News:

Main Menu

Rebooting GladOS

Started by Callie Del Noire, April 16, 2011, 02:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

It's kind of ironic given that I had already gotten about half the games in the potato sack BEFORE this event occured..they were all indie studio games and soooo cool.. I mean Audiosurf is just wild. Even more so with the Portal theme

Callie Del Noire

Wolfy

God I can't wait till Midnight Tonight...

Sooo..Callie...still need a Portal 2 Co-Op Partner? :P

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on April 18, 2011, 02:02:53 AM
Those videos are made of so much win.

Read some of the text on them.. add in stuff like..these.. Pay attention to the text :D And if you check out the wiki entry on Cave Johnson it gets.. REALLY weird.

Portal 2 - Propulsion Gel

Portal 2 - Repulsion Gel

Wolfy

Quote from: Wolfy on April 18, 2011, 02:02:08 AM
God I can't wait till Midnight Tonight...

Sooo..Callie...still need a Portal 2 Co-Op Partner? :P

*pokes Callie!*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on April 18, 2011, 03:04:27 AM
*pokes Callie!*

Which version.. I got the Xbox version..then was gifted Portal 2 by a buddy on steam.. (whose PC just gacked out sadly)

Callie Del Noire

I think the 'critical point' has just been passed at the GLADos@Home site.

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

It's now counting down from the accrued 450,000 potatoe power it had..

Some of the stuff it just kicked out in the last hour.

10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 18, 2011, 10:33:26 AM
Which version.. I got the Xbox version..then was gifted Portal 2 by a buddy on steam.. (whose PC just gacked out sadly)

PC. *poke*

Callie Del Noire

Wolfy

.......................................................*snickers and runs away giggling* Mac....

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on April 18, 2011, 07:52:26 PM
.......................................................*snickers and runs away giggling* Mac....

Looks at his Dual Quad Core, 8 GM memory and 1 TB of space.. Mac OS 10.6 AND Windows Vista 64 bit professional.

I've had TWO BSODs since I got it.. both of which were dual in part to Florida thunderstorms.. best Windows Machine I've ever had.

Jeramiahh

It's on the final countdown, now. I know the ARG and everything got me to buy the game, when I'd originally been waiting for reviews to land, first. But, I have to say, all the stuff Vavle's done, around the game, involving the Potato Sack and everything? Insane.

Here's a wiki, that's chronicling the full journey... a little tricky to follow, but this is the full story of all the insane stuff they did, just to release this game. http://valvearg.com/wiki/Valve_PotatoFoolsDay_ARG_Wiki
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Shjade

Oh damn, is that tonight? I forgot. :o

Hm. I don't have a co-op partner, come to think of it. The guy I would have called on for it is...permanently indisposed.

*sigh*
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Jeramiahh

With only two games left unfinished (Defense Grid and Amnesia), the countdown timer's down to the last 35 minutes. Looks like, barring a massive, last-minute effort to finish Defense Grid, the game will officially release of 12:35 AM, EST.

SO EXCITED.Excitement is not necessary for the performance of Science. Please refrain from further excitement. You monster.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Callie Del Noire

@ 12:33 EST my copy unlocked.. GLEE

Aporia

Game is out!  ;D

Enjoy playing everyone!

Callie Del Noire

ooo.. GladOS is very very passive aggressive.

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 18, 2011, 08:02:13 PM
Looks at his Dual Quad Core, 8 GM memory and 1 TB of space.. Mac OS 10.6 AND Windows Vista 64 bit professional.

I've had TWO BSODs since I got it.. both of which were dual in part to Florida thunderstorms.. best Windows Machine I've ever had.

:D 6 Cores, 8GB of memory, and 1TB here.

Anyway...come on..be my partner! I need someone I can trust...to drop down random portals to their death. *whistles*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on April 19, 2011, 02:09:41 AM
:D 6 Cores, 8GB of memory, and 1TB here.

Anyway...come on..be my partner! I need someone I can trust...to drop down random portals to their death. *whistles*

I dunno.. I mean.. you mocked my system.

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 19, 2011, 03:14:25 AM
I dunno.. I mean.. you mocked my system.

Yes....but I'm also your tamer. *winks*

Callie Del Noire

When I finish the single player.. returns to beating head against hte wall in chapter 6

Vekseid

"How do the hell do I solve this? And what does the white gel do?

