horror story and is about paranoia, dealing with the unknown, feeling vulnerable, and a constant sense of dread. Character's won't be running around with rifles shooting every threat in the head so there's additionally no point in even doing that, frankly it'd be very dangerous for any character to do that for themself.
5: Don't try to ruin the experience for other players. At times you may put into motion things that can make it harder for other players, that can just happen. This is in regards to people intentionally trying to give other players a hard time and if I get the feeling someone joined for the purpose of PvP I will ask them to leave.
6: Ask for consent. This roleplay will not depict rape at all. Talking about it can be another matter if it is handled tastefully but flat out there will be no rape scenes.
7: Try to phrase actions as attempts. This is not require for very simple tasks like speaking to a voice activated system or looking with on's eyes. This is more so for when someone has to actually put in effort to do something which will impact their well-being and the well-being of others. This will have more of a presence once the catastrophe starts.

Game:

• Section the Game will be placed in and whether it is a system game or not. This is not a system game. It will have the element of attempts and failure and success but it will be judgement and discussion based with a focus on roleplaying and story and character development. This game will have to go in the extreme section, while not their for sexual content the amount of gore and violence and dread will make it mandatory that it goes in extreme.
  • Who is the RP open to? (Gender, Sexuality, etc..?) This RP is open to all. 
  • Short Summary of Player Roles and General Story/Plot. Players will be in the role of characters who find themselves trapped in a horrible event that will leave themselves in a constant state of being hunted as they try to help each other and save who they can before escaping doom.   
  • Setting. Please see the World Building Thread for Omni Circuit for more.   
  • Plot Outline. The story of Omni Circuit will follow some classic stages for science fiction horror. It will start with the introduction and set up for what will lead to the main events of the roleplay. Catastrophe will eventually come and create a state of fighting for each character's survival while isolated from any help, this will lead into players working their way throughout the space station and mining outpost to try and find some way of escape while preventing further escalations of the situation by maintaining still working systems an machinery and handling threats to everyone. This will also include a lot of working to uncover who can and cannot be trusted and will deal with paranoia and psychological horror.     
  • Character creation info/guidelines if any. They are above the character sheet template.   
  • Required Resources (If any) The World Building Thread for Omni Circuit can be found here. Not every single piece and section needs to be read, much of it is further details. The main story sections however are required but most are short summaries. This thread is more for easy reference and to act as shared notes to keep the RP consistent without a need for retcons.     
  • Game Pacing.     
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any? Sexual activity is not the focus of this roleplay. It is a mature story and sex can happen but I'd like it to happen only if it serves a purpose. If it helps with character development, will have a story impact, or if it will help set up a situation. Sex will be quite dangerous in this story anyway and players may find it hard to find situations erotic anyway though there are those who will fin it more erotic.   
  • Whether tagging will be used or not. Currently no plans to use them.   
Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)

• Will there be a Co-GM? Currently there are no plans for a Co-GM.
  • How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)? This will be a guided story. Players can make choices and alter the specifics of th story however there is an outline for events and stages of the story with players choosing how their characters fit into those events and how it will impact them.
  • What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details? For creating elements approval is required as I need to make sure it fits the world and won't cause problems down the line. For using things in the environment I would ask that player post they attempt something unless it is something really simple like picking up a drink or pressing a button on a wall.
  • How NPC's will be handled: The GM will control the NPC's and allow players to focus on their own characters similar to a tabletop RPG.
  • How active will the GM be? I will be as active as I can be and will attempt to be on every day barring special occasions. 
  • Will there be an OOC thread? There will be an OOC thread, using it is required as communication will be highly important. Please use it to ask any questions and if possible to plan ideas with others and discuss the RP.
  • How to contact/approach GM with questions? For most things please post in the OOC, that way others can discuss matters or see replies. If you wish to do something a bit more behind the scenes that can be revealed later for an interesting moment that can be PM'ed to me.
  • How will decisions be resolved? Decisions will be resolved via judgement calls with the GM having the final say. If people feel a judgement was unfair it is alright to ask for a change or for further explanation. 
  • Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)? Player versus player would be an extreme detriment to everyone in the RP if done intentionally. However friendly fire is a very common risk within this setting. If I get the feeling players are intentionally targeting other players' characters I will sk them to stop. 
Additional:

