Who do YOU write like?

Started by RedRose, December 29, 2017, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina Minx

Quote from: RedRose on December 29, 2017, 11:21:06 AM
I hope this is the right place!

https://iwl.me/

So who is it for you?

I tried with various posts, got Anne Rice several times, Stephen King and Cory Doctorow twice, and Arthur Clarke and Agatha Christie once  ???

I fed in various writers. Michael Connelly writes like Stephen King. Stephen King writes like Agatha Christie. Agatha Christie writes like HG Wells. HG Wells writes like Daniel Defoe. Daniel Defoe writes like James Fenimore Cooper...

Revenant

Stephen King; Orson Wells; and, Dan Brown

Wow. Interesting.

RipTide

I got two Anne Rice and one Leo Tolstoy.. That is certainly a flattering combination.

Posting Rate = 1-2 posts/story/week

What Does a Siren Crave? === What Does a Siren Prefer?

silverfur

J.R.R Tolkien I am really happy about that. would also like Robert Frost or Robert Louis Stevenson two of my other favorite writers.

Dragongoddess

After putting in a good 25 or so different posts I have made, I have found that Steven King is the main name that pops up.  I have also seen Cory Doctorow, Leo Tolstoy, and Anne Rice.  At first I believed I received Steven King because I have been reading his books lately.  Now, I'm not too sure if that actually is the case.

Writersblockade

Three posts from three different stories got me Stephen King and two Cory Doctorow, whom I've never even read before lol
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Nico

Hue Ran

I went ahead and test 20 different posts and got Anne Rice 10 times, Agatha Christie twice, Cory Doctorow twice, Arthur Clarke twice, Stephen King 3 times, and finally Dan Brown once.

So I think based off of this I can assume I write similarly to Anne Rice.

Argyros

I like the premise of this website; it is a very fun, intriguing analytical tool.

I input several excerpts of my writing – new and old* – and received the following results:

Dan Brown (x 5)
Arthur Clarke (x 3)
Anne Rice
J.K. Rowling

* – In order of ascending (new) to descending (old).

The oldest excerpts were written ten years ago (2008), while the newest ones were written last year (2018). Proof that a writer's style can change over time!
< Status: Gone >

Iniquitous

Apparently I write like Agatha Christie.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Lyron

So um, being the dork I am, I decided to try this with five different characters because I try to tweak the narrative voice to suit each one, and I was curious if that would affect the system's results at all. Arthur Clarke was the only match for all five, although Anne Rice followed close behind and appeared the most overall. Two of my characters are/were apparently all over the place, because one resulted in five authors and the other gave me six. ::) Oops.

Anne Rice x6
Arthur Clarke x5
Stephen King x4
Cory Doctorow x2
Dan Brown x2
Agatha Christie x2
Chuck Palahniuk

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Character 1
Stephen King x3
Cory Doctorow
Arthur Clarke
Dan Brown
Chuck Palahniuk

Character 2
Arthur Clarke
Anne Rice

Character 3
Anne Rice x3
Arthur Clarke

Character 4
Arthur Clarke x3
Anne Rice
Agatha Christie

Character 5
Cory Doctorow
Stephen King
Dan Brown
Anne Rice
Arthur Clarke x2
Agatha Christie

M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

Tolvo

The tool gave me Agatha Christie. Never heard that one about my writing before.

I don't really know who I write like, it's really hard for me to judge.

What I usually get told is.

Lovecraft
Stephen King
Harlan Ellison
George RR Martin
RA Salvatore
Timothy Zahn
Claudia Gray
Mary Shelley
Tolkien
Kentaro Miura
Hirohiko Araki

But I don't know if any of them are really accurate. But some do make sense since their works have been a big influence on me(Except Martin and Stephen King). I don't think I've even read Agatha Christie though.

TheLionKing

I apparently write like James Joyce. https://iwl.me/s/d760c1b4

I did another sample of writing and got Arthur Conan Doyle https://iwl.me/s/f2fcfd6c

Lyron

I wish I had novels from some of these authors, to see if they actually write like themselves. XD

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

TheGlyphstone

I apparently write like Dan Brown.

Imma go cry now. :D

Callie Del Noire

RedRose

Quote from: Lyron on January 02, 2019, 11:02:14 AM
I wish I had novels from some of these authors, to see if they actually write like themselves. XD

I need to try this. Oh well, I do have them but probably in French… I'll check if I have one or two in English though.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

LostInTheMist

My posts for the site are all over the place, but having submitted several off-site short stories that I have written, I keep getting "Agatha Christie".

For fun I put in some stuff that I've written in collaboration with others, and it also comes out as "Agatha Christie". Maybe I seek out partners who write like me? I don't know. Or maybe the fact that about half of it was me is enough to tip the scales?

On the other hand, I've been told by creative writing teachers that my style is similar to Martin Amis and Jack London,  though this may have to do with the fact that a number of the stories I wrote for those classes dealt with a post-apocalyptic snow-covered world where freezing to death was more likely than anything else. (Teachers love post-apocalyptic worlds. At least my teachers did.)
My Apologies and Absences  Updated February 23, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: All systems green. Posting is being brought up to current.

Lyron

Quote from: RedRose on January 02, 2019, 01:28:56 PM
I need to try this. Oh well, I do have them but probably in French… I'll check if I have one or two in English though.

If you do try it out, let us know what you find! I'd be interested. :D

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Callie Del Noire

Adding a new sample I now have:

Anne Rice (x3)
Ian Fleming
Stephen King

Lovely Complex

I got Stephen King and Cory Doctorow.

I'm okay with that c:
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

Imogen

Several posts of the same story gave me Arthur C. Clarke. Good for me for being consistent, I guess :-)

Across the board, for my other stories, Anne Rice is the most common with the occasional Clarke, Hemingway or Mario Puzo thrown in.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

TheGlyphstone

Excerpts from my offsite short story got me Stephanie Meyer, Arthur Clarke, JK Rowling, and...Dan Brown again.

Alright, time to go do some research and write a bizarrely inaccurate alt-modern conspiracy thriller...

savvi

Agatha Cristie for my current novel project, a horror short story and a play, Stephen King for a different novel chapter, and Anne Rice for a journal-style short story. This feels about right based on genre and such, I'm satisfied.

Yuna

Anne Rice with one post, Stephen King with another. Huh. That's hilarious.
Requests (Updated 24/10/2019) | Ons & Offs | Apologies & Absences
Story status: Slowly returning.