News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Serenity based game

Started by CaptainErotica, February 28, 2007, 01:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblinmoon

I've thought about it... and tempting as it is, I think I'll bow out for now.  Sounds like you've got plenty of folks...

Good luck!

Max

Ok, now, here is website that has some basics of character generation.  Take a look, and see if anything strikes your fancy.  Instead of the 54 points for attributes, you get 48, and 68 skill points (instead of the 72).

http://www.lanlizards.com/serenity/crew/bdhguide.shtml
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

RubySlippers

I was thinking a graduate of one of the NEW companion schools like the one in the Serenity movie. Young and maybe the daughter of that sadistic crime lord from the series. You know the gentleman with the liking of pain and a long revenge streak. Would give her an interesting background and could play with interesting traits. Memorable of course and guild companion to start...I can think of some neat approaches.

Max

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 23, 2007, 12:09:31 AM
I was thinking a graduate of one of the NEW companion schools like the one in the Serenity movie. Young and maybe the daughter of that sadistic crime lord from the series. You know the gentleman with the liking of pain and a long revenge streak. Would give her an interesting background and could play with interesting traits. Memorable of course and guild companion to start...I can think of some neat approaches.

A daughter of Niska?  Sounds like you might want Friends in Low Places. 

*shivers thinking of the family reunions.*

Ons and offs:

CaptainErotica

At least she'll be on our side. It would be more scarier if she decided to follow in Daddy's footsteps.

I'm almost odne with my character just trying to think up an good background for him.

RubySlippers

I'm in the planning stages sort of see about posting her by tommorrow.

Scary? Think about this the Guild is recruiting the likes of HER into the ranks they must have a devious plot of their own underway.  ;)

CaptainErotica

As long as my crew remains safe, and you pay your dues, you whore's can do what you please.

Elvi

Max, I'm not going to play this time, however, if you feel the need for some really evil and nasty baddies to come and torment everyone....well.......feel free to give me a shout.....*grins*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

CaptainErotica

*Puts Elvi's name down under his  Friends in low Places asset

RubySlippers

Here's what I have so far.

Name: Katrina Niska

Concept: Companion from the "Border"

TRAITS
-Assets: Allure (major), Friends in High Places (minor), Friends in Low Places (minor), Good Name (minor), Registered Companion (minor).
-Complications: Credo: pacifist (major), Loyal: The Guild (minor), Loyal:  Adelei Niska, father (minor), Memorable (minor), Prejudice: Guild Members from Core Alliance Worlds (minor).

ATTRIBUTES
-Agility (d6)
-Strength (d6)
-Vitality (d6)
-Alertness (d10)
-Intelligence (d10)
-Willpower (d10)

SKILLS
-Artistry (d4)
-Athletics (d4)
-Craft (d4)
-Discipline (d6)
-Influence (d6)- Conversation (d8), Counseling (d8), Persuasion (d8), Seduction (d8)
-Knowledge (d4)
-Mechanical Engineering (d2)
-Medical Expertise (d2)
-Perception (d6)
-Performance (d4)
-Pilot (d6)
-Planetary Vehicles (d4)
-Survival (d2)
-Technical Engineering (d2)

GEAR

CREDITS AVAILABLE

BACKSTORY:

Not much to say was born the legitimate daughter one of four children the others older and boys to the crime lord Adelei Niska and his wife Marie Niska, who was brutally killed by her father after she tried to leave him for another man. Always a devoted daughter he pulled many strings to get her into the new academy in the border worlds first she reminds him so much of the mother and second she never had a taste for the business like her borthers- That and after seeing men beat the crap out of in a mugging when younger and refusing to hurt them back he figured out she meant her beliefs- in a way her father respected that after all her mother was a most gentle creature in her way. Not that he ever admited this to her he was always a bit cold not in a bad way just kept her care for her to himself.