• A note to Respect Other players (Offs etc..) Respect the offs of others and their boundaries. Ask permission before doing anything to another person's character.   
  • Player Participation Expectations. Please post at least once a week. More is better however I know not everyone can post every day and many people are in multiple RP's, have other responsibilities, or simply might not want to post every day.   
  • Discuss how new players will be brought into the game (if the game is already running.) Player characters who are brought in can have it done in a number of ways. If it is before the catastrophe it'll be as simple as it is when the RP starts. After things have gone quite sour though will have to be done a bit differently. They can wake up from hibernation, have their clone have just been revived automatically(After they died during the events), there can also be a brief sort of flashback summary of what they were doing leading up to the events and how they got where they were, I'd just talk it over with them and ask how they might like to be introduced.   
  • Writing Style: Third person please. I'm not really a stickler about past or present tense, more so I focus on the flow of sentences.      

Character Sheet and Characters

Players are allowed one character each. If a character dies the player may choose to make a new one or can have them revive via one of the methods available such as cloning. If there are any questions please feel free to ask them. For characters there will be a drafting phase, then an accepted draft. This sheet may be updated with new information depending upon what happens within the RP. I will keep copies of characters for cross referencing and just in case anything gets lost. Please delete the parts in parenthesis, () these, when submitting a character. You may publicly post character sheets and working on them with other players within the group is encouraged. People may not post In Character unless I have accepted their character.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Character Image: (Optional. A description for appearance below is mandatory however. You have to be able to describe your character, this is a text based form of roleplay. Please use float right for the image and place it at the start of the character sheet. Delete this section if you do not wish to include an image. Please size the image to make the sheet legible. If you want to you can also just link to the image here to avoid having to figure out how to format it).
Player Name: (The name of you the player, this helps with keeping track of who plays what character. Though we'll likely be very used to who plays who as the RP starts and progresses).
Character Primary Name: (This is the primary name a character goes by. This does not need to be their legal name).
Character Alias(es): (The aliases a character goes by. Characters can go by many names for a variety of reasons).
Character Pronoun(s): (Pronouns for the character, please do not put jokes here).
Character Legal Name: (The legal name of a character that is recognized by the governments of society. This name will traditionally be as follows. Personal name first, middle name second, family name third. On top of this people may have a fourth name which can be from a second parent. This is more culture dependent in regards to how last names work regarding marriages and parents. Additionally if someone is a product of a company or government creating them they are given a generic family name. Legal names at the end also include a personal identity number which is 32 digits long which can have alphabetical letters mixed in. This can be more detailed and complicated but I don't want players to have to worry too much about this so just make up one you like or ask me to give one and I'll give it).

Character Appearance: (Note, this is what the character looks like. This does not include clothing however it will include implants and cybernetics. If it is considered a part of the body it goes here).
Height: (Your character's height).
Weight: (Your character's weight).

Character History: (Your character's actual history. Please be detailed if possible. Please remember that people tend to have various connections they make over the course of their life. These connections may pop up or appear within the RP, so these are story tools we can bring to the fore within the story. Please also include life events. The psychology of player characters can greatly effect the roleplay).
Public Perception: (This is how your character is viewed by others. Various different groups and kinds of people may view them differently from one another. People don't tend to be liked by everyone or hated by everyone).
Job(s): (Your characters job. You cannot be a commanding officer or someone in a really high position. You may have multiple jobs. Keep in mind your character will actually be expected to act befitting their role and can have restrictions depending upon the demands and responsibilities of the job. Jobs will also help with explaining the skills and knowledge your character has. For instance a mechanic knowing how to fix a mechanical issue makes a lot of sense. A pilot suddenly know the intricacies of working a nuclear reactor is less likely though still possible).
Living Situation: (Your character's living situation goes here, that is who they live with, the conditions they live in, their living space, their social and economic class).

