Texas GOP in favor of anti-critical thinking, no kindergarden, more

Started by Samael, June 29, 2012, 10:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samael

QuoteEarly this month, Texas Republican delegates met in Fort Worth to approve their 2012 platform, notable parts of which take aim at the state's education system.

In the section titled "Educating Our Children," the document states that "corporal punishment is effective" and recommends teachers be given "more authority" to deal with disciplinary problems.

Additionally, the document states the party opposes mandatory pre-school and kindergarten, saying parents are "best suited to train their children in their early development."

The position causing the most controversy, however, is the statement that they oppose the teaching of "higher order thinking skills" -- a curriculum which strives to encourage critical thinking -- arguing that it might challenge "student's fixed beliefs" and undermine "parental authority."

The party also notes its encouragement of legislation that prevents "non-citizens unlawfully present in the United States" from enrolling in public schools, a stance that federal officials have previously deemed against the law.

In March, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan told Bloomberg he felt "very, very badly" for Texas students.

"Texas may have the lowest high school graduation rate in the country," Duncan said, according to Bloomberg.

The following weekend, former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs gave his own criticism of the state's education system.

"I think when it comes to someone like Rick Perry, [voters are] going to wonder why a place like Texas has one of the worst education systems," Gibbs said on "Meet the Press."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/texas-republican-party-2012-platform-education_n_1632097.html
http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012-Platform-Final.pdf

There are quite a few things in that which leave me utterly stunned, but the red, bold part especially.
The only thing I could think of, after reading that, is "Keep the masses stupid, so they go to church and work in our factories".

I apologize if that is offending to anyone, but, Jesus, how can anyone advocate keeping the next generation to lead the country as stupid and simple minded as possible?
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Shjade

Quote from: Samael on June 29, 2012, 10:59:10 PM
I apologize if that is offending to anyone, but, Jesus, how can anyone advocate keeping the next generation to lead the country as stupid and simple minded as possible?

By being extremely short-sighted.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Speaking as a person who skipped kindergarten - these guys are nucking FUTZ!  Even skipping over the higher-order-thinking-skills, you learn a boatload of interpersonal skills in kindergarten, that are not so easy to pick up when you're dealing with the more rigorous structure of the numbered grades.  Also, that bit about 'undermining parental authority'?  When done right, the parents and the teachers should provide supportive authority, in order to mold the little demons (I say that in all fondness - remember that my daughter is 'little Oni') into productive members of society.

And by productive, I mean that they aren't out knocking over gas stations and shooting each other up for wearing the wrong color hat.

What kind of parental authority are the lawmakers concerned that the teachers will undermine?  Really?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Isn't it obvious?

If children can think critically, they might ask their parents why they hate that nice gay* couple across the street, when they should just accept the family position without question!

*replace with whatever race/gender/sexual preference/other discriminating characteristic you feel applies
◕/◕'s

Sel Nar

I'd like to post a few other choice quotations from the texas GOP's 2012 Platform. As disgustingly short-sighted, asinine and antiintellectual as their stance on education is, that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Quoting Directly from their Platform PDF, from this link; http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012-Platform-Final.pdf ; Snarky comments will be in parentheses.

"The sanctity of human life, created in the image of God, which should be protected from fertilization to natural death." (There goes the death penalty, but also abortion for any reason. You know, like being a rape survivor. Or ectopic pregnancies. Idiots.)

"Voter Rights Act – We urge that the Voter Rights Act of 1965 codified and updated in 1973 be repealed and not reauthorized." (If I did my research, this is the act that allows any citizen over the age of 18, regardless of gender, race, religious or sexual affiliation to vote. These nutfucks want to repeal that.)

"Limited Federal Powers –We strongly support state sovereignty reserved under the Tenth Amendment and oppose mandates beyond the scope of federal authority, as defined in the U.S. Constitution. We further support abolition of federal agencies involved in activities not originally delegated to the federal government under a strict interpretation of the U.S. Constitution." (You know, agencies like OSHA, or programs like medicaid. Idiots Fucking Imbeciles.)