Adelei Niska Jr. (eldest as as cruel and brilliant), Nathan Niska and Nikolae Niska the youngest. Its not bad she is no coward just non-violent and with great promise as one of the new breed of Companions. She did well in the shortened training program and learned the basics just not near one of the elite ones from the core worlds. But with only half the time to train corners had to be cut. Belongs to the new Companion House Horizon made up of new Companions but from the border region so they have regional knowledge and connections. Deemed by inferior upstarts by the grand houses of the verse' and poorly trained she has no respect from most of the old guard- not that she cares. One thing that sets her apart from the grand ladies is business she understands sex is a source of power, of connections and is less picky than her core world counterparts like her teacher Inara. A weapon her kind intend to wield with precise talent.

Notes: I figure an undertrained new Companion from the sticks would have less respect from her peers of the proper Guild members like Inara. She will know what happened to her mother and although not like it figure it was expected and not faulting her father. She has three sadistic crime minded older brothers she is the apple of the fathers eye and a loyal daughter save for religious grounds is utterly non-violent. I gave her a generally broad education but none really specialized as she just graduated. Among her advantages she is very beautiful and has that special something if in the core systems to a fine family might have gone to a top Companion School like Inara. Has her fathers name isn't HERS so is a minor asset but in the border areas a crime bosses name does carry value at his level. Has contacts all over. Drawbacks is she will not fight and has no interest in it, is memorable, is loyal to her Guild and father so might have some interesting plot developments and has as a "border" trained Companion is rather disrespected by proper Companions that went to the very long traditional schools. Her dislike for them and their methods are also there she respects The Guild not the haughty ladies that look down on her kind. Her father will know of her tendencies to be non-violent after he saw her take a beating rather than fight back pretty much convinced him she's not a coward just different from him. Like her gentle mother. But an example if a Reaver was going to kill a friend she likely would throw herself in the way so is firm in her beliefs. But Companions have other weapons and value after all than fighting.  ;)

shadowheart

Still in this time.   

Working on my medic.  Max, question .. I -do- have a PDF of the rules .. but what do you suggest regarding Medical Expertise for a combat medic .. I am reading and rereading it .. PM me if you want to of course.

Max

Am somewhat brainfried at the moment, so take the following answers with a grain of salt. 

Robguy:  Okay, if you need any help, let me know.

Elvi:  I know your aversion to statted games.  So it is okay.  And I might just take you up on that offer.

RubySlippers:  Several things, just to think about.  One, maybe a D2 in Linguistics?  I think Niska can speak something (not sure what) in addition to English and Chinese?  You don't have to, just tossing out an idea.  Two, I do seem to recall Niska saying that he was getting an earful from his wife at dinner about torturing one of her cousins.  I could be wrong about that, will have to go back and watch.  Maybe he remarried?  Three, At this point in time, Inara is not teaching, she is still on the Serenity.  The campaign will be taking place at the same time as the Firefly series.

shadowoftheheart:  Would say Surgery.  Looked at Simon, and that was one he had.  Maybe General Practice.  Does either of those work?

Ons and offs:

RubySlippers

That's why its a draft. lol

I will revise.

Mindhazingsquid

How is this?

Kara Yuen
Mechanic

Traits
Assets
Mechanical Empathy (minor)
Cortex Spectre (major)
Complications
Memorable (minor)
     her small anacronisms make her stand out.  Sometimes they're pronounced sometimes not so much.  Also the fact she doesn't know Chinese
Deadly Enemy (minor)
     United Reclamation liked having her in their R&D devision and would very much like to have her back.
Scrawny (minor)
Loyal (Minor)
     She still feels loyal to her fellow colonists and hopes one day to save them.  Most of them were the best of the best for their time so they would have likely ended up in a situation similar to her own, being pressed into service.

