The Three of Cups - Tarot Discussions

Started by Dys Astyr, May 25, 2017, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 15, 2017, 12:03:54 PM

There was a tarot haiku going on at Aeclectic when they closed down.  You randomly pull 3 cards.  They can be all from the same deck or different decks.  Then write a line of haiku for each card. 
This is the original thread with the original directions.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=197285
This is my post
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=5027705&postcount=192

I've been thinking about starting a thread for the Tarot Haiku.  Anyone interested? and where would be the best part of E to start it?

We got a Poetry forum... ;)

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 15, 2017, 12:05:22 PM
I will gladly follow your story, Oniya!  ;D

I'm going to be hitting the PA Renfaire in a couple of weeks.  I'm probably going to slip into the 'crystals and witchy stuff' shop and see if any decks volunteer.  Otherwise, I'll use the first of my current collection that shows up (they hide now and then.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dys Astyr

I love the sound of tarot stories and the haiku! I've been playing with the idea of doing a tarot powered story for a while, but never could get the oomph needed to make it real, so I'm 100% behind someone else making it happen. ;D
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Oniya

I'm still debating how to share it, since I want to both keep y'all updated and eventually self-publish it.  Perhaps making each chapter available for a space of time here and replacing it with the next one when that's ready.  At a bare minimum, I'll be putting up a chapter summary, including the card identifier and the interpretation that the chapter focuses on.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Dys Astyr

That's a tricky hurdle. Well, however you decide to do it I'm sure you will have a fan base here. :-)

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 18, 2017, 04:57:44 PM
That's a tricky hurdle. Well, however you decide to do it I'm sure you will have a fan base here. :-)
Do you need help critiquing?  A friend of mine self pubbed her book The Eyes of March back in February.
https://www.amazon.com/Eyes-March-MANTIC-1/dp/1542913179/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503094733&sr=1-3&keywords=mantic
I helped critique her.  I know many writers use Google Docs but make sure it's password protected or just use email.  Can you post it here?  If you self-pub, you don't need to worry about first published.  Just make sure you post it in a password protected part of the site.

One of my favorite anime series is Escaflowne.  It uses tarot reading as a plot device.  They made a tarot deck based on the one in the series but it's out of print.
https://www.amazon.com/Hitomis-Tarot-Cards-Escaflowne/dp/B003BMA00Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503094969&sr=1-2&keywords=hitomi%27s+escaflowne

Another tv show that used tarot cards was Carnivale.  Skip down to Tarot Divination on the page to read about the tarot and how it was used in the series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_Carniv%C3%A0le
Sadly they never had a complete deck or major arcana.

edit, I just found this deck [Escaflowne] on ebay.  It arrives by the end of the month, I'm so excited!  ;D
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Dys Astyr

Holy fucking cartomancy batman they made an Escaflowne deck???

Must have. O_O

Honestly I don't remember there being tarot in that series but it's been a long time...

I'm getting my animes confused, I was thinking RaXephon for some reason. >_> I like Escaflowne too though, and it's still a pretty awesome find.

I really, really want the deck they did for Dragon Age Inquisition, but I didn't find out they were doing it until the preorders were sold out and the deck currently goes for about $200 on ebay. :/

Oniya

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 18, 2017, 05:30:49 PM
Do you need help critiquing?  A friend of mine self pubbed her book The Eyes of March back in February.
https://www.amazon.com/Eyes-March-MANTIC-1/dp/1542913179/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503094733&sr=1-3&keywords=mantic
I helped critique her.  I know many writers use Google Docs but make sure it's password protected or just use email.  Can you post it here?  If you self-pub, you don't need to worry about first published.  Just make sure you post it in a password protected part of the site.

I would very much appreciate constructive criticism.  Once I have something actually written, I'll chat with you more about that.  Any chapters that I do post here would be in the Storyteller's Forum, so that's in the Members Only area. 

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on August 18, 2017, 06:39:32 PM
I would very much appreciate constructive criticism.  Once I have something actually written, I'll chat with you more about that.  Any chapters that I do post here would be in the Storyteller's Forum, so that's in the Members Only area.
Sounds good, Oniya!

New Elliquiy E*clipse reading posted!
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=271418.msg13442364#msg13442364  ;D
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt

Majere Dreavan

I don't know if this is been said before, But I really want Piers Anthony's 100 card Tarot! I think it would be awesome and open up so many possibilities.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Majere Dreavan on August 22, 2017, 06:22:14 PM
I don't know if this is been said before, But I really want Piers Anthony's 100 card Tarot! I think it would be awesome and open up so many possibilities.
From the book series?  Sounds interesting.

Oniya

I'm going to have to go look up the extra 22 cards...