[b]Character Image:[/b] (Optional. A description for appearance below is mandatory however. You have to be able to describe your character, this is a text based form of roleplay. Please use float right for the image and place it at the start of the character sheet. Delete this section if you do not wish to include an image. Please size the image to make the sheet legible. If you want to you can also just link to the image here to avoid having to figure out how to format it).
[b]Player Name:[/b] (The name of you the player, this helps with keeping track of who plays what character. Though we'll likely be very used to who plays who as the RP starts and progresses).
[b]Character Primary Name:[/b] (This is the primary name a character goes by. This does not need to be their legal name).
[b]Character Alias(es):[/b] (The aliases a character goes by. Characters can go by many names for a variety of reasons).
[b]Character Pronoun(s):[/b] (Pronouns for the character, please do not put jokes here).
[b]Character Legal Name:[/b] (The legal name of a character that is recognized by the governments of society. This name will traditionally be as follows. Personal name first, middle name second, family name third. On top of this people may have a fourth name which can be from a second parent. This is more culture dependent in regards to how last names work regarding marriages and parents. Additionally if someone is a product of a company or government creating them they are given a generic family name. Legal names at the end also include a personal identity number which is 32 digits long which can have alphabetical letters mixed in. This can be more detailed and complicated but I don't want players to have to worry too much about this so just make up one you like or ask me to give one and I'll give it).

[b]Character Appearance:[/b] (Note, this is what the character looks like. This does not include clothing however it will include implants and cybernetics. If it is considered a part of the body it goes here).
[b]Age:[/b] (Earth standard years, must be 18 or older)
[b]Height:[/b] (Your character's height).
[b]Weight:[/b] (Your character's weight).

[b]Character History:[/b] (Your character's actual history. Please be detailed if possible. Please remember that people tend to have various connections they make over the course of their life. These connections may pop up or appear within the RP, so these are story tools we can bring to the fore within the story. Please also include life events. The psychology of player characters can greatly effect the roleplay).
[b]Public Perception:[/b] (This is how your character is viewed by others. Various different groups and kinds of people may view them differently from one another. People don't tend to be liked by everyone or hated by everyone).
[b]Job(s):[/b] (Your characters job. You cannot be a commanding officer or someone in a really high position. You may have multiple jobs. Keep in mind your character will actually be expected to act befitting their role and can have restrictions depending upon the demands and responsibilities of the job. Jobs will also help with explaining the skills and knowledge your character has. For instance a mechanic knowing how to fix a mechanical issue makes a lot of sense. A pilot suddenly know the intricacies of working a nuclear reactor is less likely though still possible).
[b]Living Situation:[/b] (Your character's living situation goes here, that is who they live with, the conditions they live in, their living space, their social and economic class).

Writersblockade

Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Tolvo

Glad to hear, let me know if you have any questions about the RP. ^_^

Kit

Heya Tolvo !
I am as well interested in this roleplay. I just watched a 7 episode long critic of all the alien films on YouTube so I'm in quite in the mood for oppressive and mysterious cosmic horror.
I'll post my character sheet later when I figure out who I want to be.

Tolvo

Glad to hear, do let me know if you have any questions. I like to help out and clarify things when possible to help out. I'll also be updating the world building thread to define more of the not yet filled in parts(Just got back from Father's Day stuff), the main parts I wanted to get finished so that people could make their characters while working on some of the more minor details like certain companies. And if people want to make suggestions for things to add feel free. RP'ing is collaborative after all. ^_^

Kit

Hi Tolvo !
I had a question about the legal name. Is the 32 digit long personal ID number necessary ? Because if so I'll just probably just roll my head on my keyboard and see what it gives me.

