What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

I'm just going Two Hander + Reaver for my Warrior.

I'll leave the tanking to Aveline, since even the developers have said she's the best tank in the game. (She was also in  my party from the very beginning to the end.)

Also, you know what I find funny? I couldn't stand Final Fantasy XII at all, I hated the new battle system (That was my largest complaint)

and yet....Dragon Age 2 uses basically the same system, and I love it. I mean, what the hell is up with that? xD

Hemingway

Yeah, I use Aveline, too. I mean, she gets unique skills, so ... why not?

Speaking of Aveline, I just did her little quest - The Long Road. I have to say, whoever wrote these characters made them really interesting. I was concerned by the lack of conversations, not being able to have them when I wanted ... but this system really works. While I won't say they genuinely feel like independent characters ( considering they always tag along when I want ), they certainly seem a lot more like it than in DA:O or Mass Effect. Or any other game I know of.

Wolfy

Why don't they seem like individual Characters? For each one you can think of a reason WHY they are tagging along. (Spoilers for who your party members are!)

SPOILERS! For the Love of god, Highlight if you want to read! D:

Aveline because she wants to protect Hawke, and not let a certain event in her past happen again.
Varrick because he wants another story to tell, and fortune to find.
Fenris because he can find his former master much easier than just waiting for him to come back to a mansion that he probably already knows Fenris is at anyway
Isabella because she loves adventure
Merril because she loves to discover new things
Anders because he wants to help and make the world better.
Carver/Bethany because they are your siblings.
Sebastion because he of course wants to help as well.

SPOILERS END HERE, So Stop looking for a hidden message! D:
See? They all have a reason. :P

I Said stop it, damn it.

Hemingway

Wolfy, spoiler tags! I know all the names, but not the characters. I'm not reading that!

Not an actual spoiler:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You know you can make actual spoiler tags, right? ; p

Inkidu

Who is your least favorite character so far? Favorite?

I'd have to say Fenris is my least favorite. Maybe because I just don't like brooders. Merril is my favorite. She's got a dark side but is so adorably adorable.

Isabela is also absurdly... tan... and by tan I mean tan.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

So far, my party consists of Aveline, Merrill, Varric and Anders. I like all of them, but Merrill is probably my least favorite. Even she has her moments, though. The other three are all pretty great.

Edit: My life just changed. Possible spoilers concerning one of Varric's quests:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Varric CANNOT BE TRUSTED. He just lied to ME. Not Hawke, to ME. xD

The quest where you break into the house ... oh god, that's the best thing ever. I was about to complain that him single-handedly killing 40 guards was a bit unrealistic. Um. It was! I ... oh god, it's too much. xD

Inkidu

Maybe it's Merril's accent. I don't know. Isabela's and Avaline's banter is pretty good.

Hake does have his own ambient moments of speech that are pretty funny. The one about the Wounded Coast was priceless. "Massive head trauma bluff" I think it was.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Merrill's accent is ... weird. I can't place it at all. I have that a lot with Dragon Age, though. It was the same with Leliana, at times.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 04:37:27 PM
Merrill's accent is ... weird. I can't place it at all. I have that a lot with Dragon Age, though. It was the same with Leliana, at times.
As far as I'm willing to guess it's what happens when you mix Irish and French.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2011, 04:39:58 PM
As far as I'm willing to guess it's what happens when you mix Irish and French.

I would've guessed some English accent, that occasionally seems to ... slip. You might be right, though.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 04:45:15 PM
I would've guessed some English accent, that occasionally seems to ... slip. You might be right, though.
I kind of don't like Anders anymore either. He just seems whiny now. In Awakening he had some really good lines.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2011, 04:51:08 PM
I kind of don't like Anders anymore either. He just seems whiny now. In Awakening he had some really good lines.

I like Anders. But ... he likes me more. If you know what I mean.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 05:03:09 PM
I like Anders. But ... he likes me more. If you know what I mean.
That was uncomfortable, but people no longer disapprove they form a rivalry. So... I get to do whatever I want ;P

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2011, 05:06:32 PM
That was uncomfortable, but people no longer disapprove they form a rivalry. So... I get to do whatever I want ;P

I don't see what the big difference is, other than them getting bonuses either way. But maybe that's the point.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 05:13:21 PM
I don't see what the big difference is, other than them getting bonuses either way. But maybe that's the point.
That is the point. It adds virtuosity. The developers thought (rightly so) that the bonuses were one sided, and people weren't playing their characters like they wanted too. They were tailoring the game to the way they needed it to be, and not to how they wanted to play. Now I don't think you can have a rivalry romance, but that would neat.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2011, 05:45:54 PM
That is the point. It adds virtuosity. The developers thought (rightly so) that the bonuses were one sided, and people weren't playing their characters like they wanted too. They were tailoring the game to the way they needed it to be, and not to how they wanted to play. Now I don't think you can have a rivalry romance, but that would neat.

The same occured to me. Rivalry romance with Isabela? Just think about it ...

Still. What I mean is ... whenever I lose points, ( i.e. they get closer to rival ), I feel like it's a bad thing, not something that's ... you know, just a matter of personal preference.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 06:12:40 PM
The same occured to me. Rivalry romance with Isabela? Just think about it ...

Still. What I mean is ... whenever I lose points, ( i.e. they get closer to rival ), I feel like it's a bad thing, not something that's ... you know, just a matter of personal preference.