Attributes
Agility: D10
Strength: d6
Vitality: D6
Alertness: D8
Intelligence: D12
Willpower: D8
Life: 14
Initiative: D12+D4

Skills
Mechanical Engineering: D6
     Repairs: D12+D2
     Maintenance: D12+D2
Technical Engineering: D6
     Repairs: D12
     Make/Alter Device: D12
Unarmed Combat: D6
     Tai Chi: D12
Athletics: D6
Covert: D6
     Open Locks: D10
     Disable Device: D10
     Sabotage: D10

1)  What did your character do during the War?  Which side was he or she on, if any?  Was it voluntary, or were they drafted?  Did you lose anyone you cared about?
Mostly she slept in suspended animation as her colony ship  made it's way through the solar system.  She did have a nice dream at one point about robots and saving the world (earth).

2)  What are you hobbies?  How do you pass the time away?
Since she was a child she always had a knack for gadgets.  She loves to tinker.  That and practice Tai chi.

3)  What kind of first impression do you think you make?
At first glance she appears to be a skinny girl.  She has only very basic understanding of the 'verse and the past few hundred years.  While technically she is several hundred years old she's only just turned thirty both physically and mentally.

4)  Where were you born?  How did you wind up on Persephone?
She was born on Earth!  Anchorage, Alaska to be exact.  When she graduated from school, with her technological aptitude she was a shoe-in at MIT where she began a course of robotics engineering.  After two years she heard about a colony expedition.  She applied and was accepted considering she was at her prime and was passing her classes with flying colours.
On the ship personal cargo was limited.  She took family pictures and some texts specially made on plastic pages for longevity.  The destination a sun called HD 28185.  While it hasn't technically got an earth-like planet it does have a planet with an earth-like moon.  The planet itself was a water-based jovian planet.
Due to the distance of the planet the colony ship was part cryogenic and part generational.  The plan was to have several crews that would take turns in suspended animation that would also bear children.  However there was a problem.
It is uncertain how it happend but the first crew was lost, leaving the ship with only it's computer guidance and no way to repair any problems.  When it was next found it was several hundred years later.  Most of the people, colonists and crew alike, did not make the trip.  It had been sucked into a desintigrating orbit around an uninhabitable planet with no value.  It was only found by chance by a Unified Reclamation contract, salvage ship.
The ship saved who they could and salvaged what they could and brought it to UR.  While she was being brought up to date.  While being brought to speed she began playing around with things she found.  Taking apart and putting back together anything she found.  After finding some of the things she had tinkered with and finding some of them working better than before she was dumped into the UR research devision and basicly blackmailed into working for them.
After working for them for several years she devised a plan to escape.  Once she got out her small size allowed her to stow away on various ships until she was caught.
Deciding she was far enough away from UR and the allience she decided to let the ships know that she was there and join as a crew.

5)  Describe your quarters?  Are there pictures or other mementos on the walls, desk, whatever?  If so, what?  Also, where do you hide any valuables or illegal pieces of equipment from prying eyes.
At first her room looks like chaos.  Every surface, including her cot, is covered in gadgets, tools and doodads.  However on closer inspection the floor is completely bare leaving room on the floor to do things.  She has a few pictures in her room.  Pictures of her family and her closest friend all

Other stuff
While she's been in present day Kara's realised that things tend to have a chinese flavour.  To atleast appear to fit in she's taken on the family name Yuen.  It was the first chinese name that came to her mind.  In reality she's only ever learned english and a few words here and there of other languages.  People from UR and on her colony ship are the only people who would know her real name of Henderson.
Dispite being thirty her petite physique makes her look younger.  It also lets her hide in tight places which is how she stowed away.  Her clothes are mostly too large and all she owns are the few pictures, an MP3 player and some CDs with some of her texts (probably the last of such things outside a museum).  The hardcopy texts were ones relevent to setting up and maintaining the colony and were lost when they ship burned up.
She has plain brown hair, which she keeps back out of her face with a pair of polerizing goggles she normally keeps on her forhead but can wear to protect her eyes while welding or from bright sun or anything else.  Her boots are big and clompy and she doesn't bother lacing them since they're several sizes too large anyway.  Her shirt is green and she keeps the sleeves rolled up around her elbows.  Her pants she keeps tied with a bit of cord for a belt since they're too big and keeps the hems rolled up as well.
She's rather sensitive about her stature and isn't too sure about her age.  She hopes to find and liberate her co-colonists but doesn't know how exactly to go about doing it and is still a little paranoid about admiting who she is to anyone.  To get on the ship she gave only the smallest amount of information she had to.