Tolvo

It is a part of the world, to help with keeping identities clear since the human population is so incredibly massive now and with people being born outside of communication range the actual population is not actually known to people. It's a way to help as otherwise one could end up needing 10 different names. But also you can just roll your head on your keyboard to get the number. I thought about a system for determining it based on what star system a person is born in, when, their government, their parent(s), for determining what numbers end up in it. But then I thought "That sounds like a lot of very complicated and confusing work and I'd have to do that for every single NPC and players would fucking hate doing that and I don't want to either." For the most part I expect people to just copy and paste it if it comes up in posts. It's to help in moments with dehumanization and reminding characters they are simply a number within a system to those who control society. Things like if someone gets arrested, has to make purchases, etc. In character they probably know their number like their name. For us it's more of a story tool and a part of putting it in the sheet is we can always know right where it is to click, drag, right click, copy.

Kit

Here is my Character !

Character Description: An old grizzled  white-haired, brown-eyes man around his 60's. He has deep wrinkles placed in a way that anyone can guess he hasn't laughed a lot in life. Maybe because half his under-jaw has been blown away, replaced by a artificial one. This implant is highly realistic and can simulate touch and muscle movement by a nano-technologic fiber system, but still seems out of place by its grey metallic color in contrast to his Caucasian slightly tanned skin color. The other half of his jaw is clean shaven and he has thick white eyebrows who on the contrary are never maintained. Apart from his handicap, he has what seems to be bullet wounds covering various parts of his body. He has a solid musculature with broad soldiers and thick muscles, showing his abundance of testosterone. He is of average height, in space-borns height that is, which is 6'0.8".
Player Name: Kit
Character Primary Name: Andy
Character Pronoun: He
Character Alias(es): Colonel
Character Legal Name: Andy Stue Spencer Sanders HLSVGLGMWS5A62417953146065366314

Height: 6'0.8"
Weight: 209 lbs

Character History: Andy is a space-born, which means legally that he wasn't born on or in a planet's, moon's, asteroid's, comet's,  moon/earth-sized space station's atmosphere. In simpler terms, he was born on a refugee spaceship, to parents that were victims of the destruction of the Proxima Centauri b planet, their home planet.
He detested his poor situation and grabbed the first chance he got to escape this wretched life of his by joining the army at the young age of 18, joining the 108'th Smallsodier Mecha Squadron. He has remained with them for a long time, climbing up ranks thanks to his undying loyalty and hard discipline until becoming Major General at the age of 50, although everyone called him colonel. Then during the Third Coalition Laoxi War, his entire squadron was decimated by AI controlled war machines, leaving him the only survivor with half his face blown away. He miraculously recovered thanks to advanced prosthetic technology, but soon after, his side lost the war, making him jobless after the dismantling of the army he was in. Forgotten war hero and officially crippled, even though totally capable, he soon found himself a mining mecha pilot on the lost Planet of Aesfon. This wasn't worthy of an Army General, but it meant a roof over his head and food on his plate, so he didn't complain.
Lost on a far away planet for an unknown mining mission and without children, a wife or any kind of family to miss him, the only reason for him to not end his days was that he learned during his career that suicide is the most dishonorable death you can have.
Public Perception: Has a deep hatred for IA controlled machines, and it goes both ways. He treats fellow army men with respect and, even if they do not know his Military background, they see in him a severe but just army veteran. He inspires sometimes fear, sometimes curiosity for the common folk.
Job(s): Mining-Mecha Driver.
Living Situation: Has the bare minimum. A tiny assigned living quarter in the mining facility where he lives along with a hundred or so co-workers, each with a tiny living space as well, except for those with more important careers. Eats artificial meat and nutritive goop given in the canteen. Doesn't win enough money to retire any time soon.

Heinakori

I'll plant my interest-flag right about here.

And as you seem to be talking about Personal ID-numbers with numbers and letters mixed in, I'll throw my uninvited two cents in. I think that even when having a massive population of population there's no need to use a 32 digit ID-number for us to roll our heads in.

And the solution is here:
"The length of an IPv6 address is 128 bits, compared with 32 bits in IPv4. The address space therefore has 2128 or approximately 3.4×1038 addresses (340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456, which is approximately 340 undecillion, or 340 billion billion billion billion, addresses)."

