a few questions for music lovers

Started by rick957, August 25, 2011, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick957

Are you a music fan?  What I mean by that is, do you care about music, not only as background accompaniment, but as something meaningful that can potentially change your whole fucking life?  If you're in the background noise camp, actually, I wouldn't mind hearing from you too, but mostly this post is a question for people who care strongly about music.

Question 1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  If you have favorite musical groups (bands or solo artists), please name a few of them.  If you're willing to rank them by personal preference, all the better.
2:  Where do you look to find new songs or new groups to listen to?  For example, do you rely on word of mouth, or a particular radio station/internet site/magazine/TV show, or something else?
3:  Do you spend money (directly or indirectly) on the artists or songs you like the most?  Or do you enjoy the music in some way that doesn't require any money to be spent, such as downloading free songs or pirated songs?  Absolutely no judgment here, I really want to know.
4 (strictly optional):  How old are you?
5 (optional):  Please tell me about any one song or album or musical artist that affected you in a deeply personal way.  Go into as much or as little detail as you like -- I'm interested.

I am a big music fan, and the questions above are great sources of curiosity to me, particularly because I'm no longer a young person by most estimations, so I feel out of touch with the lives of young people, especially those under about 25.  (Old fogeys like me are very welcome to respond too though!)

Thanks in advance for any responses, and a special thank-you to the first responder, whose initiative may help a lot to garner further participation.  :)

kikideru

1. I do not tend to favour any one particular musician, or band, although I certainly have a few whom make music which I like across most, if not all of their albums. I am more of an eclectic when it comes to music however and find myself preferring songs, rather than artists. However, rating songs for me is a very hard thing to do, since my fancy changes every so often. Here is the list of some of the songs that have stayed with me through thick and thin though:

a. Kansas - Carry on My Wayward Son
b. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
c. Republika - Biala Flaga
d. Giuseppe Tartini - The Devil's Trill Sonata
e. Annie Lennox - Little Bird
f. Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster Stronger
g. Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt

I don't look for songs neccessarily... Sometimes when I hear something interesting, or remember some tune long forgotten. I tend to find my songs by listening to the radio, watching youtube videos, listening to my mom's and friends' music, when I go to the bar, or even the movies.

3. I have no money (to spend on frivolities at least), so I usually just pirate all of my music, or copy it off of my mom's and friends' discs if they have something I want for my mp3 player.

4. I'm 19.

5. There hasn't been a single piece of music that affected me fundamentally in any way, but I do love music. I think it is very important, whether it's a background noise, or a source of inspiration, or a source of calmness and other emotions.
"I do not spew profanities I enunciate them clearly, like a fucking lady"

My O/Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=131220.0

rick957

Sooo kewl.  :)  Thanks so much for your response!  I can tell already that this thread will be of enormous interest to me, at least, whether or not lots of other people happen by.  I'll probably say a thing or two in response to certain posts, but I'm gonna wait to do that, in the hopes that one or two others might contribute their remarks.  It's funny, though -- I must say, outside of this site, I would never be able to pick the brain of a 19-year-old woman about her musical tastes, for the simple reason that I don't socialize with any 19-year-olds, so it's unbelievably awesome to get a peek into a 19-year-old mind this way.  Props to the site for making it possible.  :)  Hope to hear from anybody else out there too!

meikle

polls!

here are some answers:

#1: I enjoy groups/artists/etc.  There aren't many situations where I only like a single song by a given artist (excepting cases where I only ever hear a single song or whatever), but I guess there are some (Spiderbait is probably a good example of a group with one song that I enjoy amidst lots of stuff that I don't.)  Here are some of my favorites (I was going to link to my favorite song from each of them, but apparently any link to Youtube results in it slapping the video right into the post :\ ):

Regina Spektor (probably my single favorite artist)
Cake Bake Betty (who became FIELDED and started making music that makes my ears bleed)
The Dresden Dolls (and also Amanda Palmer's solo stuff)
KMFDM(for a nice swing away from upbeat female vocals!)
Mindless Self Indulgence (for a nice swing away from music that has merit)

And lots more, naturally, but those are the musics I listen to the most.  It's not very inclusive; I also enjoy pop (Lady Gaga and Kesha get a lot of play lately), some country (everyone like Johnny Cash, right?), old rock (The Who and Rush have a place in my heart or at least my imagination for Tommy and 2112, respectively), etc.  Most of the rap in my itunes log is Lady Sovereign.

#2 www.pandora.com

#3 I listen to songs on youtube if I want to hear a particular song that I don't own.  Otherwise, I buy CDs or (more and more often) just buy albums on itunes or from amazon.com.

#4 I'm 22.

#5 Regina Spektor- The ghost of Coorporate Future

If I had to say that any individual song had actually impacted the way I think or behave, I have to say that this would be it.  "People are just people, people are just people like you."  It is so upbeat, and I love that.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Kuroneko

Question 1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  

I have favorite groups/artists and favorite songs, lol.  Favorite groups include:

Jethro Tull (absolute favorite)
The Beatles
Oingo Boingo
The Ramones
Rob Zombie
Marilyn Manson
Duran Duran
Rachid Taha
Linkin Park
The Eurhythmics
Annie Lennox
Brian Setzer
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Clannad
Smash Mouth
Daft Punk
Fluke
Flogging Molly
The Dead Kennedys
Siouxie and the Banshees
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Green Day
My Chemical Romance
Nine Inch Nails
Ray Charles
Billy Idol
Big Pig
Sting
Tons of Irish groups
Tons or Arabic groups (I bellydance ;) )

2:  Where do you look to find new songs or new groups to listen to?  For example, do you rely on word of mouth, or a particular radio station/internet site/magazine/TV show, or something else?

All of the above, but word of mouth and the radio are more influential, followed by browsing amazon.

