Deception: Murder in Hong Kong/CS Files (Rules and OOC)

Started by Galactic Druid, December 17, 2015, 02:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

Welcome to Hong Kong!

Confirmed Players
looking for 5-10

1. Yugi006
2. Strangefate
3. Remiel
4. Assassini
5. Blythe
6. Madame P
7. BAMF
8. Verasaille
9. James Moriarty
10. persephone325
11. Der
12. Red Pheonix
With apologies, we are at max player count.

In deception, players take on the role of a team of investigators, trying to figure out who among them committed a murder by interpreting clues given to them by a forensic scientist as a team. Figuring out the culprit isn't enough on it's own, as the detectives also have to decipher how the murder was committed, and what key piece of evidence was left at the scene that ultimate got them caught.

At the beginning of the game, each player will receive a role, sent out randomly by the GM. The forensic scientist will be publicly revealed to the entire group, as their role is different than the other players. All other roles are kept hidden during the game. For the rest of the round, the only posts the forensic scientist can make is to reveal clue cards used, detailed below.

The remaining players will each receive 4 potential murder weapons (The 'means' cards, which was changed in murder weapon in the final translastion), as well as 4 pieces of 'key evidence' that potentially solved the case (originally just called clue cards, changed as well.). These cards as a whole represent the potential weapons and clues that could have been left behind, but only one of each is the actual evidence. Once this setup is complete, the game is ready to begin.

Step one; revealing the murder.
The GM will send out a group PM to the forensic scientist and murderer, asking the murder to select one of their weapons and one piece of key evidence from their own cards. The forensic scientist will learn this information, as well as the GM, as well as who the murderer is. This information is to be kept secret between them during the duration of the game.

Step two; Giving clues

The forensic scientist cannot openly communicate with the players. Instead, they have a series of clues they are able to give. They have one board (the pink one in the picture above) that shows how the victim died (Such as blood loss, severe injury, illness or poisoning, an accident. Many of these are vague by design.). The scientist picks one of those possibilities and declares that to be the clue they are giving. They also have 4 boards that show potential locations the crime took place. The scientist will pick one of those boards, and then announce one possibility from that board as their location clue. Once the first clue has been given, other players may begin to post and discuss their suspicions as well.

Example of play.

Scientist: The cause of death options are Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, and Accident. The victim died of Blood Loss.

Alice: Well, that rules out Mary's drowning card, but not much else.

Sam: It's too early to know much...

Scientist: The location board I'm putting into play has the Vacation House, Park, Supermarket, School, Woods, and Bank. This crime took place at the school.

Sam: Looks like I'm off the hook. I have a chainsaw, acid, axe, and blades. None of that fits in a school!

Alice: Nice try, Sam! Sulfuric Acid is super common in school labs.

Sam: But the victim died of Blood Loss! If it were acid, wouldn't Madame Professor told it was a severe injury, or maybe poisoning?

Alice: That's a good point... none of us has a weapon that would cause blood loss and fits in a school though....

Mary: Well, maybe the school is pointing to the key evidence rather than the weapon, like Sam's notebook....

Players are free to make as many posts as the like to discuss the game or their thoughts, though each player only gets one guess to solve the crime (explained later).

After the cause of death and location boards are player, the Forensic scientist is given 4 additional clue boards. Each board will contain a description of the type of clue, and 6 options to give players. Like ever other board, only one option may be picked. The scientist can play the 4 boards, one at a time, in any other they choose, allowing as much discussion as they like between each placed board.

Example:
Scientist: Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolonged Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing; The bystander noticed Nothing.

Alice: Well, that doesn't help us any.

Sam: Yeah...

Mary: Actually... what if there's a reason he noticed nothing. We're at the school, and the bystander didn't see anything, what if that's because they were wearing that drama mask card that Alice has? That certainly fits in a school...

In the interest of keeping the game moving, I will likely ask the scientist to play a new board every 48 to 72 hours, if necessary. This rule may change, I won't know the sweet spot for timing this game until we try it.

Making Guesses
At any time after the first clue is given, players can make a guess as to who they feel the criminal was, and how the crime was committed. If they are correct, the investigators win the game! If they are incorrect, game play continues. Each player gets only one guess. Once you have incorrectly guessed, you can not try to solve the murder again. This does not mean you are eliminated. Deception has no player elimination. Players who guessed incorrectly are still able to discuss and play through the round, they just cannot guess again. They can, however, try to convince another player to use their guess on another hunch. A player will only ever learn if they are correct or incorrect. They might have the right person, they might have the right weapon, but if they don't have all three, the only response they will get is incorrect. They will not know if they are partially correct. If at any time the players run out of guesses between them and the murderer is not found, the murderer wins.

Sam: Alright, I think we've got this figured out. It was Alice, who did it with the Razor Wire, and the key evidence is the drama mask.

GM: That is incorrect.

Sam: Dangit, I was so sure! Her only other possibility is the box cuter and mask, Mary, you wanna try that for me?

Mary: I dunno Sam, how do I know you're not just trying to waste everyone's guesses so you can win?

Redacting Information
After the first 4 clue boards are placed, the Forensic scientist will be given two more. They can use these clues to cover up one of the clue boards that was already put into play. It's a good idea to use this to 'cancel' information that has been sending the players down the wrong path.

Sam: The trace left at the scene was a fingerprint! Doesn't it make more sense that Mark's broken bottle was used? That carries a way cleaner print than an axe.

Scientist: I am covering up the 'Trace at the scene' board with "Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated". The Evidence left behind was written.

Alice: Well, that kills your argument, Sam. And about that notebook...

The final word!
If the crime is not solved and players still have guesses after all 8 clue boards have been placed (the original 6, followed by the replacement 2), then the final round begins. Each player will get to make one post making their case. At any time, players can make their guesses. After the last guess is spent, or after 72 hours from the declaration of the final word, if the murderer has still not been found, they automatically win!

Mary: I've already used my guess, but I really feel like it has to be Sam at this point. His blades are the only thing that fits since I already guessed the axe, and I'm really sure about that notebook, especially after the written clue we got last.

Alice: You know what? I agree, I'm going to use my guess that Sam did it with the Blade, and left the notebook behind.

GM: Correct! The investigators win!

A note on Private Messaging

First and foremost, the ability to receive PMs is required to play. Apologies to unapproved members, but you'll need approval before you can join. When it comes to PMs, especially in social gaming, I don't like to restrict players from chatting with one another, but I do ask that you keep anything that has to do with the current investigation public.

Social PMs are always okay!

"Hey, it's great to be playing a game together again! Are you having fun?"

"I've enjoyed getting to meet you in deception. Man, guy is such an awesome GM. Anyway, you seem really cool, do you have any time for an RP?"

"Jeez, this round is getting crazy. If you end up being the murderer, I'm never trusting you again!"

Please don't do this!

"I didn't wanna say this to the whole group and make Sam suspicious of me, but I think that last clue MP gave was about his notebook. What do you think. Should we guess him?"

"Hey, do you think acid would be more likely to be shown as poisoning or severe injury?"