...awesome!"

Jeramiahh

Took me just about six hours, but beat it.

That... was one HELL of a ride. And, maybe I missed them, but I didn't see an option for challenge or advanced maps... hopefully, they'll add something like that, though most of the puzzles were tricky enough, I'm still not sure I could repeat the feat if I went right back in. And I know I missed a few of the secrets, so I'll need to go back and find those.

And, of course, co-op awaits, which looks exciting as well.

Ending boss was a much better fight, and the ending scenes had me laughing, more than a few times.

Spoilered discussion, including ending, hidden below.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I'm in space!

My god, I loved those puzzles. I had to go over some of them six or seven times, because I flubbed the sequence, just slightly, but I loved it. Short, but fantastically polished. And I LOVED the introduction sequence. "Okay, trying for manual override of the wall! Here we go!"

I like that we had the opportunity to redeem Glados. Even if it was only for a few minutes. And... the moon. That was amazing. That was *hilarious*. THAT is how you kill a boss, by throwing him to the moon.

And I totally agree on the white gel, Veks, that was incredible. I was sitting there for a good few minutes, trying to figure out what was happening... by the time I finished that one, the entire room was splattered with white. It was awesome.

I'm a little disappointed the new song wasn't anywhere near as catchy as 'Still Alive', and, honestly, the game isn't quite as quotable as the original, but it definitely had some excellent banter between the two villains.

I know I'll have more thoughts, as soon as I post this, but for now, it is way past my usual bedtime, so I am going to get some sleep.

A+ game, though.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 19, 2011, 01:09:53 AM
ooo.. GladOS is very very passive aggressive.
So she hasn't changed, then.
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on April 19, 2011, 03:42:59 PM
So she hasn't changed, then.
She never said you were FAT before.

Vekseid

...Steam is saying I completed Single Player in four hours... I'm pretty sure it took me twice that long. I crashed once, which may have been why.

I think GlaDOS had a weaker performance this time around. I think the ending could have been done better, namely:

Why not give Chell control of her own escape? It would have been a few final puzzles at least.

A set of single player challenge maps would have been nice. Maybe there'll be added content.

I made a new Steam account for this game and so am friendless. Amusing!

Shjade

Quote from: Vekseid on April 19, 2011, 09:34:17 PM
...Steam is saying I completed Single Player in four hours... I'm pretty sure it took me twice that long. I crashed once, which may have been why.
Steam's time tracker gets wonky sometimes. It claims I beat Half-Life 2 in three hours which is, I think, impossible without cheating.
◕/◕'s

Wolfy

I think GlaDOS had a weaker performance this time around. I think the ending could have been done better, namely:

Why not give Chell control of her own escape? It would have been a few final puzzles at least.

A set of single player challenge maps would have been nice. Maybe there'll be added content.

Heh, post your steam name and you won't be friendless for long..:D

Everyone wants to get Buddy buddy with the leader of the greatest site in existence. :P

Callie Del Noire

Heh.. still doing the Single Player..

The 'Cave Johnson' segment I liked.. not sure about the stuff after..

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 20, 2011, 01:31:59 AM
Heh.. still doing the Single Player..

The 'Cave Johnson' segment I liked.. not sure about the stuff after..

Arrrrgh..we need to do Co-Op Callie! D:

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on April 20, 2011, 01:36:37 AM
Arrrrgh..we need to do Co-Op Callie! D:

Single player gets done first.

Yorubi

Rawr you could buy me the game and I'll do co op with you... *winks* lol XD

Wolfy

Kunoichi

*just finished single player, herself*

So Chell escapes to the surface?  I wonder what sort of adventures she'll have up there...?

Vekseid

Quote from: Wolfy on April 20, 2011, 12:02:12 AM
Heh, post your steam name and you won't be friendless for long..:D

Everyone wants to get Buddy buddy with the leader of the greatest site in existence. :P

PM me for my id. : )

Geeklet

Quote from: Jeramiahh on April 19, 2011, 07:05:48 AM

I'm a little disappointed the new song wasn't anywhere near as catchy as 'Still Alive'...

While not as catchy, I do think it is still a better song. Does a better job to capture the utter disgust Glados has with you that she doesn't even care if you are dead, just that you are gone.

Shjade

Why make a new account for one game?
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Finished with the Single Player Portion...

DAMN what a way to end the boss fight! Moon shot! LITERALLY

Vekseid

Quote from: Shjade on April 20, 2011, 05:20:32 PM
Why make a new account for one game?

Because I didn't have an account to begin with.

Shjade

Aha. Well then, welcome to Steamery. ;p
◕/◕'s

Wolfy

Indeed...and prepare to lose all your money on their thousands of deals each month. xD

Jeramiahh

Finished playing through the co-op campaign, earlier, and, without spoiling anything, I'll just say that it satisfied all of my complaints about the main game; primarily, that it was too short, and that the puzzles almost seemed too easy. Co-op easily answers both of those; it's nearly as long as the main campaign (40 test chambers, over 5 chapters!) and it assumes you've beaten the game already, as it introduces mechanics with no explanation, and uses them in downright crazy ways.

Callie Del Noire

I think it's fairly easy to divide the single player segment into a few sections.

GladOS, Cave Johnson, Wheatley. :D

Wheatly drove me NUTS in a few spots.

Shjade

Had to get Wolfy's help with one of the last test chambers, but went through the rest mostly smooth. I'd say that's probably a fair level of difficulty balanced by great humor and fun.

I think I'll have to put off the co-op for a while. Holy Week is crazy times at work. x.x
◕/◕'s

Remiel

Working through the Co-op campaign with my roommate, and it's just as much fun as the single-player campaign.  I really like how the challenges require precise communication and teamwork in order to advance.  At first, we pretty much tried to sabotage each other whenever possible -- until we realized that if we kept it up, we'd be there all night.

Haven't beat the single-player yet, but I'm liking how the events are playing out so far (I'm currently in the Cave Johnson area).  I think my favorite bit so far was

swapping out the functioning turret template with the defective one. 

*flip* "I don't understaaaaaaand."

Vekseid

The co-op was fun but it makes the replay value seem a little lacking. There's an achievement for taking a friend through it the first time (any volunteers? >_>) and grabbing whatever you missed, but after that, what is there?

A lot of the puzzles and achievements in this game require a bit of lateral thinking, but none of them require a terrible amount of agility. If you're stuck at any point thinking that you have to be ridiculously agile at some point, you need to rethink the puzzle - and you probably missed something.

It's a bit cruel in this regard, because ridiculous agility actually can work on some parts of puzzles. It just isn't ever actually needed.

One thing that will help for tests and achievements where agility helps is that you don't get reoriented while looking straight down or straight up when falling through portals. This can help you get your bearings while bouncing around, though this is mostly useful in the original Portal's advanced missions.

Wolfy

I'm calling it now..Cave Johnson is going to be a character who becomes the center of thousands of memes. :P

Wolfy

Also, I like the ending to Portal 2..especially the new song. :D...

...Really shows a certain character actually has a heart, if you look at it from the right perspective.

AllieCat

I'm in spaaaaaace...
*giggles*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: AllieCat on April 23, 2011, 12:35:36 AM
I'm in spaaaaaace...
*giggles*

Yup .. yup.. got to like that part. I was like. 'no way' when I did the finishing move.

AllieCat

and all the while Wheatley is reflecting on what a cad he was, the orange core's flying around going "SPAAAAAAAACEEE!!!"

Jude

Played through Portal 2 from start to finish with friends late last night.  It was much better than I was expecting.  I thought the first game was had interesting mechanics and gameplay, plus a nice bit of a charm, but no real storyline to speak of.  This is obviously completely different in that regard -- which is good, because by the end of our 7 hour playthrough my brain was really hurting from all of the puzzle solving so story sequences were a nice break.

There's a ton of room for future content additions too.  I still want to see a chamber that uses Thermal Discouragement beams/redirection cubes, Light Staircases, Tractor Beams, all 3 gels, and companion cubes in 1 puzzle.

I only got about 2-3 hours into the co-op before I had to sleep, but it was pretty satisfying too.

Vekseid

Quote from: AllieCat on April 23, 2011, 01:23:56 AM
and all the while Wheatley is reflecting on what a cad he was, the orange core's flying around going "SPAAAAAAAACEEE!!!"

The Space Sphere is the Best Sphere, because it's the best at Space. And really, there's nothing better to be the best at.

There's no white gel in the co-op. That annoyed me.

Apparently the first meaningful DLC is going to include pnuematic diversity vents, which didn't make it into the initial release.