3:  Do you spend money (directly or indirectly) on the artists or songs you like the most?  Or do you enjoy the music in some way that doesn't require any money to be spent, such as downloading free songs or pirated songs?  Absolutely no judgment here, I really want to know.

I always buy my music, though I hvae downloaded free songs on amazon.  I do not participate or support pirating as I wouldn't want my own artwork or source of incoming stolen from me. 

I'm 46

5 (optional):  Please tell me about any one song or album or musical artist that affected you in a deeply personal way.  Go into as much or as little detail as you like -- I'm interested.

I think that Jethro Tull had the most influence on me, as I am a flautist and spend many an hour practicing with the records until I could play my flute like Ian Anderson.  I'm not bad, if I do say so myself.  Irish music is also very influential as I play the tin whistle.  Finally, I am very fond of Arabic music because of bellydancing.  There is something about the beat and the exotic istruments of tribal music that I really love.

Favorite song: Cold Wind to Valhalla by Jethro Tull, followed closely by Eleanor Rigby, by the Beatles. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Haloriel

Question 1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?

A: I have favoured periods in music - though there are a few artists/composers that really manage the sweet spot for me.  My tastes run a long list as one whom has studied music for years - though tend to rest firmly in the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic periods - think Bach/Handel, Mozart/Haydn, and Beethoven/Brahms respectively.  However, I do have an enjoyment of Renaissance period music - the Englishman John Dowland is one that I adored.  I love opera very much, though general concertos, sonatas are something I also enjoy.  Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky are a couple of others on my long long list. 

As to more modern selections: I will listen happily to anything by the Beatles; I thought (and still think) that Elvis(early), and Johnny Cash were brilliant.  Marvin Gaye, absolutely anything in Gaelic - my favourite Irish groups are Clannad, the late Altan, and Cherish the Ladies.  I also enjoy some rock - though I haven't any favourites in that genre.  Swing and Big Band sorts are fantastic - and Ella Fitzgerald was one of my absolute favourite vocal entertainers.

Question 2:Where do you look to find new songs or new groups to listen to?  For example, do you rely on word of mouth, or a particular radio station/internet site/magazine/TV show, or something else?

A: Pretty much anywhere, and I always take suggestions to listen to new music.

Question 3:Do you spend money (directly or indirectly) on the artists or songs you like the most?  Or do you enjoy the music in some way that doesn't require any money to be spent, such as downloading free songs or pirated songs?  Absolutely no judgement here, I really want to know.

A: Purchase, always.  And Itunes generally.

Question 4 (strictly optional):How old are you?

A: I am just turned twenty eight this July.

Question 5 (optional):  Please tell me about any one song or album or musical artist that affected you in a deeply personal way.  Go into as much or as little detail as you like -- I'm interested.

Tchaikovsky's Sixth Symphony has great meaning for me.  I first discovered it - and my adoration of this genre at the tender age of seven.  My mother had a recording of it - and especially the third movement ... the Allegro con grazia.  It was during my parents divorce that I discovered it, having had difficulty being the stronger, older sibling and explaining things to my three year old sister about ... adults and their silliness.  It was this piece of music that granted me solace - and while I did not realise it then, strength.  Have a listen if you please - I hope that some of you enjoy it as much as I.  As a result of my own experiences, I have been singing art song and musical selections to my son since before he was ever born.  Every night, my husband and will sing him to sleep, together.  Presently my three year olds preference is Moon River, and Edelweiss.

Tchaikovsky's 6th; 3rd Movement

rick957

Holy shit thanks for all the responses.  :)  I'm going to say a word or two in response to various posts, and I encourage anyone else visiting this thread to do the same if you like (besides posting your own answers to the questions!).

@kikideru

It's almost too perfect, you are my conceptual idea of the modern music fan.  :)  Your tastes are ridiculously eclectic and sometimes obscure, you're comfortable focusing on songs as much or more than artists, you pirate rather than purchase (so many people do!  I've done it too), and yet, in spite of all those distinctive habits that have become popular with younger folks, you still are able to connect deeply with the music you love.  I only hope that the world is full of young music lovers like you.  I think people older than you had different ways of finding their music and thinking about music, but there's no harm in changing those things as long as the personal connection is still there.  IMO.  Also props to you for your stylistic diversity; I have met many music fans but can't think of another single person who would like all of the songs you listed!  I love it.  (I didn't recognize every song you mentioned, but enough to say that safely.  Rammstein and Annie Lennox!?!  Fuck yeah!  hehe)

@meikle

As with kikideru, your eclecticism thrills me.  :)  Any fan of Johnny Cash is already alright in my book!  (How is it possible that two Cash fans have already posted here?  Well, three, counting moi)  I had heard of Regina Spektor but had only heard one or two songs before, neither as good as the one you linked.  For me, she brings to mind her recent piano-playing pop predecessors -- (in reverse chronological order) Nellie McKay, Fiona Apple, and Tori Amos -- though she also had her own stylistic quirks that I couldn't place elsewhere, as any serious artist should have.  Everyone who has posted has mentioned artists I didn't expect to find other fans of -- in your case, those artists were Rush and Cash.  :)  May I tell you that I had the privilege of seeing the Dresden Dolls open for Nine Inch Nails?  They rocked (both bands).  As if the Dresden Dolls weren't awesome enough on their own, they covered a Black Sabbath tune to seal the deal and win my everlasting devotion.

@Kuroneko

Aargh, I can't believe how diverse and refined your tastes are.  :)  You like some bands that I don't personally care for -- because I'm so opinionated about music, most people I talk to about music like something or other that I don't, and other things that I do -- but anyone who knows who Oingo Boingo even is is alright in my book!  Also I'm shocked that you're a fan of bands from so many different eras of pop music.  You know how to belly dance and play flute and consider Jethro Tull (of all bands!) your personal favorite group??  I am utterly smitten with your level of idiosyncracy and individuality.  I'm going to look up that Tull song you cited, if for no other reason than that I must hear any song that could be possibly be ranked above "Eleanor Rigby," for God's sake!

