The Caverns of Chaos[D&D]

Started by Giant Moth, March 04, 2007, 09:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnookums

Well, there are multiple editions of D&D, he very well could be a classic player who's not totally familiar with 3rd ed.
(EDIT: Of course, you also mentioned familiarity with 3rd ed being necessary, so I feel foolish now)

schnookums

Well, I'm thinking of playing either a Human Cleric, a Human Rogue, or a Ratling (From Oriental Adventures) Rogue. Will narrow down to one in the next day or so, methinks.

Hunter

*holds up hand*  How about a troll?  Maybe a barbarian or a monk?

(I have a half dragon/half troll paladin in mind but the ECL is like 8....)

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Giant Moth on March 05, 2007, 05:53:48 PM
Are you sure you know D&D if you don't know the point buy system?

Yep.  Cut my gaming teeth on the original Basic D&D boxed set with the crumbly dice back in 1981.  This was back when pizza delivery was unavailable in many areas, MTV actually showed music videos, "mail" had no "e" in front of it and you had to use a stamp to send it, you had to wait until Saturday morning to watch cartoons, and the Cokes we drank had real sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup.  Been gaming ever since.  So yes, I do believe I enjoy some familiarity with Dungeons and Dragons.

QuoteIt's in the Dungeon Masters guide... don't know the page. Can be found by the index probably.

And again, how can you not know where the price list(s) is?

I have the PH for 3.5 but not the DMG.  And most price lists in basic books don't cover magical items.  Unless 3.5 took a page from Gygax's DMG 1.0 and included an expanded price list for things like a girdle of storm giant strength.  Haven't seen the insides of the 3.5 DMG but if it's that crucial I'll hie my ass down to the bookstore these weekend and snag one.

Hunter

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on March 06, 2007, 04:24:26 AM
Yep.  Cut my gaming teeth on the original Basic D&D boxed set with the crumbly dice back in 1981.  This was back when pizza delivery was unavailable in many areas, MTV actually showed music videos, "mail" had no "e" in front of it and you had to use a stamp to send it, you had to wait until Saturday morning to watch cartoons, and the Cokes we drank had real sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup.  Been gaming ever since.  So yes, I do believe I enjoy some familiarity with Dungeons and Dragons.

I have the PH for 3.5 but not the DMG.  And most price lists in basic books don't cover magical items.  Unless 3.5 took a page from Gygax's DMG 1.0 and included an expanded price list for things like a girdle of storm giant strength.  Haven't seen the insides of the 3.5 DMG but if it's that crucial I'll hie my ass down to the bookstore these weekend and snag one.

Ah, the memories...
Try http://www.opengamingfoundation.org

Giant Moth

Oh ok then. Well as Hunter pointed out, there's a System Reference Sheet, which shows most rules as open source. You can find the point buy system and the magical items in it.

Troll's ok hunter, I hope that isn't a female one though, because eww... remember the erotic twist! No half-dragon though. I've a personal vendetta against half-dragon templates.
Giant mother cuter than you!

Hunter

Quote from: Giant Moth on March 06, 2007, 07:03:09 AM
Oh ok then. Well as Hunter pointed out, there's a System Reference Sheet, which shows most rules as open source. You can find the point buy system and the magical items in it.

Troll's ok hunter, I hope that isn't a female one though, because eww... remember the erotic twist! No half-dragon though. I've a personal vendetta against half-dragon templates.

*sings*
Daddy was a dragon and Mommy was a troll!
Daddy humped Mommy then left her in a hole!

;D

Giant Moth

Giant Moth

Well, tis time for you to get some characters rolling!