Dys Astyr

I can't even imagine the cramps I'd get from trying to shuffle a 100 card deck... -____-

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 22, 2017, 07:43:34 PM
I can't even imagine the cramps I'd get from trying to shuffle a 100 card deck... -____-
Honestly, mass market cards are so thin and flimsy these days I don't think it would be too hard.  I'm hard on my cards though because I riffle-shuffle.  I just like the air going through the cards when I shuffle.

Tarot of the Silicon Dawn has 97 cards
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/silicon-dawn/
Dreams of Gaia has 81.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dreams-of-gaia-tarot/

I read on Aeclectic some readers use 2 decks combined but I can't imagine why.  I find using oracle cards accompanying a reading more effective than using 2 decks.  I suppose if you do bring up the same card from each deck in a reading it would reinforce the message two-fold.

Majere Dreavan

My favorite card in that set is "the Ghost" I always imagined it as a floating lantern.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 23, 2017, 07:34:08 AM
Honestly, mass market cards are so thin and flimsy these days I don't think it would be too hard.  I'm hard on my cards though because I riffle-shuffle.  I just like the air going through the cards when I shuffle.

Yea but I use the shuffle-till-the-cards-jump-out method, which means I'm sometimes shuffling for a good chunk of time depending on the size of the spread. It can get quite uncomfortable, especially with larger sized cards.

Majere Dreavan

I would probably cut the deck in fours and cross shuffle a few times

Dys Astyr

Cards for the day:
The Emperor
The Tower
The Fool

I'm not sure whether I should be excited or go back to bed... >_>

Oniya

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 26, 2017, 10:16:58 AM
Cards for the day:
The Emperor
The Tower
The Fool

I'm not sure whether I should be excited or go back to bed... >_>

Dys (Tower) tells Adulting (Emperor) 'I don't wanna', and goes out to play with the dog (at least, most images of the Fool I've seen have a dog in there somewhere.)

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2017, 01:01:15 PM
Dys (Tower) tells Adulting (Emperor) 'I don't wanna', and goes out to play with the dog (at least, most images of the Fool I've seen have a dog in there somewhere.)

I like this interpretation. ;D

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2017, 01:01:15 PM
So damn funny, Oniya!  XD

Something I do tell people about the tower (especially in the summertime or storm season) is make sure to backup your work and backup your computer.  You never know when the power will go out.

SaturnCeleste

Oniya

I have acquired the thing.  I went into 'Merlin's Mirror' at the PA Renfaire, and scanned over their decks and picked out the 'Dreaming Way' Tarot - a deck I haven't encountered before, but the front cover looks an awful lot like Saturn's avatar.  Standard 78-card setup, and didn't feel too 'erudite' for the task.  Going to take a couple of days to get to know it, and then I'll make my first 'chapter' drawing.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on September 03, 2017, 11:02:07 PM
I have acquired the thing.  I went into 'Merlin's Mirror' at the PA Renfaire, and scanned over their decks and picked out the 'Dreaming Way' Tarot - a deck I haven't encountered before, but the front cover looks an awful lot like Saturn's avatar.  Standard 78-card setup, and didn't feel too 'erudite' for the task.  Going to take a couple of days to get to know it, and then I'll make my first 'chapter' drawing.
Oh thank you for mentioning me!  I love the Dreaming Way deck and use it often.  It makes me happy working with it.  I also love the androgyny of it.  And mark my words, we'll all be wearing that style of shoes within the year! lol
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dreaming-way/

I look forward to your story!

Dys Astyr

So... I was wondering if anyone does this/does something like this.

When I am thinking about working with a new deck (or an old deck I haven't managed to wrap my head around) I shuffle the decks and sit them on either end of my spread cloth. I then flip the cards over one by one until I get a match. I use that card as a sort of... Connection I guess. How they are similar. Basically to gauge what would be the best way for me to approach the new deck, since I am tarot-challenged. XD

I did this little flippy-thing this morning with my tried and true Golden Thread and my Cosmos Tarot. I love the idea of the Cosmos Tarot but I just can't seem to get along with it. Partially because each card was designed by a different artist, partially because it deviates significantly from what I've managed to get to know about the tarot...

Anyway, I did the flippy thing and not one match but two came up. First the Queen of Cups and then the King of Pentacles. And like... Damn that's pretty intense. I don't know what to think about it.

I already do two cards each morning, one from the Golden Thread and one from the Vertigo. I'm considering either replacing one or the other with the Cosmos for a bit or just adding a third card, though using three separate tarot decks seems a bit much for a simple daily draw.

I just really don't know what to think about this. XD

SaturnCeleste

I don't read for myself so I can't relate that way but I have experienced the same card popping up for someone I've read for before BUT I never use the same deck, so it's a card that pops up for the same person, different deck and weeks later.  When that happens I make sure to look at that card because I take it as a clear message from the universe to them.

You might want to journal about that, keep track of the date, time and cards involved.  Maybe there's a pattern?