Interest check Greek mythology[mul](closed)

Started by Fragile Dreams, November 22, 2008, 03:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I'm torn between two ideas, and it sort of comes down to what others would be comfortable with, as one would have me playing cross-gender.  I'm thinking of either a male half-nymph (cursed with his mother's beauty), or a female half-god (who doesn't mind being a hero-type, but has trouble getting taken as more than a pretty face.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Fragile Dreams

When me and my buddies used to play this setting on DnD, i was a half-nymph Druid/Ranger. I don't think it's a curse being the most beautifull man around. Although, he might have a hard time around men, because they would be jealous of him, getting all the women. As for the female half-god, depends on your parent, you will have a hard time because someone will be after you.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Beautiful Lie

Going to raise my hand into this, Spartan male Half water nymph. Father got busy down by the river >.>; He's obviously a warrior, basics being the sword/spear and shield. Laconic nature, tries to only speak whats important and nothing more. Is aware of his beauty but not exactly comfortable with it being a warrior he values his strength over his charm. I'll have to think up a name though if I can get away with using a celtic name i'd just say Faolan.
The following sentence is True. The previous sentence is a Lie.

Fragile Dreams

Quote from: Beautiful Lie on November 23, 2008, 11:25:27 AMI'll have to think up a name though if I can get away with using a celtic name i'd just say Faolan.
Idea: Faolon or Faoloneus. :D

Seems that everyone wants to be a spartan :D there are other places you know you can choose of. Like my character, he is going to be from the northern tribes of Peonia, they were considered barbarians at that time but later on they will be known as Macedonians. Also there are the Myrmidones, Achilles's people. There are the Cretens, Athenians, Arkadians, Thessaloi, Amazons, Trojans, Scithes, Ptolemeans, Argeans and many more :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

It sounds like you've really done your homework. I can't wait to get started!
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain."

My Ons and Offs | My Wish List

Fragile Dreams

Well since i'm Greek and in love with the Greek mythology, my homework is done, all my life now. :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oniya

The hard time is half the fun, though. ;)  I'm thinking I'll go with the half-god, though.  A daughter of Poseidon and a mortal woman (*remembers certain Japanese woodcuts*), Meplia would be good with horses and a good swimmer, preferring to fight on horseback than on foot.  I'm anticipating that Athena would have it in for her.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beautiful Lie

I only say Spartan because i just got done studying Greece in Western Civ's and the Spartans were the best greek warriors. Now if I really wanted to think about it I -could- go with a druid build and look at the other city states for a river travelling guy. Problem is my understanding is greece didn't have much forested land. Mountains and more mountains?

Oniya

Druid doesn't have to equal forest, however a nip over to Wikipedia showed me this:

Quote[N]ortheastern Greece features yet another high-altitude mountain range, the Rhodope range, spreading across the periphery of East Macedonia and Thrace; this area is covered with vast, thick, ancient forests. The famous Dadia forest is in the prefecture of Evros, in the far northeast of the country.

Fragile Dreams

Thanks Oniya :D Not forgot to mention that Druids, used to gain their powers from the earth, not just the forests. They worshiped the Titan Gaia (mother earth) but they respected the gods like every mortal.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Beautiful Lie

Faolocus of Evros, half water nymph. Roams the forests and rivers avoiding cities as they make him uncomfortably aware of how attractive he is. Shy in his manners and more concerned with nature and helping the land than helping creatures and plants. Was raised by his mother and thus knows very little about people. A bit naive yet overly mistrustfull as he as seen the 'humans' cutting down the forests. He doesn't consider himself human. Hows that for an idea?

Fragile Dreams

Sounds wonderfull to me. It would be nice to have a fellow druid :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

I'm wondering if a druid would be better than a priestess. What do you think?

Beautiful Lie

Depends on your playstyle, in greece the priestesses were mighty powerfull inside city states you know? While out in the wilds the druids were top dog. In war though the warriors obviously rocked the house. Note: Athenian warriors were sailors, it was the Athenian navy that defeated Persia's sea forces.

Duchess

;D sound like the ideas are picking up....

i will stick with the young future oracle of delphi

will think on a name

Fragile Dreams

Both have their strengths and their flaws. I will explain better:
Priest
Strengths: High in respect, trustfull, powerfull magic depending on the god, considered the leader of the group, wealthy, even kings can be with one.
Flaws: Must pray all the time, sacrifices to the god, depending on the god he/she must have a standar typeof behavior(for example, the priest of Ares, is brutal, hideous and loves bloodshed, not to mention, wickedly evil.), has the opponent god's hate.

