Looking to start a multi-player 3.5 game.

Started by LEHayes, February 05, 2011, 11:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEHayes

I will base the game around one character.  This character will be the parties leader.  Other players joining the game will be at this character's behest.  They can seek out "friends", characters (s)he knows; "hirelings", character's she needs.  Other players, people she's not invited, joining the game will start as 1st level no matter what level (s)he currently has.

In addition I'm looking for a female player/author to play the female NPCs in this game.  I've never done this before, but I believe with such a vast source of role-players it must be possible. 

Sabriel

What sort of story are you hopping to tell ?

I imagine that the parties leader and the group would have some effect on this of course but is there anything in particular you where looking or hoping for ?

I am a fan and dedicated player of D&D in most aspects except it's most recent reincarnation :P

LEHayes

Just the exploits of the characters in the party.  The setting is a mining town that accidentally found the underdark.  It is a jump off village to a wilderness that contains ancient cities and towns that have been long abandoned.  overlayed upon this same landscape are long abandoned castles that the kingdom has all but forgotten, though they come from a much more recent period.  There are 8 walled towns and a single city at the heart of the empire.  This all takes place on an island continent whose world contains the diversity of Oerth, Faerun, and Ansalon.

Sabriel

Neat that sounds very interesting I think I could come up with a lot of ideas for that, although I am drawn more to certain ones with the leadership thing in mind. Usually I don't play such roles since I tend to let others have the fun and trouble that comes with that hehe, although I have done so more in other RP games Ive played.

Is there any particular character types or concepts you would prefer to see in such a role or not ? Perhaps some you think would not work. 

LEHayes

If you are not comfortable, in the leadership role, there's nothing wrong with giving away some of that role by "hiring" someone (another player) to fill that role, leaving you in control while leaving the "leading" to a more tactically oriented character.

In terms of the 3.5 system, multiclass characters will be gestalts with a 1500 point per level advancement.  no thoughts yet on tri-classed characters.

As for particular combinations: CG Elf fighter/mage, LG dwarf fighter/cleric, NG gnome illusionist/thief,  and 3 Humans to round out / fill gaps sounds like a great combination; but that's me.  If I wanted to control a group, I'd play one of the humans and look for the others.  But, this is you're group; and, though I don't see elves as other than CG nor dwarves other than LG, you are free to put together your own team.

Sabriel

Oh I am comfortable in the role heh I am just not obsessed with being in control and I usually tend to try fill other gaps and just be there to support and guide if anything.  What you suggest is probably something id consider however anyway since a good leader really relies and plays on the ability of his team not just themselves.

QuoteIn terms of the 3.5 system, multiclass characters will be gestalts with a 1500 point per level advancement.  no thoughts yet on tri-classed characters.

You mean multiclass characters would basically be gestalt but require 1500 more exp per level ?

Id think I might do a human actually heh since I tend to like to play them and recently have been in my more exotic phases of playing races, well not really that exotic heh but well Elves a Goblin and a Psionic race. I am drawn to the idea of a Paladin perhaps a multiclassed one maybe depending on my concept but that might make an interesting leader for a party and one who would rather work with a regular trusted team than just random strangers all the time hehe, I think it would pose an interesting challenge and possibilities perhaps.

ulthakptah

What's this about gestalt, because I've been wanting to play an ninja/battle dancer. I don't mind being human in fact I like being human. That extra feat is mighty useful. Anyway I would like to play in this game. I could be a trusted member of the team, or some person you just hired on. It doesn't matter to me all that much.

Sabriel

I kinda like being human too  :P (Being one myself and the show of the same name ^.^)

I like playing humans too I always found since I started playing D&D it a neat challenge and fun and well there not so overlooked in 3rd-3.5 hehe.

It might be a good idea actually I think to know what interest there would be in group makeup so that I could perhaps come up with a concept of a leader to fit such a group.  I mean I know that she would be picking them but well I would never want to tell players what to play and am far more happy to work around what there is interest in and make my character fit that. That's part of the fun afterall and I could easily come up with and leader concept for any group I think hehe.  That's if anyone wanted me to be the leader of course :P

ulthakptah

I don't want to be the leader, so I don't see a reason why you shouldn't it. As for interests with my ninja character. I like my ninjas like ninjas. Quite, calculating, machines of awesome, like Kato from the Green Hornet. I suppose what would interest him in risking his life to go into the Underdark would be either riches, if he was just a extra sword you hired on, or honor, if he is a long term member of your team. In which case he would go to the ends of the world to protect his leader.

