We Could Be Heroes; A Sexy Superhero RP 2nd Arc Recruitment! MALES NEEDED!

Started by Vergil Tanner, May 10, 2017, 09:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PentheWonderful

Sounds good, LtFox. Everything seems in order for his power, so I'll speak for Vergil and give you the okay to start Vincent's Character Sheet and post it up in the New Players Welcome Thread on our board. :-)

Oh, and don't be afraid to ask me any questions you might have.
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

keyotess

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 12, 2017, 03:20:49 AM
Ummm....how about half an hour? POSSIBLY reducing to ten minutes once she's gotten more powerful?

That way she isn't USELESS, but she has another way to grow :-)

Okay :)
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

jeflint

Key,

Sounds like everything is A-OK. In the power vested in me by Verg I think you're able to start on the character sheet proper.

Pen has already linked to the new player thread above so feel free to introduce yourself. 😊

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

keyotess

By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Vergil Tanner

Yeah, what they said! Follow the directions on the Page, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

moessashi

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 11, 2017, 10:16:21 AM
Ok, well, first thing's first: As an outcast, how do you see her interacting with people? Obviously if she's an outcast and a loner, well...it will be difficult getting connections, no? Would you mind elaborating on that, please? :-)

Of course!  As an outcast, Jackie isn't necessarily cast out of groups, it's more of a self-exile.  She isn't anti-social, just doesn't fit in anywhere.  Her personality fluctuates too much  She's the one everyone knows and respects because she is very mature for her age.  Because she has no besties, she just hags around.  She becomes part of the scenery, a shadow.  She is always engrossed in her phone games, so no one thinks she hears them.  That, and she has hyper-sensitive-hearing.  It's not a superpower, just a medical condition.  (I have it).  Whenever a serious bullying situation occurs, that the staff can't fix, Jaquelin finds out and puts a stop to it.  Because of this, many students that have been bullied are grateful and hang out with her sometimes.  Everyone fears her, but most of the other students respect her.  She has many connections.

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 11, 2017, 10:16:21 AM
As for shadow control...ooooh, interesting. What, specifically, would she be able to do with Shadows? JUST lightening or darkening, or would she be able to alter the shapes of shadows, reduce them to nothing, etc etc? Would she be able to manipulate them into tangible objects? Is she able to see through shadows and darkness, or is she as blind as everybody else? What are the specific capabilities of her power? :-)

She can darken much more easily than lighten and would be able to expand existing shadows, depending on the time of day.  As for making shadows tangible, no.  While not being able to see, she can feel the shadows, and tell where everything is, similar to echolocation.  While hiding in the shadows, I was thinking she could blend herself in, making her invisible if she stood still.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: moessashi on May 12, 2017, 11:27:55 AM
Of course!  As an outcast, Jackie isn't necessarily cast out of groups, it's more of a self-exile.  She isn't anti-social, just doesn't fit in anywhere.  Her personality fluctuates too much  She's the one everyone knows and respects because she is very mature for her age.  Because she has no besties, she just hags around.  She becomes part of the scenery, a shadow.  She is always engrossed in her phone games, so no one thinks she hears them.  That, and she has hyper-sensitive-hearing.  It's not a superpower, just a medical condition.  (I have it).  Whenever a serious bullying situation occurs, that the staff can't fix, Jaquelin finds out and puts a stop to it.  Because of this, many students that have been bullied are grateful and hang out with her sometimes.  Everyone fears her, but most of the other students respect her.  She has many connections.

Eeeeeh....if she hides on the outskirts and is in a self-imposed exile, then I kind of struggle to see how she gets involved with anybody. If she's the type of person who is gonna sit at the edge of the room alone and not make an effort to get involved, is that really the right kind of personality for a group character-based game? I mean, those people exist, but I'm wary of including them simply because of just how difficult they can be to get involved, if they'd rather just sit in a corner not talking to anybody.
Also, I would suggest avoiding wording like "Everybody respects her" and "Everyone is scared of her," since that's already dictating how characters react to her. I can think of....three of the current cast, off the top of my head, who would probably not be intimidated by her at all. :P

Quote from: moessashi on May 12, 2017, 11:27:55 AMShe can darken much more easily than lighten and would be able to expand existing shadows, depending on the time of day.  As for making shadows tangible, no.  While not being able to see, she can feel the shadows, and tell where everything is, similar to echolocation.  While hiding in the shadows, I was thinking she could blend herself in, making her invisible if she stood still.