Now someone thinks: "Oh, great that you show your smarty-nerdyness here, but IPv6 addresses are also presented in a *minimum* of 32 digits."
Not exactly. https://chrisgrundemann.com/index.php/2012/introducing-ipv6-understanding-ipv6-addresses/

We could spare everyone some time writing the id-number in hexagon's (and thus saving us some foreheads from rolling on the keyboard) AND be sci-fi nerdy AND authentic at the same time!
I thus propose that the ID's would be 8-digit hexagon-addresses for the PC's, e.g. 188a:db8::e

The left side of my brain wants to comment that "don't you suppose that all the IPv6 addresses should be consumed for IoT-devices in that far in the future, and that there's a chance for not enough ID-addresses for human beings? And what if machines do mix human and device-addresses?"
The right side of my brain got excited from the latter question: maybe that's part of the horrors we are going to meet!

*cough* ... I'm so sorry.
Here's my flag of interest still. :)
O/O

Tolvo

@Kit He looks good though I do want to ask how come Colonel is listed as a pronoun? I did ask that people not put jokes there for a reason though I understand if that was just an error. Having a washed up begrudging war veteran could be an interesting story beat for this. Especially given the potentials of using the sorts of things he hs experienced with the horrors of space war.

@Heinakori I'm glad you're interested. I have a lot of issues with numbers personally(When I read them they often end up jumbled as I stare at them) so I kind of wanted a simpler system for ID. That looks interesting but it also looks really complicated and I don't know if everyone would be able to work with that system, I know I definitely would really struggle. ^_^;

Kit

Yeah sorry my bad, my brains didn't quite comprehend the term "pronoun" until now.
About Andy I thought about an old army veteran having terrifying flashbacks and being traumatized by his past life when writing him. So it would be fun for you to take advantage of that I admit  ;D

Tolvo

Ah okay.

And yeah it'll likely work well with the psychological horror elements. ^_^

Doji Hoturi

Interested. I will look at getting a rough character up in the next day or two.

Tolvo

Heinakori

@Tolvo it's simple, just type out character ID in a combination of eight symbols, from 1-9 and then from A-F to represent numbers 10-16. So when we have to use two digit slot to represent number 12, or 1110 in binary numbers, this system let's us represent it with only one symbol: C.

This is a clonky example, I know. In our game-use, choose an ID from 8 numbers and letters ranging from 1 to 9 and A to F.
//1A2B:002F for example. Or //AAA1:9993, it's good as any.

It saves a LOT of initial typing and fits better for the massive, massive surge of ID-numbers and IP-numbers of our future. Plus it saves from us slapping keyboard for 32 numbers. :D
O/O

Tolvo

As I said I don't really want to do things that complex which we'd end up having to do for every character. Especially on my end numbers end up jumbled when I look at them. I can't read well numbers larger than three digits, can't really multiply or divide numbers larger than two digits. It makes me really dizzy and sick to look at them, the code is just a string of numbers that don't individually need any meaning and even it will be a little hard but we can just copy and paste. It's just physically impossible for me to do something like that because of the way I was born. ^_^;

Heinakori

Hehe, I ain't forcing anything down nor do I see this as an issue big enough to argue about it.
Though "0000 1289 3719 6285 4210 5899 2184 7775" vs "1a02-ff83" is my point.

Don’t get tangled in the divide-by or the math behind it. My point is that with a number-letter combination of eight is more than enough to give sixteen billion people proper ID's for us to paste.

It's your game, your world, we play by your rules.  :-)
O/O

Tolvo

Alright thank you for being understanding. It's not that it's a bad system it just hurts me physically to look at. ^_^;

I was wondering would people like a map of the locations? Done in an over the top perspective grid format. I've done that for RP's before, sometimes people get too focused on the maps though so I'm unsure.

