News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Actually great MMOs

Started by ElohimDune, November 12, 2014, 02:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElohimDune

I have often found myself on the net looking for a game world in which I can play and 'belong' in, of roleplaying and enjoying a good community. Which brings me to this topic of which people can share any that are current and actually good MMOs that they have found or seem worth keeping an eye on.

I only have found 3 that seem to be coming out that I find interesting and hope will be good in the future.

Warhammer: Eternal Crusade FPS MMO emphasizing squad gameplay and PVP.
Pathfinder Online a game which focuses on a theme park sandbox and deep player interaction. 
and Revival a newcomer to the scene making promises of live story telling and old school horror elements.

What about yourselves?

Valaesin

I haven't played in years, but I got the most since of immersion from Eve, bar none.  No matter where I was, I was always in contact with my peers, always watching for my corp's actions and never felt completely at ease.  It is a rough game, to be sure, but that added to it.  Now, that's not always the immersion people want (given its sci-fi and one of the more powerful alliances was the CFC, to be sure).

As for fantasy games, I think that depends more on your guild/friends that you play with.  I play WOW with a group of guys I've known since college.  Over the years we've grown our guild (we're still nothing special, just a large one) with other people we like playing with.  We're an RP heavy guild and take it to heart.  We tried moving to SWTOR (which I like as a game, but an immersive one) but it never worked out because of the sheer disconnect we all felt with the lore.  But more than anything, you just have to be able to filter out those who would break immersion in chats/etc.  There will always be some.

HairyHeretic

If you want squad based PvP gameplay now, check out Planetside 2. :)

SWTOR has some fantastic single player storylines, the Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior being my favourites.

City of Heroes was a fantastic MMO for RPGing in, and it will be interesting to see if its spiritual successors manage to recapture that.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 04, 2014, 04:14:38 PM
SWTOR has some fantastic single player storylines, the Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior being my favourites.

Trooper has to be the best, simply for the Zian Senate hearing scene:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I'll show you what we do. We kill traitors! *BLAM*

Right in front of a board reviewing your actions.

HairyHeretic

Funniest line I came across was in the Sith Warrior story

Your first mission on Dromund Kaas, you have to go pick up a prisoner frozen in carbonite. Two different groups turn up to try and take him, so you have a 3 way stand off. One of the options you get in talking to them is 'Intimidate'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDcMgRzT948

I damn near fell off my chair laughing at that one :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

I'm missing SWTOR now. It's full of greatness. I mean, just the fact that smugglers had an ability called 'Shoot First' should be a clue. Ahh, SWTOR was good times.

Nowadays I mostly play WoW. And Wildstar. Wildstar is great.

HairyHeretic

I really liked the intro trailers for Wildstar (particularly the Dominion) but right now I don't have free time enough for the games I do have, let alone starting more :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

I know the feeling. I'm still not max level in Wildstar, despite playing from launch. I certainly won't be raiding, or anything like that. It's got tons and tons of side content, though, and the RP is good. More than enough reason for me to play it.

Shjade

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 04, 2014, 07:34:42 PM

Your first mission on Dromund Kaas, you have to go pick up a prisoner frozen in carbonite. Two different groups turn up to try and take him, so you have a 3 way stand off. One of the options you get in talking to them is 'Intimidate'

Is it wrong that I was more amused by, among the subsequent reactions, the offhanded delivery of, "Yes, I heard that as well."
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Zekromnomnom

God, I miss City of Heroes so much.

Other than that, for me I just need real friends that play it. Like people I really know. So for me that was only ever CoH and Dungeons & Dragons Online which was crummy but I'm willing to do a LOT to get an Eberron fix.

RubySlippers

World of Tanks the MM is better than War Thunder.

