News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

Some of you anime fans out there might find this interesting.

A general adversarial network AI that can generate anime faces. Some of them probably look underage, but site is totally SFW (just random generates faces). Could be fun to download the original version and train it with some better quality dataset to get art that might be usable for RP ;D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

okintsukoro

I don't watch anime much these days, but I always find myself thinking back to Shirokuma Cafe. It's just so laid back and filled with lots of great happy, care-free vibes. It's something that I think would be great to watch if one's stressed out and doesn't feel like dealing with any sort of drama, real or fictional.

Sessha

Quote from: okintsukoro on February 14, 2019, 04:43:32 AM
I don't watch anime much these days, but I always find myself thinking back to Shirokuma Cafe. It's just so laid back and filled with lots of great happy, care-free vibes. It's something that I think would be great to watch if one's stressed out and doesn't feel like dealing with any sort of drama, real or fictional.

Another good one in more recent years that comes close, at I think anyway is the series. "Restaurant to Another World." It's a good easy to watch anime and is just kind of got a bit of a mellow tone.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Sekah

I've been really enjoying Kaguya-sama Wants to Be Confessed to/Kaguya-sama: Love Is War. It's like if Death Note were a rom com. Always a big Seirei no Moribito fan. A woman warrior protagonist who's talented, over 30, and doesn't have gigantic breasts? Yaaas! I also really like Twelve Kingdoms for that reason. She's not 30, but her growth during the series is so amazing. It's very confusing at the start but it's so worth it as a series to continue. Also, the world-building in Dennou Coil is excellent.

LOOKING FOR NEW STORIES | FRIENDLY AND OPEN

WRITES: M/M + F/F + F/M (NOT AS F) + NON-BINARY  (AS/AGAINST)

ONS & OFFS | CRAVINGS | CHARACTERS

A/As 12/14/22: Update to Crisis Situation. | wiki | commissions & presents of my characters

CaptainNexus616

Recently got Hulu under the free subscription and out for recommendations.

Already got the chance to sit down for some nostalgia and re-watch Gundam Wing. My gosh what a show, and I'm not gonna lie I had a lot of fun revisiting the first Gundam series to air on Toonami. 
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Haruki

Quote from: Sekah on February 17, 2019, 05:31:39 PMAlways a big Seirei no Moribito fan. A woman warrior protagonist who's talented, over 30, and doesn't have gigantic breasts? Yaaas! I also really like Twelve Kingdoms for that reason. She's not 30, but her growth during the series is so amazing. It's very confusing at the start but it's so worth it as a series to continue. Also, the world-building in Dennou Coil is excellent.

Woaaahh!  Another who knows of Twelve Kingdoms AND Moribito!?

Let me see you to those and raise you one Yona of the Dawn.  A shame due to how things are in the anime realm, they made her story start just shy of her 16th birthday, but oh does that story progress nicely. 
Click me to read
She figures out within the first 6 episodes that "Oh-kay, literal S___ has hit the fan of my kingdom!  Time to right what has been wronged, no offense meant to those who have raised me."  A shame the general viewership didn't click onto it and it ended sooner than it should have.

Another anime favorite of mine, albeit with a girl who has just hit 18-ish, is Snow White With THe Red Hair.  I sure hope shoujo of the dramatic & romantic makes a bit of a comeback in the anime realm, because there's some VERY good romance / drama stories that have been left behind over the years.  Drives me nuts that these strong-willed lovable and VERY relatable female MC's get the short end of the stick.

My turn to also vouch for an anime that has seemingly become lost in the shuffle after 12 years, and it's just so sad it's happened.  A show that has a place in me is Saiunkoku Monogatari (Linked to a SFW detail of the series), if onliy because I met the VA of a major character that I did a cosplay of.  got an autograph and a pic with them with myself as that character.  That show has sentimental value to me as much as Samurai Pizza Cats does for being my gateway anime.  I admit my bias there, but it's otherwise a good and forgotten shoujo.....bordering on josei, anime.

Gundam Wing is another I feel I need to rewatch now that I'm a bit wiser.  I admit, in 2001-2001, I got into it when I was heavily into a rom-com phase in my anime life....Ranma 1/2, Fushigi Yuugi, (both okay) Love Hina (oof!), among them.  At it's core, it's still straight-up Gundam, just one that hit the big time.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

tangerine

Ooh, a friend showed me the Twelve Kingdoms anime a few years ago and I love it.  Very interesting fantasy world-building where the world is bigger than the characters; seems atypical of the isekai that has been produced lately.