"Pssst, hey Forensic Scientist. Can you give me a hint? At least which player to look at?" This is straight up cheating. Please don't get caught doing this.

tl;dr

The game is played by guessing who committed a crime by guessing which cards were used in a crime. Everybody gets one guess to solve the murder.

The murderer wins if everyone uses their guesses incorrectly.

The investigators win if, at any time, they correctly guess the cards used in the crime.

Original Post
So this is something I played recently at a gaming convention and absolutely fell in love with. Those of you that live in the eastern continents may have already played it as "CS Files", but I've got a reprint named Deception coming in on the 20th that I'm interested in running here on E.

Until I get my copy and make sure I have everything correct, I'm not going to post any rules, but the basics of the game go something like this; I believe it runs anywhere from 4-10 players. 1 player is always going to play as the forensic investigator, who knows everything that happened, but is unable to communicate other than giving specific clues by placing markers on a series of boards that are played. Some of the board's may suggest the nature of the death (if it looked like an accident, or if it was clearly an attack, where it took place, etc.). Every other player is going to have a set of four cards in front of them; 4 potential weapons, and 4 potential items that were found at the crime scene (whether as a calling card, accidentally dropped, part of the scene, etc.) one of these players is the murderer; he'll reveal to the forensic scientist which of their cards they used as the weapon, and what was found. The scientist then uses the clues he can give to help the players figure out who among them holds the true murder weapon and evidence.

I'll need to go over the rules when I get it and figure out a fair way to run/time the game on a forum, but if we've managed it with One Night and Resistance, I'm sure we can for Deception as well.

Anyway, I'd like to get a general interest lost for when I run the game. I'm looking for anywhere between 5 and 10 players.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Kythia

In theory interested, but it would kinda depend on the specifics.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

yugi006

Blythe

Quote from: Kythia on December 17, 2015, 02:48:56 PM
In theory interested, but it would kinda depend on the specifics.

^ This. I'm sorta kinda maybe interested, but need a bit more about the game before I can 100% say for sure.

Galactic Druid

Got my copy in today, so after going over the rules and figuring out the best way to translate them to a forum setting, I'll be putting up a more detailed version for your guys!

Madame Professor

Oh man.

Yes.

Just.... Yes.

This game is so amazing.

Would you be including the Witness and the Accomplice, or keep it simple for the first go?
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Galactic Druid

For the first round, I want to keep it basic. I'll be adding in more after that, but it's nice to get the basics before introducing alternate win conditions.

Galactic Druid

Well, it's finally up! Took me a bit with the holiday rush and RL and whatnot, but I've got a good feeling about running this! Please let me know if you want to be added to the player list.

yugi006

Strangefate

*waves*

Hi everyone!  It looks fun, I'll definitely give it a try!  :-)
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Assassini

Blythe

Yeah, this looks good now that I've gotten a read-through of how it works. Count me in!  ;D

Madame Professor

Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Galactic Druid

Sweet, that's 6 right there, more than enough to give this a run!

Also, I just realized that there's really no conflicting information sharing that would stop the GM from being the forensic scientist, so if nobody minds, and since it's the only role I could fairly play, I might just go ahead and play the forensic the first round to ensure everything plays smoothly in an online setting. Yes, that's the excuse I'm going to use.  :P

Seriously though, anyone mind if I play the forensic this first round?

Galactic Druid

Since we have enough, and I want to keep the momentum going, I'll go ahead and start the game in a little less than 48 hours. The first round will begin Wednesday afternoon, January 6.

BAMF

HM. Even though I'm still fairly confused, I'm pretty sure I wanna play. So count me the hell in.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Galactic Druid

I promise, one round and it will all make perfect sense. That's how I felt going through the original rulebook too.

persephone325

I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

James Moriarty

Galactic Druid

Well, shoot, that's 10 if you count me. I guess we'll go ahead and start tomorrow once I get off work. Before I begin, does anyone have an objection to me being the first forensic scientist?

Strangefate

I have no objection to you running the game however you like personally.  The forensic scientist seems fairly important to keeping the game running smoothly from what I understand, so probably best that it's someone a little familiar with the game IMO and not apt to accidentally spill the beans.   :-)
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

BAMF

Yeah, also have no problem with this. Smoother it can run, the better, imo.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Galactic Druid

My thoughts exactly. I mean, running ikt smoothly is a convenient reason that I get to play with you guys, sure, but it'll also give me a chance to show you guys one of the more key roles in action before turning it loose. That way, this round you guys can focus on accusing one another *snickers*.

persephone325

....Uh, what are we talking about?

I was distracted by BAMF's avatar. >.>

Oh! Right! No objections from me.
I don't know.

Verasaille

I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Galactic Druid

I am going to make room for one more for perse, so I'll add an additional role to help keep things balanced;

Player roles

The game will have 8 Investigators. You roles is to use the clues to discover the murderer.

The game will have one Murderer. You committed the crime, and will reveal your weapon and evidence to the forensic scientist, who has to try and get the other players to figure you out through clues.

The game will have one Accomplice. You will know who the murderer is, and win if they do. You goal is to spread confusion at the table.

BAMF

Quote from: persephone325 on January 04, 2016, 11:17:52 PM
....Uh, what are we talking about?

I was distracted by BAMF's avatar. >.>

Oh! Right! No objections from me.

;)  ;D ;D ;)
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

persephone325

Quote from: BAMF on January 04, 2016, 11:52:59 PM
;)  ;D ;D ;)

lol I'm not a fan of...what the hell was the show? Doctor Who, I think? See. I don't know. Haha.

But I did watch the Fright Night remake because Colin Farrell is a fucking gorgeous Irishman. <3 And David Tennant was just an added bonus in that getup. ^^
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

Alright, so everyone's cards are posted. You guys are free to look them over. It's not a bad idea to give them a look over and think about which ones you'd want to use if you turn out to be the murderer. Which one would be hard to identify? Generally speaking, cards that are similar to other players give you a lot of cover to hide behind as people try to narrow it down, while cards that are more unique (like being worked to death) tend to be harder for the forensic scientist to identify as they give clues.

Another thing to mention is that the evidence cards are very open to your interpretation. The toy card for example, is purposely vague, and could be any toy. Similarly, any means of murder card that references drugs may not necessarily mean an overdose, but a tainted drug that was poisoned or something, so poisoning or illness/disease might apply to those, depending on the scientist's interpretation. Similarly, Machinery could refer to a variety of devices.

The key thing to remember here is that one of you is the murderer, and to win, you need to not only figure out who it was, but also what combination of weapon card they used, and key evidence card they left behind. The murderer is only about to pick one each of their own two sets of four cards.

Verasaille

Am I missing something? Where are the cards posted? We don't get them PM'ed to us?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

yugi006

Verasaille

Blythe

Hate to do this so suddenly, all, but I gotta withdraw. Wishing you folks the best, and I hope y'all enjoy the game! :)

Kythia

BAMF

Yes! Give Kythia Sherlock's spot! Doooo eeet!

*totally wants to sass at Kythia*
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Remiel

*squints at BAMF's avatar* is that...David Tennant?  Why does he look like Criss Angel?