@Haloriel

Thank God there are still people becoming fans of classical music somewhere.  :)  Not to mislead you, I don't consider myself a fan of classical music, simply because I've had very little exposure to it, but I have enormous respect and even awe for those who have spent time with that genre and been able to connect with it on a very personal level.  I don't personally make a habit of watching videos online or listening to music online, but I loved watching your linked video (and kikideru's) ... God, what a complex and beautiful ritual that surrounds the performance of orchestral music ... The conductor's idiosyncratic gestures and facial expressions, I found terribly moving.  And, somehow, you're able to enjoy both Tchaikovsky and Marvin Gaye ... most charming!

I know a little bit about most of the artists mentioned by all the posters so far, mostly because I worked in a music store for a few years, and I must say, the variety of styles mentioned in this thread has been so pleasing.  When I was a young'un in the early 80s, it was unheard-of for the same person to listen to three or four different styles of music; nowadays it seems to be becoming just as rare to find people who stick to only one style, as most people used to.  Personally I've become a fan of one or two artists in almost every existing genre of pop music, and that used to make me seem unusually open-minded and erudite, but I guess I'm not so special any more!  It's great to see.

Anyone stopping by is welcome to post your responses to the questions or even participate in some discussion or remark on other people's answers (as I have here) ... It's huge fun for me, chatting and learning about all this interesting music.  Thanks for stopping by and sharing.  :)

Lilias

#1. I tend to be drawn into genres, and then, because I simply can't stay on the surface of something I like, I start digging beyond the big names. I have been a hard rock/heavy metal fan since my early teens; over the last decade I have gravitated towards the sub-genres of gothic/symphonic/female-fronted metal. On the other hand, I adore Celtic music, neoclassical/neofolk acts, medieval (or at least medievally inspired) chant, and some modern instrumentalists. If there is one single element that can make or break my enjoyment of a kind of music, that is the voice. Non-vocal music tends to bore me, while a superior voice - preferably female - can draw me into pockets of musical reality where I wouldn't have ventured by myself.

Favourite bands/artists include Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Epica, Whitesnake, Savatage, Within Temptation, Shadow Gallery, Paradise Lost, HIM, Clannad, Loreena McKennitt, Kate Bush, Yanni, Vangelis, Blackmore's Night, Secret Garden, Mylene Farmer, Dead Can Dance, The Mission, Lacuna Coil, Shinedown, Qntal, Adiemus, Anonymous 4, Indica, and a gazillion more, according to my Last.fm.

#2. I used to listen to the radio a lot, keeping a notepad and pen close to jot down names and titles I liked, to look them up later. Now I rely mostly on the 'similar' feature and suggestions on Last.fm and Amazon.

#3. I download anything I can get my hands on for free, legally or not, and proceed to buy what I like most. I still like having the artist's complete vision, artwork, booklets and all.

#4. I'm 39.

#5. Whitesnake's self-titled 1987 album was a major landmark for me. I was 15 the summer it came out, a very eventful summer for me and mine. It was the first album I came across that I loved as a whole - not a single duff track on it. I finally was fluent enough in English to understand effortlessly what the lyrics said. Most of all, it introduced me to an amazing singer, who remains my favourite of all time, regardless of genre, to this day. It was the combination of all those elements that made this work hit me so hard, and 24 years later, it still hasn't palled. I doubt it ever will.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kuroneko

Quote from: rick957 on August 26, 2011, 07:25:10 AM

@Kuroneko

Aargh, I can't believe how diverse and refined your tastes are.  :)  You like some bands that I don't personally care for -- because I'm so opinionated about music, most people I talk to about music like something or other that I don't, and other things that I do -- but anyone who knows who Oingo Boingo even is is alright in my book!  Also I'm shocked that you're a fan of bands from so many different eras of pop music.  You know how to belly dance and play flute and consider Jethro Tull (of all bands!) your personal favorite group??  I am utterly smitten with your level of idiosyncracy and individuality.  I'm going to look up that Tull song you cited, if for no other reason than that I must hear any song that could be possibly be ranked above "Eleanor Rigby," for God's sake!

Not only do I know who Oingo Boingo is, I've met them, I've seen them three times in concert and knew them when they were the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo ;) .

LOL, I left out a lot of other, more obscure bands like Abney Park, Beats Antique, Meat Beat Manifesto, Adam and the Ants, Echo and the Bunnymen, A Flock of Seagulls, The Waitresses, Romeo Void and The Escape Club, along with some other faves like Salt N Pepa, Hoobastank, Finger Eleven, Aerosmith, Evanescence, Cyndi Lauper, Godsmack, David Bowie, Heart, The Kinks, The Cure, The Cars, Rage Against the Machine, Fatboy Slim, Queen, Kate Bush, Lorenna McKennit and Jen Titus ;). I also adore a variety of classical music as well as bagpipes, as my dad was an excellent player.

I'm happy to be a musical conundrum :P

meikle

Quote from: rick957 on August 26, 2011, 07:25:10 AMMay I tell you that I had the privilege of seeing the Dresden Dolls open for Nine Inch Nails?  They rocked (both bands)

You may, but I might kill you out of envy. :(  I haven't seen many bands live that I, personally, wanted to see -- mostly the live shows I've been to have been because my friends wanted to see them (so that covers shows like Mudvayne, Slayer and Hatebreed, Local H (which I enjoyed pretty well, really), and so on.  I did see Kittie live with a friend and that introduced me to Coheed and Cambria, who opened for them (and that was awesome), and I saw Mindless Self Indulgence live and it was awesome, and introduced me to The Birthday Massacre (who opened for MSI), and that was awesome too.