Pneumatic Diversity Vent

Wolfy

is the DLC going to add onto the story any, or is it just going to be new Test Chambers/new mechanics?

Because..well...

If you've played through co-op fully, you know that GLaDoS has thousands upon Thousands of live test subjects now...so it could be we won't be playing Chell in the DLC. :P

Callie Del Noire

Had my first taste of multiplayer with Veks yesterday before my seasonal migraines hit. Needless to say while I enjoyed it that I SUCK at co-op. (Ask Veks.. :D Thanks for putting up with me)

Off to sleep again..

Vekseid

On the other hand, you got the iron grip achievement on your first go, which is pretty impressive >_>

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Vekseid on April 24, 2011, 03:17:15 AM
On the other hand, you got the iron grip achievement on your first go, which is pretty impressive >_>

True.. but I got killed by a DOOR

Geeklet

I really need to try Co-op sometime. Only problem is I generally dislike doing such things with complete strangers over Steam who often turn into idiots.

Callie Del Noire

Heh.  I know the feeling but I'm sure you can find someone here wou,d help. I'm a spaz myself but I act nice.  ;D

WhiteyChan

Quote from: Geeklet on April 24, 2011, 11:39:00 AM
I really need to try Co-op sometime. Only problem is I generally dislike doing such things with complete strangers over Steam who often turn into idiots.

If you've got it on Steam, I'd totally play co-op with you, Geeklet ;D

Callie Del Noire

I am kind of curious..can you use the laser to kill your partner? (still in shock/surprise over the door)

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 24, 2011, 06:45:00 AM
True.. but I got killed by a DOOR
Don't feel bad about that. Veks got killed by the door when he was playing with me.
◕/◕'s

Remiel

Just thought I'd mention that I have the XBOX version, in case anyone is on LIVE and needs a partner. =P

Kunoichi

Le RandomBloke

I'll tell you one thing:

The adventure core needs the respect it deserves, he was far more entertaining than the space core :<

Portal 2 - Personality Core 03 "Adventure Core"

(It's a video of all his delicious talkness) Always time to compliment a pretty lady.

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

Kunoichi

*preferred the Fact Core, herself, even if every single one of its facts were wrong*

All quotes from Portal 2's Fact Sphere

Le RandomBloke

butheinsultedmyfavourite:(

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

Kunoichi

Yes, but those 'facts' are absolutely hilarious. ;D For example, did you know that ancient greek sailors were the first to invent pants?  They did it to avoid angering the sea god Poseidon, who hated the sight of naked sailors. :P

Vekseid

The space core is clearly superior because it does not need to try and claim superiority. It just is. Rick and Factso are just insecure.

Geeklet

But... But..

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Le RandomBloke

None of them
can beat Cave Johnson though. I don't want your damn lemons!

Geeklet

You know, people keep raving over him, but he never really did much for me in the lol department, at least nothing more than anything else in the game.

Remiel

I still have a soft spot for Wheatley.  Poor spastic, paranoid, inferiority complex-suffering, chattering Wheatley.

Also, did anyone else get chills when

GlaDOS (under Caroline's influence)  cheered Cave's farewell speech? "Yeah! Yeah!  Goodbye, sir."

Le RandomBloke

Quote from: Geeklet on April 28, 2011, 08:22:54 AM
You know, people keep raving over him, but he never really did much for me in the lol department, at least nothing more than anything else in the game.

I didn't find him funny, just plain awesome.

Also if anyone is desperate need of an amigo to complete the coop campaign, feel free to ask me, though don't be angry if I remember every puzzle perfectly. My memory is funky like that!

Kunoichi

Ahem.

Just something to think about. ^^

Jeramiahh

There've been rumors the next Half-Life game will feature Co-op... maybe you've just stumbled on it? Combo Portal Gun and Gravity Gun to pull off all sorts of puzzles and sneaky kills combos.

Plus, silent protagonist love interests. Awwww.

Le RandomBloke

A mate linked this to me
, thought you space core enthusiasts would enjoy it.
Video:

Callie Del Noire

Contains solutions to some single player rooms.

Shjade

Zero Punctuation does Portal 2

Note, I don't recall it doing anything particularly overt as spoilers go, but if you're paranoid-worried about them, might want to hold off on the fun video until you've played it.
◕/◕'s