Oh, Haruki, I noticed in past posts that you liked Sakura Quest.
I'm wondering, have you seen Shirobako?  It's an anime with a similar feel, but about girls working in the anime industry, and I think that if you liked Sakura Quest, you'd totally love Shirobako.  I did   ;D

Zaer Darkwail

Odd I had not found this thread before! Anyways anime fan as well, watching atm trying finish present Boku no Hero Academia season and move to goblin slayer (and shield hero). Also have DxD newest season on must-watch list as well.

Mirrah

I have been liking Shield Hero so far, and got caught up with My Hero Academia not too long ago. ^^ I find myself gravitating more towards Manga for a while now though, because I can start or stop whenever and don't have to worry about finding where I paused in a video, or being randomly disrupted and dragged away while in the middle of an episode.

Another one I recently re-watched was Mob Psycho 100 season 1 as a refresher, before going into season 2.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Haruki

Slowly but surely, Reincarnated As A Slime's episode count is dwindling down.  I'm going to be sad when that wraps up in March.  That series just keeps entertaining me and the plot is NO WHERE near finished yet and Rimuru is just the most fun, smartest little slimeball of an anime protag I've had the pleasure of following in quite some years.  I sure hope it gets a 2nd batch of episodes, if not this Fall, maybe early 2020.  I may have to check out Shield Hero in the meantime for my isekai fix.

For me, the anticipation-builder I'm waiting for this coming Spring is Fruits Basket.  I loved the 2001 series, though I felt some parts of it were rushed, and I didn't find out until researching that the anime 'ending' was just a cop-out due to the manga author basically telling the director to (paraphrasing) 'Can it!, you're not doing it right.'  As such, she's involved in this new series; this is usually the exception in anime production.  Once a series is greenlit for an anime adaption, the manga / light novel author stays out of it.  At least that was how things were often 'back in the days'.

In any case, I've seen the teaser video, I've been following the cast announcements over social media.  Lots of folks who did English VO in the 2001 original are returning for the 2019 do-over.  I did one of those 1000 paper cranes way back in 2005 at a convention.  Forget a 2nd season; we're getting a whole new series.  Can, Not, WAIT!!
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Inkidu

If you're a biology nut who doesn't mind cavalier use of blood spray check out Cells at Work! I'm loving it, mainly because of the visual gags and puns.

(Like the double meaning of the adorable Platelet-chan's calling Red Blood Cell "Big Sister Red Blood Cell".

Because they are related though platelets aren't technically cells.

The show knows where to take liberties but the science is pretty much always spot on.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sain

I liked the last episode of Mob Psycho. Really exciting how the anime explores such different themes in this season compared to the first :-) Looking forward to seeing what happens!

Haruki

I got bored last night, so I gave Rising of the Shield Hero a shot.

There's been some controversy swirling around it, but after watching the first 6 eps, to me, it's just another dark fantasy (its source manga/LN material written by a female author/authors) that presents a few themes that, granted, may be unsettling to some viewers; nothing that live action shows like Game of Thrones, or other anime like Fushigi Yuugi (which I watched years ago and liked...need to rewatch someday for the nostalgia trip) or Berserk (1997) haven't pushed before to ramp up the 'shock value'.  Past that, it's otherwise only an 'okay' isekai so far about a guy thrust into a fantasy realm who basically has to show his self worth to a world and its people who have cast him off as worthless.

I may need to push past the 6 episodes I've been able to watch so far before I can make a final call to resume or drop it.  It has its moments, but nothing I haven't seen before in my 22+ years into this hobby.  I still personally prefer that Slime isekai over this; its world-building aspects and lovable (for me, YMMV) MC keep drawing me in each week.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Kunoichi

The controversy around Shield Hero definitely is a bit overblown.  For the series itself, I wouldn’t quite call it a dark fantasy series, though.  It does start off rather dark at the beginning, and there’s a slight undercurrent of tension throughout as a result of the false accusations hanging over the main character’s head, but it’s ultimately a more heroic series where he struggles, works hard, and rises above it all to become the hero he was always meant to be.

That said, if Shield Hero winds up not being to your tastes, the Isekai genre is a pretty wide one.  In fact, I think there’s a four-way crossover called Isekai Quartet coming out some time this year, though from what I’ve seen, it’s more of a non-canon comedy, rather than an attempt at a serious crossover between the respective series.

Mirrah

Quote from: Inkidu on February 26, 2019, 07:39:02 AM
If you're a biology nut who doesn't mind cavalier use of blood spray check out Cells at Work! I'm loving it, mainly because of the visual gags and puns.