I am rambling because nobody ever asks me to talk about what kind of music I like. :p
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Kuroneko

You know, I forget who opened for NIN when I saw them, lol.

Aiden

Quote from: rick957 on August 25, 2011, 09:58:01 PM
Are you a music fan?  What I mean by that is, do you care about music, not only as background accompaniment, but as something meaningful that can potentially change your whole fucking life?  If you're in the background noise camp, actually, I wouldn't mind hearing from you too, but mostly this post is a question for people who care strongly about music.

Question 1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  If you have favorite musical groups (bands or solo artists), please name a few of them.  If you're willing to rank them by personal preference, all the better.

1. Social Distortion
2. Rise Against
3. Incubus
4. Frank Sinatra
5. Jay Z
6. Metallica
7. Slipknot
8. Justin Timblerlake
9. Marron 5

I jump between radio stations, in my area it is Star 94.1, Rock 1053 and 93.3 (So cal radio stations)

All my listed artist, I have bought their CD's, but I do pirate music to put onto my phone as well. Itunes can blow me.

"This Time Darlin" By Social Distortion
I had a girl I thought I loved cheat on me when I moved home with my parents for about a year after high school. I would commute to visit her and my friends until I found out she was fucking my alleged best friend behind my back. I got violent (with him) and told the slut to fuck off and fell into a wicked depression. (I was pretty stupid and in love with her). I heard this song on the radio and it healed my soul, found out who they where and just became a massive fan for over five years now.

"Ghost Town Blues"- Was the "rebirth" I guess, it was me clawing my way out of my depression and a pretty personal song to me now.

I am a big music fan, and the questions above are great sources of curiosity to me, particularly because I'm no longer a young person by most estimations, so I feel out of touch with the lives of young people, especially those under about 25.  (Old fogeys like me are very welcome to respond too though!)

Thanks in advance for any responses, and a special thank-you to the first responder, whose initiative may help a lot to garner further participation.  :)

Oniya

Styx is probably tops on my list.  In no particular order after that, in the classic rock field: Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Damn Yankees, Night Ranger, Ted Nugent, Triumph, and Yes.  Outside classic rock, I'll add in Loreena McKennitt, Dar Williams, and Jason Becker.

Pandora has been useful to me.  Also, co-headliners and other 'degree of separation' chains.  For example, Tommy Shaw left Styx for a time and released a couple albums with Ted Nugent and Jack Blades, bringing Night Ranger into my auditory circle.  Dennis DeYoung released an album of Broadway songs, which added Chess and Les Miz to my collection.

I have purchased copies of each album up through Cyclorama, including solo albums from DeYoung, Shaw, Young, and Burtnik.  I have also bought t-shirts and concert tickets.  The little Oni got a hand-painted (by me!) 'Brave New World' onesie at 7 weeks.  That concert was viewed from the lawn.

Shan't answer ;)

The song would be Styx's 'Come Sail Away'.  Mr. Oniya and I (before he was Mr. Oniya) were attending a concert, and had 2nd row seats (Hershey Park, PA - Kansas opened for them, and we were close enough for Steve Walsh to sweat on us).  There had been a number of 'harder' songs, and everyone was on their feet.  As Dennis DeYoung headed for the piano and started the slower song, everyone sat down.  Feeling that this was unfair, I not only stayed on my feet, but hauled Mr. Oniya up with me.  He couldn't help but see us, and I'm sure that the smile I saw as we sang along was a reaction to that.

I later learned that was the moment that Mr. Oniya decided he was going to ask his grandmother for the ring he'd been promised for his fiancee.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

QuoteQuestion 1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  If you have favorite musical groups (bands or solo artists), please name a few of them.  If you're willing to rank them by personal preference, all the better.

Definitely bands/artists.

Tom Waits ( my favorite, hands down )
Turisas
Dropkick Murphys

Quote2:  Where do you look to find new songs or new groups to listen to?  For example, do you rely on word of mouth, or a particular radio station/internet site/magazine/TV show, or something else?

Finding new groups is actually a problem for me. I often discover new bands by looking at "related artists" to what I listen to, but more often than not I stop listening to what I find after a while. Only rarely do I discover something I actually like and continue to listen to for more than a few days. There's no particular way through which I discover new music.

Quote3:  Do you spend money (directly or indirectly) on the artists or songs you like the most?  Or do you enjoy the music in some way that doesn't require any money to be spent, such as downloading free songs or pirated songs?  Absolutely no judgment here, I really want to know.

I listen to most of my music through Spotify, a service that ( either for a fee or through ads - I pay, but not much ) lets you listen to all the music you want. The selection is limited to what they've been able to license, but it's good.

Quote4 (strictly optional):  How old are you?

Quote5 (optional):  Please tell me about any one song or album or musical artist that affected you in a deeply personal way.  Go into as much or as little detail as you like -- I'm interested.

I would have to go with Tom Waits' first album, Closing Time. It's infused with a lot of loneliness, and I listened to it through a very lonely year. One song in particular, Martha, echoed fairly well my situation with a girl I knew, who that year became my girlfriend. It didn't last, for reasons outside our control. That just made the song even truer.

Tsais

Music! My favorite thing to talk about!

QuoteQuestion 1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  If you have favorite musical groups (bands or solo artists), please name a few of them.  If you're willing to rank them by personal preference, all the better.

I tend to have favorite groups. I'll first hear a song, then start listening more to the artist and discover more in their style that I love (generally). Very rarely do I have a favorite song instead of a favorite artist.