BAMF

Quote from: Remiel on January 05, 2016, 02:32:07 AM
*squints at BAMF's avatar* is that...David Tennant?  Why does he look like Criss Angel?
According to Persephone,
Quote from: persephone325 on January 05, 2016, 12:06:07 AM
But I did watch the Fright Night remake because Colin Farrell is a fucking gorgeous Irishman. <3 And David Tennant was just an added bonus in that getup. ^^
it's from the remake of Fright Night, which a quick Google search tells me, came out in 2011.

I've not seen it personally. A gifset came across my dashboard on Tumblr & I had to have it. >.>
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

persephone325

Quote from: BAMF on January 05, 2016, 02:38:52 AM
According to Persephone,
it's from the remake of Fright Night, which a quick Google search tells me, came out in 2011.

I've not seen it personally. A gifset came across my dashboard on Tumblr & I had to have it. >.>

A lot of people don't like it, though.

I'm one of the weird ones. Like you guys didn't already know that. lol

Colin Farrell and vampires? I couldn't pass that up. He can be MY neighbor... Unf.
I don't know.

Verasaille

Is there an order to the play at all? I mean who goes first, etc.

Assassini

Quote from: Verasaille on January 05, 2016, 03:34:31 AM
Is there an order to the play at all? I mean who goes first, etc.

Never played the game at all, but as I understand: no, there is no order of play. We can all immediately get to chatting.

However, it is currently a pointless exercise as we need the Forensic Investigator (TRPG, yes?) to post the first details about the murder.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but TRPG will post some clues via a board and we then have to discuss what the clues mean. Admittedly, I didn't fully understand the board system from the description given, but I'm sure that'll clear up as we play.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Kythia on January 05, 2016, 01:47:27 AM
Can I take sherlock's seat? Didn't get in in time.

Yes, absolutely! I'll PM you their role!

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Assassini on January 05, 2016, 04:38:32 AM
Never played the game at all, but as I understand: no, there is no order of play. We can all immediately get to chatting.

However, it is currently a pointless exercise as we need the Forensic Investigator (TRPG, yes?) to post the first details about the murder.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but TRPG will post some clues via a board and we then have to discuss what the clues mean. Admittedly, I didn't fully understand the board system from the description given, but I'm sure that'll clear up as we play.

I promise, it's pretty simple in practice. In short, I'll be giving you guys 6 clues selected from possible sets. The clues are set into small boards so that they can be shuffled and drawn randomly, that was the forensic scientist isn't always giving the same type of clue each game.

Once I drop the first clue, discussion can begin. The first 2 clues will always be cause of death and location, but the FS chooses which they give first.

Galactic Druid

Remiel

Wait, I have a question, RPGuy.  Could your clues (Location of Crime, Cause of Death, State of the Scene) refer to any of the Evidence cards as well as the Means of Murder cards?  Because, if so, I've been going about this all wrong.

Galactic Druid

Needless to say, I can't tell you exactly what I'm trying to imply, but ideally, the clues the forensic scientist gives should help the players find both the key evidence as well as the murder means.

Sometimes it all falls into place nicely; say the murderer used a knife and had food ingredients as their key evidence. Playing the kitchen as a location is a great way to indicate both. Other times, the two will be much harder to indicate in a single clue, and the scientist will need to divide their attention. Let's say the cards picked were a pistol and teddy bear as key evidence. The forensic scientist plays a card indicating the victim was young. That tells you very little about the means used (they may use other cards for that, such as an indication the death was sudden), but it does give a decent hint for the evidence card.

One game I was in the murderer thought they had it dead to rights; there were so many blunt instruments around the table. He had a table leg and wrench, other players had candlesticks, hammers, steel pipes, police batons, a baseball bat etc. however, the key evidence they used was "grass". The forensic gave the location as the park. At that point, most of the table was so focused on him for having one of the few pieces of evidence that could fit, that they got him by process of elimination. That was a little lucky though, as the players could have just as easily seen park and focused on the baseball bat. It's really up to the players to keep an open mind about how the evidence could be interpreted.

Assassini

Hey folks. Sorry I've been so inactive in the game over the past couple of days. I started back at work around the same time and so I've been pretty knackered the last few days as I try get back into a normal sleeping pattern. Add the that to the surprisingly rapid pace of the game and I haven't engaged the way I'd normally like to. Hopefully will properly dive in over the next few days.

Verasaille

I have a question regarding the accomplice. Would it make sense to look at the evidence and murder weapon, etc, of two people?

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Verasaille on January 08, 2016, 05:43:39 PM
I have a question regarding the accomplice. Would it make sense to look at the evidence and murder weapon, etc, of two people?

Not really. The investigators, and FS win if the investigators correctly guess the means and evidence cards used in the crime, which will always be the murderer's. The accomplice is there to try and confuse the investigators, and is usually only used in larger games, since more players means more guesses.

Verasaille

Kythia

How much interaction are we allowed with you guy? Are we allowed to say eg "if the murderer is Kythia then cover up blood loss" ?

Galactic Druid

There's nothing about it in the official rules, but that seems like poor sportmanship, so I think I'd house rule against that.

Unrelated; would anyone like to volunteer to be next round's FS?

The down side is of course, your ability to chat is imited, but it's a fun fun role.

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 10, 2016, 05:38:59 PM
There's nothing about it in the official rules, but that seems like poor sportmanship, so I think I'd house rule against that.

The down side is of course, your ability to chat is imited, but it's a fun fun role.

I'm actually really quite keen to be the FS. I mean, in my experience I'm terrible at this sort of thing (from several games of Mysterium) however I still enjoy it! If anyone else is keen though should we have a vote or something?

Remiel

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 10, 2016, 05:38:59 PM

Perhaps whoever is the first to guess the correct solution?  Or the murderer if no one does?  That'd be the most fair, I think.  ;D

Assassini

Quote from: Remiel on January 10, 2016, 06:38:58 PM
Perhaps whoever is the first to guess the correct solution?  Or the murderer if no one does?  That'd be the most fair, I think.  ;D

Inb4 Remiel is the murderer.

Galactic Druid

That's not a bad idea, Remi. I was thinking of just doing a dice between the interested volunteers instead of the full group, then a role for the other roles with the remaining. Sadly, as GM, I can only play roles that know everything, so my options are either forensics or nothing. =(

But that's okay, I got to play a round with you guys, that's more than many GMs can do for games they run here or on CHWB.

Remiel

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 10, 2016, 07:48:48 PM
That's not a bad idea, Remi. I was thinking of just doing a dice between the interested volunteers instead of the full group, then a role for the other roles with the remaining. Sadly, as GM, I can only play roles that know everything, so my options are either forensics or nothing. =(

But that's okay, I got to play a round with you guys, that's more than many GMs can do for games they run here or on CHWB.

Not necessarily.  The Forensic Scientist can randomly pick the murderer and accomplice, and then the murderer can tell the FS what method / evidence he or she is choosing.

And then you can tell the FS what clues he has to choose from, although in the interest of fairness you should probably make this information public.