"Protection from Extreme Environmentalists – We strongly oppose all efforts of the extreme environmental groups that stymie legitimate business interests. We strongly oppose those efforts that attempt to use the environmental causes to purposefully disrupt and stop those interests within the oil and gas industry. We strongly support the immediate repeal of the Endangered Species Act. We strongly oppose the listing of the dune sage brush lizard either as a threatened or an endangered species. We believe the Environmental Protection Agency should be abolished." (By 'extreme' they mean 'anyone that likes their grass green instead of smog-brown or soot-blackened'. Also, abolishing the EPA? great idea. It'll turn Texas into the China of North America in regards to manufactured goods safety, and, depending on runoff, kill either 90% of the USA's farmland, or kill everything in the Gulf of Mexico.)

"Free Speech for the Clergy - We urge amendment of the Internal Revenue Code to allow a religious organization to address issues without fear of losing its tax-exempt status. We call for repeal of requirements that religious organizations send the government any personal information about their contributors." ('We want the church to be openly critical of any political stance we don't like without running the risk of the IRS revoking their tax-free status for being openly partisan' If the Church wants to stay Tax-Free, have the church stay out of politics.)

"Homosexuality ― We affirm that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society and contributes to the breakdown of the family unit. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle, in public policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin.

Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction or belief in traditional values."
(It's the 1940's again. Homos are as bad as commies and we want to make it legal to kill them as long as you say it's because your religion says its okay')

Frankly, I'm sickened and disappointed that such blatant FILTH can be pandered about as a 'legitimate' political platform and have even the slightest hint of approval.

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on June 30, 2012, 12:39:49 AM
What kind of parental authority are the lawmakers concerned that the teachers will undermine?  Really?

Screw parental authority - it's all about the women belonging at home with the children. No one will give mama a job after she's been out of the loop for at least five years. She will be too loopy from dealing with the young 'uns unsupported.

The UK government is such a bunch of godless free-thinkers for offering 15 hours of free childcare a week to every child between 3-5, regardless of family background.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

vtboy

The Republican party has degenerated into two groups: the mass of the great unwashed, who revel in their ignorance and their hatred of anyone who, by speech or by example, departs from the orthodoxy of revealed religious and politcal truth; and a small, shrewd, economically advantaged vanguard that perceives profit in perpetuating and exploiting these traits.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: vtboy on June 30, 2012, 05:53:25 AM
The Republican party has degenerated into two groups: the mass of the great unwashed, who revel in their ignorance and their hatred of anyone who, by speech or by example, departs from the orthodoxy of revealed religious and politcal truth; and a small, shrewd, economically advantaged vanguard that perceives profit in perpetuating and exploiting these traits.

Not two groups.. there is a group of what are called 'Double High Authoritarians' who are using the 'unwashed' as you call them (actually they are an authoritarian personality too (the ones who follow authority with relatively little dissent and questioning. They are typically (but not always) not as well educated and lacking in training in critical thinking)

What you're seeing here is the double highs 'electioneering' and building the next generation of followers. If you cut out critical thinking in the schools you have a higher chance of getting the type of 'sheep-ple' you want backing you and your successors. Not to mention since YOUR kids are going to private schools you don't have to worry about the system you're building.

Caela

Quote from: Shjade on June 29, 2012, 11:51:07 PM
By being extremely short-sighted.

Actually it's not that short-sighted. You keep the masses uneducated, simple, and ignorant and they will be far easier to lead around by the nose. You then educate the "Right" people's children to be the next leaders and ensure that the values you want are the ones that continue on. People that believe everything the idiot box tells them are far easier to dupe than people that actually think for themselves.

MasterMischief

Compassionate Conservatism

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on June 30, 2012, 10:31:33 PM
Compassionate Conservatism

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

I had one of the party leaders where my brother ran for office explain to me how I wasn't conservative since I didn't believe in totally downsizing the government. He told me that 'right sizing' meant nothing and that I was mistaken about the usefulness of things like the Departments of Labor, Energy, Education, Trade; OSHA and the EPA/FDA.

I responded with a few points about how folks like Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan both increased some of the agencies I pointed out and that the BIGGEST agency growth in the last 20 years was the creation of the Department of Homeland security. I also pointed out that Reagan INCREASED taxes and capital gains. I think I said something like the fact i considered myself a Goldwater conservative and he told me that Barry Goldwater (and I) weren't conservative at all. (Then he walked over.. I think he made the sign of the cross to ward off my evil hippy cooties too.

