A Writing Challenge.

Started by RegularRaskolnikov, July 01, 2010, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramael

Quote from: bradten on July 04, 2010, 10:48:08 AM
Any woman can be naked if you know the right things to say. However, "I am God," may not be a good start.

Anyway, this presents a new problem. Seems to me like the Gods would battle it out for as long as it took for everyone to say, "You know what, we'll go with it." If time can be changed in...er...real-time, it seems like the timeline of human history would be set from the get-go and it would never seem, to humans, that there was any God. It could be hundreds of centuries before the Gods figured things out (or maybe the blink of an eye), but war determines who's left, not who's right. Somebody will, eventually, win and set the timeline as they wish it to be.

Yeah, I'm with this for clarification purposes. Simply going "everything happens all at once" will be a big drain on enjoyability. "There is a great war. There was a great war." Bang. There goes the RP fun of the war itself.

But, Chrystal, fair play, you got me earlier. I misunderstood what you meant by "coming first"...although strictly speaking, if I haven't created time yet, the phrase is irrelevant from its conception, no?  :P

...have we come closer to any solid conclusions on what the RP will entail, yet?!

Chrystal

Quote from: Ramael on July 04, 2010, 11:02:44 AM
Yeah, I'm with this for clarification purposes. Simply going "everything happens all at once" will be a big drain on enjoyability. "There is a great war. There was a great war." Bang. There goes the RP fun of the war itself.

But, Chrystal, fair play, you got me earlier. I misunderstood what you meant by "coming first"...although strictly speaking, if I haven't created time yet, the phrase is irrelevant from its conception, no?  :P

...have we come closer to any solid conclusions on what the RP will entail, yet?!

Exactly...!

I think that the phrase "The gods play dice with the lives of men, for their own amusement" is the relevant concept here.

Basically we are forming our own pantheon.

Oh I agree completely that the "everything happens at once" thing I proposed is a total non-starter in terms of RP. But at the same time we should not totally discount it. What I mean is that as gods, for our own entertainment, we don't let everything happen at once. We give our creations free will, for the purpose of entertaining us with the idiotic mistakes they make. But the idea of omnipotence remains as a threat hanging over the whole of creation.

Face it, this is effectively the Christian message: they believe their god has the power to end creation at any time he sees fit, and has the power to resurrect everyone who has ever lived and either punish them or reward them according to his private whim! So why doesn't he? Well, either he can't and the Christians are all deluding themselves, or he doesn't want to for whatever reason!

I think that would make an interesting premise too... that at any time any of us could simply pull the plug on what has been created and start it over, but we choose not to because to do so would be pointless!

I think the idea of gods with some restraint is rather what most pantheons are about...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Ramael

Or imperfect gods, which I <3. All those in the Greek pantheon, with their fuckups and their humurously mortal trappings, desires and mistakes.

I think we are oscillating around the idea of mortals as well...let's face it, they are going to be a big part of what we're going to be interacting through/with.

And although, being gods, we could create our own solar systems, universes...for the sake of RP, would it be better to all be interacting over one planet, at least to begin with? Or am I dumbing this down now?

ChaoticSky

QuoteI'm sure rivalries will develop over time. Everyone here seems to be trying to AGREE on an approach when I personally think it will be much more fun if the conflicts arise from "I want it done this way, but He's doing it this way. I think I'll try and undo everything that he's doing."

i once read a philosophical piece that described existence as a dialogue, given that we are taking the roles of Powers That Be, and are starting prior to the creation of the universe, or universes... one could make the case that the Roleplay has already begun. That we, here, in this supposedly OOC topic, have already begun; are are... basically, arguing the laws of existence right now.

so, on that note, i vote for either continuing this discussion in a IC topic, or asking a mod to move this entire thread to a IC board >_>

Ramael

Continuing as IC topic ftw.

Subtle character hints can be placed in dialogue. Personality shaped at the same time as the world is.

I like it.

Chrystal

Agreed.... :D

We are, in effect, already RPing!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Insight

If this is to be the case, then we are well on our way.