Galactic Druid

It's supposed to be unseen until the card is played, so I have a feeling I'd have a hard time being impartial.

MP owns the game too, I may ask her to run after a few rounds.

Blythe

After PMing Guy to make sure it was okay, I know for sure I can commit to the game whenever y'all have the next round and would totes love to play now that I've got RL and E more together.

Verasaille

persephone325

With a name like "Sherlock", it's MANDATORY for him to join. lol
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

Congrats to Remi and the investigators!

Everyone in for another round? Unless anyone tells me otherwise, I'll start a new game with the same group (aside from Sherlock taking my seat) next round.

Blythe

Galactic Druid

Unless an u one else volunteers as tribute, I'll roll between Assassini (your name is impossible to shorthand politely...) and Remi for the FS.

persephone325

I don't know.

yugi006

Madame Professor

And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids! :P

I am most definitely up for another round.

And I am also totally up for GMing (and/or FS) when you want to just play, Guy. :-)

Galactic Druid

I'll GM a few more so you can play first. I think I've had more chances to play IRL than you have, plus it's fun and I'm still working on a database of cards.

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 11, 2016, 02:42:15 PM
Unless an u one else volunteers as tribute, I'll roll between Assassini (your name is impossible to shorthand politely...) and Remi for the FS.

*laughs hysterically* Cry me a river. Everyone says the same thing.

But yes, very keen for Round 2. Obviously.

I have to say though, the Accomplice seems like such a weak addition. Frankly people are too bright to really get confused by any less than obvious ploys to divert attention, so in reality all the card does is take one vote away from the Good Guys...

And we still had FOUR left!

Madame Professor

Eh, not really. I mean, the wrong focus and people can get waaaaay off point. As I have discovered playing in person. Plus, the accomplice reduces the good guys number of available guesses.

With this size of a group though, it might not be a bad idea to have 5 Means and 5 evidence cards.

Kythia

Well played everyone. I'm out for the next game, but enjoyed this one. Thanks for running it guy.

Galactic Druid

Thanks for playing, Kythia! You're always welcome back in!

Strangefate

I'll continue for another round.

Oh, and thanks to ThatRPGuy for running it too!
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

Verasaille

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

James Moriarty

Galactic Druid

So, the die has been cast, and Remiel is our new forensics expert!

Galactic Druid

Sorry about this, I've I've played and shuffled this game's cards since the last round I set up here, so there's a few repeats. Thankfully, it's not the kind of thing that ruins the game.

Galactic Druid

Alrighty, everything is in place, we're ready to roll!

Quote from: Remiel on January 12, 2016, 01:32:39 PM
Does BAMF's card really say "Incest"?

:o  :o  :o

Ummmm... oops, that's supposed to be insect. Let's not read into that, shall we?

BAMF

Wait what holy shit
no
leave it.

Okay fine we can have bugs
but this is E.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Galactic Druid

But we're in the NA section! You can have all the incest you want over in the RP threads.

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

persephone325

I don't know.

Assassini

Quote from: BAMF on January 12, 2016, 02:47:26 PM
They're gonna be incestuous bugs in my mind now.

If that turns out to be the murder card, all Remiel has to do is direct us to it with a card that says "Family" or something and my week will be made.

Remiel

Hey, RPG, what do you think about this: maybe the first Investigator to correctly solve the crime gets to be the next FS? Or the murderer/accomplice, if no one does?

That way, you introduce a bit of healthy competition among the Investigators.  But you also want to make sure you're correct in your guess, because you only get one shot.

Verasaille

I am not sure I want to be the FS. On the other hand I think it should be random, so everyone gets a chance. Whether we roll for it or something like a vote?

Assassini

Quote from: Remiel on January 12, 2016, 07:00:49 PM
Hey, RPG, what do you think about this: maybe the first Investigator to correctly solve the crime gets to be the next FS? Or the murderer/accomplice, if no one does?

That way, you introduce a bit of healthy competition among the Investigators.  But you also want to make sure you're correct in your guess, because you only get one shot.

The problem with this though is that people who vote later absolutely get an advantage, which could make the game drag out. Not to belittle your achievement of winning the last game for us, but me and BAMF had ruled out both of the other alternatives you had seemed to be considering :P

BAMF

Does it make me seem selfish if I +1 that, Assassini? ;D
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Assassini

Quote from: BAMF on January 12, 2016, 08:19:56 PM
Does it make me seem selfish if I +1 that, Assassini? ;D

Well seeing as I said it first... How very dare you.

Galactic Druid

On a sidenote, thanks to all of you for playing with me! It's been a while since I've been on E, it's nice to have a game again. I almost forgot how much I like it here, and how well I feel I fit in. ^^

Anyway, I'm just rambling now, the point is thanks for hanging out with me everyone!

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 13, 2016, 09:06:34 AM
On a sidenote, thanks to all of you for playing with me! It's been a while since I've been on E, it's nice to have a game again. I almost forgot how much I like it here, and how well I feel I fit in. ^^

Anyway, I'm just rambling now, the point is thanks for hanging out with me everyone!

We love you too good buddy.

Remiel

Yeah, RPG!  Good to have you back.  You always seem to pick winners, gamewise.

Galactic Druid

I'm a board game enthusiast, and see a lot between the groups I attend and run. Every once in a while, I find something like Deception that I have to share. If I can ever figure out how to code a darn table, I also want to run Codenames on CHWB. That's a big off though, BBC code eludes me.

Derwaysh

Hello folks! At the lovely Madame P's invitation, I would like to officially toss me hat into the ring for your consideration if you decide to do another round. ;D
And I, methinks, am gone astray
In trackless wastes and lone.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Finals Week: Posting delays of up to 1 week/10 days

Madame Professor

Galactic Druid

Unless I have 7 people drop after this round, I'm definately planning another. Welcome, Derwaysh!

Blythe

I know I'm not dropping--this game is too addictive and fun! ^^

Derwaysh

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 16, 2016, 04:44:15 PM
Yuuuuusssss... whispers One of us, one of us!

Gooble gabbel! Gooble gabble! ;D

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 16, 2016, 05:01:03 PM
Unless I have 7 people drop after this round, I'm definately planning another. Welcome, Derwaysh!

Thank you! Very excited to be here!

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Blythe

Am back to my old username, folks, sorry for any confusion that may result in for the game. >_>;

Verasaille

Ah, that is interesting, did not know you could do that. Whatever makes you happy, my dear!  ;D

Assassini

Quote from: Blythe on January 17, 2016, 06:50:38 PM
Am back to my old username, folks, sorry for any confusion that may result in for the game. >_>;

I've always been curious, was there a reason for the switch and switch back?

Did you get tired of people saying "No shit, Sherlock"? (I never did, but I totally should have... :P )

Galactic Druid

I'm so lost! Who is this Blythe fellow that's suddenly shown up in my game?!

persephone325

EHEY!!! Blythe is back!! ^^

We can all get "Blythed" again! Haha.
I don't know.

Assassini

Galactic Druid

Well, I know I had fun at least?

Whose up for one more? Who would like to be added to the pool of people I draw the FS from?