Ironwolf85

wow... that was just... well... 8 shades of stupid. it starts coming across as...

"vote for me, I shall keep your children uneducated, unquestioning, easily pliable, and without a future! No Government! No Taxes! No Roads! No Food! Freedom to live like our forefathers! Why live in uncertany of a potentally better future when you can do what we say and Know you are right! Vote Dumbass for State Government."
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on July 01, 2012, 01:12:25 AM
wow... that was just... well... 8 shades of stupid. it starts coming across as...

"vote for me, I shall keep your children uneducated, unquestioning, easily pliable, and without a future! No Government! No Taxes! No Roads! No Food! Freedom to live like our forefathers! Why live in uncertany of a potentally better future when you can do what we say and Know you are right! Vote Dumbass for State Government."

What is fun is watching these guys dance when things like Katrina or major earthquakes are brought up when they talk about NO excess to any budget.. ie.. no give for disasters.

Ironwolf85

Don't you know Callie?
"disasters are god's way of weeding out the weak, it's just darwinisim and natural selection, of course you are NOT allowed to learn who or what that is... this is Texas afterall."

sorry for the cynisim, but I'm just sick of crap like this on both sides.

Republican platform: Love Religion & Ignore Values, Corporate Funding, No Taxes for ANYTHING!
Democratic platform: Political Correctness, Large Buracratic Mess, High Taxes on EVERYTHING!

I just get sick of the partisanship and "follow the party line or DIE" mentality
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Shjade

Quote from: Caela on June 30, 2012, 01:50:06 PM
Actually it's not that short-sighted. You keep the masses uneducated, simple, and ignorant and they will be far easier to lead around by the nose. You then educate the "Right" people's children to be the next leaders and ensure that the values you want are the ones that continue on. People that believe everything the idiot box tells them are far easier to dupe than people that actually think for themselves.

Actually, that's exactly what I meant, in that it's extremely short-sighted to think that that form of leadership will lead to anything positive, even for the people in charge.
◕/◕'s

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 01, 2012, 01:16:18 AM
What is fun is watching these guys dance when things like Katrina or major earthquakes are brought up when they talk about NO excess to any budget.. ie.. no give for disasters.

'Let our creed
Be never to exceed
Regulation speed
No matter what the need...'
- Cool, Cool Considerate Men, 1776.

(I seriously want to hook up speakers to the DVD player and treat the neighborhood to the entire movie in about three days.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Samael on June 29, 2012, 10:59:10 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/texas-republican-party-2012-platform-education_n_1632097.html
http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012-Platform-Final.pdf

There are quite a few things in that which leave me utterly stunned, but the red, bold part especially.
The only thing I could think of, after reading that, is "Keep the masses stupid, so they go to church and work in our factories".

How does it benefit the Forbes 400 (who are the actual rulers of America, regardless of what stooges and frontmen we pull the levers for each November) to have an educated population?

The Forbes 400 want us all just smart enough to know which buttons to push to run the machines.  That's all.

kylie

It's also scary in the sense that Texas has ended up with disproportionate influence over what the rest of the country gets in school.

Quote from: Gail CollinsThe Texas State Board of Education, which approves textbooks, curriculum standards, and supplemental materials for the public schools, has fifteen members from fifteen districts whose boundaries don’t conform to congressional districts, or really anything whatsoever. They run in staggered elections that are frequently held in off years, when always-low Texas turnout is particularly abysmal. The advantage tends to go to candidates with passionate, if narrow, bands of supporters, particularly if those bands have rich backers. All of which—plus a natural supply of political eccentrics—helps explain how Texas once had a board member who believed that public schools are the tool of the devil.

Texas originally acquired its power over the nation’s textbook supply because it paid 100 percent of the cost of all public school textbooks, as long as the books in question came from a very short list of board-approved options. The selection process “was grueling and tension-filled,” said Julie McGee, who worked at high levels in several publishing houses before her retirement. “If you didn’t get listed by the state, you got nothing.” On the other side of the coin, David Anderson, who once sold textbooks in the state, said that if a book made the list, even a fairly mediocre salesperson could count on doing pretty well. The books on the Texas list were likely to be mass-produced by the publisher in anticipation of those sales, so other states liked to buy them and take advantage of the economies of scale.
As much as I feel they're acting dangerously (and okay, honestly kinda ridiculous), the hyperbole here is getting a little thick.  Just for the example that nags me at the moment...  I don't mean to drag this into subjects covered other places.  It's more to illustrate that there's a lot of fuming and not so much context at times.