(Like the double meaning of the adorable Platelet-chan's calling Red Blood Cell "Big Sister Red Blood Cell".

Because they are related though platelets aren't technically cells.

The show knows where to take liberties but the science is pretty much always spot on.

Okay, this sounds cute. I may have to take a look at it at some point. Thank you for sharing about it, Inkidu!

I didn't look into the controversies and such about Shield Hero, but I admit that it was a bit difficult for me to get past the beginning of it. Once I did, I found it to be enjoyable. There's more to it than just the fact that he's being hated on, though there is a bigger picture in all of it. Not every show is for everyone though, so whether you decide to drop it or continue, it's all gravy. There are lots of shows to watch. ^^

Haruki

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 28, 2019, 01:08:31 AM
The controversy around Shield Hero definitely is a bit overblown.  For the series itself, I wouldn’t quite call it a dark fantasy series, though.  It does start off rather dark at the beginning, and there’s a slight undercurrent of tension throughout as a result of the false accusations hanging over the main character’s head, but it’s ultimately a more heroic series where he struggles, works hard, and rises above it all to become the hero he was always meant to be.

Fair point, it started dark, that's for sure, but it looks like Naofuni and his little party of newfound allies are going to try to prove people wrong.  I do sense a current of tension, as you pointed out, which should keep me roped in.  I do have questions like "Why would they do such a thing to Naofumi?"  There's something bigger brewing; the accusations leveled against him are just the tip of the iceburg, and none of it is his doing.  An unfortunate scenario of "Wrong place at the wrong time", so to speak.

Doing my best to avoid spoilers obviously.  I'll keep up with it.  :)

Oddly enough, it was only after reading an article or watching a video (I forgot which was first) about the whole 'isekai' craze that's swept up the anime landscape the last few years, and came to realize older shows I enjoyed in the past, Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, and some others to name a few, also could qualify as they do feature protagonists who are whisked off to new realms to complete an ultimate goal *and (hopefully) return home*.

(*...* - Newer shows excise the 'returning home' part)

With that in mind I gave Overlord a chance first, but dropped it after the first season.  Just wasn't my thing, and I can't pin down a reason as to why.  I wasn't about to touch the now (in)famous Sword Art Online, because at this point, I would feel a bit embarrassed (though in the same wouldn't give two rips what others thought of me) to watch a show thatl literally tore the community in half.  Reincarnated As A Slime started last October, so I figured. "Well I'll try this." and it clicked with me.

I do plan on checking out Re:Zero and Konosuba at some point too.  I've read favorable things about those two.  Log Horizon is also in my 'must obtain & watch' list.

QuoteThat said, if Shield Hero winds up not being to your tastes, the Isekai genre is a pretty wide one.  In fact, I think there’s a four-way crossover called Isekai Quartet coming out some time this year, though from what I’ve seen, it’s more of a non-canon comedy, rather than an attempt at a serious crossover between the respective series.

I'll keep tabs on Naofumi's adventures and keep that Isekai Quest in mind too.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Zaer Darkwail

Sword Art Online the first half of the first season is pretty good, but then script went to bonkers and did on season 2 and onwards. Re:Zero was okay/nice for me and Kononsuba is excellent for laughs (a anime which default you must not take seriously to have fun with it). I have watched first season Log Horizon (plan watch second), I warmly recommend it as it takes a different take on MMO trapped players scenario.

Inkidu

I started watching Megalo Box (Megalobox?). I picked it up because while it's digital they seem to be drying to replicate that look of hand-draw cell work with texture and minor little flaws that give the art a kind of depth. The premise isn't terrible, and I dare say the protagonist isn't even likable. I'm still kind of invested because I want to see if he's crazy good or just plain crazy though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sain

Damn I love Jojo's bizarre adventure. Never finished the manga of this season so no idea how this will end!

Haruki

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 28, 2019, 09:11:01 AM
Sword Art Online the first half of the first season is pretty good, but then script went to bonkers and did on season 2 and onwards. Re:Zero was okay/nice for me and Kononsuba is excellent for laughs (a anime which default you must not take seriously to have fun with it). I have watched first season Log Horizon (plan watch second), I warmly recommend it as it takes a different take on MMO trapped players scenario.

Since I'm not really part of the greater 'anime community' online (I like smaller groups like those of us here in this thread...less 'noise' and FAR less toxic), I'm curious enough now to see what SAO is all about.  I have access to everything but the spinoff (Gun Gate).  We'll see.