Here's a list of some artists that I'd all rank as my number 1 favorites with songs in parentheses after the artist name:
Opeth (Harlequin Forest, Ending Credits, Serenity Painted Death)
3 (Trust, These Iron Bones, You've Been Shot)
Orphaned Land (Halo Dies, Bereft of the Abyss, The Beloved's Cry)
Porcupine Tree (Bonnie the Cat, Stranger by the Minute, Arriving Somewhere but not Here)
Scott Joplin (Solace, Swipesy Cakewalk, Peacherine Rag)
Cynic (Evolutionary Sleeper, King of Those Who Know)

Some other artists I love, but not number 1 ranking:
Korpiklaani
Tool
Finntroll
Daath
Mt. Eden
Symphony X
Alkan
Mastodon
Novembre
Katatonia
Strapping Young Lad
Los Lobotomys
Pink Floyd
Rush

Quote2:  Where do you look to find new songs or new groups to listen to?  For example, do you rely on word of mouth, or a particular radio station/internet site/magazine/TV show, or something else?

I actually live with a person whose music tastes run very similar to my own, but on top of that, he also enjoys music much the same way I do, so I get a lot of suggestions from him. I also get some suggestions from my cousin and my dad. I get most of my bands from the intranets, whether it is through word of mouth from official band forums (which can be a great place to get music), checking out some of the favorite bands of my favorite artists, or sites like Pandora and youtube. I used to get suggestions from Music Choice, but my tastes diverged from what is popular, and I no longer find much I like and haven't heard anymore from Music Choice. I have found three bands I now love due to co-headliners. I've loved Opeth for years and have gone to see a few of their concerts. At the first I fell in love with 3 and in like with Dream Theater.

Quote3:  Do you spend money (directly or indirectly) on the artists or songs you like the most?  Or do you enjoy the music in some way that doesn't require any money to be spent, such as downloading free songs or pirated songs?  Absolutely no judgment here, I really want to know.

I spend money. I've been playing music for 14 years, so I understand the struggle to play and produce music, but I also know that musicians get very little from record sales. However, I feel that my legal purchasing of music is a strong way of showing companies that I like these bands, please give me more and you can have more of my money. I vote for more Opeth, more 3, more Orphaned Land with my dollar. I also feel that it is just the right thing to do.

Quote4 (strictly optional):  How old are you?

Quote5 (optional):  Please tell me about any one song or album or musical artist that affected you in a deeply personal way.  Go into as much or as little detail as you like -- I'm interested.

Opeth's Ghost Reveries changed the way I perceived music. I was 14 when I got it and it blew my mind. At that time I was into pretty standard metal and straight death metal. I bought Ghost Reveries thinking it was just another death metal album, if a bit more melodic than most, due to the HORRIFIC cut of The Grand Conjuration that is paired with the terrible, nonsense video. I got it, listened to it, and found something totally different and so much better than what I'd originally thought I had gotten. The songs were long, longer than I'd ever listened to before and the music woke so much emotion in me. I resonated with the music, it didn't matter what the subject matter was, I was there and I felt it. Songs made me tremble, exult, and cry. It started me into progressive rock and metal and paved the way for me to appreciate and love genres like fusion and ragtime. Ghost Reveries also helped me realize that art, for me, must awaken deep emotion in me for me to truly enjoy it. I've always loved music, but not with the deep conviction that I now do, and that album helped me get here.
[Ons&Offs]
As she laughed I was aware of becoming involved in her laughter and being part of it, until her teeth were only accidental stars with a talent for squad-drill. I was drawn in by short gasps, inhaled at each momentary recovery, lost finally in the dark caverns of her throat, bruised by the ripple of unseen muscles. An elderly waiter with trembling hands was hurriedly spreading a pink and white checked cloth over a rusty green iron table, saying: "If the lady and gentleman wish to take their tea in the garden, if the lady and gentleman wish to take their tea in the garden..." I decided that if the shaking of her breasts could be stopped, some of the fragments of the afternoon might be collected, and I concentrated my attention with careful subtlety to this end.
[Entertain Me]

rick957

QuoteMusic! My favorite thing to talk about!

Aargh, mine too!  Or darn close at least.  I am a hopeless music nerd -- enough so that this entire silly thread just delights me to no end.  Is that sad?  Eh, I don't care.  :)

@Lilias

What you said about your interest in music vocals made me wonder -- do you have a particular male or female vocalist whose voice you find more amazing than anyone else's?  I have one of each (music nerd here, remember?), and I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.  :)

Oh wait, duh, you already mentioned your favorite vocalist of all time!  Sorry.  I was responding before I finished reading your whole post.  I'm not a Whitesnake fan personally, having heard only their biggest hits, but nevertheless I've always found "Here I Go Again" to be irresistibly thrilling.  Whether or not one considers hair metal a bit silly -- and I'll admit, I do, although that hasn't stopped me from enjoying songs here and there -- that particular track is pure power-chord bliss.

My only other memory connected to Whitesnake (again I don't know their work well) has to do with Tawny Kitaen doing splits atop a convertible or something.  Crap, I got an erection just from saying that.  Excuse me a 'sec! ...

(Oh, in case anybody cares:  Sarah McLachlan for the female, and for male, it's a tie between Sting and Steve Winwood; although all of those artists have lots of music I detest, they also have lots of music I adore, and I have yet to find others whose raw vocals please me as much.  On the other hand, if your favorite vocalist is Stevie Wonder or Peter Gabriel or Tom Waits or Chuck D or any other of a few dozen people, I wouldn't argue with you one bit.)  (As to David Coverdale -- not a personal fave, but hey, it's individuality like that that makes learning about other people's musical tastes so wonderfully fascinating.  'Nuff said.)