Equipment
Lockpicks (mechanical and electronic)
Lockpicks were made and use to escape UR facility and access the ships she stowed away on.
MP3 player
Has 1023 songs and has been adapted to use more modern power cells.  Warenty expired several hundred years ago.
Personal photos of her family and friends
Still in good condition.  They were kept in a sealed container which she wasn't able to keep.
Compact Disks
Kept in the same container as the photos.  They contain advanced mechanical and electronic engineering texts and some personal videos.  Not compatible with modern data disks
Basic Toolkit
Stolen from UR facility when she escaped
Polerizing goggles
She is never, ever without her goggles.  They tint depending on the light level, the brighter the light the darker the tint.  They're mostly for welding but they work well in bright sunlight as well.  She some times wears them around her neck or on her forehead.
Random trinkets she hoped were worth money
Things she picked up and stoll.  Small things that she could fit in her pockets.

RubySlippers

Name: Katrina Niska

Concept: Companion from the "Border"

TRAITS
-Assets: Allure (major), Friends in High Places (minor), Friends in Low Places (minor), Good Name (minor), Registered Companion (minor).
-Complications: Credo: pacifist (major), Loyal: The Guild (minor), Loyal:  Adelei Niska, father (minor), Memorable (minor), Prejudice: Guild Members from Core Alliance Worlds (minor).

ATTRIBUTES
-Agility (d6)
-Strength (d6)
-Vitality (d6)
-Alertness (d10)
-Intelligence (d10)
-Willpower (d10)

SKILLS
-Artistry (d4)
-Athletics (d4)
-Craft (d4)
-Discipline (d6)
-Influence (d6)- Conversation (d8), Counseling (d8), Persuasion (d8), Seduction (d8)
-Knowledge (d4)
-Linguistics (d2)
-Mechanical Engineering (d2)
-Medical Expertise (d2)
-Perception (d6)
-Performance (d4)
-Pilot (d6)
-Planetary Vehicles (d2)
-Survival (d2)
-Technical Engineering (d2)

GEAR

CREDITS AVAILABLE

BACKSTORY:

Not much to say was born the legitimate daughter one of four children the others older and boys to the crime lord Adelei Niska and his wife Marie Niska. Always a devoted daughter he pulled many strings to get her into the new academy in the border worlds first she reminds him so much of the mother and second she never had a taste for the business like her brothers- That and after seeing men beat the crap out of in a mugging when younger and refusing to hurt them back he figured out she meant her beliefs- in a way her father respected that after all her mother was a most gentle creature in her way. Of course the unfortunate attackers found out to late WHO her father was when he sent them on a one way shuttle into Reaver Space with a signal beacon up loud. Not that he ever admited this to her he was always a bit cold not in a bad way just kept her care for her to himself, but she is the one child he can utterly trust a rare thing indeed.

Adelei Niska Jr. (eldest as as cruel and brilliant), Nathan Niska and Nikolae Niska the youngest. Its not bad she is no coward just non-violent and with great promise as one of the new breed of Companions. She did well in the shortened training program and learned the basics just not near one of the elite ones from the core worlds. But with only half the time to train corners had to be cut. She belongs to the new Companion House Horizon made up of new Companions but from the border region so they have regional knowledge and connections. Deemed by inferior upstarts by the grand houses of the verse' and poorly trained in comparison she has no respect from most of the old guard- not that she cares. One thing that sets her apart from the grand ladies is business she understands sex is a source of power, of connections and is less picky than her core world counterparts like Inara. A weapon her kind intend to wield with precise talent. But she has much to learn.

RubySlippers

I'm still interested in this game.

RubySlippers

Hello anyone still interested in this it looked so promising I have my character kind of worked out above- I would like to play her?  :(

Mindhazingsquid

Me too, I got my character made before you even, hah hah