Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2018, 05:08:51 PM
Lie detectors are infamously unreliable, admittedly. I dont think they are even legally admissible in court anymore.

She is still telling the truth though, IMO. Just that the detector is irrelevant.

Some states totally bar them, and some allow them so long as both involved parties agree to admit them.

Since I can't imagine Trump and company, the other party, agreeing to admit them as evidence, Stormy Daniels' polygraph is, at least in my opinion, indeed irrelevant.

Oniya

Sometimes it's more telling if someone is willing to take a polygraph.  It indicates either profound belief in one's statement, or profound arrogance at being able to fool the machine.  An utter psychopath can easily fool the machine because they won't get nervous answering the questions - whether they are telling the truth or lying.  Therefore, their body won't have the typical autonomic responses (respiration, heart rate, and skin conductivity - i.e., sweating - are the things that the machine is wired to monitor.)  On the other hand, someone who is upset may have these responses even when reciting the alphabet.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hades

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43509695

In news that was rumored but still frightening to see happen, Trump as decided to replace McMasters with John Bolton as his new National Security Advisor.

For those who may be unfamiliar, Bolton was one of the loudest cheerleaders for the US invasion of Iraq under the pretense that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.  And while the US was still mired in that mess, Bolton suggested that the US should go ahead and invade Iran as well, and North Korea to just take care of the entire "Axis of Evil" in one swift show of force.   

Which means that the Iran nuclear deal is very likely dead when the next certification deadline comes around.  Because Bolton has never meet a war he's not in favor of.

Sara Nilsson

So.. Trump has unveiled (I know a week ago) his slogan for the reelection. (http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/377795-trump-unveils-2020-campaign-slogan-keep-america-great) Keep America great. You know the tagline for the Purge, election year movie.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Hades on March 22, 2018, 08:43:30 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43509695

In news that was rumored but still frightening to see happen, Trump as decided to replace McMasters with John Bolton as his new National Security Advisor.

For those who may be unfamiliar, Bolton was one of the loudest cheerleaders for the US invasion of Iraq under the pretense that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.  And while the US was still mired in that mess, Bolton suggested that the US should go ahead and invade Iran as well, and North Korea to just take care of the entire "Axis of Evil" in one swift show of force.   

Which means that the Iran nuclear deal is very likely dead when the next certification deadline comes around.  Because Bolton has never meet a war he's not in favor of.

Yeah, I remember Bolton from the Bush II years.  His contempt for peaceful efforts and diplomacy were obvious, back then, in everything he said. :( I'm sure he hasn't changed...

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Listened to the president talk live.. scariest thing he wants is a line item veto

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 23, 2018, 03:38:14 PM
Listened to the president talk live.. scariest thing he wants is a line item veto

What do you mean, line items? What, and for whom?

Avis habilis

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 23, 2018, 03:45:46 PM
What do you mean, line items? What, and for whom?

It means he wants to go through the budget line by line & say "this thing here? get rid of it". The President can only sign or veto entire bills, not make his own edits.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 23, 2018, 03:49:50 PM
It means he wants to go through the budget line by line & say "this thing here? get rid of it". The President can only sign or veto entire bills, not make his own edits.

Okay, thanks! :)

persephone325

My dad showed me a video that CBS took down from YouTube where Colbert had Trump on his show very early on in the race. My dad was like "Look at how he's supporting him, but now all he does is bash him."

To me, it looked very tongue and cheek and you can tell by his body language and inflection that he was kinda being sarcastic and stuff. But my dad wasn't hearing any of that. As much as he talks about reading body language and tone of speech, my dad seems to be in denial.

Does anyone know the clip I'm talking about?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 23, 2018, 03:49:50 PM

Not just budgets. He could ‘edit’ a law by vetoing sections of it.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 23, 2018, 04:41:43 PM
Not just budgets. He could ‘edit’ a law by vetoing sections of it.

Or even have individual words and bits of sentences in a law removed? I remember hearing about something like that from Minnesota I think (the "Frankenveto"?).

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 23, 2018, 05:14:44 PM
Or even have individual words and bits of sentences in a law removed? I remember hearing about something like that from Minnesota I think (the "Frankenveto"?).

Exactly, all depends on the scope of the veto. I do not think it is a wise thing to consider

Oniya

Just for reference (since not everyone is familiar), the presidential 'line item veto' was ruled unconstitutional in 1998, since it basically allowed something to come out of the President's office that the Legislative branch hadn't been able to check or balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_v._City_of_New_York

George W. Bush tried to bring it back by making the line-item veto more of a 'request' to Congress (individual strikes would require a simple majority vote to be 'struck'), but Congress didn't care for that idea either.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Iniquitous

Here we go again..... he's banning transgendered people from the military.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43525549
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Iniquitous on March 24, 2018, 08:56:12 AM
Here we go again..... he's banning transgendered people from the military.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43525549

Didn’t he already lose this?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 24, 2018, 09:04:22 AM

That's an alternative fact.

Iniquitous

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 24, 2018, 09:04:22 AM

He did, now he is trying it a different way.  Proof that this man doesn't know what the meaning of the word "no" is.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

persephone325

I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Callie Del Noire

persephone325

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 24, 2018, 11:50:48 PM
The reply is so full of awesome..words fail me

^^ It was on my Tumblr, and I hadn't been on there in forever.

At the risk of backlash, I also posted it to my FB - just because I'm sick of the crap.
I don't know.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 24, 2018, 11:50:48 PM
The reply is so full of awesome..words fail me

Both of those twitter posts are great.

Trump often gets replies on his twitter rants that are very funny and perceptive - he is being upstaged by some of his followers all the time! :D  Unfortunately the Donald is still the one at the main lever, but that has to change in time.

TheGlyphstone

So for those who haven't heard, Mike Pence's wife and daughter co-wrote and illustrated a children's book called Marlon Bundo's: A Day in the Life of the Vice President, starring the Pence family's pet rabbit as he spends a day following the Vice-President around at work. It's currently at #9 on Amazon's best-seller list.

Not to be outdone, John Oliver and one of the writers for his show created a children's book called A Day In The Life Of Marlon Bundo, starring the Pence family's pet rabbit as he falls in love with another male bunny. It's currently at #1 on Amazon's best-seller list.

Sara Nilsson

Oliver also donates all the money to the Trevor Project and hm i can't remember the name for the HIV project. So its all for a good cause :)

TheGlyphstone

Trevor Project and AIDS United.

Though for full disclosure, a portion of the non-parody book also goes to charities - Tracy's Kids and A21.