Interest check - Legend of the Five Rings

Started by HairyHeretic, December 23, 2007, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Yeah, they do. I think I made it about 10 points over or so. You automatically get rank 1 in the school skills, and then anything else you buy as normal. Not sure why you put meditation 0 though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HairyHeretic

Couple of other things, while I'm thinking of it.

Anyone got a preference for catagory? I'm expecting sex and violence, and occasional Oni (though sex with an Oni isn't real likely to happen).

Second, do you want a prologue scene where you receive your mission from Dji Satsume (the Emerald Champion), or just kick things off with the arrival at Ryoko Owari?

I have a couple of books that the players should get (well, 1 they should, one they may find), but I need to scan that and put it into some kind of format you can make use off, which is probably going to take a while.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lanzlo

Well I, for one, vote for the personal introduction thread. Help us get into character. :)

Speaking of character... here's Shosuro Akane, 'courtier' of Clan Scorpion, Rank 2 of the Shosuro shinobi school.

Rings:
Earth 2
Water 2
Fire 3
Air 3
Void 2

Skills:
Athletics 2
Deceit 3
Defense 3
Kenjutsu 3
Ninja Ranged Weapons 3
Stealth (Sneaking) 3
Underworld 2
Courtier 3
Ettiquette 2
Poison 2
Sleight of Hand 2
Perform/Music (Flute) 3
Investigation 2

Advantages:
Dangerous Beauty (1)
Crafty (4)
Perceived Honor +3 (6)
Shosuro Blade (4)

Disadvantages:
Rumormonger (4)
Low Pain Threshold (5)

Heritage: A Hero's End-Yojimbo

School Techniques:
Shadow Has No Mask
Shadow Has No Mercy

Posessions:
Katana (Shosuro blade)
Wakazashi
Ninja-to
10 Shuriken
Blowgun with 10 darts
Courtier clothing
Dark clothing
Kimono and sandals
Traveling pack with flute, fan, mask (black full face), coin purse, chopsticks, hand mirror, makeup kit, mortar and pestle, perfume, and a handful of sweets
10 koku

LordAnubis

I'd say Mid to heavy, but that's just in case.

I'd say show up at the city of lies.  Given it's a forum game, we might end up too long in a prolougue.  If we get into the game, better survival chance.  Could make a post that detaisl what went on at the meeting, so people have the same idea, but I'd vote for throwing us ingot the mission.

HairyHeretic

Ok, so kick things off with the group arriving at a small hill overlooking the city, quick flashback to the mission brief from the Emerald Champion, and then on from there?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

Per curiousity.  What is your current plan on the XP?  I was just curious because it dawned on me that there wasn't a nice end of game session on a forum game.

May not be the most important thing but I was curious.

HairyHeretic

Normally I find it works out to about 1 xp per hour of game play around a table. In forum terms, that would probably be between 1 and 2 weeks, depending on posting speed. I guess I'll just have to judge it depending on how much gets accomplished in a particular time period.

I also have the option for players to nominate others for an additional point per session, for doing something particularly impressive, funny, in character or whatever.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

Alright. I just wanted to know because higher purpose gives me the free one and in the table top games it's well balanced, but in forum games I've seen it go both ways.  Where the person gives XP out at the end of the whole mission, 3 months of playing, and I've seen where they give it out at each milestone in the game.  The first higher purpose isn't worth it, and the other high purpose becomes abusive because originally they were giving out 1 or 2 Xp for each milestone and I'm pulling 2-3 each mile stone.

I just wanted to know because I realized I took that advantage this time and wanted to avoid either of those situations.

HairyHeretic

If it worries you we can discuss things privately and reach some ammount we both feel is fair.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

I'm going to have company arriving shortly, and staying through til tomorrow, so I'll see about kicking off the intro thread tomorrow afternoon or so.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Dragoondawg25

Name: Soshi Hashimoto
Clan: Scorpion
School: Bayushi Bushi
Insight: 151

Traits:
Rings:
Earth 2
   Stamina: 2 
   Willpower: 2
Water:2
    Strength: 2     
    Perception: 3
Fire: 3
   Agility: 3     
   Intelligence: 3
Air:3
   Reflexes: 3     
   Awareness: 3
Void: 3

Skills:      Emphasis            Rank:
Coutier  (political maneuvering)       1
Defense:                      3
Etiquette:                       1
Laijutsu:                      1
Kenjutsu: (Katana)                3
Kyujutsu:                       1
Meditation:                       1
Investigation: (Notice)             3
Lore Law:                      3
Underworld Lore:                2
Poison:                      2

Outfit:
Katana, Wakizashi, Bow and 20 Arrows, any one weapon, light armor, kimono, sandals, traveling pack 7 koku.

Primary Weapon: Shosuro Blade
   Roll to Attack (Trait/Weapon Skill): 6k3+3
   DR: 6k2
   Quality: Sacred Weapon
   Special Abilities: Free raise on poisons, poison resists at +5 TN

Armor: Light armor
   TN Bonus: 5
   Quality: Normal
   Special Abilities:

TN to be Hit:
   =Reflexes x 5 + Armor + Other Modifiers:
Initiative:
   Roll Reflexes/School Rank:
7k3
Current Initiative:

Honor: 1.5
Glory: 1.0
Shadowlands Taint: 0.0

Advantages:
•   Bishamon Blessing:
You have been noticed by one of the Seven Fortunes, Bishamon, the Fortune of Strength, has graced you with his blessing.  For every 2 Raises you successfully make on an attack roll, you gain an additional Free Raise.
•   Precise memory:
You have the incredible ability to memorize and recall large amounts of information, including names, dates, facts, and figures.  When attempting to remember information you have seen before, you must succeed at an Intelligence roll with a TN of 10.  More obscure or specific information may increase the TN considerably at the GMs discretion.
•   Quick:
  Your reaction speed is truly phenomenal. When making an Initiative roll, you always roll one additional die. Scorpion characters may purchase this advantage for 2 points.
•   Read lips:
You have the ability to read lips at a distance, understanding conversations that you cannot overhear.  This requires a raw perception roll against a TN of 20 for every minute of conversation you are attempting to decipher.  The TN increases by 1 for every foot father away then 10 feet your target is.  You cannot read the lips of anyone more then 25 feet away.
•   Scared weapon of the Scorpion
  The smiths of every clan craft majestic weapons that become the stuff of legends, and you have been chosen to wield such a weapon.  These weapons are truly magnificent, and are particular to each clan.  The number in parenthesis after the weapons name is the number of character points you must spend to purchase this advantage.  Weapon:  Scorpion Shosuro Blade (4) 4k2, Free Raise on Poison, poison resists +5 TN.

Disadvantages:
•   Bad Reputation:
  You have a habit or history that many find offensive.  You could be known as a gambler, a drinker or someone who bends the concept of honor.  It is possible this bad reputation is unwarranted, stemming from a misunderstanding.  In any case, your Glory is always treated as if it were 3 less by those aware of this reputation. If this brings your glory below 1 rank you instead gain Infamy for each rank below 1 this would place you.
•   Benten Curse:
There is something about you that others find unsettling or just plain disturbing.  You have a difficult time getting others to let their guard down, and often you are the first one suspicion falls on when things go wrong. Any Etiquette Skill Rolls or rolls to be cordial or persuasive have their TNs raised by 10.
•   Driven:
You have a single goal that you are utterly devoted to achieving.  You will turn your back on your friends, family, and even your honor in order to reach your prize.  This disadvantage is worth 4 points for Scorpion characters.  For Soshi Hashimoto it is to be recognized as one of the best swordsmen in the land.  Never to back down from a fight if he can help it.  And always seeking to prove himself the best.
•   Insensitive:
  The three most important things to you are your health, your welfare, and your interests. You don’t care overmuch about the plight of others, and you don’t go to great lengths to keep this a secret.  With the exception of those who contribute directly to your well being, you must spend a void point to put yourself at risk for another if there is not a direct benefit for you.

School Abilities: p142 of pdf.
Heterosexual Switch: Humor DLC included
My Discord: Dragoondawg2582
Ons & Offs

HairyHeretic

Do you particularly need Bad Reputation for your back story? Given the nature of that disadvantage, I'm thinking it would make it a bit harder for someone like that to be nominated as an Imperial Magistrate.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

And we're off.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=12404.0

Welcome, Magistrate-samas. Welcome to Ryoki Owari, and the Night of a Thousand Screams.

Cattle die, kinsmen die