@Kuroneko

One of the most glaring things I'm learning from this thread is that the eclecticism in my personal musical tastes is nowhere near as unusual as I would have thought; you're just one of the people here whose tastes might actually be even broader than mine, which is really a wonderful and inspiring thing to see.  Props to musical conundrums everywhere.  :)

@Aiden

From reading this post and others from you in various places, it looks to me like you enjoy flaunting some of your stereotypically hyper-masculine traits, so I'm impressed that you will publicly confess to being a fan of pansy-asses like Justin Timberlake and Maroon 5 -- Sinatra wouldn't let those fuckers shine his shoes, fer chrissake!

(FYI I love Frank and like something or other about both J.T. and Maroon 5.)

As to your top artist.  I heard "Ball and Chain" one time in 1989 and have worshipped Social D ever since.  Rock the fuck on.  :)

Don't go nowhere, I'm gonna respond to other posts later on, just 'cause I started the damn thread, and 'cause I love talking about music way too much.  More posts from more peoples are also totally welcome.

Lilias

Quote from: rick957 on August 29, 2011, 11:15:17 AM
(Oh, in case anybody cares:  Sarah McLachlan for the female, and for male, it's a tie between Sting and Steve Winwood; although all of those artists have lots of music I detest, they also have lots of music I adore, and I have yet to find others whose raw vocals please me as much.  On the other hand, if your favorite vocalist is Stevie Wonder or Peter Gabriel or Tom Waits or Chuck D or any other of a few dozen people, I wouldn't argue with you one bit.)  (As to David Coverdale -- not a personal fave, but hey, it's individuality like that that makes learning about other people's musical tastes so wonderfully fascinating.  'Nuff said.)

Heh. :-) Coverdale is an English bluesman at heart, and despite the runaway success of the hair metal phase, the blues are where he started and where he keeps returning. I heartily recommend Starkers in Tokyo; it's a decade and several light years away from 1987.

As for the female voices that send shivers up and down my spine, there has to be a triple tie there: Simone Simons, Loreena McKennitt and Maire Brennan. I suspect that, beyond ability, each one is so effective because her voice is placed precisely where it was meant to be.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

rick957

Ooo, back-to-back posts from the guy who started the thread.  That doesn't bode well.  :(  Have I already run out of new people interested in responding to the thread?  Or did my semi-snarky, smart-ass responses put people off?  Or is it just a coincidence, and other people may yet happen by and respond to the thread?  I hope it's the latter, but who can tell?  Anyways, I got time to post, so here's some more responses to things for anybody interested in a bit of PbP-chitchat.  :)  (Oh wait, duh, Lilias posted here last, not me.  Thank you Lilias!)

@Oniya

God, what a charmed life you must lead.  :)  I know that's not always true, for you or for any of us, but your musical remembrance was just amazing, picturing you and future Mr. O defying the complacency around you in that moment and giving crowd love to Dennis DeYoung.  There are so many remarkable things happening simultaneously in that anecdote that it's almost hard to believe, except that I've had comparable experiences myself at concerts, or nearly-similar ones, at least -- moments that easily count among the most mind-blowing cherished experiences of my life.  Those are the kinds of moments that music-listening and music-fandom can make possible for people.  I was thinking over the comment Aiden made above about how a piece of music affected his "soul," I think was what he said ... It's that kind of language that one has to resort to, because there aren't commonplace words to describe the effects music can have on a person, in those rare and priceless instances.  I hope and pray that younger people will be able to enjoy such moments as well, in spite of all the dramatic changes and problems in the music industry over the years.  Not to mention, I wouldn't mind having a few more such moments myself!  :)  Thanks so much for your comments, Oniya.

@Hemingway

Holy shit, another Tom Waits fan!  Never know when or where we're gonna turn up.  :)  You have completely made my day, sir -- I'm not kidding at all -- simply because you're a 21-year-old who knows and loves Tom Waits.  I often fear that the great artists I listen to will disappear into obscurity because younger people are no longer exposed to their genius in the ways that I was; actually, sad to say, I've already watched that happen to more geniuses than I care to count ... But you know, if there are still 21-year-olds out there getting into Tom Waits somehow, some way, then the world must be doing alright after all, IMO.

You and many folks here talked about the ways that people find new music or struggle to do so.  I'm pleased to learn that others do some of the same things I've done, in terms of seeking out artists who are somehow connected to the artists you already love, whether by working with those artists or even just being influenced by them.  It's another practice I hope younger folks are still doing out there somewhere, to help them learn about all the great music that they can't learn about any more from listening to the radio or watching MTV or going to cheap concerts, as we oldsters did.

Many if not most of my favorite artists have some "degrees-of-separation" link to each other ... In fact, one of my best friends long ago had a game he'd made of the whole process, something like "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon," except his was "Six Degrees of Brian Eno" or someone else really obscure and ubiquitous like that ... He could plug in absolutely anybody in the music world (maybe outside of it too) and get back to Eno (or whoever it was), usually in just three or four steps.  Yes, believe it or not, some people are bigger music nerds than I am! ...

Hemingway, I had a genuine LOL over your remarks about "Martha," which has to be in the running for Most Heart-Wrenching Wrist-Slashing Mega-Depressing Song EVER.  :)  (I love it too.)

By the way, lots and lots of people here have mentioned artists whose music I know nothing about.  Getting to know new music is a slooow process for me -- I've got a few hundred purchased CDs that I'm behind on listening to already! -- but I plan to eventually look up each of these unfamiliar artists and get a taste of their music, so it's a real service you're doing by sharing your favorites here, for me at least.  I expect I'll find more than one new artist I like from the research process, once I get around to it.

I'm going to use Tsais's post as an excuse to blab further about my musical opinions, but I'm going to put off doing so for a while longer, partly because I'm hoping others will stop by and leave remarks or responses, and also because I enjoy this kind of blabbing so much that I want to save some of it for later.  :)  Is that pathetic or bizarre?  Pheh, I don't care!  :P

TentacleFan

1:  Do you have favorite musical groups, or do you more have favorite songs, without caring much who the artists are?  If you have favorite musical groups (bands or solo artists), please name a few of them.  If you're willing to rank them by personal preference, all the better.