Mystic Mika

Well, if you are interested in another I would love to give it a shot. I am very familiar with all 3.5 and I would love to give it a shot.
The difference between saving the world and blowing it up is all in the toss of the dice.

LEHayes

Sabriel:
QuoteYou mean multiclass characters would basically be gestalt but require 1500 more exp per level ?
Why?  Why would you think I would set the experience requirement for a gestalt character at 250% of normal?

No Sabriel, gestalt characters are only 1500 multiplied by the current level not 2500.

QuoteIt might be a good idea actually I think to know what interest there would be in group makeup so that I could perhaps come up with a concept of a leader to fit such a group.  I mean I know that she would be picking them but well I would never want to tell players what to play and am far more happy to work around what there is interest in and make my character fit that. That's part of the fun after all and I could easily come up with and leader concept for any group I think hehe.  That's if anyone wanted me to be the leader of course

Think of it as looking for players who want to be a character you're looking for.  Players today are completely spoiled.  When I first started you played what you rolled.  Making a character you want came much later.  I'm not going to suggest going back to a random character generation (3d6 in order) of yesteryear; but, asking for a race class combination can't be out-of-the-question.  I know many players that ask, "what's needed?" when deciding their class and race for a game.

You should also feel comfortable taking it a step further, if you've got a group that works, and feel you're missing one aspect, you should feel free to make their membership conditional on their ability to get along.  I'm not suggesting that friction won't occur, but this is not a test to see if you can put up with disruptive characters.

ulthakptah:
QuoteI've been wanting to play an ninja/battle dancer.

A ninja (忍者) or shinobi (忍び) was a covert agent or mercenary of feudal Japan specializing in unorthodox arts of war. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, as well as open combat in certain situations. The ninja, using covert methods of waging war, were contrasted with the samurai, who had strict rules about honor and combat.

There is a group just for you.  See Scarlet Brotherhood

QuoteI like my ninjas like ninjas. Quite, calculating, machines of awesome, like Kato from the Green Hornet. I suppose what would interest him in risking his life to go into the Underdark would be either riches, if he was just a extra sword you hired on, or honor, if he is a long term member of your team.

First, Kato was no Ninja.  He was honorable.  Riches will interest anyone.  What will interest him (a member of the Brotherhood) is gathering information on the world and to report it to his masters.  I do see that there are other forms of monks, in the worlds I've previously named, but there are none closer to ninja than the brotherhood.  Once it's known that Diggertown is a path to the underdark, the brotherhood would show up.  But there are reasons for him to be in the vicinity.

Mystic Mika:
QuoteWell, if you are interested in another I would love to give it a shot. I am very familiar with all 3.5 and I would love to give it a shot.

Was this for me or Sabriel?  If this is for me, are you asking to start a separate group?  Possible, but if not, it should probably be directed to Sabriel.  This town is looking for a solution.  They need to find the murderer and have planned for several groups to arrive.

Sabriel

QuoteSabriel:

You mean multiclass characters would basically be gestalt but require 1500 more exp per level ?

Why?  Why would you think I would set the experience requirement for a gestalt character at 250% of normal?

No Sabriel, gestalt characters are only 1500 multiplied by the current level not 2500.

Hehe no I did not think you was setting it as 250% err I am not really sure what I thought Ive never really done gestalt before lol, Ive only browsed the rules for it briefly since it was never really a thing my group I used to play with would of been interested in.  I was curious if you meant that Gestalt characters would just need 1500 more xp at each level than a regular character I don't know why I thought that really I was just a bit puzzled as to how it works normally.

QuoteThink of it as looking for players who want to be a character you're looking for.  Players today are completely spoiled.  When I first started you played what you rolled.  Making a character you want came much later.  I'm not going to suggest going back to a random character generation (3d6 in order) of yesteryear; but, asking for a race class combination can't be out-of-the-question.  I know many players that ask, "what's needed?" when deciding their class and race for a game.