Lirliel

Hmm having a bit of problems for getting my character thought up.. Inspiration gone I figure :S
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Giant Moth

I'm sure you'll figure something out :p

If not, you can always get inspirational help around here -.-

Anathanasia

I'm a bit at a loss as well. Kinda want to avoid poopy ECL things in a solo game, it's a bit crippling. Otherwise I'd do something fun with a drowess. ;D

So I'm kinda torn between a ranger and barbarian, races to be determined. Or maybe a paladin, nothing like sexually molesting hawt paladin babes to make a day complete!  ;)
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

Dreamy

Since it is going to be more of a bunch of solo games running in parallell, would it be possible to just look on for a while and see what you mean and how you apply it before asking to be allowed to join?

Giant Moth

Of course.

Well Drow's arn't too bad an ECL. They get one, don't they? Or wait, maybe it was two.

I'm not a stone hard D&D ultra rulepampered lawyer dm(which most are), and more flexible with the rules. LA system is very annoying, stupid and eh... stupid to begin with. So if you really want to play a drow, you can do so without the racial template. You're just an... ah... weak drow :p

Dreamy

Thankees :)

And frankly I could see letting drow get away with an LA of +1, because their abilities look as if they were put in place with a scattergun. ;)

(And in the Unearthed Arcana there are rules for buying LA away that are very neat)

Lirliel

http://www.3edb.com/viewCharacter.asp?cid=15406

Just need to get the description etc. up, but this is my character so far.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Giant Moth

Looks good. Dont forget to post it here:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=347.0

And I'll set up a thread first thing in the morning.

Giant Moth

Ah yes, forgot to mention, just roll your hp. I don't care too much if you want to show it or not, I trust my players here.

WarDragon

I'm interested, with a few ideas bubbling up.

Do you have a vendetta against any character with dragon ancestry or flavor, or the template specifically?  The ECL is far too low to consider playing a half-dragon anyway (the bonuses don't start to outweigh the LA until you can get at least 5 class levels), but I'm curious.

Giant Moth

Yes... that depends what you had in mind, but I don't generally like characters or anybody that has dragons blood in them, mostly because it is an overused concept in my book.. and... yeah.

Anathanasia

I'm thinking about playing a drow still, so I'm wondering, given ECLs, you will naturally be tailoring each characters encounters/game to that individual, right? Like a rogue won't be tested by combat so much, but by skill stuff, and you wouldn't set a poison needle trap as a challenge for a wizard, correct?

So, for instance, a fighter with only 4 class levels but +2 ECL could still expect a reasonable challenge, just not the challenge made for fighter with 2 more HD and +2 BAB?

The problem with ECL in a solo game is that ECL is designed for internally balancing a party. It kind of gets messy trying to use it as a guide for solo games. I'm not trying to get out of anything, I'm just trying to get a feel and see if I could play a drow something without crippling myself.

Does all that make sense?

Giant Moth

Oh I just toss you against whatever can be fun. The purpose of the game is not to present an induvidual challenge for each character... or for them to win over it by nesecity. The game is supposed to be a fun trip into a dungeon, throw in some classic dungeon crawl(but with a single character), throw in an erotic twist... and generally just have fun. I did a disclaimer at my original post that it would be somewhat rough.

As for the drow, read up a few posts, I gave you an answer to the drow ECL there -_-. But if you really want it's abilities and the ECL, I'll make sure you don't meet something that godmodes you, no.

WarDragon

Quote from: Giant Moth on March 08, 2007, 09:13:07 AM
Yes... that depends what you had in mind, but I don't generally like characters or anybody that has dragons blood in them, mostly because it is an overused concept in my book.. and... yeah.
I see.  As you could probably guess, I'm quite the dragon fan, but I'll try to restrain myself this time around.  I'm considering a Favored Soul, just need to pick a deity.

Giant Moth

That's alright :)

When you come up with something, just ask, never hurts to ask  :D

Anathanasia

Boo, your option was no fun. Drow without the template and the fun stuff (like SR!)? Never!

I think I'll play a drow anyway, just because I haven't played one in a while (in a game that's lasted) and they are so sexy! So...drow ninja! And she'll fight with a spiked chain! ;D

(I's been watching too much hentai again lately...and the first part of Kill Bill. Heh.)