It seems as though we have all agreed to create some kind of a universe upon which their shall be some form of life. Therefore, I propose the following:

We create a substance called matter. Matter is defined as a substance by whose dissipation results in an amount of energy given by the amount of matter times the maximum possible velocity attainable before reversing the dimension of space-time. We must then create anti-matter. Anti-matter is defined as matter and acts the same except when they meet. When matter and anti-matter meet, they cancel out into an amount of energy given by the amount of matter interacting.

Finally, I propose we create a ball of one part anti-matter and two parts matter. These substances will annihilate and the resulting explosion will create a universe.

This universe will be a blank canvas, if you will. Laws of physics have not been set yet, so it may be wise to pause time at the outset of this explosion and decide whether we want to maintain the laws of physics we have on Earth.

Ideas:

The force menu - Gravity, Strong and Weak nuclear forces and the electromagnetic force. Should we add a fifth force - ourselves? Do we keep the forces we already have? What about their respective strengths?
Resulting masses - Will our worshippers live on a planet such as Earth? They could really exist anywhere in our new universe.
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Chrystal

Why?

I propose we create the whole thing, without recourse to any "big bang" stuff. Let's create it stages, do it in a totally illogical and random sequence,  and then back-date the whole thing so that the poor saps who inhabit it get totally confused about what happened.

And why have laws of physics? Why not have suggestions of physics? Wouldn't it be much more fun if pigs could fly? But no, seriously, I think we should have, not laws, but "regulations" of physics. Sure, they apply to most people, but some people are allowed to break them.

On the other paw, we need to have laws of magic!

And why have gravity? I say we should create a single, flat world with a big blue dome over the top of it to keep the air in. Then we tell people it's a sphere and see what happens!

*Chrystal manifests herself into the nothingness where the gods are holding conference as a large naked black feline, or what will, eventually be recognised as such when she gets around to creating felines. She manifests a comfortable chair and sits in it, wrapping her tail around her waist, purring softly.*

Ramael

*Chuckles*

I see we have our deity of thought and logic, the Apollo in this pantheon, and on the other hand; our deity of chaos and emotion, the Dionysus(ene?) in this pantheon.

I love it. I request that neither of you alter your views in the slightest. Will make for great tension/relationships.

I will jovially bounce from one to the other, sampling both theories as if they were recipes to be used in the cooking of a gargantuan feast - which, incidentally, I am working on, and I will lay the result of said feast out on a table for the entire pantheon to enjoy.

*Grins and settles back, watching the two closely, slowly manifesting as literal metaphors of what is being suggested*

ChaoticSky

your thinking of Eris, which as far as i know is the closest Greek equivalent of a Chaos god(ess). though as you would expect of the great philosophers... she has very negative connotations. which Crystal doesnt reflect.

Di, as far as i recall... was basically the god of party time.

but im just nit picking.

also, Crystal, having 'regulations' of physics (logical laws for he universe to follow), which are not universally true, *and* laws of magic, whos purpose is, at their core, to facilitate the circumvention of the logical nature of the universe seems redundant, seems more eloquent to say that they are infact; two sides of the same coin. Or, scary though, to simply admit that the universe is (that is to say, any universe unfortunate enough to have us as creators) will be a very Illogical place.... in this case, god does indeed roll dice.

Ramael

Quote from: Darkling on July 04, 2010, 05:39:20 PM
your thinking of Eris, which as far as i know is the closest Greek equivalent of a Chaos god(ess). though as you would expect of the great philosophers... she has very negative connotations. which Crystal doesnt reflect.

Di, as far as i recall... was basically the god of party time.

but im just nit picking.

I think you are nit picking.

Not thinking of Eris, Crystal's post doesn't reflect Eris (or Strife) at all, which is why I said Dionysus.
See -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonian_and_Dionysian

Especially the table of character traits.

Also, he's the god of a lot more than just party time.

Anyway, I wasn't strictly naming the posters as either gods, just making reference to the difference in opinion, which seemed divided very similarly down the binary line of Apollonian and Dionysian.

Pandamonium

Hot damn. This is cool. I rather like it a lot. I haven't been on Elliquiy too long but I have seen a reoccurring pattern of the same general idea's for threads. This is quite different though. I'm completely in.