You should also feel comfortable taking it a step further, if you've got a group that works, and feel you're missing one aspect, you should feel free to make their membership conditional on their ability to get along.  I'm not suggesting that friction won't occur, but this is not a test to see if you can put up with disruptive characters

Hehe yeah Id agree having played the many additions they are sort of spoilt for choice now although some wonderful things have been lost. But the game has advanced and become a lot better. I can be picky I suppose I just don't like to be mean and exclude people because of a choice I could quite happly change and enjoy myself anyway.  I.E I would not play a certain class if it meant everyone else in the group could not play what they wanted.  Although I will quite happly say if I think a concept does not fit the group or is just a bit daft like a Necromancer for example or other evil person trying to pretend to be good :P

I actually really like this idea as it is always something I really think is important group makeup and well it making sense and working well because often games can die just because there is no real connection there with the group or awkward friction and such.  So I guess it's the next step to look for character ideas and form the group :)

I'm going to peek through my books see if I can come up with an interesting gestalt idea if that's what we are going with, I have a few ideas floating about my head which ill have to do some investigating for.

LEHayes

Quote from: Sabriel on February 06, 2011, 07:32:08 AM
Hehe no I did not think you was setting it as 250% err I am not really sure what I thought Ive never really done gestalt before lol, Ive only browsed the rules for it briefly since it was never really a thing my group I used to play with would of been interested in.  I was curious if you meant that Gestalt characters would just need 1500 more xp at each level than a regular character I don't know why I thought that really I was just a bit puzzled as to how it works normally.

I'm sorry, I do get a bit sarcastic.  I could have just said, "no, 500."

QuoteHehe yeah Id agree having played the many additions they are sort of spoiled for choice now although some wonderful things have been lost. But the game has advanced and become a lot better.

what have we lost?  the system has gotten better, but what have we lost?  I'd love to hear more.

QuoteI can be picky I suppose I just don't like to be mean and exclude people because of a choice I could quite happily change and enjoy myself anyway.  I would not play a certain class if it meant everyone else in the group could not play what they wanted.  Although I will quite happily say if I think a concept does not fit the group or is just a bit daft like a Necromancer for example or other evil person trying to pretend to be good :P

But, I'm open to the later.  not for a player that want's to keep that character in the group on a permanent basis.  But consider one that want's to play a ninja.  That is exactly the last example you said you'd not want (evil pretending to be good), to borrow a character concept from a potential player.  On the other hand, if you want a paladin in your group on a permanent basis, you need a LG party.  This will turn some away, but don't worry, there can be more than one group answering the call.

QuoteI actually really like this idea as it is always something I really think is important group makeup and well it making sense and working well because often games can die just because there is no real connection there with the group or awkward friction and such.  So I guess it's the next step to look for character ideas and form the group :)

Ok, that's the antithesis of designing the team you want.  First step is to decide who you are.  The next step will be to seek out characters that you want.  Think of it more like interviewing the players for a role.  They either want it or they don't.

QuoteI'm going to peek through my books see if I can come up with an interesting gestalt idea if that's what we are going with, I have a few ideas floating about my head which ill have to do some investigating for.

This is my game's "rules".  http://www.d20srd.org/  All alternates must be cleared through me individually.  There will be some things that differ from the general accepted procedures.  For example, spells will again require learning.

ulthakptah

Quote from: LEHayes on February 06, 2011, 06:29:29 AM
ulthakptah:
A ninja (忍者) or shinobi (忍び) was a covert agent or mercenary of feudal Japan specializing in unorthodox arts of war. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, as well as open combat in certain situations. The ninja, using covert methods of waging war, were contrasted with the samurai, who had strict rules about honor and combat.

There is a group just for you.  See Scarlet Brotherhood

First, Kato was no Ninja.  He was honorable.  Riches will interest anyone.  What will interest him (a member of the Brotherhood) is gathering information on the world and to report it to his masters.  I do see that there are other forms of monks, in the worlds I've previously named, but there are none closer to ninja than the brotherhood.  Once it's known that Diggertown is a path to the underdark, the brotherhood would show up.  But there are reasons for him to be in the vicinity.
I know Kato isn't a ninja. I was just saying I like his personality for a ninja. Since I was going for ninja/battle dancer (battle dancer is a cha based monk from Dragon Compendium) His figthing style would be a mix of Ninjutsu and Capoeira. He would still do the ninja things of espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, but in open combat the combination of his two fighting style will prove to be even more deadly. I don't really want to be evil, so the Scarlet Brotherhood isn't for me. It's a good suggestion, but I don't want to conflict with the party so much.

LEHayes

ulthakptah

Quote from: LEHayes on February 06, 2011, 11:34:38 AM
Dragon Compendium?
Yes, it's a 3.5 book. It has a couple articles from Dragon magazine as well as a handful of new races and classes.