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 08:52:43 AM

Whose up for one more? Who would like to be added to the pool of people I draw the FS from?

I'm up for as many more as we can get enough players for! It's pretty good fun.

Galactic Druid

I figured I'd run 4-5 rounds, then take a break for a few weeks. I don't want burn everyone out with too much at once. I've noticed too much LCS rapid fire lowers overall excitement after a while. Don't want to burn out everyone on something this good, lol.

yugi006

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 10:03:48 AM
I figured I'd run 4-5 rounds, then take a break for a few weeks. I don't want burn everyone out with too much at once. I've noticed too much LCS rapid fire lowers overall excitement after a while. Don't want to burn out everyone on something this good, lol.

That's probably legit. Gives most people who wanted to be the FS a chance too.

Blythe

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 08:52:43 AM

I'm still in, and add me to the FS pool! ^^

Also, congrats, Verasaille, and good job on your guess. I was so antsy and nervous every time you, Madame, and Assassini skirted close to the right answer, and I thought I was in teh clear, but you pulled a win for Team Investigator! Well played!  ;D

Assassini

Quote from: Blythe on January 19, 2016, 12:56:29 PM
I'm still in, and add me to the FS pool! ^^

Also, congrats, Verasaille, and good job on your guess. I was so antsy and nervous every time you, Madame, and Assassini skirted close to the right answer, and I thought I was in teh clear, but you pulled a win for Team Investigator! Well played!  ;D

"Skirted close"?!??

*Has a tantrum*

Verasaille

*pats Assassini* You helped me a lot with the chart thing and your reasoning.

You all helped. I love this game! More!!

Galactic Druid

Alright, so far the pool is Assassini and Blythe for FS. Anyone else?

Assassini

Quote from: Verasaille on January 19, 2016, 01:06:08 PM
*pats Assassini* You helped me a lot with the chart thing and your reasoning.

You all helped. I love this game! More!!

*Mutters away to self in a corner*

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 01:19:03 PM
Alright, so far the pool is Assassini and Blythe for FS. Anyone else?

I'm sure there was someone else who indicated interest the last time you asked, but I can't find the post anywhere. It might be in the actual game thread.

Galactic Druid

Assassini

Remiel

I think it was Persephone325?

My vote is for Verasaille (if she wants it) since she had the first correct guess.

persephone325

It was me who voiced interest after the first round. Little ole Sephie.
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

Thanks Seph! *hugs* So it's between Assassini, Blythe, and Perse at the moment.

Galactic Druid

And I will admit, I'm pretty impressed, Vera. Remi got clue cards so bad he probably thought I was trying to prank him, but you still picked up where he was going with them. Bravo!

persephone325

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 02:28:20 PM
Thanks Seph! *hugs* So it's between Assassini, Blythe, and Perse at the moment.

No problem. *hugs*

And yeah, Vera. That made my brain explode. lmao
I don't know.

Remiel

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 02:35:21 PM
And I will admit, I'm pretty impressed, Vera. Remi got clue cards so bad he probably thought I was trying to prank him, but you still picked up where he was going with them. Bravo!

Let's not underestimate Blythe and BAMF.  I think they did an amazing job misdirecting people.

Blythe

Quote from: Remiel on January 19, 2016, 02:48:01 PM
Let's not underestimate Blythe and BAMF.  I think they did an amazing job misdirecting people.

Your first three cards were spot on and actually were pretty good cards. I was flailing and completely at a loss what to do until "Decayed" came up. I practically heard a small chorus of "hallelujahs" when that card appeared because I finally had something like a strategy at that point.

I think my biggest mistake was picking 'Electric Current' as a method of death--waaaaaay too specific. If I'm ever the murderer again, I have a much better understanding of what the game needs for the murderer to win now. ^^

Galactic Druid

No argument from me, they certainly did! Next round, we'll be adding a new role; the witness!

BAMF

Quote from: Remiel on January 19, 2016, 02:48:01 PM
Oh my god. When I wrote up that list that incriminated myself most of all and then MP ACTUALLY GUESSED ME? I was dying. That was amazing.

I also wouldn't mind being thrown in the pool for FS, but I'm definitely up for another round.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Remiel

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 19, 2016, 03:35:48 PM
I wanna play! I wanna play! :D

OHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIII

*cough* I mean welcome aboard, Red.  Glad to have you.

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Madame Professor

Quote from: Blythe on January 19, 2016, 02:53:07 PM
Your first three cards were spot on and actually were pretty good cards. I was flailing and completely at a loss what to do until "Decayed" came up. I practically heard a small chorus of "hallelujahs" when that card appeared because I finally had something like a strategy at that point.

I think my biggest mistake was picking 'Electric Current' as a method of death--waaaaaay too specific. If I'm ever the murderer again, I have a much better understanding of what the game needs for the murderer to win now. ^^

When Decayed came out, I allllllmost spent my guess on Electric Current/Oil Stain. But I thought maybe I'm stretching it and this was just a bad clue (because I am all too familiar with how that happens) so I waited. Then Summer came out and I was like, "let's reevaluate this." ><

And it's tough to decide what to do with it! Especially with a group this size.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 19, 2016, 03:35:48 PM
I wanna play! I wanna play! :D

One of us, one of us!

Remiel

MP:  between Weekday, Weekend, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, what would you have said?

Madame Professor

Quote from: Remiel on January 19, 2016, 04:09:15 PM
MP:  between Weekday, Weekend, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, what would you have said?

Honestly, I have no idea. Nothing really helps point to Oil Stain in my mind. ><

Just so you know, I was not in anyway meaning you did a bad job. I was more commenting on the fact that my brain thought I must be on the wrong track, since I was already a bit iffy about my initial thinking. Which turned out to be right. So I'm glad Vera stayed on that track. GG, girl.

Being the Forensic Scientist is hard. Especially when you get clues that you don't find will be helpful in telling the investigators what they need to know. Because you want the investigators to get it right. Sometimes, the clues don't help. I'll have to tell you about my first time as the FS... It was just terrible. I had all manner of clues that didn't help me at all. Luckily, since this is a cooperative game, I don't have to worry too much about my guess being wrong. The guesses are the investigators biggest tool in narrowing down what the FS is trying to them. Waiting for more clues isn't always a good thing... my case in point.

Galactic Druid

With Red, that makes 12, this game's max!

I'd of done weekday, like a work day. Not the best clue though...

Remiel

I think my mistake was that I was going Motor Oil for the oil stain, while all of the investigators were trying to form a coherent narrative between all the clues.  Which, if you do that, I can see how they might've been thrown off, as motor oil has no business in a bathroom.

Verasaille

BAMF

I'm still ridiculously proud of incriminating myself & then MP going, "Yep, sounds right. I think it's BAMF."
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

RedPhoenix

Quote from: BAMF on January 19, 2016, 07:41:40 PM
I'm still ridiculously proud of incriminating myself & then MP going, "Yep, sounds right. I think it's BAMF."

Oh like you're hard to incriminate.

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

RedPhoenix

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Galactic Druid

When I get home from work, I'll deal out cards, and if I have time do roles, otherwise I'll start the game tomorrow for sure.