Druid
Strengths: Extremely powerfull, doesnt rely on gods to spellcast, respectfull, trusted amongst the nature's creatures, great natural abilities like shapeshift.
Flaws: Not trustworthy by people, close community among the druids, other druids observe anything you do.

Quote from: Beautiful Lie on November 23, 2008, 12:07:44 PM
Depends on your playstyle, in greece the priestesses were mighty powerfull inside city states you know? While out in the wilds the druids were top dog. In war though the warriors obviously rocked the house. Note: Athenian warriors were sailors, it was the Athenian navy that defeated Persia's sea forces.
Actualy Beautifull Lie, that happen 1000 years after where we begin. :D At our times, Athenians had little army and more philosophers, their major army were the kings army, which were about 3000 people and the priestesses of Athena, about 200

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

What all would you need from us in terms of character ideas?

Fragile Dreams

To have original characters, creative backgrounds, and detailed descriptions about them. I will creat a thread so you can all post about your characters and write your backgrounds. As soon as i find where to create it :P

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

Quote from: MrsNo6 on November 23, 2008, 08:53:45 AM
I was thinking a half-wood nymph priestess.

Ooooooooooooo a fair woman to write longing love peoms to.

As a Spartan woman bard she favors men and women as lovers, or older girls of suitable age naturally to educate them and guide them.

Oh what are the age limits we are using for sex scenes here, I think sixteen is still the effective site minimum I feel that would fit the time period that was into marriage age and Spartan women were rarely married until then or a bit older. But want to be sure.

And since Sparta honors Artesmis couldn't druids and the priests work together? Druids could tend the crops and animals on the richest lands in all of Greece to make the state stronger with well fed citizens. And priestesses handle the city aspects and act as oracles. Might make them even wierder to outsiders than all their other little indocincracies that outsiders didn't like.

Oniya

I think Demeter would be more into working with productive crops and herds than Artemis, as I understand it, but Artemis could certainly bless the city's hunters if properly appeased.

Fragile Dreams

Druids had their own community, hidden by common people. So hardly they could work with priests, the only time that someone could see them was at Eleusinia Mysteries (hoping we will get to the point, to play those.). Plus, only Apollo had oracles, since he was the God of future telling(see Pythia and the oracle of Delphi). As for minimum age, that time, a girl was considered a woman at her 14, but we will make it at 16.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~jfarrell/courses/myth/97/notes/oracles.html

Read under Oracles the Oracle at Delphi was the most powerful and well-known but there were others, in fact every temple would have one they officially read signs or omens that would give portants to the City-State or supplicants. And in Sparta there was a traveling oracle that gave one I know I watched the Spartan PBS special and one was traveling in the area an intinerant oracle coming through Sparta who gave one. Most temples would have a clergy oracle very likely if not more than one if large as assistants I would think.

So in fact she could be an oracle for any number of dieties, as long as it makes sense. Like be an oracle of Artemis in Sparta or an oracle of Athena in Athens its just how good she is at determining signs and portents or however she does it. Although Apollo would be the most likely and well regarded but another would not be unlikely either.

In fact a traveling priestess would be a fine oracle in training.

Fragile Dreams

Pausanias was saying about the oracle to Gaia. Who was not much different than a druid. The thing is that Zeus had her in limited power because Gaia was a titan. And because Apollo had to be the only god to give information about the future. Anyways, im looking for a place for you people to post about your characters and their backgrounds as an OOC thread. Still trying to figure out where, but the snow outside distracts me :D (we dont get a lot of snow around here :D)

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

Yes but oracle is a large blanket, a priest reading entrails was an oracle just tended to the matter at hand and making the people feel better I think but technically an oracle just told of the future. How they did it was another matter or if they were accurate. There is a difference between a woman asking a priest about an impending marriage and a City-State going off to war. It depends was the trip and massive fee worth it or not or would any oracle-priest work that was trustworthy.

I think kaboshing a player wanting to be an oracle is bad form, she could be one there were quite a few and several rather respectable. I could see her have her own oracle temple someday and make money and get wealth just wouldn't be as popular as the Delphic Oracle, naturally.

Oniya

It's definitely one of the Small Group forums to start with - I think since we're all human/oid (i.e., no one's playing a centaur or the like), it would be in one of the Human ones.  The only thing left is how intense it's likelt to get (Light, Bondage, Non-consensual, or Extreme).