Sabriel

OK so I am thinking of basically playing a Paladin/Knight or Paladin/Favoured Soul perhaps just plain Paladin I was a bit unsure of which class combo would fit with my characters concept as the both sort of lean well to different ideas I have about the character.  My idea for the character is basically that she will be a woman of noble cause and devoted to such seeing it as her mission in life to serve to protect and uphold the tenants of her God and Kingdom. I picture her as a sort of noble woman from a family who's past is smothered in duty to the Kingdom and God although she would be one of the rare few women of her line who have taken the path she has, as her female ancestors where mostly priests, clergy and courtesans. I did think that I could perhaps tie in her history and families past with both the kingdom you mention and perhaps the ruins you mentioned maybe she believes they are the remnants of some great kingdom of before that was lost to the world, she might feel that she has a purpose in discovering more about such or recreating the ideals of such a place of bettering the current kingdom and cutting away at any corruption and evil that threatens it and its people.  To this end I see that she would of gathered a party around herself perhaps those who where willing to help who shared her vision or who she just felt could help in her task, I think she would be more accepting to people and hope that she could influence them to good even if they may lead lives which she would disagree with.  Basically she would be open to giving people a chance to change and trying to lead them to a better path.  With her little group I think she would be seeking to protect, help and better the lot of others and spread the word and blessings of her god rooting out any threats that might endanger others and such.

I think she would be great fun for me to play and well I would play her in a very specific manner she would be open to offering people second chances to allowing people to speak, even perhaps the redemption and salvation of others she would not be one to ever charge blindly in and smite everything she perceived as wrong in her god or kingdoms name.  Perhaps that could be one reason she wished to be involved in the case hoping in part that she might find a glimmer of hope in the darkness of the underdark that there might be more than one solution and that matters could perhaps be handled with honor and truth. She would not be expecting denizens of the Underdark to be friendly of course but she be hoping for the possibilities of peace and a resolution that did not cost the lives of others or lead to wars.

Hehe I quite like the idea because it is easy for me to think of ways to involve her in things or have her give others a chance, not everyone she had in the group would have to be directly in line with her views since she might bring them with her to try show them a better way of life and hope that good deeds might change them.  Although obviously she would not be associating with the outright evil or those who clearly won't change, but she would accept a thief who knew know better and who she felt just needed guidance or the opportunity to better themselves and live a more honarable life. In part she would likely also surround herself with these kinds of people because she might feel that it was necessary to better understand them and have insight into such.

Well that's the idea I am focusing on working with at present I hope it appeals to you, let me know what you think and any suggestions are always welcome :)

LEHayes

Quote from: Sabriel on February 06, 2011, 02:32:12 PMPaladin/Knight or Paladin

My idea for the character is she will be a (human?) woman of noble birth, devoted to serve, to protect, and uphold the tenants of her God(?) and Cyrodiil.  I did think that I could perhaps tie in her history and families past with both the kingdom you mention and perhaps the ruins you mentioned. 

Maybe she believes they are the remnants of some great kingdom of before that was lost to the world, she might feel that she has a purpose in discovering more about such, or recreating the ideals of such a place of bettering the current kingdom and cutting away at any corruption and evil that threatens it and its people.

This is all good, but you must be very careful with this next one:

QuoteI think she would be more accepting to people and hope that she could influence them to good even if they may lead lives which she would disagree with.  Basically she would be open to giving people a chance to change and trying to lead them to a better path.  With her little group I think she would be seeking to protect, help and better the lot of others and spread the word and blessings of her god rooting out any threats that might endanger others and such.

why?  A paladin must remain lawful good; changing alignment either deliberately or inadvertently, looses his special powers. furthermore, while you may wish to reform all those around you, you realize that there are those that can't live up to your high standards.  If you become complacent and allow corruption in your ranks, you are slipping from those standards yourself.

QuoteI think she would be great fun for me to play; she would be open to offering people second chances, allowing people to speak, even perhaps working for the redemption and salvation of others.  She would not be one to ever charge blindly in and smite everything she perceived as wrong in her god or kingdoms name.  Perhaps that could be one reason she wished to be involved in the case hoping in part that she might find a glimmer of hope in the darkness of the underdark that there might be more than one solution and that matters could perhaps be handled with honor and truth.

This works with my plans as well.