We will be adding The Witness! The witness starts the game knowing who the Murderer is! However, in the event of a victory by the investigators, the murderer gets one chance to guess and eliminate the witness before they make it to court, flipping the victory for themselves!

Blythe

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 07:52:44 PM
When I get home from work, I'll deal out cards, and if I have time do roles, otherwise I'll start the game tomorrow for sure.

We will be adding The Witness! The witness starts the game knowing who the Murderer is! However, in the event of a victory by the investigators, the murderer gets one chance to guess and eliminate the witness before they make it to court, flipping the victory for themselves!

*flails* I am excited about this role--this should make things very interesting!

Verasaille

RedPhoenix

Strangefate

I'm still game for another.  Also welcome Red, and well done as accomplice BAMF!  I really hadn't pegged you for that.  You certainly got people off scent and on your trail.  :P   
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

Madame Professor

Yeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss.

James Moriarty

Galactic Druid

We'll get started tomorrow. I left my game in the car after game night, and it is so damn cold out that no one will ever convince me to run to my car for a game, no matter what you try. Brrrrr....

Galactic Druid

In the meantime, though, I will announce that E's dicebot has picked Persephone to enjoy a free 6 month supply of pomegranates. to be the next Forensic Scientist!

persephone325

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 10:18:29 PM
In the meantime, though, I will announce that E's dicebot has picked Persephone to enjoy a free 6 month supply of pomegranates. to be the next Forensic Scientist!

*giggles* I'm happy with either! lol
I don't know.

Madame Professor

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
We'll get started tomorrow. I left my game in the car after game night, and it is so damn cold out that no one will ever convince me to run to my car for a game, no matter what you try. Brrrrr....

LOL!

This sounds like an excuse I'd use.

Verasaille

How far is that car? You can't even run out in a little bit of cold? I would warm you up when you get back!!  ;D

persephone325

I ran outside today in a t-shirt, sweatpants, and socks to help my dad load up his laptop and table for his DJ gig tonight. lol
I don't know.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Verasaille on January 19, 2016, 10:39:01 PM
How far is that car? You can't even run out in a little bit of cold? I would warm you up when you get back!!  ;D

Clearly Guy doesn't love us as much as we love him. *melodramatic sniffles*

Derwaysh

Bugger! Was I late? Nonetheless I shall keep me eye on the thread should you decide to do another run, RPGuy! ;D

A/A

persephone325

Quote from: Derwaysh on January 20, 2016, 03:35:33 AM
Bugger! Was I late? Nonetheless I shall keep me eye on the thread should you decide to do another run, RPGuy! ;D

If he runs the game again after this, I will happily give you my spot so you get a chance to play. ^^
I don't know.

Derwaysh

Quote from: persephone325 on January 20, 2016, 03:37:56 AM
If he runs the game again after this, I will happily give you my spot so you get a chance to play. ^^

Not an issue in the least. I am having a lot of fun just watching and also learning from how everyone's playing it! ;D

A/A

Madame Professor

You aren't late, Der dear. Guy hasn't handed out all the hidden roles yet. He was just announcing Persephone as the new FS for this round.

Fear not! We will toss you and Red into the frying pan!  >:)

Galactic Druid

When I said we have 12, I was counting you as number 11, Der, you're in!

I don't count as a player, I just had out cards unless I'm the FS.

Assassini

Basically a Merlin + Assassin combo. Sweet! That's awesome. I suspect this will make things actually harder for the investigators.

Quote from: Strangefate on January 19, 2016, 08:17:46 PM
Congrats Verasaille!  And a polite hat tip to Assassini as well who also mentioned that possibility.  I have to admit that while I wrote above that I found some merit in the Electric Current/Oil Stain argument, I’m not sure I would have ever actually guessed it myself.  So I’m glad that someone did.  :-)   That seemed like a rather tough round – Remiel really didn’t get a lot in the way of clues to point us towards Oil Stain.

Someone noticed! Fate is officially me new favourite.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 19, 2016, 10:26:30 PM
LOL!

This sounds like an excuse I'd use.

You know how cold it is around here, that's not an excuse, it's a totally legit reason. *shivers*

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 19, 2016, 10:57:11 PM
Clearly Guy doesn't love us as much as we love him. *melodramatic sniffles*

Lies, Guy adores you all!

I'm so glad the turnout for this game had been so good. You guys are awesome, and your enthusiasm is infectious.

If only I was having as good luck getting stories started as I am social games...

Remiel

Quote from: Assassini on January 20, 2016, 09:25:57 AM
Basically a Merlin + Assassin combo. Sweet! That's awesome. I suspect this will make things actually harder for the investigators.

Yeah, when Madame Professor was explaining what the witness does, she was like, "the Witness knows which two players (but not which is which) the Murderer and Accomplice are, but not the murder weapon or the evidence"  I was like "Well, that's dumb.  I hate the witness."

Then she said "but if the Investigators solve the crime, the Murderer and Accomplice get to guess who the Witness is.  If they're right, the witness is killed and they win," I said "Oh, like Avalon? I changed my mind, that's awesome."

BAMF

pah. Texans complaining that it's cold.

it's currently 19 degrees at 1pm.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Derwaysh

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 20, 2016, 07:15:10 AM
When I said we have 12, I was counting you as number 11, Der, you're in!

I don't count as a player, I just had out cards unless I'm the FS.

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 20, 2016, 06:46:23 AM
You aren't late, Der dear. Guy hasn't handed out all the hidden roles yet. He was just announcing Persephone as the new FS for this round.

Gotcha woot woo! ;D

And if you can all kindly bundle up your colds and send it Northern California way that'll be faaaaaantastic.

A/A

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 20, 2016, 06:46:23 AM

I found the murderer! Mp with the frying pan in the forum!

Guy- Whoops! Hit modify instead of quote! Not used to GM actions being there.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 20, 2016, 01:13:08 PM

But what was the key evidence?

RedPhoenix

Galactic Druid

Lol eww.

For some reason, Red, you avatar makes me think of a fancy futuristic VR headset. It makes me want to go dig up some old threads or mafia games....

RedPhoenix

I keep trying to push people to Mafia but nobody wants to play all vanilla versions!

Assassini

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 20, 2016, 01:13:08 PM

Abuse of GM powers! Silencing the masses now TRPG? :P

Galactic Druid

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 20, 2016, 02:04:48 PM
I keep trying to push people to Mafia but nobody wants to play all vanilla versions!

What do you mean by all vanilla? Just mafia and innocents, no special roles?

I was actually planning on pitching a round of werewolves during the Deception break. Depending on what you're looking for, maybe I can help.

yugi006

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 20, 2016, 02:04:48 PM

Not exactly nobody. A lot of us have shown interest. Just don't have enough people.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Assassini on January 20, 2016, 02:11:54 PM
Abuse of GM powers! Silencing the masses now TRPG? :P

The corruption knows no bounds!

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 20, 2016, 02:22:12 PM
What do you mean by all vanilla? Just mafia and innocents, no special roles?

I was actually planning on pitching a round of werewolves during the Deception break. Depending on what you're looking for, maybe I can help.