Ok, Active Camoflague later on...kinda like Nightcrawler, in that respect. Can she use the Shadows as a medium to travel, or is it JUST hiding?
Basically, would you care to give me a definitive list of everything she can do with the shadows at the Apex of her abilities, so I can review it? :D

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

NightLux

I've done some thinking and for the foreseeable future, I think I'm going to just watch and read; I'll jump in later if I have an idea I think would add to the game.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

jeflint

Your ears must have been burning Night. I was just thinking about you. 😊

Thank you for giving us a heads up. If there's any questions you have while you lurk feel free to fry them off to the admin team. 😊

BlueEyedBard

Hey there, I was recommended this game by a friend (jeflint) and thought I would drop in a character proposal, if nobody minds ^•^

Sex: Male
Position: Student
Archetype: Stoner, under achiever
Power Theme: invisibility
(I'm guessing I'm not supposed to go too in depth on this part?)

If there is more I can put just let me know, thanks!
"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
Ad astra - but per hominum
On/Off

jeflint

First off! Hurray my favorite otter! 😜

Secondly you can flesh out the character as we go or post it all and we nit pick it. 😊 We're easy to work with... I think cause I'm me.

First off... Stoner/underachiever - the school is pretty good, basically think honor students ​are like the typical student body. You don't have to be stupid/bimboish like Sasha (My Character) but you'll have to put in work. In Sasha's description she basically gets tutors for everything. So not a problem per say but the boss may want this fleshed out some. 😊 Keep in mind you also are a senior... So 17 to 19.

Now invisibility Cool! How's it work? What sorta limitations are you thinking of? Is it true Invisible Man (H.G. Wells) or is it like Susan Storm (Invisible woman)? Or is it more of like Doctor Who and his chameleon circuit where your character is "invisible" by virtue of being out of focus and hard to notice? What's the power growth you see? Like he can turn himself and others invisible or maybe an object invisible?

This process let's us start defining and tinkering with your concept so ask as many questions as you like. We'll have plenty for you BEB.

BlueEyedBard

Quote from: jeflint on May 12, 2017, 03:45:25 PM
First off! Hurray my favorite otter! 😜

Secondly you can flesh out the character as we go or post it all and we nit pick it. 😊 We're easy to work with... I think cause I'm me.

First off... Stoner/underachiever - the school is pretty good, basically think honor students ​are like the typical student body. You don't have to be stupid/bimboish like Sasha (My Character) but you'll have to put in work. In Sasha's description she basically gets tutors for everything. So not a problem per say but the boss may want this fleshed out some. 😊 Keep in mind you also are a senior... So 17 to 19.

Now invisibility Cool! How's it work? What sorta limitations are you thinking of? Is it true Invisible Man (H.G. Wells) or is it like Susan Storm (Invisible woman)? Or is it more of like Doctor Who and his chameleon circuit where your character is "invisible" by virtue of being out of focus and hard to notice? What's the power growth you see? Like he can turn himself and others invisible or maybe an object invisible?

This process let's us start defining and tinkering with your concept so ask as many questions as you like. We'll have plenty for you BEB.
Hello ^•^

Ok cool, so by under achiever I don't mean dumb  by any means. I'd say it is clear he belongs with his classmates in the school for honor students from his aptitude tests, and just tests in general. His parents are both very successful and hard working academics, and are constantly pushing him as hard as possible to "live up to his potential", and it's from rebelling from that that causes things like assignments to suffer, and may be known for skipping a class now and then. It's that same pressure that caused him to spark his first joint, starting a love affair with the perfect substance to let him sort of drift away from this world for a bit.
But when it comes down to it, he always does enough to stay out of hot water on school.  Also, 19 is fine for his age.

As far as the power goes, I had in mind that he manipulates light fields around him (ie Susan Storm, or Violet from the incredibles) and down the road can develop into similar sort of strong light fields that could render other people or things invisible, or be concentrated to the point where it could become a shield for a short time (like their force fields, but if that seems too powerful even as a down the road thing, then it could just be not more than a concentrated light field that could stop some damage for a very short time)
"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
On/Off

jeflint

Does he socialize well? You did say stoner and the biggest part of this game is the social interaction.

We have a lot of geniuses that don't live up to their potential in this school. 😜

So what's the limits of the invisibility? How long do you see him being able to do it? What sorta of limitations do you for see him having?

Susan Storm is one of the most powerful women in marvel, obviously a force field like she has is probably going​ to be out of of the question. 😊

Where does his power end up when he's fully powered?

BlueEyedBard

Don't confuse stoner with introvert. He has no problem socializing, perhaps too much. He is definitely more of the life of the party/class clown type than the brooding in the corner type.

Haha, well he should be right at home then ~.•
But I'm not sure I would go as far as genius. At this higher end institution he is probably about average, in public school he would look like a scholar. It's his parents who are geniuses and want to force that on him.