Tolvo

I'll post a sort of example below though it is a simpler version of the stuff I can do. Something like this, with enough detail to know what areas and locations are. It's helpful for navigation and making movement make sense rather than realizing "Wait if we took two rights in this spot last time. We ended up in the engine room. That means if we took a left, the kitchen is on the other side of the engine room?" It helps to keep things coherent and consistent though at times I just keep it for personal use, since players might hyper focus on a low detail room and do things like assume a room is empty because despite describing lots of machinery it isn't visible on the map(Where it's much harder to represent that). Or for maps that change as players add things with people assuming they can't add things since the map looks done to them.

Using GIMP I can make grids and keep things of reasonable sizes with clear paths and areas with labels, minor details, but more importantly orientation and context for what is where. by using multiple layers I can easily stack multiple decks/stories of an area to make sure the building's shape also makes sense, that where places both horizontally and vertically are makes more sense. I've been considering more depth for the layout of the station, and how exactly it should be structured while looking at real life designs and hypothetical ones. Something like an O'Neil Cylinder is far too grand for this sort of station. A multi ringed space station, almost like DS9, seems easier to map out and also draw.

Kit

Is this project still ongoing ? Also I'll post this to top this thread.

Tolvo

Yes it is, though it seems like it hasn't really gotten the attention of many right away. Which I knew was a possibility, it is a pretty niche RP but perhaps in time people will show more interest.

Brittlby

I'm torn between putting together a Mechanic or a Doctor... Not sure which is more likely to get killed first.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Tolvo

Either would be a useful profession to have. Being able to treat injuries or fix mechanical issues would be pretty useful skills to have. Mechanical, electrical, and biological failures, are going to be a big part of the RP. Having a variety of characters with different skillsets would also help round things out and help with driving the narrative. Such as a character having the ability to possibly solve a problem so they have something to work towards, like if something is broken that they can fix which will help with survival it would be important for them to get the needed tools to repair whatever it is, and people would be inclined to make sure they get there or perhaps might seek to prevent them.

Brittlby

Mechanic it is! I'll put something together today after I finish reading the world building thread, thanks!
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues

O/O

Dominique

I think this is an amazing story idea and if you'll forgive me for being slow coming up with a character, then I'm definitely interested! And since Brittlby is picking mechanic, I find the idea of a doctor really really tempting.

Tolvo

Sounds great, and don't worry about being slow with character creation we seem to slowly be getting people so there's definitely no need to rush. It was actually a slight concern of mine that people might join with all soldiers, which soldier characters can work but sometimes people want to solve all conflicts in stories with guns which really wouldn't work in this story. But something like a doctor could actually help out others and themselves far more. As it is psychological horror for instance someone who can help people recognize thought processes, hallucinations, who can help prevent people from making rash decisions or panicking, would be very useful.

Kit

Fierbali111

Interested, maybe I'll play a young psychologist as losing your mind seems to be a likely problem in the abyss. Will read up more when I have the time.

Tolvo

Vonandi

I realize expressing interest doesn't amount to much at this point but I'm interested in playing someone combat oriented, seeing as everyone else seems to be content playing a squishy nerd. That or a janitor..

blue bunny sparkle

I have some interest. This looks like an amazing idea! Would you have need of a Botanist?

Tolvo

It's a bit tricky as its hard to know how many people are still interested. I'm wondering if I should simply mark it as closed since it seemed like not enough people showed interest or made characters and every now and then people pop in but when they do others had since lost interest. That way I don't waste anyone's time with something that just didn't take off(It is a very niche plot for an RP I knew it was definitely a gamble whether anyone would join in the first place).

Vonandi

You could send out PMs.. I was a little Leary of posting a character seeing how slow the proceedings were going but I will if it'll get a chain reaction going.

Brittlby

I'm still about and my Mechanic is finished. Should we have a roll call?

O/O

Tolvo

Hmm true we could do a roll call, I'll post this here first to check for those who want to respond in thread, then later today I'll check via PM's those who did not post in here today.

Tolvo

I've not sent those yet, I do apologize, some stuff has been going on relating to family and now I'm wondering if in general I'm going to be too anxious to run this right now and too stressed. I think I just need to close the thread at least for now, things are getting a bit too much to handle and I feel bad about the idea of wasting people's time and keeping this dangling out there.