I have so many groups or artists that I adore that making a list of them all would prove difficult. I will put a few down here, but in doing so I am leaving so many off just because I'd have a really huge list otherwise. These are in no particular order as I could not possibly rate some of these as higher than others.

Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Tori Amos
The Beatles
The Pixies
The Clash
Joy Division
The Cure
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Franz Ferdinand
Queen
Muse
Depeche Mode
The Smiths
The Dresden Dolls
The Cramps
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks
Talking Heads
Tom Waits
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Leonard Cohen
David Bowie

I'll probably have to come back when I realize I've missed somebody and put more on.  ;D

Lately I find a lot of stuff when listening to stations I've made on Pandora. I used to read magazines but not anymore. I listen to word of mouth from friends and also from other artists via online sources. Don't do radio as I can play Pandora or Google Music or my MP3s in my car and at home.

I won't lie, I've torrented music in the past, some stuff (live/bootleg music) can't be gotten any other way and sometimes you want to try something out before buying it as well. I do spend money on albums for artists I care about, usually via Amazon.com as they're my prefered online music store. I also have a small vinyl collection. I used to buy cd's but got rid of most of them after moving the music to my hard drive.

There are so many that have. I'd go with Nine Inch Nails as a band that has been with me for a long time. I know some people don't get the appeal of music speaking to darker emotions, but to me it was an outlet, especially in my teen years to letting me know that I wasn't alone when I felt shitty about life or myself or other things. Those albums, especially the ones from that period, Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, & The Downward Spiral really were there for me.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

JackWhite

1: I think I'm more of a favourite song-man but most of the songs that I like are from artist that produces quite a few good songs (in my opinion). So I'll put myself between the two. Maybe it's even better to describe me as a genre-man.

(No order of preference)

No Use For A Name - International You Day, For Fiona, Soulmate, Dumb Reminders, Chasing Rainbows
Zebrahead - Anthem, Ricky Bobby, Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right But Three Rights Make A Left
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg bop
Rise Against - Give it All, The Dirt Whispered, Swing Life Away
Flatcat - My Lionheart Beats On, Rockstar Fantasy, Beautiful in Venice,
New Found Glory - My Friend's over You, Dressed to Kill
Millencolin - No Cigar
Less Than Jake - Plastic CUp Politics, Look What Happened
Teenage Bottlerocket - Skate or Die, Bloothbad at Burger King
Last Shot Fired - If We Ever Get Paid
KISS - Rock 'n Roll All Nite
Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes, You'd better bet
Four Year Strong - It Must Really Suck To Be Four Year Strong Right Now, On A Saterday, Wasting Time (Eternal Summer)
Fountains of Wayne - All Kinds of Time
Fall Out Boy - Thnks fr th Mmrs, Dance, Dance
Bouncing Souls - Lean on Sheena
Bowling for Soup - Sometimes, Girl All The Bad Guys Want, Highschool Never Ends
blink-182 - Dammit, First Date, Rockshow, What's My Age Again, Dumpweed, All The Small Things, Going Away to College
The Black Pacific - The System
The Red Jumpsuit Apperentus - Face Down
Simple Plan - I'd Do Anything
The Verve Pipe - The Freshmen
Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

Some ofBeethoven, Mozart, Bach, ...

2: Last.fm, friends with the same musical taste, youtube recommended videos sometimes
3: If I like enough songs of an artist I go to their concerts when they are close enough. The distance I want to travel for a concert depends on the artist.
4: 19

Type70item

1. Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away
2. Metallica - Ronnie
3. Schandmaul - Wolfsmensch
4. Elis - Der Letze Tag

I would have to say above all, Pink Floyd is my favorite, I stole the Animals tape (yes, cassette tape.. showing my age) From my uncle when I was 6 and grew addicted to them.

Normaly I look online (youtube) occasionly with some help by friends who share links on facebook or forums. I'll usually just follow the recomended songs that pop up on the side untill I locate a new band or song that gets added to my list

Jolly roger pirate heh, A lot of the music I listen to is foreign (german, finnish, russian) so most stores here in america don't carry the albums. I would pay for things like concert DVDs and the like if the price of getting it shipped so far wasn't too harsh.

Pink Floyd would be my inspiration, especially the era after David Gilmour took the reigns for lyrical style. Aswell as his guitar abilitys, how his solos sound almost like another set of lyrics to the song. He was the one who inspired me as a teenager to get a job and buy my first guitar

Zylvyn

1:  I definitely have some favourite musical groups... and some specific songs as well from groups/artists that I don't really care for.  For example, I'm a huge classical metallica, megadeth and rush fan... the tragically hip are also heroes of mine, as well as blood stain child and crazy people like Brentalfloss or George Watsky... but I also love specific songs... like Munster Rag by Brad Paisley, or On The Brightside by NeverShoutNever...  Because my tastes span so many genres (pretty much anything that isn't bluegrass/country) it's super hard to compare them, as I have different music for different moods/personalities/random whims.

2: To find new artists, I pretty much avoid the radio like the plague... that's the same tired and rehashed crap over and over again, where I live (smaller town).  Back when Pandora allowed Canadians to use their service, I used Pandora to discover a LOT of new music... and then when they shut down I did the same with Last.fm...  Now I use Grooveshark, and maintain a subscription to their service.  You can make up a playlist of some of the kind of music you like and then turn on radio mode, which tries to find similar music for you.  I also linkhop on youtube a decent bit.