The others I can find easy enough as well.  Konosuba is on Crunchyroll, and Log Horizon is with Sentai (via HiDive)

======

Finally I know it's not quite 'anime', but the inspiration is certainly there with RWBY.  What a fun little detour that's been for me so far.  Easily blasted my way through the first 2 seasons (they call them 'volumes') the last couple days and started on Volume 3 today.  Not anime, but as I said, inspired by the medium.  For me sometimes all I need is a simple 'back to basics' story with more of a Western flavor, yet with  fight sequences and character design that strongly nod and wink to the anime tropes I'm familiar with.  It also amazes me how far we've come in terms of all-digital animation.  I was afraid this was going to be one of those ugly-looking Flash-animated projects from the 2000s (Cartoon Network seemed to air a lot of these in those days), but I was quite pleasantly surprised with RWBY.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Zaer Darkwail

RWBY is good show albeit hearing it has got plot scrambled in later volumes (not sure as I haven't watched). But there is RWBY manga which has got much praise.

Haruki

I've been down that path before with some anime, and have read up on that already so I went into watching RWBY prepared.  If I get too confused, that's what Google is for.  Plot holes and loose ends can be an annoyance, that's for sure.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Mirrah

I hope a new season for Log Horizon comes out eventually.

Azuresun

Quote from: Sain on March 01, 2019, 12:56:41 PM
Damn I love Jojo's bizarre adventure. Never finished the manga of this season so no idea how this will end!

The last two episodes were very cool, and S5 in general has been fun. That said, I do have a question based on the last couple of episodes, as I think I'm missing something.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
How exactly does King Crimson work? Here's my reading after rewatching a couple of times--

For the next few seconds after it's invoked, the master knows everything (within their perceptions) that will happen in the area affected, and can act on that information freely. Other people in the affected area will continue actions that they set in motion before the power was used, but cannot react to anything the user is doing, and will have no memories of anything that happened in the affected span of time once it ends.

If I'm misreading it based on what we've seen in the anime so far, I'd like to know, since it's probably going to be very important in later episodes.  :-)

Sain

Quote from: Azuresun on March 02, 2019, 12:13:16 PM
The last two episodes were very cool, and S5 in general has been fun. That said, I do have a question based on the last couple of episodes, as I think I'm missing something.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
How exactly does King Crimson work? Here's my reading after rewatching a couple of times--

For the next few seconds after it's invoked, the master knows everything (within their perceptions) that will happen in the area affected, and can act on that information freely. Other people in the affected area will continue actions that they set in motion before the power was used, but cannot react to anything the user is doing, and will have no memories of anything that happened in the affected span of time once it ends.

If I'm misreading it based on what we've seen in the anime so far, I'd like to know, since it's probably going to be very important in later episodes.  :-)

JOJO SPOILER
Kind of like that, though the full explanation is a bit longer.

From jojopedia.

QuoteTime Erasure
King Crimson's signature ability is to erase a given frame of time lasting up to 10 seconds,[5] starting from the instant the ability is activated.[6][4] "During" this period of time, other people will be unable to experience anything that happened[6] and will retain no memories of it either.[6][7] After the allotted time frame, they will suddenly find themselves in the situation they were supposed to be afterwards.[4][6] There is, however, one instance where a person was able to see their double before finding themselves in their future position.[6]

Kc powa
King Crimson erases time and foresees Sticky Fingers' punch

On the other hand, Diavolo remains fully conscious during the erased time and only he can re-adjust his actions.[7] In the manga, Diavolo sees the erased time as a void filled with juxtapositions of what would have happened during this period in a fashion akin to Nude Descending a Staircase, allowing him to think out the next best action (for instance, when Bruno Bucciarati tried to punch Diavolo during the erased time, Diavolo saw Bucciarati's superimposed positions during his punch).[7] The anime adaptation has Diavolo visualize a ghostly red image of his foe's next move instead.

While Diavolo can interact with himself (demonstrated when he cuts his own wrist during the erased time)[8] and can interact manually with objects not currently or fated to be affected by other phenomena (cleaning up his temporary work station at a motel within the erased time),[9] it is worth noting that King Crimson is never shown to directly interact with people until time returns to normal, as opposed to The World, which is able to interact with the whole physical realm while time is stopped.

Diavolo mainly uses this time erasure to position himself into an advantageous position while his opponent unconsciously "acts" during the erased time and to nullify any attack that may reach him, making King Crimson invincible in any one-on-one fight.

This ability can also be interpreted as "removing cause" in contrast to Gold Experience Requiem's ability to "remove effect". In the former's case, all interactions are skipped over and their results are nullified (events continue to occur for the people affected), whereas the latter instead creates a never-ending cycle of an interaction with no result ever occurring (a single event is never completed for the person affected).