Ethmerrai

Hello :)

I have experienced many MMOs from both the AAA side and the F2P side. If I was asked to recommend some MMO, here is my list:

Sci-Fi MMO RPG:

Star Wars The Old Republic:

I am myself huge fan of the SW universe and I must agree with HairyHeretic that SWTOR offers detailed storylines for every class you play. Some you might enjoy, some might seem a little too much of a pain.
For a RP player it can be awesome experience. Be aware tho, if you get in the hand of Imperial Inquisition, be prepared for the worst, starting with deep interogation :). When you reach the end of the main story line, you can always look for raids and dungeons, pvp both in space and on the land and enjoy roleplay.

For a Fantasy MMO:

Rift

I can recommend this game because it offers huge all sorts of activites from fighting, exploring dungeons to crafting, collecting artifacts, looking for pets and many games and celebrations during the year. There are also nice RP guilds.

For a FPS MMO:

Planetside 2

Immense battles with dozens of players and vehicles. And the way to win? Someone might not aggre but for me it is teamplay. Cover each others back and together you can achieve great victories.
Sad part on the other side is that to get some better gear or gear you might like more is real money expensive. You can get them through gameplay but it takes alot of time. Best way is to start as a subscriber and receive some "credits" over time.

kylie

I've enjoyed Rift because the scenery is often quite good.  I likes my exploring and wandering.

And in addition to having a range of things to do (for those who enjoy them), I like that you actually can play up to a pretty high level and get a fair amount done (at least, many things short of level 50+ instances) without min/max-ing your character to death.  I mean, if you don't care about being uber or whopping every dungeon in less than 10 minutes, it's fairly possible to at least combine and experiment with a few different skills.

I don't know so many of the others personally.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 04, 2014, 07:34:42 PM

Eating them is one thing but raw?! We got a real man here!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Starstrider

I've been going on WoW for several years, but the current expansion is feeling a bit stale and boring. It's devolving to the early days where everything was a grind, and I don't appreciate that.
As much as I dislike EA for its butchering of good game franchises, I have to admit that SWTOR has vastly improved since its early days, and I've been having a lot of fun with it lately. The fact that there's an ongoing event that gives you 12x the normal story mission XP definitely helps since you can just cut to the chase and plow through the class storylines without having to bother with the same old sidequests.

Drake Valentine

Tera - Was enjoyable, though my PC could barely handle it so eventually I stopped playing it. Was good for live action MMO, minus poor PC. T_T

FFXIV - Played for almost year, actually has a better storyline past their earlier online FF game which sucked in story and gameplay. FFXIV had more engaging battle which was entertaining, plus the job switching with one character and mixing of abilities left it with a lingering 'Tactics' feel to it. Unfortunately, had to drop it since I don't have much time to do online gaming and really don't want to waste money on subscription when I barely play it.

Looking forward to The Division and H1Z1, waiting on both of those to drop on console.

Oh and though it isn't technically an MMO, Project Zomboid is pretty good as well. If you can locate a proper server for playtime. It is still an in development game, but despite it's sprite-ish graphics, it is a fun over the head zombie survival game. Cheap as well and pretty 'realistic,' given you have to eat and drink, plus you can get sick from heat/cold and eventually power will go out and water, forcing you to scavenge. Though servers for online play are issue on that regard, I found few fresh servers, most I drop in everything was already looted. v.v It does have singleplayer feature, but that is half the fun.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Frelance

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 16, 2015, 07:07:22 PM
World of Tanks the MM is better than War Thunder.
I have not actually had a chance to play war thunder ground forces but from the issues with the lack of concealment when you turn the graphics to the lowest settings. I play WOT quite a bit and have a few permium tanks just for the hell of it for examples the British TOG II lol.

Another game I am getting into is path of exile which is a free to play game with graphics that are like an updated diablo II. I highly recommend it.
Evolution is an arms race

CuriousEyes

My last MMO before completely giving up on the genre was The Secret World.

It's definitely not as well polished as something like WoW or TOR, but it's got a good community of RPers and is definitely a different kind of 'verse than the traditional tropes of the genre.