3:  I spend money supporting the artists that I like the most, and that's about it.  I listen to whatever I want on my phone, ipod and computer via Grooveshark, which I pay $3 a month for... but recently I just ordered all the albums that Daniel Tidwell has put out.
4:  26
5:  While I was in college, I underwent a LOT of personal issues, related a lot around depression, losing touch with reality, and surrealism... and whether you believe this or not, there were absolutely no drugs involved, either...  I was very isolated, very alone, and I spent a lot of time online, living in a fantasy world in a game... more time in a fantasy world than in reality, in fact... and it came to the point where it was all that I could think about...  While this was going on, at a point, I eventually started to lose sleep... I just couldn't stop crying about how much I hated my life and wished I could go to this fantasy world that I preferred so much.  A dear friend of mine... whom I ended up letting down in a very major way, later on... she could tell that something was up with me.  She taught music lessons, and as such was quite stellar with various instruments...  and she wrote a classical tune for me, played it on a fiddle and recorded it, emailing it to me.  I grew dependant on that song, but it helped me sleep...  and as such helped me get through a very ... uninteresting point in my life.

[/quote]
A million faces each a million lies, for each and all a chrome disguise.  Prompts for action, force reaction.  Embody promise in a sheen so pure.

Ons, Offs, and things left unsaid
My status - Updated:  1.17.2013 - THPT, life... Thpt!
My RP Requests

GardenoftheDead

1. I typically care more about albums and artists then songs. A few include Isis, My Bloody Valentine, Nirvana, Muse, Melvins, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Russian Circles, Agalloch and Boris.

2. Forums, Pandora, and Last.fm

3. I try to spend money when I can, especially for smaller independent artists like Airs, Izalith, and Russian Circles.

4. 19 years old.

5. I'll tell you about two. Nevermind by Nirvana made me care about music. I hadn't heard anything before that sounded like this album did, and it was incredible. It convinced me to keep playing guitar. The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails completely turned everything I thought I knew about music upside-down. I never listened to albums the same way again, and it got me away from my habit of rejecting electronic music.
"I am you. I am a shadow, the true self."

rick957

Wow I thought this thread was long dead, and then TentacleFan turns up with a busload of friends.  :)

I had a lot of fun chitchattering about people's posts before, so I reckon I'm going to do it some more.  But if you'd rather I not respond to your post, just let me know and I'll do some editing below.  (What the frick?  I keep rhyming by accident today.)  Or feel free to chatter back some!  New posters are welcome too ...

@Tsais

Well crap I see that you haven't been on the site for a long time, so you'll probably never see these remarks, and you might think that would stop me from making them, but you'd be wrong!  Heh.  (I like to hear myself talk ...)

Ooo that's so cool how you listed two or three songs from each of your favorite artists.  Some day when I have even more time to kill, I plan to go net-searching for songs by all the artists mentioned in this thread that I'm not familiar with, so that will help a lot.  Your favorites that I recognize are Opeth and Scott Joplin ... Score a big one for musical diversity!  I love ragtime even though I don't have much of it.  People I know whose taste I respect are always recommending Opeth to me.  You like quite a few bands I've never heard of, which makes me suspect that I'm too old and out-of-touch to know the rest of them.  :P  But I dig the older bands you like.

Hmm, Opeth played with Dream Theater?  Who opened for who I wonder?  My money's on DT opening but I don't know the genre well enough to say for sure.

Your comments about Ghost Reveries were inspiring.  It helps me a lot to hear people describe their responses to music, in terms of figuring out if they find music as moving and important as I do.  I'll keep an eye out for the album.

I'm gonna run long here I see.  Oh well -- onward!

@TentacleFan

Wow you have great taste.  :)  Heh by that I suppose I mean that you and I like a crapload of the same bands and artists ... maybe moreso than anyone else who has posted so far.  The nicest thing about that for me is that it makes me extra-interested in the few artists you mentioned whose music I'm less familiar with.

I finally checked out Pandora after seeing it recommended so many times by so many people.  I was thrilled by the interface and user-friendliness and structure of the site, but then I pulled up a song I knew well and found the sound-quality kinda disappointing.  I remember reading some place long long ago that people like Neil Young were really pissed about the sound-quality decline that took place with CDs as opposed to the older formats like vinyl ... I still feel that way about MP3s/ipods/streaming/etc. vs. CDs, but I also imagine that my audio-snobbery seems just as weird to other people as his did to me way back when.

About NIN -- I hear ya.  :)  Those albums (especially the three you cited) were and remain huge to me.

Boy I can run on forever, huh?  Gonna stop now and do something else.  But I'll be back to bug (respond) to the rest of the posts later on ....

TentacleFan

QuoteWow you have great taste.  :)  Heh by that I suppose I mean that you and I like a crapload of the same bands and artists ... maybe moreso than anyone else who has posted so far.  The nicest thing about that for me is that it makes me extra-interested in the few artists you mentioned whose music I'm less familiar with.

I finally checked out Pandora after seeing it recommended so many times by so many people.  I was thrilled by the interface and user-friendliness and structure of the site, but then I pulled up a song I knew well and found the sound-quality kinda disappointing.  I remember reading some place long long ago that people like Neil Young were really pissed about the sound-quality decline that took place with CDs as opposed to the older formats like vinyl ... I feel that way about MP3s/ipods/streaming/etc. vs. CDs, but I also imagine that my audio-snobbery seems just as weird to other people as his did to me way back when.

About NIN -- I hear ya.  :)  Those albums (especially the three you cited) were and remain huge to me.

Thanks! I do the same, taking ideas from others who like enough of the same artists I do. Pandora is nice for the convenience and light years ahead of the radio for finding out about diverse music artists/groups that you'd never hear about on the radio (especially where I live at least). I know for many audio enthusiasts nothing beats actual Vinyl (I only have a small collection of vinyl myself). I mainly use MP3 for the convenience of it all.

My most recent change since I posted my first response is to more heavily use Google Music. I've uploaded over 2,000 songs to it to date and no longer have to switch them around from my computer to my phone/mp3 player anymore.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014