Yup, just normal people and maifa, no superpowers, just deduction and lies.

Quote from: yugi006 on January 20, 2016, 02:25:23 PM
Not exactly nobody. A lot of us have shown interest. Just don't have enough people.

Well, true, not nobody!

Verasaille

I have been looking for more games. I don't see many updated for this year at all.

yugi006

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 20, 2016, 02:28:08 PM
Yup, just normal people and maifa, no superpowers, just deduction and lies.

There should be at least some.

persephone325

I don't know.

Galactic Druid

I'll run one after the Deception break begins if we get enough interest. I haven't had terrible luck getting them started.

I have to admit, I prefer to play with at least a bodyguard, and love it most with a seer and some roles that cast shade, but I can do a vanilla round if enough people are interested.

RedPhoenix

Verasaille

So how do people get into the games? Does the GM start sending PM's out to see if they want to play?

Sorry I have no clue how this works. We used to have several games going and now they are done. I am up for any of them.

Galactic Druid

I think it could work with a fun theme and the promise of PMing allowed so people can strategies and power play. Well find out, I just made a sign up sheet.

yugi006

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 20, 2016, 02:42:00 PM
Nobody wants all vanilla, that's the problem. :P

That can get stale really fast asa then it just becomes random guessing.

RedPhoenix

It's the exact opposite of random guessing, but enough talk about that in this game's thread. :)

Galactic Druid

I've run plenty of vanilla games IRL, and it's never come to random guessing, and that's without the PM sneakiness and backstabbery going on.

yugi006

Galactic Druid

"What am I doing wrong here? I've got all the players involved- why are there only 11 sets of cards?" - A completely idiotic GM who is definitely not me.

Galactic Druid

I hope you guys realize how much I love you all. Drawing and typing out nearly 100 cards is boring as all get out. Probably why I'm talking to myself right now....

RedPhoenix

Galactic Druid

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 20, 2016, 10:42:28 PM
Awww poor guy. :(

<3!

Everything is sent out on my end, so now we wait for an initial posting from our Forensic Scientist.

Galactic Druid

You guys have been busy since I went to bed! I love it! Hope you all are having fun!

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 20, 2016, 10:39:30 PM
I hope you guys realize how much I love you all. Drawing and typing out nearly 100 cards is boring as all get out. Probably why I'm talking to myself right now....

Hahaha!

Totally picturing you alone in a dark room going "And Remiel gets this card, he'll like this card Precious, yes he will..."

Madame Professor

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 20, 2016, 10:39:30 PM

You don't have to worry until you start having arguments with yourself.

Galactic Druid

Those of you unfamiliar with me; every other weekend I have family commitments that usually keep me a little too busy for a heavy presence on Elliquiy. This is one of those weekends, and it's a pretty big one, so I'll be a little slower this weekend. That said, our FS has everything they need, so unless a specific rules question comes up, things should be able to flow smoothly.

persephone325

Remi, I have so much respect for you. I thought it was difficult trying to interpret the clues, oh my god! The FS has quite a task... Haha.
I don't know.

Remiel

I think I have narrowed it down to about two or three possibilities--I'm going to give other people a chance to try to solve the crime first, though.  :-)

And oh, yeah.  Just wait until you get to the Time of Day clue.  You'll be like, "Uh, can I pick None of the Above?"

persephone325

Quote from: Remiel on January 22, 2016, 04:51:37 PM
I think I have narrowed it down to about two or three possibilities--I'm going to give other people a chance to try to solve the crime first, though.  :-)

And oh, yeah.  Just wait until you get to the Time of Day clue.  You'll be like, "Uh, can I pick None of the Above?"

lol Are the clues the same every time? Like time of day, witness noticed, etc.?
I don't know.

Madame Professor

Quote from: persephone325 on January 22, 2016, 04:56:35 PM
lol Are the clues the same every time? Like time of day, witness noticed, etc.?

They are randomly drawn, so some might show up again.

Galactic Druid

There's less than 20, and we use 6 per game, so repeats are inevitable. I thought aboit setting aside anything that was already seen, but I was worried I'd break the game's balance if every FS didn't have the same chance to draw the same useful clues.

Galactic Druid

Big Kudos to Perse for keeping the game moving while I've been busy! Always feel free to tell someone if they were right if I'm not available.

persephone325

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 22, 2016, 06:29:33 PM
Big Kudos to Perse for keeping the game moving while I've been busy! Always feel free to tell someone if they were right if I'm not available.

I wasn't sure at first, but then was like "Well, I am the forensic scientist. I should be able to confirm, or deny, the accusations since I know who it is." lol

Also, I'm loving the charts and color coding you guys got going on. ^^
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

Agreed, you guys are going all in this round. Love it!

persephone325

I apologize for the delay in the next clue. I had to ask Guy to clear up a few things for me.
I don't know.

persephone325

Quote from: Remiel on January 26, 2016, 07:58:37 PM
I'm tempted to make a Venn diagram of all the clues, except that it would be the most complicated Venn diagram in the history of mankind.

I would be really interested in seeing that. lol
I don't know.

Verasaille

RedPhoenix

Um, like one of those things where circles overlap circles to show what is both or just one or some?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

Blythe

man, is it even possible to Venn diagram out all those clues and all those methods/evidences?

That'd be one huge diagram! ^^

...at the same time, I kinda want to know what a diagram with that much in it would look like.  ;D

Galactic Druid

Heyy guys, I apologize for this, but the friends I visited convicted me somehow to have a few drinks with then even though I never drunk. I thought I'd drop a note and let yall know I won't be able to post until tomorrow at lunch. Sorry to both decapitated and mafia groups, I'll get that post up asap, just not tonight.

Love you guys
-Guy

Blythe

I'm totes fine with a little delay--have fun having drinks with your pals, RPGuy! Try not to drink too many!  ;D

RedPhoenix

Galactic Druid

RedPhoenix

Galactic Druid

RedPhoenix

Galactic Druid

Verasaille

I loved the post!! I laughed and knew right away you were either posting on a cell phone and did not really see what the autocorrect was doing, or you were too drunk to pay attention. Either way, it was entertaining!

Galactic Druid

Given the length of this round relative to the other ones, I fear I may have hit that burnout point I was hoping to avoid that I mentioned at the end of the last game. Once this game wraps up, I'm planning to take a GMing break for a little while to focus on my writing and story hunt.

Hope everyone is okay with that, I promise more Deception early to mid March.

Strangefate

I was planning to bow out next round myself.  Thanks for running it though, Guy.  It seems like a fun game.  Maybe next time someone else can GM so you can get a chance to play as well  :-)
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

Blythe

I certainly don't mind a break; I was also going to bow out after this round.

Verasaille

Awesome that you run these Guy. Thanks for your patience. I enjoy the game.

Remiel

Yeah, I certainly enjoyed the fuck out of this particular game and definitely hope to participate again in the future.

Galactic Druid

I'm thinking mid March for another round or two, ideally starting the second round early April.