Plus it's monetized differently than some of the other semi-F2P MMOs out there. The base game is just a purchase, and then expansions ("Issues") are able to be purchased with cash. If you do decide to sub, you get a monthly credit that makes the issues pretty much free, or can be used for other mostly-cosmetic cash shop items.

SinXAzgard21

Tera is good, no pay wall for content, cash shop is cosmetics mounts and gold or exp boots.  All of this can be bought in game from the player ran market and farming for gold is easy.  Not sure on end game.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Drake Valentine on May 09, 2015, 10:22:23 AM
Tera - Was enjoyable, though my PC could barely handle it so eventually I stopped playing it. Was good for live action MMO, minus poor PC. T_T

FFXIV - Played for almost year, actually has a better storyline past their earlier online FF game which sucked in story and gameplay. FFXIV had more engaging battle which was entertaining, plus the job switching with one character and mixing of abilities left it with a lingering 'Tactics' feel to it. Unfortunately, had to drop it since I don't have much time to do online gaming and really don't want to waste money on subscription when I barely play it.

Looking forward to The Division and H1Z1, waiting on both of those to drop on console.

Oh and though it isn't technically an MMO, Project Zomboid is pretty good as well. If you can locate a proper server for playtime. It is still an in development game, but despite it's sprite-ish graphics, it is a fun over the head zombie survival game. Cheap as well and pretty 'realistic,' given you have to eat and drink, plus you can get sick from heat/cold and eventually power will go out and water, forcing you to scavenge. Though servers for online play are issue on that regard, I found few fresh servers, most I drop in everything was already looted. v.v It does have singleplayer feature, but that is half the fun.

I'm looking forward to the division as well but I'm not pre-ordering.

Samael

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 18, 2015, 05:08:45 PM
Tera is good, no pay wall for content, cash shop is cosmetics mounts and gold or exp boots.  All of this can be bought in game from the player ran market and farming for gold is easy.  Not sure on end game.

I've been playing some Tera and definitely enjoyed it, especially since, currently, they have a double XP event running, which means you level pretty damn fast. You also get shiny new weapons every few levels for pretty much free, which helps making it more smoothly.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm unashamedly enjoying the visuals for the male characters in that game, i.e. Elves and Castanics, who both look rather hot.

The game itself is pretty standard, with tons of "kill X of Y" quests getting you up, and some terrible locations for your quests, but if you can ignore that, there is a lot to do. It's also true that the Item Shop is pretty much "Pay 2 look pretty" instead of "Pay 2 win", so there is that
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Dhi

I got a notice this morning that Blade & Soul is finally coming to the west this Chirstmas(-ish). This is one I'm excited to experience. The last game I can remember exploring kung fu fantasy was Jade Empire, ten years ago. Pretty much everything else out there is your standard European fantasy, or slight mixups on European fantasy such as making the elves into plant people. Blade & Soul draws on a rich mythology and aesthetic which is completely different.

Revelation

It's also going to be free to play, so it's not gonna be dead on arrival like Wildstar - which was released in lieu of B&S.

Torterrable

Vindictus is great gameplay, pretty good (if a little generic) story, amazing art, and a smallish but pretty fun community. The P2W is strong with this one, though, but personally, I got over it pretty fast because it's just such a fun game. Additionally, if you join now, you get a lot of paid stuff for a free 1 month trial.

You don't /need/ the P2W stuff, of course, but it really, really, REALLY helps.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Torterrable on May 23, 2015, 11:41:07 AM
Vindictus is great gameplay, pretty good (if a little generic) story, amazing art, and a smallish but pretty fun community. The P2W is strong with this one, though, but personally, I got over it pretty fast because it's just such a fun game. Additionally, if you join now, you get a lot of paid stuff for a free 1 month trial.

You don't /need/ the P2W stuff, of course, but it really, really, REALLY helps.

You will need it if you want to do any pvp.