QuoteI quite like the idea because it is easy for me to think of ways to involve her in things or have her give others a chance, not everyone she had in the group would have to be directly in line with her views since she might bring them with her to try show them a better way of life and hope that good deeds might change them.

again, be careful here.  it might work for this adventure, but unless you can swing them . . .

QuoteAlthough obviously she would not be associating with the outright evil or those who clearly won't change, but she would accept a thief who knew know better and who she felt just needed guidance or the opportunity to better themselves and live a more honorable life.

No!  There it is, you've stepped over the line and lost your powers.  Unless you see that they are making a concerted effort to change . . . then you are being complacent and will slip from good to neutral.  This is very borderline, but your belief in them is not sufficient to keep them around, unless they change (at least some) before what brought you together is over, keeping them around is condoning the unlawful/tainted actions.  This (the above) is borderline at best, but I believe it makes the point.

QuoteIn part she would likely also surround herself with these kinds of people because she might feel that it was necessary to better understand them and have insight into such.

now THIS is no longer borderline.

QuoteWell that's the idea I am focusing-on/working-with at present.  I hope it appeals to you, let me know what you think and any suggestions are always welcome :)

Look for my PM
Lon

Sabriel

Indeed she must remain lawful good but that is why she would be like this, she believes in law and good and believes it is the right way, she would not seek to change her ways to depart from those ethics but she might seek enlightenment and better understanding.  But she would want to change others to persuade those who sin and commit acts of evil to change, repent or face the consequences finally for that if they do not rather than simply ignoring and not having anything to do with them. That is not the acts of someone who is supposed to be a shinning example she would not let a person doing wrongs continue without intervening in some way.  She would realize others might never change of course but that would not stop her from trying to better the world and its people, afterall you want people to confirm to laws and ethics.  She would not really be looking at it from the point of view of us either from the outside viewing everybody as strict alignments (other than in the case of obvious evil which she could perceive) she would judge people by there acts and want to persuade and guide them to lead a better life, although she would never expect them to become high standards herself just to be good and keep within the law.  In essence this is one of her methods with dealing with corruption, since not every bad action she would perceive (example stealing) begins with utter iredeamble evil and she would try guide others away from things against law and a good nature, she would want to reconcile and redeem first before judging and punishing except in the most extreme cases.  She would not abide such things in her presence of course and would not be soft as such heh nor would she be adventuring with Necromancer's and the like but a Thief who has only ever stolen to survive and is seemingly good natured she would accept although she would be preaching to them to lead a better life and not put up with any naughty behavior :P  She would not expect them to become an exemplar of good or anything just a better person who abides by standards she would expect in others, not that she would expect of herself or other clergy and such.

I think you misunderstand her personality and nature a bit and assume some things about the people she would accept and such, I also think that rather than being complacent she is the totally opposite she is striving to make people lead better lives to stop acts which are wrong etc she is not accepting them she is acting to change and solve the problems, she can't do that if she just ignores people and does not try to lead them to a better path or punish them for there activities. 

To sum it up in a simple way she would not ignore a child who stole an apple, she would speak to them sternly but kindly and tell them it was wrong she make them apologise to whoever the apple was stolen from and then pay for the apple herself, not wanting a child to go hungry if such was the case.  And she would not forget about this act she would check on this child again and again making sure that they had learned the lesson and also that they where provided for paying for such herself if she had too.  And if this child grew up to be a good person and did not steal again she would gladly associate with them but if she ever witnessed or caught a whiff of dodgy behavior she be on the child's trail in an instance to sternly chastise and deal with the problem in whatever way the just and good law (not the evil and smelly laws which she would oppose) demanded.

:-)

Sabriel

Heya I just thought id leave a little note her with a question I had sort of been pondering, you mention the world containing the diversity of several settings, I been trying to figure out a good deity for my character to follow and wondered what the pantheon of the world would be, is it something specific or are you accepting all deity's or any from the settings you mentioned.

Thanks

:)

LEHayes

Good Question!

Yes, is the easy answer.  I will be accepting characters with gods from any of the settings.  However, until I get all the GMs I'm looking for, let's keep it to the ones you find here.

LEHayes

I'd like to start an OOC thread as the game.  I need 1000 posts before I can have the privileges on this board to run a game.

Trieste

All group games start out in the Small Groups sections of the board. Once you get 1000 in-character posts, the game's GM can request a sub-board in the appropriate Big Groups sections.