Let me put it this way.

When you have an argument/disagreement with someone over something important to you (Something that goes against your morals or what you believe to be right) do you feel like it's a bad thing that you stuck to what you believe in rather than agreeing with them?

Sabby

The gay/camp Elf at the Blooming Rose is just yum <3 I would discuss guy problems with him any day... and we would throw pillows at each other. And go buy clothes, And I'd compare my eyes to his and get sad and he'd hug me all ups xD

But yeah, played a bit more, and now I'm certain theres some gayness in Varric...

1. Wears his overcoat unzipped to expose his chest.
2. Clean shaven (He's a DWARF!)
3. Golden necklace, two earrings.
4. Names his crossbow after and treats like a woman.

All of those things wouldn't really mean much on their own if it weren't for...

5. The way he treats other women.

When you see a big manly man giving girls pet names in any other fashion then derogatory, warning bells go off. When he starts giving gal talk and pep speeches, in the immortal words of Family Guy, "You've got a gay!"

Hemingway

Is it just me, or are assassins insanely overpowered? I mean, they deal a lot of damage, especially from stealth ( which is annoying enough to begin with ), but they also take heaps of damage. You'd think they'd be at least somewhat squishy.

Nothing my Reaver + Haste can't take care of, but still.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 07:37:44 PM
Is it just me, or are assassins insanely overpowered? I mean, they deal a lot of damage, especially from stealth ( which is annoying enough to begin with ), but they also take heaps of damage. You'd think they'd be at least somewhat squishy.

Nothing my Reaver + Haste can't take care of, but still.
It sure seems that way, which is okay because I can pommel spam them into oblivion, but it seems like Dragon Age 2 throws a lot more baddies your way. Sure some of them are the low rank one hit die guys, but when you fight an abomination, a rage demon, and then they smash you with a revnant. That's a little cheapish. Or the though shades and then a rage and desire demon.

My favorite instance. Small cave conversation with four templars max. Then I have to actually fight fifteen. Dude...

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2011, 07:47:26 PM
It sure seems that way, which is okay because I can pommel spam them into oblivion, but it seems like Dragon Age 2 throws a lot more baddies your way. Sure some of them are the low rank one hit die guys, but when you fight an abomination, a rage demon, and then they smash you with a revnant. That's a little cheapish. Or the though shades and then a rage and desire demon.

My favorite instance. Small cave conversation with four templars max. Then I have to actually fight fifteen. Dude...

I did that, too. I'm assuming it was the same place. It was ... annoying, but nothing I couldn't handle after a few tries ( playing on Hard ). The game does seem to love throwing new people at you, sometimes from out of nowhere. It is cool when thugs jump from rooftops, but when they appear out of nowhere, I just wonder why.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 08:18:16 PM
I did that, too. I'm assuming it was the same place. It was ... annoying, but nothing I couldn't handle after a few tries ( playing on Hard ). The game does seem to love throwing new people at you, sometimes from out of nowhere. It is cool when thugs jump from rooftops, but when they appear out of nowhere, I just wonder why.
I don't play Dragon Age on hard. I only played Origins on casual. But I had the console version so tactics out the window. Two I play on normal but I've had to bump it down to casual mid fight for some really cheap ones.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2011, 08:28:37 PM
I don't play Dragon Age on hard. I only played Origins on casual. But I had the console version so tactics out the window. Two I play on normal but I've had to bump it down to casual mid fight for some really cheap ones.

It would be easier if the AI wasn't occasionally extremely dumb, but ... I don't know if it's my stats or equipment or whatever, but enemies are really, really weak. With the exception of some cheap fights.

Anyway, just did some more quests, and ... well, this game reminds me of Fable 2. Not just because it takes place over a long period of time, but how the story is centered around a character, rather than all the events he's involved in. I approve. I approve very much.

Edit: Beautiful. I've been waiting for the last few companions to appear, with no luck. I assumed this was just because the story hadn't advanced far enough. I finally looked it up, and ... nope, that's not it. Guess it's time to restart. Oh, well, I've only been playing for 17 hours, it's no big deal.

*RAGE.*

Well, on the bright side, I actually want to play a mage, so it's not that big of a loss. Or, well ... I'm still upset.

Brandon

Quote from: Lirliel on March 11, 2011, 12:07:41 PM
Yes Harley is definitely crush worthy, Poison Ivy... is disappointing at best. Was expecting something more.. I dunno.. glamorous. Then again might have been me getting my hopes up.

Also Bats looks great.. would definitely.. want some 'play' time with him. Scarecrow's outfit looks truly menacing as well, I do not want him showing up in my dreams.. BRRRRR.....

I agree, Ivy just looks strange, not beautiful in that creepy menacing way which is supposed to be her thing. I prefer the old animated series Ivy who looked normal for the most part but still had her mental command over plants and still had her brain (I mean she was a scientist, seems like she could put that to use in AA). Heck when that episode of her starting up a spa to turn people who had harmed mother nature into trees (found in horrific shock positions mind you) I thought she was one of the coolest villains ever, someone I could really enjoy hating but not in AA. Shes just kind of "hey Im a flashy supervillain, come get me!"

I would totally love some playtime with Harley though, I love the voice actor and the general mystique of the character

I also agree with Batman and scarecrow, they look awesome. Scarecrow especially with his needle claw setup. Killer croc looked awesome too but I wish they would have done more with him.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy