Life at the Ludus [Ancient Rome]

Started by Blonde, September 18, 2012, 03:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azzmeister89

Caitlin

Hehe, sometimes I get in character way too easy. :p

Although my character would have probably said; In name of Woadan, it shall be done!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Caitlin on October 01, 2012, 03:07:01 PM
By the way, I can see regular clashes occur between Leonidas and Baersun, considering how he is a former soldier and a Roman. :-p

Good thing practice matches aren't seen as an honorable way to die, or you'd be in real trouble. -grins-

Down the line it could also result in a friendship between our characters though. :)

I would not mind a intense rivalry, it would actually make more sense it occur than not. But I also can see if they are forced to work together and fight in ring because they belong to same unit/house, suffer battles with him can form bonds which can cross nationality and career. Leonidas would consider the rapes, pillages and such as more lack of discipline than actual standards what he would think of roman soldiers. He himself would not like to do such things as his mother had taught him think also through position of enemy on things (his father would had been different; perhaps allow it but not partake in activity personally as men expect to pillage and loot defeated enemies).

Caitlin

True, but Baersun doesn't know so and he's not likely going to listen to a 'young rookie' who will try to convince him otherwise, especially when he finds out why your character ended up as a gladiator in the first place, hehe. I seriously didn't think of your character when I wrote my biography and all, but it seems like they're nearly exact opposites, or at least at first sight they are.

I think that later down the line he'll give your character more of a chance, maybe after a heroic save in the arena or something. He'd be more of a comrade after that. Hell, he could even end up stitching your character's wound. :-)

I know this is all in the far future, but it makes a lot of sense to have a plot like that in the story. I think that at the start my character will mostly stick to himself and have flashbacks of how his life used to be, compared to what it is now, and somehow find the strength to go on living. It's also not like he suffered his traumas recently, he already had two years of thinking that he could do. In a way it combines Sparticus from Blood and Sand with Gladiator, although I'll give my character his own fair amount of twists to make him unique. (Not to mention, I hate copying what was already shown on television, that's just boring and predictable.)

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, I expect the start of the relationship being very rough and even expect some bullying also. Leonidas may be rookie or new but he did face one or two battles before he was framed. It is up to story will it ever uncovered or not but I expect it never is going to be and likely he looses all connection to family/relatives since his sentence. So in a way he does loose his family also but in more cruel way; as they literally abandon him to his fate.

Caitlin

I suppose so yeah. :-)

At the age of 24 my character is pretty much a war veteran who is used to fighting Romans for a living. From his childhood they tried to conquer his lands and time and time again his fellow tribesmen held them off. Them pesky soldiers with their toilet brush helmets just can't keep from bugging us pre-Vikings, ya know? :P

Must be our great ale or something, it's strong enough to kill an ox and intoxicating enough to make Medusa look like Aphrodite. I swear his uncle once tried to kiss a woman just like her!

On a serious note; I would assume that my character has roughly 10 years of real war experience before he was captured (age 14 - 24) and then about 2 years of gladiator experience by the time he joins this Ludus. He could have been as young as 12 years old when he joined his first battle against the Romans. Boys back then had to grow up fast, and especially in a war culture they'd be eager to sign up. From his point of view Leonidas would really be a rookie with just 2 battles under his belt. It doesn't really matter though, your character is far more educated and that gives you plenty of openings to tease him with, or talk about things that go way over my character's head.

Apart from fighting, farming, his religion and the druidic ways my character doesn't have a lot of life experience and most certainly not an education. :-)

Blonde

On&Off's | Request Thread NewestV.1 && V.2 | Visual Index | Gif Index

Blonde

And once again we need more male characters, someone has dropped out.
Grr.

Caitlin

Well... I did say it could take a woman or two to get Baersun's mind of his dilemmas... ;)

Right now I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. Personally I don't have much in the way of other games and I intend to be very active on this one. I might even be able to compensate for the lack of a male character. Naturally, if we do get an extra guy to join it'd be great, but 5 vs 4 isn't such a big difference that it completely upsets the balance. Unless you're planning on 1:1 pairings that is, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

I for one will do my best not to make anybody feel left out. ^_^

Blonde

Just a pet peeve of mine, I don't like female dominated rp's, they end up annoying me.

Caitlin

Ahh... Well, I'm sure the other guys won't mind giving the women more of their attention to. It probably won't be too hard to find an additional male either. In the end it'll still come down to post rates and you're probably better off with 4 highly motivated and active men than 5 semi active men. I have the impression that both Azzmeister and Zear will at least be very active too, and I'm guessing Primarch will be so as well, I mean, he's the boss and all! :-)

I won't make any promises, but if I find a guy that wants to join then I'll let you know. ^_^

Caitlin

On a different note, I really love the biography you came up with for your character. It seems your and my char have a lot in common.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Caitlin on October 01, 2012, 05:09:44 PM
On a different note, I really love the biography you came up with for your character. It seems your and my char have a lot in common.

What? My char Bio? Anyways yeah, I try my best show him as well educated at least and some cases it be highly useful for combat (gladiatorial combat as his mother was actress and screenwriter; so he knows all about entertainment business).

Caitlin

Eh, that was in reference to Blonde and Geila. ;)

Geila shares a lot in common with Baersun, they originate from the same region, likely speak a similar dialect, or can at least understand each other in their native tongue, had a similar way of living and even have similar skills when it comes to treating battle wounds. :-)

Baersun can probably learn a thing or two about how to behave in the arena from Leonidas.

gaggedLouise

Lydia, having lived in northern Gaul, may also have picked up some simple Germanic, at any rate she has been to regions bordering on the wild north (in those days Gaul was much more heavily wooded than it would become later) and understands what kind of skills it takes to live and survive there. Especially in winter.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Caitlin

Oi nice. I believe Baersun has mastered the skill of cuddling together under a bear or wolf skin, purely for sharing body heat of course. ;D

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Caitlin on October 02, 2012, 02:26:47 AM
Oi nice. I believe Baersun has mastered the skill of cuddling together under a bear or wolf skin, purely for sharing body heat of course. ;D

-Hermann!
-Ja?

(from I, Claudius - Roman pretorian guard officer talking to one of the leaders of the Germanic spearhead contingent of his force)  :D

Caitlin

Hehe, we might even able to mix in a little bit of German, since I believe 'ja' is the same in Dutch, German, Danish, Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian. ^_^

I'll probably stick to pure English though, as to not to confuse the people not from North Europe, but it could be fun to add some realism when our characters talk in their native tongue. (This would still be English ICly, but characters that don't speak the language wouldn't know what was being said.) Though at the same time, dialects back then were a lot worse and somebody from the north of German likely wouldn't understand somebody from the south of German. One of the big advantages the Romans had was talking the same language, which allowed them to get organised easier. :-)

I'm still up for all that cuddling though!

gaggedLouise

I know modern-day German well enough to hang on if we create some occasional phrases (we could subtitle a bit for the readers when required) - and of course Swedish (my native tongue) has lots of words derived from early Germanic roots. Even the Goths migrated from Sweden according to their own historian Jordanes - a tradition that's become kinda controversial later on but still has some serious proponents.

Yes to cuddling under a warm fur - but I'd also like to explore at some point how Lydia stands up for Baersun and Geila to protect them or guide them in a difficult situation (she might be the one who knows most about Roman culture and politics among the slaves) only to be punished by the lanista and scoffed at by Baersun for having acted "like a man"ยด, taking charge of the situation and kind of stepping in his way, when she should know she's a woman.

Caitlin

Hmm... Although the idea sounds appealing we're not exactly enacting a 100% accurate depiction of how life used to be like that. It'd probably be the most pleasant experience for everybody involved if we don't get down to details of writing in foreign languages. The occasional word like 'Hei, Hallo, ja or nee/ nein' would probably be okay, but I think it's better not to do more than that. It gives just that little bit extra, without distracting too much from the actual roleplay. :-)

I could picture Baersun grabbing Lydia by the throat and lifting her up if she tries to protect him while he growls some words to her of how he doesn't need protection. ;)

I like to play in partner's O/O's as well. Under normal conditions I wouldn't have my character be that forceful, but I think it'd fit in well and probably be something you'd 'enjoy' happening to your character too. It'd make sense in the roleplay as well, I think.

I'm really looking forward to start with this game, there is so much potential here for interesting scenes.

For now, however, -holds his furs open and invites Lydia for that cuddling they talked about, his heavy body tired from the training he endured.-

-grins-

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Caitlin on October 02, 2012, 03:16:23 AM
Hmm... Although the idea sounds appealing we're not exactly enacting a 100% accurate depiction of how life used to be like that. It'd probably be the most pleasant experience for everybody involved if we don't get down to details of writing in foreign languages. The occasional word like 'Hei, Hallo, ja or nee/ nein' would probably be okay, but I think it's better not to do more than that. It gives just that little bit extra, without distracting too much from the actual roleplay. :-)

Sure, I was not looking to having a variety of languages as in, let's say, Tolkien (who actually was a linguist, you know, and thrilled by the different counds and word roots of languages)  ;)

QuoteI could picture Baersun grabbing Lydia by the throat and lifting her up if she tries to protect him while he growls some words to her of how he doesn't need protection. ;)

I like to play in partner's O/O's as well. Under normal conditions I wouldn't have my character be that forceful, but I think it'd fit in well and probably be something you'd 'enjoy' happening to your character too. It'd make sense in the roleplay as well, I think.

I'm really looking forward to start with this game, there is so much potential here for interesting scenes.

Amen to exploring that when they have got to know each other a bit better. I'd love it if Lydia actually gets the time to speak for them (in front of,. let's say, the lanista's wife or a guest to the house who thinks he's been wronged) or help them in a sensitive situation, so she thinks she may have succeeded in saving them, or close, only to both have a cruel punishment land on herself and being denied support and respect by Baersun, even despised by him because to him, she was making him feel less than a man.

Caitlin

Well, maybe not despised, but he may want to spank her bottom thoroughly to let her know it wasn't appreciated. :p

Right now I don't know yet how my character would respond to such a situation. It'll depend a lot on the current setting and scene. One of his traits is that he's dominant, but he also has a strong sense of honor and hurting females doesn't stroke with that. It'll cause inner conflicts with him and it'll depend on his mood and emotions at the time as to which side will win at that moment. He might go ahead and punish/ hurt her, only to regret it later on and perhaps seek to make it up to her, or at least treat her more cordial afterwards. There is lots of different ways we could take it to.

I like a strong sense of realism in stories and give a character more depth. :)

gaggedLouise

I can see the polarity, and it would not resolve easily for either of them. That's part of what makes it interesting - and then honestly I get off on the thought of Lydia having made an effort to help him and possibly Geila too, only to land out in the cold, bound and punished and also feeling shut off for a while by the very people she wanted to protect.

Blonde

A) Please do not pre-arrange relationships, makes for a boring rp. By all means form friendships, but can we just see how things roll please. There is a free-form aspect to this.

B) Any talk in another language shall be typed in Italics. I don't want people to have to translate things. But also, don't be all "multi-lingual" and that.

C) Anyone who has not posted their CS in the OOC but has posted interest will be replaced. I have seen you check the thread, but no alterations to your character sheets have happened. Sort this out ASAP or just be courteous and let me know.

D) Doubling on characters may be in order.

E) I am in a crap mood, so ignore the shitty tone to this message.

Thanks, Blonde.

Caitlin

*Gives Blonde an extra big hug.* :-)

No worries about point A Blonde, we read the rules and were just forming friendships. I think we all agree that pre-arranged relationships make for a boring roleplay. I for one want to spread the luvin' far & wide. ;D

I'm not sure what you meant with D. The interpretation I have goes along the lines of a gangbang or threesome, but that might not be what you meant. ;)