I wasn't trying to give him her level of powers, it was just an example of how they worked as opposed to others.
But I was thinking to start off actually using his powers takes so much concentration that he actually has to hold his breath to stay invisible. So at the beginning it would be limited to how long he can hold his breath. But I would think eventually he could develop them past that.

With time and work he could eventually turn others or objects in his immediate area (like touching) invisible with him.
At full power I think he actually could create a focused light field in front of himself that could reduce the impact of certain things. I'm mother saying stop a bullet, but maybe reduce the impact of a bullet to a non lethal level?

Like most powers that take this level of concentration I would think it is very exhausting. Similar to doing an intense workout while keeping it going. So it will be limited to how long his energy can hold out.
And he may be invisible, but he's not unhearable. He and others who are invisible need to stay aware of their noise level, so running at full speed is hardly an option. Also it's exhausting so, see previous limitation.
On/Off

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so! A couple things Bard! Flint has done an excellent job so far, so thank you Flint :-)

1) If he's 19, he'll need a reason to be older than most everybody in the school. Dante and Grace are 19 because they had to join the year below them due to schooling differences between the UK and USA. If he's 19, he would have had to be held back a year; if not, then his maximum age is 18.

2) Flint is exactly right; I don't mind him being a stoner, but if his grades are too low, he'd just get kicked out of school. So he needs to at least get the bare minimum to stay in, which is a C-average. Further, he needs to be more "Out there" than hiding in the corner. :P

As for his powers, Flint is correct; forcefields are out of the question. Personal and localised invisibility, though? That we can work with! Holding his breath at first is great, but what about at his Max Potential? How long can he hold the Invisibility, and how large can he make the Fields? Do the size of the fields affect how long he can maintain it? Or would it ONLY be by touch? Forcefields are a no; the power scale of the game isn't THAT high, and forcefields and invisibility are two entirely different powers. I'm afraid it would be one or the other.

FeveredDreams

Still got room?  I've had a concept for a character bubbling around in my brain that might work here.
Are you afraid of me now?

On's and Offs-  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171318.0

jeflint

To the best of my knowledge, yes. The boss hasn't told us we have an upper limit so you're safe to start the process. 😊

Vergil Tanner

mayovagn

Isolde Lenore Black

Sex: Female
Position: Student
Archetype: Nerd
Power Theme: Isi is able to manipulate time to a small extent around herself. She can slow it down to allow herself more time to act or reach a goal, even stop its passage completely for very brief periods. She can possibly develop this further, however this will take a lot of practice and experimentation. Doing so has great cost on her physically however and once normal time is resumed she is left physically and mentally weak, dehydrated and in dire need of calories. Her ability extends only to herself and is currently very limited in scope.
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

jeflint

Welcome Mayovagn.

Time manipulation huh? Always a personal favorite. 😊

So slows time around herself...
How far does this project from her body? Foot? Few inches? Skin level?
What sort of slow down are we talking?
You say briefly stop time, so that's the max obviously. Is the min just to make others seem slow? So "super speed"?
How long can she deal with this time flux?
What happens to anyone who's grabbed her prior and she activates her ability?
How does she interact with the world when it's frozen? Is she able to move things or have they become Chrono locked and can't move?
What's the specifics for how long she can pause time?

LOL sorry. 😅 Time manipulation is my favorite power because it branches and allows for some broken characters. It can "mimic" super speed if used correctly sure you maybe walking but in-between seconds you're covering huge distance. You can appear to be super smart because you can stop time and go read up on a subject, sure it might take a frozen month but it'll seem the blink of an eye and give the impression you have super intelligence. It can also make it appear as if you have super strength if you pause time right, exert a little force until a boulder has moved, might have taken a week but you mimicked super strength.

So naturally we'll want to ensure things are ok for all the characters. 😊

Can you tell me a little about the nerd in her? 😊 We have a lot of smart folks and the main aspect is Social Interaction so how sterotypical nerd is she?
The quiet bookworm who is scared to interact?
The brainy need who always comes in first in the science fair?
The obession driven need on a particular topic? Or is she just smart? 😊

mayovagn

Effects are very limited, just herself and whatever she is wearing small things she might be carrying.
A very small effect to the slow down at first, building slowly over time as she gains experience. So not enough to have her actually use the power particularly effectively at first.
Stopping time would be only under extremis as this would, yes, have her able to stomp on so many other abilities.
People grabbed prior? Well, maybe later she could bring folks along, at first? Likely they would not be too happy with a small part of their body briefly being pushed into a different time stream. At least nausea most like.
Moving things would be a great effort and she would have to be very careful indeed as the relative speed they would be moving compared to normal time would mean that it would be very easy for her to break things, though with them having a normal amount of friction/air pressure acting upon them while they would not be 'locked' they would be very hard to interact with if she can't extend the field around them.