Quote from: IronwolfRepublican platform: Love Religion & Ignore Values, Corporate Funding, No Taxes for ANYTHING!
I don't agree with their choices either --- but the disagreement doesn't mean they have no values.  Just not stuff I would value.  Even if they believed in immediate mass extinction, I couldn't logically say they didn't value it. 

Also, I don't think the Republicans would generally say "corporate funding" even if their perk packages amount to subsidies.  I do think they would say something more like "no new taxes" but once you say "for anything," point of view is just lost for me.  All that defense spending and pipeline building doesn't happen for free...  No taxes, anywhere?  Tax breaks for the wealthy, perhaps -- but little relief or effective rises in costs for the middle, is more what I imagine.  Whether it's called a tax in their platform or not.

QuoteDemocratic platform: Political Correctness, Large Buracratic Mess, High Taxes on EVERYTHING!
Now this is just shotgun stuff...  "Political correctness" is extremely vague, and I'm not sure what you're actually concerned with there.  I might agree it plays in some areas I could do without it, but then I've also seen this used as a hammer by the right where I don't think it should be.  No idea exactly where you want to go with it.  On bureaucracy, Callie has already mentioned some agencies expanded by Republican administrations as well.  High taxes on everything?  Compared to what?  What counts or doesn't count as a tax for you?  Everything??  Really? 

QuoteI just get sick of the partisanship and "follow the party line or DIE" mentality
That's more understandable; I just can't follow the rest so well.  Even if I might agree with the general feel of it, it's not hitting the facts very precisely.

Oniya

To be fair, both sides are benefiting from 'corporate sponsorships', especially now that the Supreme Court has decided that Citizens United is going to stand.

vtboy

Quote from: kylie on July 01, 2012, 12:52:58 PM
       As much as I feel they're acting dangerously (and okay, honestly kinda ridiculous), the hyperbole here is getting a little thick. 

Not really.

If you haven't already, you might want to take a wander through the platform. Here is a link:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf

I can't recall when I've seen as nativistic, theocratic and exclusionary a political document, or one less compatible with a secular, pluralistic democracy. This is really horrifying stuff. It makes me wonder why we didn't just let them secede when we had the chance. 

Oniya

There's still a group that wants to, so it might still be on the table - but I'm wondering how we're going to get the sane ones out (don't laugh, even if only 1% are outraged by this, that's still over 250 thousand, according to the 2010 census.)

Callie Del Noire

WOW..This is one hard document to read.. whoever typed this up didn't understand how to use fonts. I can tell you EVERY one of the things they oppose (since President Obama uses them) is something their boy dubya used. Czars, executive orders, Patriot act..

Ironwolf85

sorry for that kylie, I was just pissed off and tired. more ranty than looking at the facts.

When I meant by the comments was
that every time I see a democratic "values" bill it's along the lines of "ban anything that might possablly be offensive, everything must be pleasent."
and every time I see a republican "values" bill it's along the lines of "Faith, Purity, Patrotisim, Change is to be feared."

I hate "Values" bills...

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on July 01, 2012, 05:23:54 PM
I hate "Values" bills...

Agreed.  I think the government needs to mind its own fucking business.

Let the politicians balance their budgets, restore economic growth, take care of the nation's business, and sort out their own indiscretions, sexual escapades and corruption--and then perhaps, maybe, I'll listen to what they have to say about values and morals.  Indeed, if I could say one sentence to most members of Congress, it would be, "get your nose out of my personal life, shut up already, and do your job."

MasterMischief

Quote from: Oniya on July 01, 2012, 03:43:34 PM
There's still a group that wants to, so it might still be on the table - but I'm wondering how we're going to get the sane ones out (don't laugh, even if only 1% are outraged by this, that's still over 250 thousand, according to the 2010 census.)

I will not claim I am sane, but I am in Texas.  I strongly disagree with the current Republican leadership.