RedPhoenix

I have had a lot of fun (and angerGGGGRRRR but in a good way! :D) about this game but yeah I am overloaded at the moment and it is distracting me from the writing I actually am here to do, so I feels ya.

Definitely up for playing another round down the road sometime though.

Galactic Druid

I've already made a list of the original crew to PM when I start another round. That said, it's been a wonderful experience gaming with you all. I came back to E to run this, and I'm sticking around for the new friends I've made and stories I've started, so thank you all.

RedPhoenix

Verasaille

Ahhh, I was hoping for another round or two, this is fun! I love a good mystery.

yugi006

Whenever you decide to run this again I'll be up for it.

Galactic Druid

I'm really glad you guys enjoyed it so much!

Don't you worry, I promise it will be back soon, in 2 months at most!

In the meantime, I may run a couple rounds of Spyfall or Codenames after the Dungeon Crawl is wrapped up.

yugi006

Yay. Spyfall is fun. Never played Codenames though.

Galactic Druid

Codenames is great, it's a word guessing game, an the bigger your vocabulary, the better an edge you have.

yugi006

Galactic Druid

I may as well share an awful story. This is from Tuesday, that day I somehow let people drag me out to drink. I may as well mention, I never drink practically. I'm a relatively quiet person IRL who runs a boardgame group for fun. Not one of the cool kids.

Aaaaanyway, so we're playing codenames, and the idea of the game is there are players who are spymasters, and spies. There's a board on the table with a series of randomized words, and the spymasters are trying to get their team to guess as many of their words as possible. They do this by giving a clue that relates to words tagged as theirs, and then a number for how many words it relates to. For example, if I'm trying to get someone guess the words "Dolphin" and "Atlantis", I might give a clue such as "Underwater - 2", being careful that "Underwater" doesn't accidentally make them guess anything else on the board.

So anyway, now that you know the basics, I'm playing this game with my friends, after 2 beers (yes I'm a lightweight, I know), and despite my inebriation, I'm 2 words from winning, and killing it, the other team still has 4 to go. My two words remaining are "Stadium" and "Centaur". You guys may think these are hard words to link, BUT NOT FOR A WORD PRO LIKE ME! I'm so good at this. I confidently give my clue. "Cowboy - 2".

Now, my game group is in North Texas. Even if you have never watched a football game in your life, you've heard of cowboy stadium if you live in the area. They get 'stadium' without any problem. I'm such a good spymaster. The last one is obvious.... so... why is everyone starting at the board, completely confused? Both teams are looking at the available words like I just said something in Martian code. What gives? My team guesses a word. They're so wrong that it's actually the other team's word, meaning they get a point and our turn is over. In some kind of genius power play, they manage to win the game with a 3 word clue. ugh.

So at this point, the entire table wants to know; What was my other word for cowboy?

"Come on guys, it's so obvious." I explain, pointing to centaur.

"How is that obvious?"

"What, are you guys serious? Cow-boy, Centaur, half dude, half cow?"

"That's the wrong taur your moron!" According to a few players, it was the best absolutely wrong reasoning they've ever heard for a word selection in that game. I guess I should feel special. I blame the beer.

And that's why I'm never drinking again. The End.

* ThatRPGuy politely escorts himself to the embarrassed people section.

Madame Professor

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on February 01, 2016, 11:09:31 PM
I may as well share an awful story. This is from Tuesday, that day I somehow let people drag me out to drink. I may as well mention, I never drink practically. I'm a relatively quiet person IRL who runs a boardgame group for fun. Not one of the cool kids.

Aaaaanyway, so we're playing codenames, and the idea of the game is there are players who are spymasters, and spies. There's a board on the table with a series of randomized words, and the spymasters are trying to get their team to guess as many of their words as possible. They do this by giving a clue that relates to words tagged as theirs, and then a number for how many words it relates to. For example, if I'm trying to get someone guess the words "Dolphin" and "Atlantis", I might give a clue such as "Underwater - 2", being careful that "Underwater" doesn't accidentally make them guess anything else on the board.

So anyway, now that you know the basics, I'm playing this game with my friends, after 2 beers (yes I'm a lightweight, I know), and despite my inebriation, I'm 2 words from winning, and killing it, the other team still has 4 to go. My two words remaining are "Stadium" and "Centaur". You guys may think these are hard words to link, BUT NOT FOR A WORD PRO LIKE ME! I'm so good at this. I confidently give my clue. "Cowboy - 2".

Now, my game group is in North Texas. Even if you have never watched a football game in your life, you've heard of cowboy stadium if you live in the area. They get 'stadium' without any problem. I'm such a good spymaster. The last one is obvious.... so... why is everyone starting at the board, completely confused? Both teams are looking at the available words like I just said something in Martian code. What gives? My team guesses a word. They're so wrong that it's actually the other team's word, meaning they get a point and our turn is over. In some kind of genius power play, they manage to win the game with a 3 word clue. ugh.

So at this point, the entire table wants to know; What was my other word for cowboy?

"How is that obvious?"

"That's the wrong taur your moron!" According to a few players, it was the best absolutely wrong reasoning they've ever heard for a word selection in that game. I guess I should feel special. I blame the beer.

* Madame Professor is still laughing.

Best. Story. Ever.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Remiel on February 01, 2016, 11:24:49 PM
I thought this was the funniest part of the story.   ;)

Our tabletop sessions don't count! I go into them with a plan since I'm the GM, plus I already knew you guys and it's not like we're all sitting at a table. If you guys ever wanted to meet for pizza I'd freeze up. ; (

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 26, 2016, 10:09:11 PM
Heyy guys, I apologize for this, but the friends I visited convicted me somehow to have a few drinks with then even though I never drunk. I thought I'd drop a note and let yall know I won't be able to post until tomorrow at lunch. Sorry to both decapitated and mafia groups, I'll get that post up asap, just not tonight.

Love you guys
-Guy

Lel.

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on February 01, 2016, 11:09:31 PM

"How is that obvious?"

Incidentally, I've played Codenames and it's actually legit such a fun game to play. Dead simple and straight-forward and no less fun because of it. Playing it drunk is cracking too. I have a similar story of where my friend is trying to make us guess 3 different words, one of which is "Lawyer" (I can't remember the other ones, but they were along a similar vein) and so he says "Argo". Thinking that we'll instantly get the reference to the film Argo. Meanwhile I go on a spiel thinking "Ohshit, he is CLEARLY talking about the Argo from Jason and the Argonauts, so this is some kind of Greek Myth type of reference". Luckily the others told me to shut up and sit down.

Anyway, a few things.

First of all: thanks TRPG for running these games, they've been crackalacking. I'd like to, as always, put my name forward for any future attempts at starting up some games (of any sort really).

Second of all: everyone else, I am sorry for my vanishing act in this most recent game. I've barely been around E the past week and a bit and so I completely lost track of what was going on. It's a bit shit to so blatantly just go AWOL and not provide any input to the game, so I do apologise for that.

It was actually because of that I was going to say that if there were any other games immediately coming up that I felt I would duck out so that it doesn't happen again. But if the next games aren't going to be a for a little while, I'll hold off on making that decision until the time comes!