Time manipulation is, yes, ripe for abuse and needs plot and story thinking and not to be allowed near munchkin's. I understand.

She is the kind of inquisitive, inquiring, open minded nerd, creative, reading, writing, exploring, but shy generally, not quick to be in the forefront of the action, but strong willed despite this, not liable to be swayed without compelling and reasoned argument. Likes history, computers, not so good at maths, some good interest in physics. Smart and shrewd. Is a sucker for romance stories, science fiction and trashy movies.

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

jeflint

How small of items? Say a pistol?
I think you'll need to explain the second "very small effect" sorry I didn't comprehend that sentence fully.
So if she uses her ability and thing 1 had grabbed her are you saying that they would experience a level of nausea forcing them to let go?
So if she interact with a door, she extends her field around it to move/interact with said item? When you say very easy for her to break things what exactly do you mean? 😊

Sounds like she'll be a fun nerd. But how shy? Will she be drawn into events with the others or would she prefer to stay in the library?

Just want to ensure your character has the same interaction chances as others.. while you've not said loner or wall flower still just trying to see how social she is? If Sasha or Grace approached her begging her to go to the school dance or if Cass was doing a piece on the Computer tech and she approached you for pictures how would you react?

mayovagn

A pistol yes, but not much more, a backpack at most, though Isi isn't fond of violence and the thought of committing harm to others is abhorrent to her so she would have serious moral objections to using her ability offensively.

Very small effect, she can consciously only slow things down by about a factor of four for a short period, perhaps a minute at most with great effort.

I imagine that having the cells in your body, especially your nerve cells, moving at a different rate of time to the rest of your body would cause all kinds of detrimental physical effects. Nerve cells sending a sudden storm of signals to the spinal cortex would surely cause all kinds of confusion and likely result in aches and pains, possibly nausea and confusion.

Since at first she wouldn't be able to extend her field much if at all, a whole door would be out of the picture, so any interacting she did with it would put it under a serious amount of real world stress as it would be very suddenly moving at an accelerated rate commensurate with Isi herself, making her liable to breaking things that she forced to interact with her in that state. Heat and stress through friction and air resistance just for starters.

She can be drawn out certainly, she is curious and interested in the world. She does want friends, she wants to be with others, she is just shy to open up and trust other people.

Isi would go to the dance but have to be persuaded to move from the wall to the dancefloor. Computer tech pieces she would be most likely to engage in more freely. She isn't a wall flower, but is an observer. She wants to engage in things, but also needs to assure herself that she is not going to wind up an object of ridicule. Which has happened in the past, she is not always the most co-ordinated.

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so! Power-wise...what, specifically, do you see her doing with this power? Slowing down time to give herself more time to think? Is it a mobile field that will allow her to duplicate the effects of Super Speed, or slow down objects coming towards her enough that they don't hurt as much? I mean, what kind of utility do you see this power having? How would she use it? Because after reading, that's one thing I'm somewhat unclear on. It might just be me being tired and busy, but it doesn't seem like that has been explained in any great depth. Further, how does time actually get affected? I assume it just speeds or slows HER down, in which case, how is it different to just having Super Speed (which we have already)? Is there a limit to how fast the field can move, or can it move as quickly as the individual? I mean, the field at the moment, if I understand it properly, is simulating the effects of three different powers. Super Speed, enhanced cognitive functions (it slows down time for her, giving her more time to think) and possibly even giving her the ability to slow down or stop small objects like bullets that she's moving faster than (at the height of her powers).

So what, specifically, can she do with her abilities, and what stops it from being overpowered, but doesn't neuter it too much that it's useless?

Or am I getting it wrong, and it's like a localised field, where everything inside the field is moving at a different speed, but the field itself can't be moved?

And what specifically are the drawbacks and limitations of this power? How is it balanced?

I guess I'm just having trouble getting my head around HOW this power is used, and what, specifically, it does. You've talked a lot about what she can bring with her, but you haven't really expanded on what this ability lets her do and how she would use it. As for "getting more experience over time," well, what do you see her Maximum Potential as being? How much can she slow down time and for how long a go at her MOST powerful? And how big is the Field and what can she take with her at maximum potential?

Basically, can you - beginning to end - explain this power and what it lets her do, how she does it and what her limitations are, assuming for a moment that she's at full power?

Also, I echo Jeflints concerns on her personality; we have quite a few shy nerds already, so...how is she different to the other more nerdy characters? What stops her from being a Wallflower that will have to be pushed to get involved? Obviously being a character driven game, getting involved is VERY important, so what will drive her and motivate her to not just be the person on the edge who nobody remembers?

Vergil Tanner

Ok, the seeking post has been updated! All are welcome!