Insight

*Bradten manifests as a knight, complete with plate armor, a large broadsword and a shield.*

An illogical universe is one I cannot accurately predict. If an action does not produce a given reaction the same way every time, two timelines of the same events may carry two different outcomes. This is not a future I can predict, and therefore negates some of my powers.

Besides, how can my followers erect a temple to me if their marble is prone to suddenly disappearing?
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

RegularRaskolnikov

I have to remember not to go to sleep with you people around.

I agree that in a sense you guys are already RPing but nothing is actually happening. I propose that we actually start an IC thread for this roleplay if everybody feels ready. I'm curious to see how these theories will all play out in practice.
I simply did something that I was too stupid to realize I couldn't do.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79577.0
((ons and offs because I cannot make hide nor hair of this internet sorcery))

ChaoticSky

Quote from: RegularRaskolnikov on July 05, 2010, 12:58:55 AM

I agree that in a sense you guys are already RPing but nothing is actually happening. I propose that we actually start an IC thread for this roleplay if everybody feels ready. I'm curious to see how these theories will all play out in practice.
get to it! :P

Chrystal

Chrystal giggles. "Indeed. Let's manifest ourselves into an IC thread and get on with creating the universe. Reg is I suppose (Um you mind if I call you Reg?) the father of the gods, as it's his idea. So I guess he gets the ultimate power or whatever to call the thread into being in whatever way he sees fit...?

PeacethatPowerbrings

Now, I'm interested, creating universes, or even parts of universes is always up my alley.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

EmptyEternity

Quote from: RegularRaskolnikov on July 05, 2010, 12:58:55 AM

I concur, let's go get a dedicated thread going so we can get his show on the road! It might also be a good idea to create a OOC/idea dump thread as well.

Moonhare

This has caught my attention and I would love to be creative with this. ^_^

Ok, I'm game!

Chrystal

*looks around at the rapidly multiplying (or at the very least, rapidly adding) deities in this strange realm of nothingness. She shrugs* So is someone going to open a thread and post a link to it? Because believe me, if I do it, you guys are going to seriously regret it! *She cackles evilly.

Oh, and can I ask, oh "father of the gods" who's idea this all is... *just a touch of irony or possibly sarcasm in her voice there* Do we have to stay strictly IC in the IC thread? I mean, things like referring to it as a thread rather than a universe? The way I see it, (being a goddess of chaos and all) it is within my nature to be mildly disruptive of things in that way, breaking the "forth wall" and stuff, you know?

Ironwolf85

I'm in! this sounds awesome. I got my post too. where one created it another gave it form.
the shadows, the empty spaces, they burn, I want to reach out... there is nothing to hold... it hurts... wait there's somthing there. somthing new... I can feel it. it's just a blank glob, but it's there... I like it... holding onto it, it makes me feel... somthing. it's formless, shapeless. so am I.. I need form, somthing, gaaaaahhhhh, it feels... much better, I have form, I have features, my mind is more ordered, order out of chaos. maybe I can shape this glob of stuff, give it form, function, bring order out of created chaos. it's malible, soft in my hands, it's beautiful. create a few basic rules, somthing to build on.
I can't make up my mind... wait... that's not the way I wanted it. no. a force to erase mistakes would be nice, there we go I'll call it...Time I think such a silly word... maybe some other force to ballance Time... Space... two ways to measure things. I'm tired, but I don't wanna sleep. this thing is soft and now I've made it more stable. it cannot return to nothingness now.
soft fresh... can I make one of my own? too tired... maybe just a little thing to sleep on so I can stay close... I wanna stay close... maybe a force for that... make this thing stay close to that thing. do more later... too tired...

that sound good?
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

ChaoticSky

i am under the assumption that we will 3rd-person in the IC... or at leased, i dearly hope so!

Chrystal

I personally will be 3rd person, or my first person will be. My third person may well decide that she is first person. As for my second person, that's up to you!

Will someone please create the IC thread before I get terminally bored and create a universe full of naked anthro cat-girls...?

ChaoticSky

we will wait for RR, patience :P

Kevben Battleheart

This looks like something I could enjoy. As long as RR doesn't mind another person that is.
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.